Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh. Not sure what to make of this. After 21 years maybe they just felt like a change was needed? Pat had to get through some tough situations the last few years.

In all seriousness though I'm shocked. He was on the road with them on this tour, filmed in the background of some of Sara's videos etc playing games with Billie, Tre and Jason on the bus. For some reason this worries me.

Meh, if they already have new management lined up I wouldn't say it's a spur of the moment thing. Gonna be interesting to see how it goes! 

It's hard to know quite how to react to this without the full context, and unfortunately the article doesn't offer that.  Hopefully that's something we'll get in time, as it's a very different story depending on whether it was mutual, Pat decided to leave himself or if he was asked to by the band.  I'm not normally a fan of seemingly unnecessary change and the supposed 'new guy' and his resumé doesn't necessarily thrill me,  but it could absolutely be a positive change and only time will really tell.  Too soon to judge anything yet.

Wow :o This is surprising, I hope Green Day and/or Pat comment on this in the future, so that we get at least a little bit of context.

17 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

It's hard to know quite how to react to this without the full context, and unfortunately the article doesn't offer that.  Hopefully that's something we'll get in time, as it's a very different story depending on whether it was mutual, Pat decided to leave himself or if he was asked to by the band.  I'm not normally a fan of seemingly unnecessary change and the supposed 'new guy' and his resumé doesn't necessarily thrill me,  but it could absolutely be a positive change and only time will really tell.  Too soon to judge anything yet.

I really hope the band didn't ask him to leave!  He's done so much for them not least essentially saving Billie's life by practically ordering him to go to rehab. I don't see how anyone else could be a more positive change to be honest. 

Total crap of an article.

Sad that he's leaving, always liked that guy, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I remember worrying when Rob Cavallo didn't produce 21CB. After Pat's 21 years... maybe it was just time. Hold your horses. 

Don't worry about things that hasn't occured. 

My dad just switched job after 30 years in the same place, he's cool. It was just time. 

I wonder if they felt the same way we did over the lack of promotion this tour. Maybe they thought he wasn't keeping up with the times and social media demands. Was he too old school?

I don't think this is all that surprising considering how lame their promotion is. It shows they are still motivated to stay successful and somewhat relevent and fresh. I'm thinking it was a good decision. This new guy might have some great ideas.

It is kinda weird to do that now though, right? The tour isn't even over yet. :ermm: If he simply resigned because he thought it was time for a change, couldn't it have waited until after the tour was over?

I wonder if they will announce something about that themselves and explain what's going on. 

1 minute ago, neverdone2000 said:

I don't think this is all that surprising considering how lame their promotion is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that their personal manager has anything to do with marketing.

7 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

It is kinda weird to do that now though, right? The tour isn't even over yet. :ermm: If he simply resigned because he thought it was time for a change, couldn't it have waited until after the tour was over?

I wonder if they will announce something about that themselves and explain what's going on. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that their personal manager has anything to do with marketing.

I don't know, maybe he just got tired of it. It's going to extend into S America and maybe beyond, and he just may feel like's he's had enough. 

As far as the question about what a band manager's job is, I could be wrong too. But I would think promotion would be part of it. Does anyone know?

I'm curious what the managers job really is, I don't know myself what they really do lol.

2 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Does anyone know?

2 minutes ago, thundercatmary said:

I'm curious what the managers job really is, I don't know myself ehatbthe really do lol.

If I'm not wrong, a manager's job would be to accompany the band, oversee events, schedule appointments for the band (like interviews, performances) and make sure nothing overlaps and the band gets there on time, and generally working as a spokesperson or as a contact for the band. Maybe even plan out the tour? Or I might be confusing that with something else. 

5 minutes ago, thundercatmary said:

I'm curious what the managers job really is, I don't know myself ehatbthe really do lol.

Managers control the business side of things so the band can just focus on their talents, once all the basics have been negotiated. They are extremely important. 

My guess is that it is either a retirement sort of thing, or Green Day were becoming unruly (which wouldn't surprise me).. Good Managers of any professional business want as little 'personal opinion/personal life' as possible, and BJ's been totally unhinged with his 'Kill Donald Trump' shit, and are going a bit overboard with their personal beliefs on social media lately. 

4 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

If I'm not wrong, a manager's job would be to accompany the band, oversee events, schedule appointments for the band (like interviews, performances) and make sure nothing overlaps and the band gets there on time, and generally working as a spokesperson or as a contact for the band. Maybe even plan out the tour? Or I might be confusing that with something else. 

Basically spokes person as well as setting up marketing promo. Agents schedule and route everything. 

Just now, Jon Benjamin said:

Basically spokes person as well as setting up marketing promo. Agents schedule and route everything. 

Agent!!! That's what it was then. I remember reading the article of Billie coming out of rehab and talking about them firing their agent, and that being the reason they were so burned out. I was confused because it didn't add up with with Pat being in the band for 21 years, they obviously hadn't fired him then.

It would make sense then, I guess... Their promo this time around wasn't really the best.

19 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

Is this because of the car:wub:

what's the car thing?

I'm out of the loop again :sorry:

Archived