Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

2 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I wonder why Pat closed down Adeline Records after the split with GD. That's something that the insider could have shed some light on that would have been newsworthy. 

I checked the Adeline website the other day cause I wanted to buy something and I was like lmao what the fuck? It was all gone and I was wondering since when 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It hasn’t been a functioning label in a while has it? I thought it was being managed at this point for purely financial reasons like whatever small income it was still generating. If so it was just another part of Pat’s business obligations and so was wrapped up along with his other obligations to the band.

"Maybe Pat got tired of dealing with Billy Joe Armstrong, who has been difficult at various times over the years."

Shout out to difficult Billy Joe Armstrong lol

1 hour ago, Schlappy said:

"Maybe Pat got tired of dealing with Billy Joe Armstrong, who has been difficult at various times over the years."

Totally, aside from the ridiculous spelling, what ridiculously huge rock star would possibly not be "difficult at times" over the years? That's part of part of the job description of being a manager to a major label and global band...to handle difficulties including those which may or may not come directly from the artists themselves. So if the issue was that they didn't get along or couldn't continue their professional relationship then so be it- just say so, not a big deal and totally normal in the music business. But to beat around the bush and passively-aggressively state or infer that an artist may have been difficult is basically telling us nothing, since of course a massive rock star might be difficult on occasion. Hell, I want my rock stars to be difficult. If they're not, then they're not rock stars.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It hasn’t been a functioning label in a while has it? I thought it was being managed at this point for purely financial reasons like whatever small income it was still generating. If so it was just another part of Pat’s business obligations and so was wrapped up along with his other obligations to the band.

They were more active on social media than Green Day :lol: I had no real interest in the artists on the label so I don't know if they were actively signing new bands but I know they seemed to be selling new merch etc and I'd regularly see posts in my timeline advertising vinyl releases etc. I would usually scroll past so can't attest to who the bands were but the label wasn't just collecting dust. It is interesting he folded the company right after severing ties with the band because Billie seemed enormously proud of Adeline even though he wasn't directly running it anymore.

9 hours ago, Schlappy said:

Difficult to spell :P

18 minutes ago, jengd said:

I felt that was just someone being a little defensive of Pat, it was such a vague statement to make.

Why be defensive at all though if they parted on good terms? That's one thing the article states, without giving any particular reason behind the claim, that they did not part amicably. 

12 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Why be defensive at all though if they parted on good terms? That's one thing the article states, without giving any particular reason behind the claim, that they did not part amicably. 

They could have parted quite amicably but some of Pat's friends/associates might still feel they need to be a little defensive of Pat.  I could be totally wrong it's just how it came across to me.

3 minutes ago, jengd said:

They could have parted quite amicably but some of Pat's friends/associates might still feel they need to be a little defensive of Pat.  I could be totally wrong it's just how it came across to me.

It's not how it's coming across to me. From the beginning I was wondering why they were silent. No statements from either side saying hey ho that was fun, nothing but love for each other, on to the next project. Complete silence. Even when contacted for comment on this article Pat said "no comment". He could have said "bullshit".  

"When Oceanside’s double Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Jason Mraz left manager Bill Silva after 18 years, the separation was proclaimed to be friendly and drama-free.

But Green Day’s termination of San Diego’s highest profile resident rock manager, also last month, was a lot different."

The reason the article can state that Mraz and Silva parted ways amicably is that they both released statements to that affect. It's extremely odd that mid tour Pat leaves and nothing is said. Not a word. After 21 years no "thanks for the help". Nothing. Add to that Pat then folds the record company Billie started and was so proud of just a few weeks later and I'm thinking damn, what DID happen?! 

Yeah, I get all that, and of course we would like to know more detail because we are invested in this band, but unless one or other party say anything which can be genuinely attributed, then we all just have to get over it and move on, like they appear to be doing.  I would rather they were all silent than start a slanging match over it all.

40 minutes ago, jengd said:

Yeah, I get all that, and of course we would like to know more detail because we are invested in this band, but unless one or other party say anything which can be genuinely attributed, then we all just have to get over it and move on, like they appear to be doing.  I would rather they were all silent than start a slanging match over it all.

Personally I think if friends of Pat are going to the press then there must be bad feeling there and after 21 years in any relationship it's not our place to say how they should behave. We are just onlookers. 

I wonder how noteworthy are assumptions of this anonymous source when they admit they don't know what happened. I hardly can view this as an insider's take on what happened. They could have asked anybody who posted in this thread and the answers would be similar.

I mean, it's quite possible that there was a falling out but it just as likely that the split was amicable and both parties just agreed to keep silent. The person clearly knows nothing. 

This person is jumping to a lot of conclusions. If all they know is the band left and it was unexpected but they have no idea why, then their opinion on the matter doesn't carry a lot of weight. Honestly, while we may never know the reason, I imagine there's a good chance that it was a good one or at the very least not a decision that was made lightly if made by the band. Look at how Billie in particular handles relationships. He's not someone who gives up on people/relationships lightly. Look at how long he's been friends with Mike, Tre, married to Adrienne, etc. Pat was with them almost as long as Billie has been married. It would be very out of character (at least for him) to end a relationship like that unless he felt it was long overdue, or something big happened.

Lol that article is bare bones. There's literally no """insider""" info at all. Love me some difficult Billy Joe Armstrong tho :lol: 

Archived