New Song 'If There Was Ever a Time' - Armstrongs

TimmyChunks

We had discussed this one a little under the "Turn it Around" Thread but unless the moderators disagree it might need its own discussion:

What do you guys think?

Personally, I love the Clash-ish vibes. Tim's vocals have, to me, dropped off a bit from the heights of Out Come the Wolves- the power behind his vocals have diminished somewhat but I think overall his songwriting drive and creative force behind this song are still something to admire.

Billie's very short stint on lead vocals are awesome- this new recording highlights his continual excellence as a lead vocalist.

I don't know who wrote the song or who's playing lead guitar (and I can't wait to learn what you guys know), but the song is probably a 7/10 and the solos are 9/10 and highly reminiscent of the Clash (and to me seem like they were either played or written mainly by Tim).

Overall, great effort and a nice surprise today. And yes, for a good cause. Not a bad way to end the week!

And as usual, @desertrose is on it- he posted this two hours ago:

Posted 2 hours ago · Report post

The Green Day and Rancid/Operation Ivy frontmen–no relation, by the way–are joined by Billie Joe’s son Joey and Tim’s nephew Rey. They just released beery three-chord singalong of a tune called “If There Was Ever a Time,” with 100% of proceeds benefitting 924 Gilman, an East Bay all-ages nonprofit punk venue where both Rancid and Green Day got their starts. The single will get a physical release via Hellcat Records, and is also available for streaming on YouTube.

http://www.spin.com/2017/07/green-day-rancid-billie-joe-tim-armstrongs-supergroup/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This basically just sounds like Tim Armstrong featuring Billie but it's very catchy

Yeah, I liked it but dislike Tim's vocals and it's almost all I can hear.

That was a nice little surprise. It's very catchy and I like it, though I wish Billie's part was longer because I absolutely love his voice in this one.

It sounds like a christmas song to me haha

I liked it and ordered it in the pirate shop. You can hear how much better Billie's voice is than Tim's in this direct comparison.

12 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

It sounds like a christmas song to me haha

You're right, it's got a festive feel :lol: 

It is quite simple but the point is raising money for Gilman anyway, plus it's catchy. I like it! Needs moar solo Billie though obviously.

10 minutes ago, JellyTime said:

I have a stupid question... Who is Rey Armstrong? 

Tim's nephew :)

I'm still genuinenly curious as to whether that's something we were supposed to know lol

Personally, I'd like to see an album come out of this. I love the sound, and it's been too long since we've had a side project. (2008). Or, well I guess technically foreverly, so 2013 - 2014 ish?

12 hours ago, Tubbie Head said:

Yeah, I liked it but dislike Tim's vocals and it's almost all I can hear.

Agreed.  I like the music and Billie's voice, but I kept trying to tune out Tim's voice to hear Billie behind him.

yeah..kinda sad that you cannt hear billie's voice that clear, but i love both voices tbh ^^

would still have been better if we could hear billies voice more clearly

I was more excited about hearing the song than actually hearing the song.  Must be Tim's voice when I had more expectations of Billie's.  Oh well.

Out of curiosity, all those that dislike Tim's voice here: Do you like Rancid's music, or do you just not like him in this song?

2 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Out of curiosity, all those that dislike Tim's voice here: Do you like Rancid's music, or do you just not like him in this song?

Not a Rancid fan.  Nothing against them personally, I respect them for what they do and their relationship with Green Day, but just not my thing musically.

I don't mind Tim's vocals on a handful of Rancid tracks, though I understand that it's not for everyone. But less of an issue are Tim's vocals themselves but rather the fact that his and Billie's just ...don't fit well together. Billie's are just too clean to mesh with Tim's. You've got these two leads singing together and it honestly sounds like I'm playing two songs at the same time and they're singing over each other.

But musically? I love it. Rancid + GD's sounds do mesh well together. Understandably, since I don't think they're too dissimilar. I'd like this Armstrong-fusion a lot more if they'd just let one person sing at a time from now on. :lol:

6 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

Tim's nephew :)

I'm still genuinenly curious as to whether that's something we were supposed to know lol

Probably. When I asked Corbett he just straight up told me the answer.

I'm a Rancid fan. I'm a Green Day fan. I was excited about this. I'm disappointed. It's a weak effort. Not horrible, just forgettable and how many times can they sing "If there was ever a time" in under three minutes? It has to win a medal for repetitive lyrics.

2 hours ago, RougeRogue said:

I don't mind Tim's vocals on a handful of Rancid tracks, though I understand that it's not for everyone. But less of an issue are Tim's vocals themselves but rather the fact that his and Billie's just ...don't fit well together. Billie's are just too clean to mesh with Tim's. You've got these two leads singing together and it honestly sounds like I'm playing two songs at the same time and they're singing over each other.

But musically? I love it. Rancid + GD's sounds do mesh well together. Understandably, since I don't think they're too dissimilar. I'd like this Armstrong-fusion a lot more if they'd just let one person sing at a time from now on. :lol:

I agree. While I love Tim's style and vocals overall, I think they've dropped off quite a bit over the years- his vocals were powerful during the OpIV days and especially on Out Come the Wolves (one of the top albums ever in my opinion), and even then he really needed Lars to help prop up the songs- Lars has basically been their co-lead vocalist for the entire life of Rancid.

On this one, I like how Billie clearly tries to take a back seat. If he had been contributing more vocals he would have been overshadowing Tim significantly, he's clearly such a better singer. And Tim has turned into a quasi-punk Dylan over time- he just kind of speaks/slurs and fashions himself to be more of a poet than singer, which is totally fine with me, he's still trying to express himself creatively within his limits.

Believe me, if this were 90% Billie singing I would be thrilled since he sounds so good here, but if these two collaborate he is better served in the background so he doesn't overshadow Tim. And it's really cool of him and very non-egotistical of him to take this approach- well done Billie.

I'm super curious about the solos- to me they're relatively interchangeable, but if I had to bet I'd say Billie played the first and Tim played the second. But it's so hard to tell- I can't come up with a clear answer based on guitar tone or style. Does anyone have a better sense?

Honestly I wish it was just Billie singing because even listening to Knowledge I can't stand Tim's voice at all
otherwise I like it

I love both Billie's and Tim's vocals but they just don't cope well together in this particular song.

When Billie sings his verse - it's like an element from another song. No integrity, unfortunately, although a catchy nice and simple song.

I love it, to me this is totally epic! I have loved Rancid and Green Day for 22 years, and them doing music together is a dream come true!! Wish they would make an entire album and a tour! 

8 hours ago, Liam said:

Probably. When I asked Corbett he just straight up told me the answer.

Same here, haha, wonder how many times he's had that. I just meant whether it was expected to be common knowledge. Maybe it is amongst Rancid/Tim fans, oh well.

It obviously wasn't meant to be a masterclass in songwriting. They surely had some fun playing together and it's attention drawn to a good cause. Anyway how about some Joey (and Rey) love :happyhands:

• Hermione changed the title to New Song 'If There Was Ever a Time' - Armstrongs

Archived