New Song 'If There Was Ever a Time' - Armstrongs

TimmyChunks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Out of curiosity, all those that dislike Tim's voice here: Do you like Rancid's music, or do you just not like him in this song?

I don't like most of Rancid music. Just like the ska punkish ones but not for his voice :P

I think it would be good at the end of the credits of Turn it Around. Not the best, but not offensive or anything. Cool to see them working together!

Catchy, fun, if slightly forgettable track-but for a good cause. I'm also a Rancid fan but get that Tim's voice may be a bit of an acquired taste. 

But definitely prefer Tim's vocals in this song- Billie's verse is too clean and he sounds kinda out of place, lacking his usual snarl....although to be fair he isn't given much to do.

I like the song, but personally, I like the 4 new Foxboro Hot Tubs songs a lot better. 

13 minutes ago, vomitslurpee said:

I like the song, but personally, I like the 4 new Foxboro Hot Tubs songs a lot better. 

??? 

21 hours ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

Honestly I wish it was just Billie singing because even listening to Knowledge I can't stand Tim's voice at all
otherwise I like it

I totally get it- no one will ever mistake Tim Armstrong for Freddy Mercury, that's for sure.

But listening to gems like Ruby Soho, Back to Olympia, Radio, Journey to the End...it's hard not to say that Tim wasn't/ is a great frontman in his own right. I've seen a bunch of Rancid shows, and hell, it's a lot better than most live music I've seen. And some of Tim's recorded vocals have been pretty awesome.

I also think Dylan's a terrible singer but definitely enjoy his contributions and can see why he is such an icon. Not saying that Tim is Dylan, but I don't think he's unlistenable.

1 hour ago, TimmyChunks said:

I totally get it- no one will ever mistake Tim Armstrong for Freddy Mercury, that's for sure.

But listening to gems like Ruby Soho, Back to Olympia, Radio, Journey to the End...it's hard not to say that Tim wasn't/ is a great frontman in his own right. I've seen a bunch of Rancid shows, and hell, it's a lot better than most live music I've seen. And some of Tim's recorded vocals have been pretty awesome.

I also think Dylan's a terrible singer but definitely enjoy his contributions and can see why he is such an icon. Not saying that Tim is Dylan, but I don't think he's unlistenable.

And Last One To Die though!!! That one's my favorite Rancid song I think.

Not gonna lie, I also totally dig his solo "Into Action", but he's got some help on that one :lol:

Honestly, Tim seems right to be the singer for this, I just disagree with Billie singing with him. Even just singing a verse on his own is a stark contrast. Unless he could really pull out his grittier vocals from Pinhead or Insomniac/Nimrod (I doubt it tho), I'd really rather have it just be Tim.

It's great these 2 have finally done something together. It's extremely interesting this could be how Rancid sounded of BJAdid actually join the band.

Lyrically though it's an epic fail.. you have 2 of the world's best song writers from the 90s global punk explosion and this is it

I'm guessing it was written  in about 5 minutes..  Im hoping they loved the process so much theyll release an album together

On 7/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, RougeRogue said:

I don't mind Tim's vocals on a handful of Rancid tracks, though I understand that it's not for everyone. But less of an issue are Tim's vocals themselves but rather the fact that his and Billie's just ...don't fit well together. Billie's are just too clean to mesh with Tim's. You've got these two leads singing together and it honestly sounds like I'm playing two songs at the same time and they're singing over each other.

But musically? I love it. Rancid + GD's sounds do mesh well together. Understandably, since I don't think they're too dissimilar. I'd like this Armstrong-fusion a lot more if they'd just let one person sing at a time from now on. :lol:

You hit the nail on the head. I completely agree.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:13 AM, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

Honestly I wish it was just Billie singing because even listening to Knowledge I can't stand Tim's voice at all
otherwise I like it

On 7/15/2017 at 11:08 PM, TimmyChunks said:

While I love Tim's style and vocals overall, I think they've dropped off quite a bit over the years- his vocals were powerful during the OpIV days and especially on Out Come the Wolves (one of the top albums ever in my opinion)

Not really adding anything to the discussion here, but just a reminder to anyone who brings up OpIV in this thread that Tim didn't even really sing that much for that band; it was mostly the actual lead singer Jesse Michaels. You can hear Tim at the beginning of 'Unity,' some of 'Sound System,' and in the middle of 'Take Warning,' but stuff like 'Knowledge' and 'Vulnerability,' that's all Jesse. Rancid is a much better reference point in this discussion because it's mainly Tim's band and his vocals are a lot more prominent. Sorry, just wanted to get that out there. :P

But to contribute more to the thread, has anyone figured out all the lyrics yet? I found a few sites that have most of them but they're all missing parts of, what else, Tim's garbled and incomprehensible first verse.

If there was ever a time to stand together.
If there was ever a time, it’s tonight.
If there was ever a time to hold your brothers and your sisters,
Then the time is right.

Then the time is right.

Well we got into DuPont Circle,
And we gathered in ____ Square
And we thought that _________,
And we told ‘em we couldn't breathe air.

Then the time is right.

We're aiming for the rooftops,
Beyond the river of doubt.
We're arm-in-arm; sound the alarm,
Turning whispers into shouts.

Then the time is right.

Then the time is right.

Then the time is right.

Then the time is right.
Then the time is right.

I could argue that if you don't love this, you aren't playing it loud enough!  Seriously, I get the point, Tim and Billie could hardly sound more different.  Loving Joey's drumming.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

But to contribute more to the thread, has anyone figured out all the lyrics yet? I found a few sites that have most of them but they're all missing parts of, what else, Tim's garbled and incomprehensible first verse.

I didn't pick up the second part of Billie's verse on my own but I love it. However simple and repetetive the chorus might be the does have a very nice message.

Also I've had it stuck in my head after like three listens yesterday. Catchy af.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Not really adding anything to the discussion here, but just a reminder to anyone who brings up OpIV in this thread that Tim didn't even really sing that much for that band; it was mostly the actual lead singer Jesse Michaels. You can hear Tim at the beginning of 'Unity,' some of 'Sound System,' and in the middle of 'Take Warning,' but stuff like 'Knowledge' and 'Vulnerability,' that's all Jesse. Rancid is a much better reference point in this discussion because it's mainly Tim's band and his vocals are a lot more prominent. Sorry, just wanted to get that out there. :P

Shit

upon listening to some of the songs that @RougeRogue listed, it's ehhhhh but I still don't really like it on this song

18 hours ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Without even listening to the song again (and not that I can actually hear anything Tim is singing) but I can tell you that one of the missing lyrics is going to be Berkeley Square. 

Ps thanks for writing out the lyrics. It demonstrates how many "if there was ever a time(s)" there are :P It's more irritating to my ear than the repetitiveness of know your enemy.

Just listened to it. In summary, needs more Billie vocals and less Tim vocals and the chorus is horrible :P 

I think the song works best with them 'harmonizing' honestly, Billie's voice alone sounds too high and nasally/whiny, and Tim's voice sounds a bit too - I don't know - diseased/ airy, age I suppose. But together I think it works well. (Just my opinion though).  

On 7/16/2017 at 5:13 PM, vomitslurpee said:

I choked on what I was drinking when I read this :blink:

I really like it?? It's catchy, and I actually like the contrasting voices of Billie and Tim. Love the guitar in it too.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, vomitslurpee said:

Who are you and why are you trolling us like this

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

Just listened to it. In summary, needs more Billie vocals and less Tim vocals and the chorus is horrible :P 

Although as usual I had trouble understanding BJ. 😁

1 hour ago, Tinkle said:

Although as usual I had trouble understanding BJ. 😁

I had more trouble understanding Tim :lol: 

No offense but this song is cringe.

When you got 2 of the best songwriters of the 90s and a drummer that is just becoming succesful.

And you got this.

Think people need to take this at face value - it's a song written for Gilman. This isn't meant to be some masterpiece, just a fun collar for a good cause. They clearly didn't sit down and spend ages and ages writing the song - and that's fine, this isn't the start of a full on side project.

6 hours ago, GreenDayTheory said:

No offense but this song is cringe.

When you got 2 of the best songwriters of the 90s and a drummer that is just becoming succesful.

And you got this.

I agree. but people here above seem to make an excuse for this bullshit lmao

• Hermione changed the title to New Song 'If There Was Ever a Time' - Armstrongs

Archived