Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

This was kinda surprising to read - 21 years is a long time. And the band have gotten into a fuck ton of trouble in that time, anyone who thinks that anything they've done recently could push Pat over the edge is projecting :lol: I know speculation is pointless as we know nothing, but my guess would be that Pat's just stepping back after a long career. Maybe!

I don't know how much influence Pat had over promotion but maybe the change will be a good thing in that regard.

3 hours ago, Justin said:

he joined around Insomniac era...... they stop playing songs from Insomniac..... Pat no longer manages them....... 🤔🤔🤔🤔

See this setlist is evil pure evil 

Most sensible theory in the thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Justin1 said:

There's a difference between contributing a song to a rock against Bush album and inciting violence or hatred towards the president. And the whole Iheart was admittedly Billie's demons.

I'm not saying I care or disagree with what Billie says, but from a 'serious manager/non fan perspective' it's probably not an easy thing to deal with, and this is the most unhinged they've ever been (without drug abuse as a reason) 

Lol no it isn't. They've done WAY more unhinged things and said many more extreme things back in the 90s, and they said and did much more than just contributing a song against Bush, none of which was only because of drug abuse. Speaking out against an unhinged president isn't unhinged. Do you seriously think they're harder to deal with now as seasoned professionals than when they were young trashing hotel rooms and doing crazy stuff all the time just because of some Instagram posts?

3 hours ago, luketrebilliemike said:

I hope the new manager also sees the huge promotional value of having a fan news site and forum. 

Pat may have just left for family or other personal reasons, 21 years is a long time and I'm sure he got paid a Fuckton for doing so, maybe he wants some me too :) 

I don't think we will see any changes to how green day is run for at least a few weeks tho 

Not just huge promotional fan new site but maybe Green day will have more new music coming out..under new management..

I just think the boys wanted refresh their music direction and goes with new and upcoming ladel like Crush.

i am hoping.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Lol no it isn't. They've done WAY more unhinged things and said many more extreme things back in the 90s, and they said and did much more than just contributing a song against Bush, none of which was only because of drug abuse. Speaking out against an unhinged president isn't unhinged. Do you seriously think they're harder to deal with now as seasoned professionals than when they were young trashing hotel rooms and doing crazy stuff all the time just because of some Instagram posts?

I'm not answering for Justin but just pointing out he wasn't suggesting Billie was unhinged because of his Instagram posts. He said

10 hours ago, Justin1 said:

and BJ's been totally unhinged with his 'Kill Donald Trump' shit 

1 hour ago, Caroline Truong said:

Not just huge promotional fan new site but maybe Green day will have more new music coming out..under new management..

I just think the boys wanted refresh their music direction and goes with new and upcoming ladel like Crush.

i am hoping.

I believe we have established they aren't moving labels.

6 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I'm not answering for Justin but just pointing out he wasn't suggesting Billie was unhinged because of his Instagram posts. He said

Alright then, because of some hyperbole on stage that's no more extreme or opinionated than many other things he's said on stage in the past.

21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Alright then, because of some hyperbole on stage that's no more extreme or opinionate than many other things he's said on stage in the past.

I don't remember him yelling "Kill George Bush", "Kill Obama", "Kill Clinton".  Hyperbole or not he was talking about killing someone who happened to be president (regardless of what a dick he may be). Name one thing more extreme or equally as extreme he's said onstage in the past. 

Just now, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I don't remember him yelling "Kill George Bush", "Kill Obama", "Kill Clinton".  Hyperbole or not he was talking about killing someone who happened to be president (regardless of what a dick he may be). Name one thing more extreme he's said onstage in the past. 

I dunno, off the top of my head he once led a chant of "fuck christ!" apparently, and said he's glad people are dead on more than one occasion. He's never held back from talking about people in power he has a problem with. He does speak quite strongly about Trump but that's probably because he feels more strongly about Trump than previous presidents.

5 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I don't remember him yelling "Kill George Bush", "Kill Obama", "Kill Clinton".  Hyperbole or not he was talking about killing someone who happened to be president (regardless of what a dick he may be). Name one thing more extreme or equally as extreme he's said onstage in the past. 

One time didn't he say the same thing about Steve Jobs? 

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I dunno, off the top of my head he once led a chant of "fuck christ!" apparently, and said he's glad people are dead on more than one occasion. He's never held back from talking about people in power he has a problem with. He does speak quite strongly about Trump but that's probably because he feels more strongly about Trump than previous presidents.

So fuck something that probably doesn't exist? Ouch. Terrible. Also I note you wrote "apparently". He sais he's glad people are dead? Yeah that's equivalent to yelling "Kill insert name"...oh wait no it isn't. Who among us isn't glad someone is dead?! Speaking strongly about Trump isn't a problem for his management I'm sure. It likely becomes a problem for Pat when Billie takes the stage in front of thousands of people and yells about killing the president. I'm sure it was just a small issue among possibly many but it was dumb.

7 minutes ago, Taylor_k2008 said:

No he said hoped he got cancer. Pretty sure people on here said he was drunk or something when he gave that rant? Even hoping someone gets cancer ironically is better than yelling "Kill Steve Jobs" for example.

7 minutes ago, Taylor_k2008 said:

Yes. He told "i hate Steve Jobs i hope i die of fucking cancer" or something like that

15 minutes ago, Taylor_k2008 said:

6 minutes ago, WorryRock02 said:

Yes. He told "i hate Steve Jobs i hope i die of fucking cancer" or something like that

"I can't wait for Steve Jobs to die of fucking cancer" is exactly what he said.

17 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

So fuck something that probably doesn't exist? Ouch. Terrible. Also I note you wrote "apparently". He sais he's glad people are dead? Yeah that's equivalent to yelling "Kill insert name"...oh wait no it isn't. Who among us isn't glad someone is dead?! Speaking strongly about Trump isn't a problem for his management I'm sure. It likely becomes a problem for Pat when Billie takes the stage in front of thousands of people and yells about killing the president. I'm sure it was just a small issue among possibly many but it was dumb.

Even if you do consider it worse than anything else he's said there's still no evidence Pat Magnarella had a problem with it or that it had anything to do with him not being their manager any more though. It's just an idea pulled out of thin air, coincidentally by someone who doesn't like what Billie's said about Trump himself. It just seems way over the top to speculate that when we have no idea whatsoever why he's left at this point.

Oh also I only said apparently because it's according to Aaron Cometbus and I haven't heard it myself :P. What I mean is he often used to say inflammatory things on stage.

30 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

No he said hoped he got cancer. Pretty sure people on here said he was drunk or something when he gave that rant? Even hoping someone gets cancer ironically is better than yelling "Kill Steve Jobs" for example.

I prefer to see it as 'fuck something that a lot of people care very strongly about'.  Whether it exists or not is irrelevant to the damage the statement can cause.  That said, I agree with you that his 'Kill Donald Trump' statement/request was one of the most extreme things he's said, and wasn't a good move at all.  Despite that, I doubt it is an issue that's led to them parting ways.  While it's a very not good thing to say on stage, I just can't see it causing that much of a problem with Pat that he'd step down, and it's really just a thing that's been hijacked as a conveniently timed explanation.  But at the moment, we're really all just guessing on the reason anyway.

Just now, Hermione said:

Even if you do consider it worse than anything else he's said there's still no evidence Pat Magnarella had a problem with it or that it had anything to do with him not being their manager any more though. It's just an idea pulled out of thin air, coincidentally by someone who doesn't like what Billie's said about Trump himself. It just seems way over the top to speculate that when we have no idea whatsoever why he's left.

I'm not saying it is the reason or a reason he left. I was simply correcting your quote earlier. Like I said yesterday we never knew what was going on behind the scenes in 2012 until Billie told us some stuff in the Rolling Stone interview a year later. There is no way to know if this is totally amicable or there was a vicious argument and Pat was left along a highway somewhere :lol: We have seen a spike in Billie acting "wilder" lately doing stuff like smashing up the car, encouraging the people to run naked across the arena and yelling "Kill Donald Trump". Totally unrelated to Pat's departure? Possibly. However there's a nagging part of my brain that can't forget when Bill Schneider suddenly left.

10 hours ago, willplaygame said:

"According to a source, the trio — comprised of Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tre Cool — is set to sign with Jonathan Daniel at Crush Music, home to Sia, Fall Out Boy, and Lorde, among others. [...]  Daniel founded Crush in 2003 and has grown its management roster to include Train (...), Panic! at the Disco, Weezer (who Magnarella represented at the time of their debut “Blue” album) (...) Crush also represents writers and producers and houses a publishing arm and a label. "

If they sign with Jonathan Daniel, I guess that means they're going to change labels?  

Look, maybe i'm wrong, i'm not too informed about music "politics" but why would Daniel represent them at another label than his own? 

Management does not equal record label. They signed with Reprise/WMG in 1993. The article clearly states they brought in Magnarella as their manager in 1996. 

I just hope it was a mutual and respectable parting and that both parties can succeed without each other -- and that GDA isn't negatively affected.

9 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Fair enough. It is however the best example of how "major problems" do not always make the news for many years.

Except this doesnt really seem like a major problem. They are changing manager we dont know why exactly so stop speculating to fuck

7 minutes ago, Mar said:

I just hope it was a mutual and respectable parting and that both parties can succeed without each other -- and that GDA isn't negatively affected.

Maybe this is an ignorant question, but why would it negatively affect GDA?

Also, after all this discussion, I'm still confused as to whether a manager or agent is in charge of promotion. And I think the promotion piece is key in this development if it falls on the manager. For instance, who is in charge of social media? Is that person under the guidance of management?

1 minute ago, EmmaCharlatan&Saints said:

Except this doesnt really seem like a major problem. They are changing manager we dont know why exactly so stop speculating to fuck

Huh? Go back and read my actual post before quoting me please.

4 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Huh? Go back and read my actual post before quoting me please.

Ive read all your posts on this topic and you are speculating he left because of Billies behaviour....we dont know why he left so stop sepculating about something you know nothing about

2 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Maybe this is an ignorant question, but why would it negatively affect GDA?

Because GDA had an excellent relationship with Pat as one of the key contacts at the band.  It's worth giving Andres's article a read over on GDA: http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/5744/

It's not necessarily going to have a negative effect on GDA, but it's obviously less than ideal to have such a great relationship end.

But the "Kill Trump" thing didn't cause any crisis, it's not like the whole world is talking about it. I think it wasn't even mentioned in the reviews of the show. So I don't know, I can't imagine that he left because of that. The timing of his decision seems a little weird, but I guess we just have to wait for an official statement, or maybe we won't get anything at all and we just have to see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, EmmaCharlatan&Saints said:

Ive read all your posts on this topic and you are speculating he left because of Billies behaviour....we dont know why he left so stop sepculating about something you know nothing about

And for this I quote myself

38 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I'm not saying it is the reason or a reason he left. I was simply correcting your quote earlier. Like I said yesterday we never knew what was going on behind the scenes in 2012 until Billie told us some stuff in the Rolling Stone interview a year later. There is no way to know if this is totally amicable or there was a vicious argument and Pat was left along a highway somewhere :lol: We have seen a spike in Billie acting "wilder" lately doing stuff like smashing up the car, encouraging the people to run naked across the arena and yelling "Kill Donald Trump". Totally unrelated to Pat's departure? Possibly. However there's a nagging part of my brain that can't forget when Bill Schneider suddenly left.

Also don't tell me what to "speculate about" and do not quote me out of context. 

6 minutes ago, EmmaCharlatan&Saints said:

he left because of Billies behaviour

Or I will do it to you

7 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

And for this I quote myself

Also don't tell me what to "speculate about" and do not quote me out of context. 

Or I will do it to you

Wow very grown up of you. I didnt take any of what you said out of context that quote above directly contradicts itself. ''Im n ot saying its the reason he left.'' followed later by '' Totally unrelated to Pat's departure? Possibly'' So you basically just said you still think there is a possiblity it is related therefore speculating that it is related.  

Archived