Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

3 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

He said "Kill Donald Trump" at a show in California, where the majority of people oppose Trump. Yes, it was a bit extreme, but he's not gonna say that at a show in Texas, where there are a lot of Trump supporters. He wants to express his opposition of Trump, but he's filtering himself so that it doesn't become too much of an issue. He's always said/done stuff like this, so he's not unhinged - he knows what he's doing.

Also, he's said that he has family members that are Trump supporters and he respects their views although he doesn't agree with them. That's not ripping opposing views.

Hey, he's an entertainer, not the president. Unfortunately we have a president who is unhinged.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Justin said:

He smashed a guitar against a car which in turn sent the crowd into a wild frenzy. Billie is an incredible attention seeker, he does things for a reaction. Let's go back to 04/05 when he would always say fuck George bush. Brandon Flowers even came out and said Billie is a smart man who chose to do Bullet In A Bible in England so he would chant Bush hate and would get the biggest reaction because let's face it, you'll find 99% of us Brits will jump on anything that ridicules the US.

Not going to try and talk to much politics without credibility so correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't follow the election that closely. Is he choosing more democratic states to talk about Trump hate, didn't Washington, Oregon and California all vote democrats. Is he going to scream Kill Trump in Texas next month? I'd be surprised. 

This is nothing about unhinged, this is him doing things to get the crowd buzzing and eating out his hands which guess what they did.

All I'm saying is that the guitar smashing into the Subaru and yelling 'Kill Donald Trump' is the EXACT same behaviour as his 'iheart meltdown', aside from being wasted while doing it. 

And again, to me (and clearly to a lot of casual facebook fans) there is a big difference in saying 'Fuck Donald Trump' and inciting 25,000 people at a live show to 'Kill Donald Trump', as well as constantly criticize his political stances on their Social Media. It's a big turn off to some people, and I'm sure would be a lot for their manager to handle, that's all I'm saying. 

Perhaps he is using his platform for the democrats in those states, I'm not sure. I don't see what kind of voters he would round up with those types of antics though lol.

3 minutes ago, thundercatmary said:

Also would Pat be at fault for the stuff like the canceled concert or the stuff with the acrobat? 

I don't think he's at fault for those things happening, just how the fallout reflects on the bands image and the media response painting them in a bad light. A manager's job is image and damage control and that's on him.

3 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

All I'm saying is that the guitar smashing into the Subaru and yelling 'Kill Donald Trump' is the EXACT same behaviour as his 'iheart meltdown', aside from being wasted while doing it. 

Must be the EXACT same as throwing mud at the crowd, and encouraging people to spit at the TV cameras so too.

Except none of it is the same as iHeart really is it?

It wasn't the behavior at iheart that was so different, it was how impaired Billie was that he couldn't sing or play guitar that was over the line and unprofessional to the point it pissed everyone off, even his bandmates. Can't compare it to anything else really because it wasn't about whether he smashed a guitar or what he said. 

There are obviously differences.. I'm just saying whether he's sober or not, it's still drawing REALLY bad backlash from fans and that usually has to get sorted out by management.

Its just a possibility anyway.. Pat parting ways could be anything! I just get the vibe it's negative because it came out of left field and there is very little details about it.. never a good sign lol.

4 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

There are obviously differences.. I'm just saying whether he's sober or not, it's still drawing REALLY bad backlash from fans and that usually has to get sorted out by management.

Its just a possibility anyway.. Pat parting ways could be anything! I just get the vibe it's negative because it came out of left field and there is very little details about it.. never a good sign lol.

I have seen no major backlash from fans. Anyone  who thinks Billie being political on social media is wrong obviously does not know much about him or Green Day. Give me a break. And if you think this isn't a good time to speak out politically, you're not paying attention. 

15 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Pat has been great. Really sad to see him and the band split up. I sent him a note expressing that and he replied. 

Andres - Just ducked my head in for a bit to see if anyone actually knew what precipitated the split and *yeesh*.  Anyway I saw your GDA post last night and just wanted to shoot you a couple of thumbs-ups.  At a time when words could easily escape someone, you came up with the right ones.

You all just keep up the same relationship-building with Green Day's new management as you did with Pat's group and it'll turn out alright.

15 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I have seen no major backlash from fans. Anyone  who thinks Billie being political on social media is wrong obviously does not know much about him or Green Day. Give me a break. And if you think this isn't a good time to speak out politically, you're not paying attention. 

All you have to do is read the comment section of their facebook posts directed at Donald Trump! Their top comments are from people saying 'I'm sick and tired of your political comments, stick to music!' and 'I've been a fan of you guys all my life, and I'm never buying anything of yours again and unfollowing you!' Not only that, but these comments are liked and supported by hundreds to thousands of people. It might be 'punk rock' but it's not a good situation for managers to deal with.. that's all I'm saying! 

https://m.facebook.com/GreenDay/photos/a.10154850982094521.1073741830.21275344520/10155634360369521/?type=3&source=54

8 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

Not just huge promotional fan new site but maybe Green day will have more new music coming out..under new management..

I just think the boys wanted refresh their music direction and goes with new and upcoming ladel like Crush.

i am hoping.

But they can do that under any label

On 8/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, thundercatmary said:

Well if it's a change the band felt was necessary then good for them cause it can't be an easy decision.

Dumb question, this change would be something BJ, Tre and Mike all agree on right?

Also would Pat be at fault for the stuff like the canceled concert or the stuff with the acrobat? Just wondering if it's something that would even involve him.

Pardon my ignorance in all this stuff lol.

No, it's better to ask a thought rather than think it and call it truth.

Unfortunately, it's a complex answer that nobody has all the answers to.

You, nor I, or even the people like the tour manager and publicists can give you a "true" answer because the truth may lay somewhere unearthed.

I, nor anyone else can tell you for sure if the band was unified, if it was even their decision or management. They do things to save face for each other. There is mutual respect even when there is anger (think of a sibling relationship) and the band of course is going to come out unified. I mean not always but that's the goal.

As to what Pat was at fault for, you can't know that but you can make your own speculations and they are just as valid as anyone else's.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, Justin1 said:

All you have to do is read the comment section of their facebook posts directed at Donald Trump! Their top comments are from people saying 'I'm sick and tired of your political comments, stick to music!' and 'I've been a fan of you guys all my life, and I'm never buying anything of yours again and unfollowing you!' Not only that, but these comments are liked and supported by hundreds to thousands of people. It might be 'punk rock' but it's not a good situation for managers to deal with.. that's all I'm saying! 

But you realize the silent minority is much louder than the quiet majority.

That said, I have been concerned about his actions lately. Strictly out of care as I'm sure many of you have been whether voiced or not.

56 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Andres, there is nothing to worry about either way.

I guarantee you Daniel will be in touch with you guys and probably be even more hands on.

Jumped on here specifically looking for your take on this, Adam.  Thanks for the insights as always!

34 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

And again, to me (and clearly to a lot of casual facebook fans) there is a big difference in saying 'Fuck Donald Trump' and inciting 25,000 people at a live show to 'Kill Donald Trump', as well as constantly criticize his political stances on their Social Media. It's a big turn off to some people, and I'm sure would be a lot for their manager to handle, that's all I'm saying. 

Perhaps he is using his platform for the democrats in those states, I'm not sure. I don't see what kind of voters he would round up with those types of antics though lol.

I think you're nuts if you think that was a kin to the iheart meltdown and you're doubly incorrect IMHO that he was inciting 25k people to do what you said.

He is performing on stage and he lives in Cali as do I and you know what, Trump is flirting with his words at the peril of possibly hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives with the thought of global thermal nuclear war. You don't tweet shit like that or say it at all.

It might seem on the surface like a good idea to treat Un as Trump is, but at the end of the day, he is making a unilateral decision that could in theory cost many lives on the printing of a Washing Post article about a private intel group who said the same thing about their "small nuclear warhead" 3x over the last 12 years and have been wrong every time but Trump is so fucking stupid that he doesn't know that. Nobody certainly told him that.  He's a fucking idiot with the codes and in my wildest dreams when he was elected, did I think we would be here. Frightening.

7 minutes ago, Bastard of 1967 said:

Jumped on here specifically looking for your take on this, Adam.  Thanks for the insights as always!

:) I'll give you some more info over PM later. Hope you're well.

The band cancelled gigs due to weather in the past, specifically on the 4th of July as a matter of fact. Pat remained manager. Do you think he cancelled Scotland for shits and giggles? What happened in Spain was tragic but we learned afterwards that the band were unaware of the situation until after the gig as the mad cool festival promoter's did not inform them and decided to proceed with the gig. No reason to believe Pat was informed or to blame. He's been their manager for over 21 years, I'm sure he's smart enough to know not to send a band into a complete PR disaster by not telling them someone just died on the stage they're about to play on. What would be the point in that?! If anything perhaps dealing with these things are just more examples of strain Pat was under on the tour but not reasons for the band to chuck HIM!!

5 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

I think you're nuts if you think that was a kin to the iheart meltdown and you're doubly incorrect IMHO that he was inciting 25k people to do what you said.

He is performing on stage and he lives in Cali as do I and you know what, Trump is flirting with his words at the peril of possibly hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives with the thought of global thermal nuclear war. You don't tweet shit like that or say it at all.

It might seem on the surface like a good idea to treat Un as Trump is, but at the end of the day, he is making a unilateral decision that could in theory cost many lives on the printing of a Washing Post article about a private intel group who said the same thing about their "small nuclear warhead" 3x over the last 12 years and have been wrong every time but Trump is so fucking stupid that he doesn't know that. Nobody certainly told him that.  He's a fucking idiot with the codes and in my wildest dreams when he was elected, did I think we would be here. Frightening.

Okay, this will be my last comment on the subject because I'm just repeating myself and I honestly don't care that much..

There is no difference between smashing your guitar in a fit and screamimg 'I'm not fucking Justin Bieber' and smashing your guitar into a car and yelling 'Kill Donald Trump' (behaviour wise) .. but I get that the iheart incident was different because If his personal shit.

Most rational people would obviously know that when he yells 'Kill Donald Trump' at a concert, he's not seriously inciting everyone to actually do that.. BUT there are a lot of little kids that go to these shows that can't process that properly, and don't necessarily have the best parents to explain to them.. see what I mean?

Amyway, all is well that ends well, and I hope the new management transforms into good things for their future :)

21 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

https://m.facebook.com/GreenDay/photos/a.10154850982094521.1073741830.21275344520/10155634360369521/?type=3&source=54

You think this is new? 90% of the people commenting are not Green Day fans, never have been and never will be. They are trolls and bots who are unleashed to anything on Facebook that is negative about Trump. I'm surprised you're not aware of this. People who are actually fans are not going to be either surprised or upset by Billie's anti-Trump statements, even if the fan isn't anti-Trump, because this is just an integral part of the band.

I really don't think saying "Kill Donald Trump" is that big a deal. As has been said before, he's just saying what a lot of people are thinking and are too afraid to say out loud. But I believe this belongs in the Trump thread.

The more I think about this, the more I believe it's due to mismanagement, but I don't think there's any drama most people would want there to be.

6 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

The band cancelled gigs due to weather in the past, specifically on the 4th of July as a matter of fact. Pat remained manager. Do you think he cancelled Scotland for shits and giggles? What happened in Spain was tragic but we learned afterwards that the band were unaware of the situation until after the gig as the mad cool festival promoter's did not inform them and decided to proceed with the gig. No reason to believe Pat was informed or to blame. He's been their manager for over 21 years, I'm sure he's smart enough to know not to send a band into a complete PR disaster by not telling them someone just died on the stage they're about to play on. What would be the point in that?! If anything perhaps dealing with these things are just more examples of strain Pat was under on the tour but not reasons for the band to chuck HIM!!

I believe that someone who is very knowledgeable has just given us a good idea of the reasons for the split, and obviously that was one of many factors.

So anyway this thread is about Pat Magnarella no longer being GD's manager, not about Billie's behaviour and political statements and how popular they are with fans. If all you want to do is comment on Billie's on stage antics and political statements or speculate about reasons for them or compare them to iheart don't bother posting, let's get back to the topic at hand please.

40 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

As to what Pat was at fault for, you can't know that but you can make your own speculations and they are just as valid as anyone else's.

I believe this is what they said actually 

14 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I believe that someone who is very knowledgeable has just given us a good idea of the reasons for the split, and obviously that was one of many factors.

The way I'm looking at this is Pat was their manager for a long time and saw Green Day at their best and their worst. He has steered them past probably the most rocky patch of their career and now that the Green Day ship is back in calmer waters he sees this as a nice time to step away. Just my own personal view of the situation and the overall job he has done for Green Day.

Yeah thank you @LaughingClock for your insights. I was more worried about all of this than I wanted to be, and your words helped a lot. I hope everyone and everything will be fine. 

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

:) I'll give you some more info over PM later. Hope you're well.

Been good here.  Busy as hell, but good!  Kid starts 4th grade on Monday (Texas schools start early).  Looking forward to the Austin gig next month, you figure out yet if you can get yourself out there for an overnight?

17 minutes ago, Bastard of 1967 said:

Been good here.  Busy as hell, but good!  Kid starts 4th grade on Monday (Texas schools start early).  Looking forward to the Austin gig next month, you figure out yet if you can get yourself out there for an overnight?

What date is that show? We should probably pull this on PM as it's way off topic but yeah, my daughter starts kindergarten on the 28th! Can't believe it.

To swing it just a little bit back on topic, I'm gonna take her to her first show at the Rose Bowl show. :) so looking forward to that and so is she. My wife has been infecting her mind with pure pop crap and she's liking it. I had her loving nothing but the best but now she is liking good music and some not so good. Lol. I might make the Austin show. Let's see how these next setlists go. If even a chance of a couple different songs and maybe. I'm supposed to meet some people at wrigley but think I'm canceling that show too. Be well brother.

26 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Yeah thank you @LaughingClock for your insights. I was more worried about all of this than I wanted to be, and your words helped a lot. I hope everyone and everything will be fine. 

Yeah, nothing to worry about. Well plenty to worry about but not with GD. As I said earlier, the acquisition of a hot new manager is a sign of desired longevity, not the opposite. Personally, I love Pat and his team and so I'm a little bummed but I'm glad they went with Crush. Daniel is fucking awesome. Look for some good changes. Things that he may "demand" that needs demanding. Without getting into it, this tour exposed a lot of leaks in the roof.

I've just heard bad things about that guy from people I know who met him so I'm glad he left.

Archived