(Southern California only) KROQ Contest promises private concert in your own garage

Yosuke Hanamura

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Have we seen anything about a winner? I assume @desertrose would be first to know? :D 

i've been wondering, if you did win, who's garage would you use?  :lol:

2 hours ago, lizziebix said:

i've been wondering, if you did win, who's garage would you use?  :lol:

Oh, I entered the contest to win a trip to the garage concert, not host it. :lol:

Sadly you have to live in California to be a host. Though if it was possible for me to enter that portion of the contest, I can pay a monthly fee to rent a garage at my apartment complex... so I'd do that. They're small, but that just means I'd be closer to Billie, right? :P

Rewatched the Tampa facebook live performance again today.   Seeing it live last night I was blown away by how much I love the band, not just their music but what they stand for.    It was a really good thing they did yesterday to raise money for Americares and I'm so proud of them.    They didn't have to do it but they did.

Today I am thinking about how some lucky so and so will have that kind of performance, and just the 3 of them presumably, in their garage.   THEIR OWN GARAGE!    I'm lost for words.    I really hope it's filmed and put out by the band so we can all see it.   I remember seeing on YouTube Foo Fighters doing a small garage tour years ago, it was a crazy idea but brilliant.    If I remember correctly each house had it's own little video with footage of the band and fan beforehand, building up to their set.    I hope we get to see this.     A priceless experience and I'm so happy for whoever wins.    I'm also hoping the band enjoys it so much it they do it again - UK please!   

Sidenote:  I have finally managed to upload my profile photo with help from my daughter.    Either it is complicated or I am inept :D 

4 minutes ago, uptightallthetime said:

Rewatched the Tampa facebook live performance again today.   Seeing it live last night I was blown away by how much I love the band, not just their music but what they stand for.    It was a really good thing they did yesterday to raise money for Americares and I'm so proud of them.    They didn't have to do it but they did.

Today I am thinking about how some lucky so and so will have that kind of performance, and just the 3 of them presumably, in their garage.   THEIR OWN GARAGE!    I'm lost for words.    I really hope it's filmed and put out by the band so we can all see it.   I remember seeing on YouTube Foo Fighters doing a small garage tour years ago, it was a crazy idea but brilliant.    If I remember correctly each house had it's own little video with footage of the band and fan beforehand, building up to their set.    I hope we get to see this.     A priceless experience and I'm so happy for whoever wins.    I'm also hoping the band enjoys it so much it they do it again - UK please!   

Sidenote:  I have finally managed to upload my profile photo with help from my daughter.    Either it is complicated or I am inept :D 

Nice pic 🙂

I'm with you I'm hoping we get to see this garage performance. I'm hanging my hope on the fact that they've been more high profile lately and are paying more attention to promotion. They have to know this would get a lot of attention on the interwebs. 

OMG that was painfully awkward! I hope they're big fans who realize and appreciate what they're getting.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

OMG that was painfully awkward! I hope they're big fans who realize and appreciate what they're getting.

I hope so too.   Assuming it will be parked nearby, what are the odds of Billie smashing THAT car with his guitar?    I can see how it would be distracting!

Well I'm guessing that wasn't how they thought that would go, like the colour of the car though and at least it looks like a double garage lol 😂 

Is it weird though that I actually was excited to see the garage? *stares all starry eyed* "That's the garage they're gonna play in!" 😍😍😍😂

8 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Why wouldn't they re-shoot that? Omg. :lol: 

A reshoot might have been even worse :lol: If that's the guy's real reaction, who knows how awkward a fake reaction might have been :D 

Oh my God, that was awful. I just hope this guy will be a little more enthusiastic when the boys play in his garage, otherwise Billie could really get mad and beat up the new car :lol:

So now the question is how do we get in touch with Alex to make a periscope for us. :dance:

15 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Oh my God, that was awful. I just hope this guy will be a little more enthusiastic when the boys play in his garage, otherwise Billie could really get mad and beat up the new car :lol:

Right? He looked incredibly bored. I would be having a heart attack if I heard Green Day was going to play my garage! I could care less about the Civic! (Although would be convenient for commutes to College.)

I'd be sobbing at the thought of not having a car payment, even if Green Day wasn't involved. I wonder if this guy was maybe just in shock or camera-shy? :huh:

2 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I'd be sobbing at the thought of not having a car payment, even if Green Day wasn't involved. I wonder if this guy was maybe just in shock or camera-shy? :huh:

He seemed a little stunned, but he may also just have a low key personality.  Congrats dude, now everyone on the internet is analyzing you! :lol:

1 hour ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

Right? He looked incredibly bored. I would be having a heart attack if I heard Green Day was going to play my garage! I could care less about the Civic! (Although would be convenient for commutes to College.)

I figured he might have been in shock. Or I'm saying that because the thought of him not being bothered is too painful :lol: 

I wonder if they'll "announce" the winner of the trip to California to see it, too? I assume they'll be picking that person any day now, now that the location has been chosen.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I thought it was today, it was definitely a day or two after Rose bowl while they're still in SoCal. I wonder if we'll only hear about it after it happens.

I wonder if it will be an all request show. It would be cool if they let the owner submit a wishlist of songs and they build a setlist around it. Think they'll play for about 45m to an hour?

Well, if I were part of band management or Hot Topic's promo team I'd figure out a way to stream the performance much like the Harvey set on Facebook Live and also incorporate a fan contest/ vote about the setlist as well. That'd probably generate some buzz and a ton of views (and also make the corporate sponsorship happy by virtue of the excitement). Hopefully it's not a set of songs they just played 100 times on tour in front of 30 semi interested people that'll be condensed into a 30 second highlight video. This is way too cool of an event to let something like that happen.

It's supposed to be tomorrow, according to the contest rules:

One (1) prize will be awarded at the conclusion of the Promotion. The prize includes the following: (i) one (1) 2017 Honda Civic Coupe LX; (ii) one (1) $500 Hot Topic gift card; (iii) a private performance by Green Day: performance for winner and twenty (20) friends at the winner’s residence (execution and location to be approved by KROQ and the band), tentatively scheduled for September 19, 2017; (iv) and two (2) front row tickets to Green Day at the Rose Bowl on September 16, 2017. The Station and the band must, in their sole and absolute discretion, approve of the residence provided by the winner. The winner may be required to show proof of homeownership or written approval/permission from the winner’s landlord in order to have the band perform at his or her residence. If the winner cannot provide an appropriate place for the band to perform, the station will provide a suitable alternative. The total Approximate Retail Value of the prize is $20,204.16.

Archived