Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

If he is, then things may not be as dramatic as they seem and the split could still be amicable/mutual.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article didn't say that Pat was planning to leave, it said they had split with Pat, past tense. It definitely sounds like something which has already occurred. 

3 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

The article didn't say that Pat was planning to leave, it said they had split with Pat, past tense. It definitely sounds like something which has already occurred. 

Yeah but it could have been bad wording and referring to a legal split on paper. You know how misleading and imprecise these articles can be. We really don't know, we don't have someone's confirmation from the tour that they saw him pack up and go home for example.

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah but it could have been bad wording and referring to a legal split on paper. You know how misleading and imprecise these articles can be. We really don't know, we don't have someone's confirmation from the tour that they saw him pack up and go home for example.

The article has been quoted by just about every paper and magazine to reiterate the point that Pat and Green Day have parted ways. If it was badly worded or untrue in any way they'd be in deep shit not to mention the fact that Pat contacted Andres and I'm sure if the information circulating everywhere was inaccurate his first priority would have been to correct that and reassure fans that he is remaining on until the tour is completed. He of course did not. There is literally zero reason to assume he hasn't left and every reason to believe, as the article states, he has already left.

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

The article has been quoted by just about every paper and magazine to reiterate the point that Pat and Green Day have parted ways. If it was badly worded or untrue in any way they'd be in deep shit not to mention the fact that Pat contacted Andres and I'm sure if the information circulating everywhere was inaccurate his first priority would have been to correct that and reassure fans that he is remaining on until the tour is completed. He of course did not. There is literally zero reason to assume he hasn't left and every reason to believe, as the article states, he has already left.

...and? 

I just looked at old Twitter msgs of the guy they claim will be their new manager... Apparently he retweeted a msg of someone making fun of Billie after the iHeart incident.. 

3 hours ago, cabot_girl said:

I just looked at old Twitter msgs of the guy they claim will be their new manager... Apparently he retweeted a msg of someone making fun of Billie after the iHeart incident.. 

Lovely. :rolleyes:

How deep did you have to dig? :P

4 hours ago, cabot_girl said:

IMG_1377.jpg

Except it wasn't punk af it was drunk af. Other than teenage assholes on social media there weren't really that many public figures or people in the music industry that made fun of Billie once he went to rehab which was before the apology. 

1 minute ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Except it wasn't punk af it was drunk af. Other than teenage assholes on social media there weren't really that many public figures or people in the music industry that made fun of Billie once he went to rehab which was before the apology. 

It was nothing to make fun of, that's for sure. 

However, I remember quite a lot of people who said what he did was cool and the band shouldn't have apologized. I think the post Daniel shared was more like that rather than making fun of Billie doing what he did in the first place. 

I get why people thought that - personally I have no issue with rockstars telling people to fuck off at all - but it would concern me if the manager actually believed they shouldn't have apologized. Not apologizing would have been fine if things were ok with the band, not when they were dealing with the biggest PR catastrophe of their career. The apology took away the punk aspect of the incident, but it was a decent thing to do as a part of the crisis management.

I'm seeing a lot of incidences today of people's words coming back to bit them on the ass (including my own). I'm sure at the time he had an opinion like everybody else and had no idea he'd be called on to manage that drunk af punk some day. I'm sure his thoughts are more measured now.  

33 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I'm seeing a lot of incidences today of people's words coming back to bit them on the ass (including my own). I'm sure at the time he had an opinion like everybody else and had no idea he'd be called on to manage that drunk af punk some day. I'm sure his thoughts are more measured now.  

I just want to make it clear that I'm not saying he's a bad person for having that opinion. I see why people thought that and at the moment I probably agreed. (I might have bitched about it just like the Twitter person.)

However, seeing the same opinion from a professional doesn't feel exactly reassuring. I don't know much about his work, so I am not making any judgement now - I just hope that his profesional approach to the situation would differ from the reaction of a 14 yr old Jane. 

With that being said, I actually do look forward to seeing what his work with GD brings and hope it will be a positive change. 

7 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I get why people thought that - personally I have no issue with rockstars telling people to fuck off at all - but it would concern me if the manager actually believed they shouldn't have apologized. Not apologizing would have been fine if things were ok with the band, not when they were dealing with the biggest PR catastrophe of their career. The apology took away the punk aspect of the incident, but it was a decent thing to do as a part of the crisis management.

I agree it is concerning that a manager felt that they shouldn't have apologised but not just because it was a PR catastrophe but also because the reason for the apology was because Green Day's set had not been cut short which was apparently what Billie had thought when he smashed his guitar and gone on his expletive filled rant. Billie was high/drunk. He wasn't making a punk statement he was making a mistake. The band should have apologised because nobody did actually cut their set as claimed. It's not surprising teenagers don't necessarily see that but a band manager not understanding the need to apologise is mind blowing. 

37 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I agree it is concerning that a manager felt that they shouldn't have apologised but not just because it was a PR catastrophe but also because the reason for the apology was because Green Day's set had not been cut short which was apparently what Billie had thought when he smashed his guitar and gone on his expletive filled rant. Billie was high/drunk. He wasn't making a punk statement he was making a mistake. The band should have apologised because nobody did actually cut their set as claimed. It's not surprising teenagers don't necessarily see that but a band manager not understanding the need to apologise is mind blowing. 

Exactly - you worded it better than I did. 

Sorry, I am very late to this discussion and have read it all fairly quickly, so apologies if I am going over old ground but wanted to say a couple of things.

1.  This appears to be one article, albeit in Variety but barely an article at all, which has been picked up almost word for word by many publications.  Whilst I am not saying it's wrong, it just says the band have split from their manager.  With no comment from either the band,  nor either management company  I think we just need to wait and see what happens next.    Given the business of contracts etc, I imagine this would take at least a month or two to complete so it may well be that they will split once the tour is over.

2.  Green Day and Pat always seem to have had a very respectful and friendly relationship so I hope this is still the case.  They could well have disagreements about future plans without it being major drama.

3.  Thanks to @LaughingClock for his words of sense and for trying to help us find out more.

4.  Re the thing about Bill at Reading, Billie said at the time that it was a set-up and just fun playing on the nature of the secret show and it looked like it at the time.  Bill looks like a much bigger guy than Billie, it didn't look like  serious attempt to,pull,him off stage at the time, just my opinion.

5.  I have to agree with a lot of what's been said, especially by @LaughingClock, we will probably never know what's behind it and that there are probably many things.  However, it was obvious from a good number of sources that the Bellahouston show was not a goer.  My question at the time was, how on earth did this band end up with this total amateur organising this show and I wondered if there would be fall out, to be fair I thought GD would sue the promoter rather than part from Pat but somebody somewhere dropped a ball going with that company.

6.  I can't pin it on anything specific, but I get the feeling that the messages coming from the band are clearly, yes, we are in RHOF, yes we have been around 30 years but that they are not ready to sit on their laurels.  I struggle to think of many bands who at this point in their careers still want to be moving forward but it appears to me that Green Day do and I hope they do.  They may plain feel that they need some fresh blood helping them along.

7.  In the U.K., certainly to my generation Green Day is not a household name and I can't for the life of me work out why, given their sales and longevity.  Maybe something major in their back room does need changed.

Sorry, this has become long!

Meant to also say, I take everything in the media with a large pinch of salt and thanks to Andres for establishing such good relationships with Pat and team, sharing his story, and long may he continue!

Sorry, I am very late to this discussion and have read it all fairly quickly, so apologies if I am going over old ground but wanted to say a couple of things.

1.  This appears to be one article, albeit in Variety but barely an article at all, which has been picked up almost word for word by many publications.  Whilst I am not saying it's wrong, it just says the band have split from their manager.  With no comment from either the band,  nor either management company  I think we just need to wait and see what happens next.    Given the business of contracts etc, I imagine this would take at least a month or two to complete so it may well be that they will split once the tour is over.

4.  Re the thing about Bill at Reading, Billie said at the time that it was a set-up and just fun playing on the nature of the secret show and it looked like it at the time.  Bill looks like a much bigger guy than Billie, it didn't look like  serious attempt to,pull,him off stage at the time, just my opinion.

Green Day are already with Jonathan Daniel. They're listed on Crush Music website and he's following the band and each member on twitter etc.

http://crushmusic.com/

As for the Bill Scheider/Reading scenario, I definitely never heard Billie say that it was a "set-up" or "for fun"!! I absolutely read they were strictly not supposed to play for longer than 30 minutes due to security concerns and Billie didn't want to stop. We all read that Pat wanted him to go to rehab before the Reading gig and we all saw what happened at iheart when a sign told him to stop playing. Also in Kerrang he stated he was "being a diva" at the Shepherds Bush gig. The band and crew probably were well aware he could fly off the handle very easily. I don't think Bill was willing to create a massive scene onstage in front of the audience and BBC cameras by physically hauling Billie off the stage. He probably figured give him a gentle tug or two to remind him to get his ass off stage should do the trick. Clearly it didn't. It definitely wasn't some weird cartoonish prank that just happened to line up with Bill's departure and be mere weeks before iheart and smack bang in the middle of Billie's worst drug and alcohol abuse. 

As for the Bill Scheider/Reading scenario, I definitely never heard Billie say that it was a "set-up" or "for fun"!! I absolutely read they were strictly not supposed to play for longer than 30 minutes due to security concerns and Billie didn't want to stop. We all read that Pat wanted him to go to rehab before the Reading gig and we all saw what happened at iheart when a sign told him to stop playing. Also in Kerrang he stated he was "being a diva" at the Shepherds Bush gig. The band and crew probably were well aware he could fly off the handle very easily. I don't think Bill was willing to create a massive scene onstage in front of the audience and BBC cameras by physically hauling Billie off the stage. He probably figured give him a gentle tug or two to remind him to get his ass off stage should do the trick. Clearly it didn't. It definitely wasn't some weird cartoonish prank that just happened to line up with Bill's departure and be mere weeks before iheart and smack bang in the middle of Billie's worst drug and alcohol abuse. 

Sounds plausible though this is all speculations of course. Still, what I don't really get is why Mike and Tré didn't just stop playing. I mean, Green Day isn't just Billie. Keeping them from continuing the set by physically dragging the singer off stage seems quite drastic when the rest of the band could just stop playing and walk off especially if there were security concerns. 

Sounds plausible though this is all speculations of course. Still, what I don't really get is why Mike and Tré didn't just stop playing. I mean, Green Day isn't just Billie. Keeping them from continuing the set by physically dragging the singer off stage seems quite drastic when the rest of the band could just stop playing and walk off especially if there were security concerns. 

Bill didn't physically drag him off. That's what I was saying to jengd, he kind of tugged on Billie's arm a few times and Billie pulled against him. He may have been told by someone from the festival to go tell your guy it really IS time to call it quits now because it's getting dangerous. Why the other guys kept going is anyone's guess. Just like it's anyone's guess why they even took the stage at iheart given just how blitzed Billie really was (watching those backstage interviews is painful) or why Mike smashed his own guitar following Billie's meltdown. Again maybe in some part of their brains they figured it would be less obvious that something was wrong that way.

Ah well, the past is the past. I'm really looking forward to what the future brings with Crush Music. Making this big of a change so far in their career is very brave and admirable. I so can't wait! 

I think part of our problem looking back at Reading and Iheart is that we can't be dispassionate about it with all that's happened since.  I would have thought if organisers really wants a band off stage, they would just pull the plug, literally.

I think part of our problem looking back at Reading and Iheart is that we can't be dispassionate about it with all that's happened since.  I would have thought if organisers really wants a band off stage, they would just pull the plug, literally.

At iheart I could see them having competing interests not to do that, like thinking it was good for ratings, etc. But at Reading I agree, at 30 minutes you cut the power. It can't be impossible to get a band off a stage.

It is a lot less dramatic to try to send a crew member onstage to remind a band member to hurry up and end the set than to cut the power and risk a riot. 

As it turned out despite Bill's attempts they played on and their set was nearly am hour long so nobody pulled the plug.

"Perhaps due to the last minute nature of the performance, there was a little drama between the band and festival organizers when they were asked to start wrapping up the show. Singer Billie Joe Armstrong told the audience, “We’re having a little f—ing problem with time,” as the band played a curtailed version of ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams.’ But while revealing what was happening, Armstrong didn’t bow to pressure and kept right on rocking."

http://loudwire.com/green-day-surprise-set-2012-reading-festival-frenzy/?trackback=tsmclip

Archived