Matt.

2017/09/23 - Central Park, New York City, NY, USA

Only available in the US and Canada :dry:

I might be in New York then to fly home from the US tour so it would have been perfect. I guess international people can buy the VIP tickets but they're probably stupidly expensive.

35 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

Only available in the US and Canada :dry:

I might be in New York then to fly home from the US tour so it would have been perfect. I guess international people can buy the VIP tickets but they're probably stupidly expensive.

I believe my friend either bought or sold VIP tickets for around face value (I think) and they were around 200$.

But yeah - I guess I'll actually try to partake with the app this time around. As much as I love this band-I'm not spending that much money on a single ticket.

I did this two years ago for Pearl Jam and here's just some things I think are worth noting. This could all be wrong if they've since changed the festival format and pricing but this was my experience in 2015....

-Front VIP is going to cost probably close to $1000/ticket and go as far back as 1/4-1/3 of an arena floor (equivalent to, I mean). 
-The second VIP is going to start probably around $175/$200 and go up in small intervals WHILE you're trying to purchase. To me, this is the only VIP section sort of worth your money. Biggest downside here is you still have to arrive early and you'll have a good view for the earlier artists but by the time GD, the Killers or Stevie Wonder come on, VIP 1 will fill up and inevitably some rich kid who walked over 5 mins before will stand right in front of you at the back of VIP 1 and there's nothing you can do about it. 
-The third and last VIP is, in my opinion not worth the money. Works the same as VIP 2 but starting price is a bit lower. You're pretty far back at this point though (equivalent to like 3/4 back on an arena floor for the front of the section).

-The FREE side, is way off center (they favor the VIPs and the middle is an empty walkway). So even if you are the first person in line (you better line up the night before for that) you will best case scenario still be to the right of Mike (facing the stage). And you will be scrunched in with basically no escape for HOURS.
-This will feel like the longest day of your life. It starts in the middle of the afternoon, there's WAY more talking (repetitive and not very informative talking) than there is music and the main artists will at most play for 45 minutes. Possibly even 30. The smaller acts will play like 1-2 songs or just collaborate with other artists. 
-There's one screen and they spend more time showing silly effects or images than they do the tiny little band you can't see on stage.
-The sound was okay in VIP 2 but I heard it was terrible in other spots.

-The MSNBC broadcast may stop before the end, although Green Day will probably make it in. It also may not show everything.

• Like 3

@Jonas01

This will air on MSNBC so that means you'll get some pro-shot footage finally! :P 

• Like 1

Ohhhh I wish I could go to this. But yeah, we will finally get some pro-shot footage @MillenniumFan:dance:

• Like 1

Indeed! More promotion too! 

However, the sound quality is bound not to be that good. They should release some stuff themselves... Argh... It's so frustatingly clear to me that that's what they should do...

• Like 1

• Like 1

I guess I will just have to mute the sound when the chainsmokers come on

1 hour ago, gaslight13 said:

I did this two years ago for Pearl Jam and here's just some things I think are worth noting. This could all be wrong if they've since changed the festival format and pricing but this was my experience in 2015....

-Front VIP is going to cost probably close to $1000/ticket and go as far back as 1/4-1/3 of an arena floor (equivalent to, I mean). 
-The second VIP is going to start probably around $175/$200 and go up in small intervals WHILE you're trying to purchase. To me, this is the only VIP section sort of worth your money. Biggest downside here is you still have to arrive early and you'll have a good view for the earlier artists but by the time GD, the Killers or Stevie Wonder come on, VIP 1 will fill up and inevitably some rich kid who walked over 5 mins before will stand right in front of you at the back of VIP 1 and there's nothing you can do about it. 
-The third and last VIP is, in my opinion not worth the money. Works the same as VIP 2 but starting price is a bit lower. You're pretty far back at this point though (equivalent to like 3/4 back on an arena floor for the front of the section).

-The FREE side, is way off center (they favor the VIPs and the middle is an empty walkway). So even if you are the first person in line (you better line up the night before for that) you will best case scenario still be to the right of Mike (facing the stage). And you will be scrunched in with basically no escape for HOURS.
-This will feel like the longest day of your life. It starts in the middle of the afternoon, there's WAY more talking (repetitive and not very informative talking) than there is music and the main artists will at most play for 45 minutes. Possibly even 30. The smaller acts will play like 1-2 songs or just collaborate with other artists. 
-There's one screen and they spend more time showing silly effects or images than they do the tiny little band you can't see on stage.

-The MSNBC broadcast may stop before the end, although Green Day will probably make it in. It also may not show everything.

Thanks for the info. I was actually wondering about this. My friends can't afford to buy tickets so do you have some idea of the likelihood of getting free tickets through earning points? Do most people get them or most people don't? 

15 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thanks for the info. I was actually wondering about this. My friends can't afford to buy tickets so do you have some idea of the likelihood of getting free tickets through earning points? Do most people get them or most people don't? 

As long as you put in the effort from the get go with earning points and what not, you have VERY good odds. They do like 6 rounds of drawing names and you have to wait like all day to find out if you're in but it's pretty rare I think to be trying from round 1 and not get them. Like extremely rare. The hard part is deciding if it's worth going if they're going to be so far away you won't be able to tell who is who, haha. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

As long as you put in the effort from the get go with earning points and what not, you have VERY good odds. They do like 6 rounds of drawing names and you have to wait like all day to find out if you're in but it's pretty rare I think to be trying from round 1 and not get them. Like extremely rare. The hard part is deciding if it's worth going if they're going to be so far away you won't be able to tell who is who, haha. 

Coincidentally, my husband and I are going to be in NYC that weekend (traveling form Ga.). I'm thinking the same thing...is 30-45 minutes of (awesome) GD music worth "wasting" an entire day in NYC? :(

4 minutes ago, WhatsHerNameGeorgia said:

Coincidentally, my husband and I are going to be in NYC that weekend (traveling form Ga.). I'm thinking the same thing...is 30-45 minutes of (awesome) GD music worth "wasting" an entire day in NYC? :(

You really will be wasting an entire day. I can't stress that enough, haha. I am glad I did it as a VIP 2 two years ago but 2 years hasn't been long enough to forget that it was still exhausting and loooong. I do remember thinking though that it 100% wouldn't have been worth it on the free side. That said, I'm gonna try and get a free ticket anyway on the off chance I feel like hanging in the way back somewhere. I probably will watch on TV. 

• Like 1

It's sold out already. :(

2 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Just want to echo what this person has X1000.   I have gone twice, once in 2012 and once in 2015 and if you cannot afford the second VIP tier (the first one is like $2,500 and SO not worth it), it really is an EXTREMELY intense amount of effort, particularly if you just want to see one band.   I like The Killers, Stevie Wonder and The Lumineers as well (fuck the Chainsmokers) and I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the VIP2 ticket knowing what an exhausting day it was.   If it was a normal festival with normal set times and talking/presentations in between sets, that'd be great.   However, it's essentially a 6 hour lecture/preaching session with a few musical interruptions.   The issues/causes they talk about are definitely noteworthy and I support a lot of them but there isn't a lot of consideration for the audience.   In 2015, the audience was getting insanely restless waiting for Pearl Jam while we had to listen to yet ANOTHER person remind us about how a certain percentage of the world didn't have clean water coupled with this extremely stupid segment where a bunch of CEO's pressed a button to "pledge" something.  

If you're in the NYC area, Green Day has played Webster Hall, Rough Trade, Starland Ballroom, Good Morning America and Barclays Center all within the last 12 months so if you couldn't make it to one of those or you didn't get enough of a fix, by all means go to this but just want to manage expectations.

• Like 1

Turns out my friend can't go that weekend so now I don't feel so bad. Sounds like it will be better on TV.  I'm not in the NYC area so haven't seen them at the other shows this would have been a flight to visit a friend. 

I'm going to see them in Ohio in three weeks so that will be much better.

Do you only need 17 points or should you go for more ? 

7 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Do you only need 17 points or should you go for more ? 

I've been trying to figure that out. Is that the minimum to enter? 

Also, this is a little off topic but do we think there's a chance of like a secret show or something of that nature happening the night before the festival? I'm not basing this on any real info, I just have known other bands to do stuff like that from time to time and GD seems like a band who would do that. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't feel so bad about possibly being there but missing it now. I downloaded the app and signed a load of petitions before I realised so at least I've done something good :lol:  

does anybody know if this event holds a full set?

1 hour ago, Alf said:

does anybody know if this event holds a full set?

Do you mean will they play a full set? No. Definitely not more than 45 mins. I saw Pearl Jam do this, and they play longer shows than Green Day normally and are the type to break curfews but they didn't run past 45. 

• Like 2

Maybe an hour though this time. Last year Rihanna had a bit more than an hour of stage time (which would be slightly less than half of a standard GD set). 

Just noticing that the date of this show coincides with Billie's fifth anniversary of sobriety. Glad he'll be spending it doing what he loves most, and also free and for a good cause. Maybe that's one reason they decided to do this. Pretty cool. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

Maybe an hour though this time. Last year Rihanna had a bit more than an hour of stage time (which would be slightly less than half of a standard GD set). 

Wow, really? I'm surprised. Maybe that was part of the deal to get her to do it. Honestly, I just really really wouldn't count on it and just consider it a great bonus if it happens. Beyonce went second to last in 2015 and Pearl Jam was the main headliner and they both got about 45. It looks like Stevie Wonder is the main act this time so GD will likely get the same or possibly less. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

It's sold out already. :(

I would love to go to Central Park with you - this would be a great date:)