(Southern California only) KROQ Contest promises private concert in your own garage

Yosuke Hanamura

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They probably didn't know until they got there if the crowd was going to be hardcore fans or casual fans. I find it strange that they didn't play some hits when they saw how people were reacting... But I'd say they probably just played whatever they wanted to play. All those are songs that they have a lot of fun playing. They play them whenever they can at soundcheck, small performances or scattered through the set in big shows, but they can't play them all at a big "normal"  show because lots of people would complain that they wanted to hear the hits. It reminds me of when Muse played a rare set at a festival in France and there were lots of complaints, whereas when they market a show as  "special" they're expected to play rarities. 

I'm also thinking, being only 20 people there and most of them not knowing the lyrics may have brought some nostalgia.... Haha.

I could care less if they played Happy Birthday for 30 min. If Green Day played my back yard it would be one of the greatest days of my life, possibly surpassing the birth of my children.  

7 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

If you want a much more up to date and accurate account of what bands cost, find out what venues they are playing (take the average ticket cost and subtract about 25-30%) and use Pollstarpro, the standard. It has actuals (also knows an real numbers).

Also depends on the type of event (festival, one off, tour, multi-day). Obviously GD gets paid differently for a 50k Rose Bowl show than a 18K El Paso show. The economics of live music is also changing as bands make less on music sales.  Problem is as bands make less on ticket sales, the labels want more of the ticket sales and therefore have been working it in to the contracts which used to be a bands way to make some money outside of sales.  

Let me break it down like this. 500k+ for GD is a joke. LN collected over 2 mill at the Rose Bowl, add a portion of concession (lots of money), merchandise (lots of money) and do you think GD is collecting less than 1/4 of that money? No, they get the lion share of it. And of course there is venue rental, cost of promotion, cost of stage hands and everything else but still even at the arena shows they get well over that.

Again, look at the pollstarpro numbers for real numbers are on what they've collected this tour.

I thought you might know more on this subject! Yeah I guess they made conservative estimates all round there (GD in the top range with a "+" added for good measure doesn't really look bad on them), with the amount they make from regular shows and no real need to play private shows they'd have to be given a very attractive reason to do it that's for sure.

Setlist looks pretty cool to see in a tiny place to me! Must have been an amazing thing to see. Is that a house/garage though? I can't tell. When I saw in the terms and conditions that a different venue could be supplied by the radio station if the home wasn't considered suitable I assumed the chances of them not just going ahead and using a more convenient venue than a house were slim to none but would be cool if it was actually their house.

1 minute ago, Todd said:

Person who posted the setlist picture said "Fuck These People" is a new song for sure. 

That's what I was thinking. It wouldn't be very nice of them to tell people to fuck off at the beginning. :P

A GD song called Fuck These People couldn't be anything but amazing. I hope it is. Although if it was some kind of message that would also be hilarious :lol: 

Just now, Hermione said:

Although if it was some kind of message that would also be hilarious :lol: 

Wouldn't you just love it if Green Day came to your house, greeted with a fuck you and then played a private show? I would! :ga:

31 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Setlist looks pretty cool to see in a tiny place to me! Must have been an amazing thing to see. Is that a house/garage though? I can't tell. When I saw in the terms and conditions that a different venue could be supplied by the radio station if the home wasn't considered suitable I assumed the chances of them not just going ahead and using a more convenient venue than a house were slim to none but would be cool if it was actually their house.

The setlist photo is tagged at "Hurley HQ" so guess they did exactly that.

New song though??? Doesn't that alone make it an A+ set list :runaround: 

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Wouldn't you just love it if Green Day came to your house, greeted with a fuck you and then played a private show? I would! :ga:

:wub::wub:  (excuse me, wrong thread?)

"Fuck These People" is the greatest song title ever! And 20 people got to hear it!! :runaround: New Green Day!!!!! :woot:

And that better be the title of their next album too 😂😂😂

6 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I'm confused. Did a video of 2000 Light Years Away from this garage show show up somewhere? I think they play rarities when it's the small crowds because a) energy/momentum is less of a factor and b) they figure it's only die hard fans. I wish they'd change up the set list too but I don't think it's fair to call them dicks for not doing so unless it's because they don't give a shit, which I can't imagine is the case. 

Nah they’re a band of dicks

13 minutes ago, Jaymee!! said:

They didn't have to agree to do this at all you know. Credit where it's due.

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They didn't have to agree to do this at all you know. Credit where it's due.

Really? I thought they had absolutely no say in anything they do ever

That's a pretty special setlist for a show they didn't have to even do and it was in a freaking garage!

Told you guys the other day to look for songs you never heard before at pop up shows. Didn't think that fast.

Doesn’t look like a garage after all but I guess that makes sense for all sorts of reasons, especially from a security point of view.   A stage though?   Wasn’t expecting that, thought it would be really back to basics.

Inspired song title and choice of opener.   I doubt it’s directed at the audience but perhaps they wrote it yesterday when they fully realised what management had signed them up to do? 😉

Joking.  It will likely be about Nazis and/or US government.   Remember they wrote RevRad before he who I shall not name was even elected, and with all that’s happened since I bet Billie Joe has a lot of songs on the go.

Maybe it's a working title and one of those songs where the title isn't in the lyrics. Seriously, if this song is topical he may want to premiere it on Fallon. Great way to promote a thing like Global Citizen fest and better than waiting a year or two for it to come out on an album.  It may be something he wants people to hear sooner rather than later and they were testing it out. Now I'm really excited. New song at GC Fest?

3 hours ago, Todd said:

Person who posted the setlist picture said "Fuck These People" is a new song for sure. 

Wow, this is so exciting! Loving the title, even if it's just a working tite! Also, why does the setlist say "Too Dumb to Do"? Whatever happened to "Too Dumb to Die"? This is even worse than the missing "s" in "Bouncing Off the Wall" :lol:

2 hours ago, Jaymee!! said:

Except for Billie, he's a reformed dick. 

Am I the only one who's a bit angry at the person who filmed the hardcore oldschool deep cut super rare speciality 2000LYA but not the new song? :thumbsdown: :lol:

48 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe it's a working title and one of those songs where the title isn't in the lyrics. Seriously, if this song is topical he may want to premiere it on Fallon. Great way to promote a thing like Global Citizen fest and better than waiting a year or two for it to come out on an album.  It may be something he wants people to hear sooner rather than later and they were testing it out. Now I'm really excited. New song at GC Fest?

Might be a little tough from a censoring standpoint...

1 hour ago, gaslight13 said:

Might be a little tough from a censoring standpoint...

Never stopped them before...

I'm assuming it's a working title though and not actually in the lyrics (not that that is always a fair assumption)

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

A GD song called Fuck These People couldn't be anything but amazing. I hope it is. Although if it was some kind of message that would also be hilarious :lol: 

"Here's a song that we wrote 30 minutes ago! Say HEEEEEOOOOHHH" :toocool:

I wonder how drastically the title will change if it ever surfaces. :lol:

Archived