Hyde Park concert airing on Absolute Radio tonight, July 13th

desertrose

I'm not a fan of the anti-phone rants either. I get being annoyed at a seeming lack of attention/eye contact from his perspective, but if they're gonna withhold pro-shot footage and audio what does he expect :tired: From personal experience, usually people don't record to save a memory for themselves. They do it to share with others who can't be there. And I don't see how wanting to share experiences is a bad thing. And it's free promo for them too. You don't get people to shows by withholding all the footage and hoping they'll pay to find out what it's like - you show them what they're missing. So, I dunno, I don't get it.

I realize this isn't the thread for this, but I guess its kinda relevant. Look how excited we were about the prospect of the whole show being broadcast. No one was annoyed at something they paid money to see being released for others' enjoyment. I just...don't understand the urge to keep everything under wraps, especially when their live performances are their strength.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with Jenn about everyone being delighted about the broadcast and have no idea why Warners or GD are so reluctant to share footage with us, in other ways they seem to understand that we are insatiable but not this!  I would love to know how many people go to the same band again and again, I know lots of hardcore fans do but what about the rest?  There must be some link, correct or otherwise, to the reluctance to release footage and ticket sales.

1 hour ago, jengd said:

Agree with Jenn about everyone being delighted about the broadcast and have no idea why Warners or GD are so reluctant to share footage with us

Warner and Green Day have a super secret and highly ingenious plan to release a never before thought of, one of a kind, live DVD of their tour. Awesome As Fuck But Awesomer is the working title. Obviously the sales generated by eager fans will offset any potential ticket sales they could have generated if they'd released pro footage during the actual tour to help promote it better and sell more tickets. Estimated release date 2021. If John Roecker gets on board with the plans estimated release date is 2031. Stay tuned. 

The truth is we don't know the real reason behind this decision. I'd like to think they are holding onto the rights because they don't know what they will want to release later, but it could also be because they feel with everyone recording everything themselves and so much already on YouTube they don't need to bother. Or some other reason who knows.

8 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Warner and Green Day have a super secret and highly ingenious plan to release a never before thought of, one of a kind, live DVD of their tour. Awesome As Fuck But Awesomer is the working title. Obviously the sales generated by eager fans will offset any potential ticket sales they could have generated if they'd released pro footage during the actual tour to help promote it better and sell more tickets. Estimated release date 2021. If John Roecker gets on board with the plans estimated release date is 2031. Stay tuned. 

Oh god, this shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did, I sincerely hope this is wildly off the mark but who knows lol!

I mean they released the 'world stage' gig on mtv (oh what ever it was where billie had blond hair. In Italy?) and AAF in the same album cycle. So I dont get why they won't 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:18 PM, jengd said:

Oh god, this shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did, I sincerely hope this is wildly off the mark but who knows lol!

I was joking when I wrote it but when I read it back afterwards I was like :ermm: Oh shit :lol:

1 minute ago, herewegoagain said:

So... does that mean highlights or just highlights of the highlights?

If it's only 29 mins it defo highlights of highlights 

Correction 35 mins now it says ? Idk

The must be the greatest highlights then. Nobody has better highlights than Absolute Radio. They're the best.

The must be the greatest highlights then. Nobody has better highlights than Absolute Radio. They're the best.

Well it's played basket case and bang bang, maybe they just cut out that annoying radio host who couldnt stop talking?

Says 40:something now, suppose it's the whole thing. I mean "the whole thing". :really:

Says 40:something now, suppose it's the whole thing. I mean "the whole thing". :really:

At the start of this new on demand thing, they said it was enhanced highlights  

If this is the tracks in full and without chatter in between then I'm  interested.

Actually, even if it's just the songs in higher quality (less compression) then I'd be interested too. 

Just now, MillenniumFan said:

If this is the tracks in full and without chatter in between then I'm  interested.

There's a lot less chatter, just the 1 or 2 this is absolute radios and a little 50 second bit at the start 

Literally just said they didn't have much chatter and then they said about how great it was and stuff in between American idiot and welcome to praise spoke to soon. But that women saying hit after hit, no filler, is cut which is good, so there's still less

Yes, what I mean with full is, BOBD and Holiday were cut slightly short at the beginning (so is American Idiot technically). Can you report if that's any better?

Actually, I assume just by being on demand the quality should be marginally better, could someone who knows more about audio than me (such as @Wouter1994) report on this?

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yes, what I mean with full is, BOBD and Holiday were cut slightly short at the beginning (so is American Idiot technically). Can you report if that's any better?

Actually, I assume just by being on demand the quality should be marginally better, could someone who knows more about audio than me (such as @Wouter1994) report on this?

It's the same as the radio I believes

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just listened to this again and it definitely seems slightly higher quality audio when compared to the stream/broadcast recording. Mostly it sounds less compressed (the drums sound slightly better). So could somebody somehow rip this, so we have this version too? I can't currently, as I'm on holiday and only have my mobile phone on me. On the other hand, it does say 77 days left...

For some reason I only just now listened to the interview and it amused me. I agree with Billie about phones at shows because I can't comprehend wanting to miss just absorbing every moment without thinking about anything else, and I'd feel too bad for obscuring people's view and contributing to the band being slightly less happy and the atmosphere being slightly less good than if no one had their phones out to do it (and one thing that always amazes me is how people aren't scared to blatantly keep pointing them at him when he's just ranted against it, I'd be putting it away at once :lol:). But it also made me laugh how he was totally ready to go on a full blown technology rant just as the interview ended and how he kept mentioning Oakland when the interviewer along with virtually everyone in the UK doesn't know anything about it or care about it :lol: 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

For some reason I only just now listened to the interview and it amused me. I agree with Billie about phones at shows because I can't comprehend wanting to miss just absorbing every moment without thinking about anything else, and I'd feel too bad for obscuring people's view and contributing to the band being slightly less happy and the atmosphere being slightly less good than if no one had their phones out to do it (and one thing that always amazes me is how people aren't scared to blatantly keep pointing them at him when he's just ranted against it, I'd be putting it away at once :lol:). But it also made me laugh how he was totally ready to go on a full blown technology rant just as the interview ended and how he kept mentioning Oakland when the interviewer along with virtually everyone in the UK doesn't know anything about it or care about it :lol: 

I agree to a certain degree about phones at shows but I think it's more about being considerate about those around you and making sure you still enjoy yourself. I'm one of these that does take photos and videos but they're  for myself as I rarely even look at my screen I hold the phone pointing in the general direction and hope for the best, I usually hold it down near my chest as well so it's not blocking anyone's view. I always end up with lots of crap but usually get a few good ones. I never usually share my videos as you can always hear my awful singing in them :lol: 

22 minutes ago, jj0407 said:

I agree to a certain degree about phones at shows but I think it's more about being considerate about those around you and making sure you still enjoy yourself. I'm one of these that does take photos and videos but they're  for myself as I rarely even look at my screen I hold the phone pointing in the general direction and hope for the best, I usually hold it down near my chest as well so it's not blocking anyone's view. I always end up with lots of crap but usually get a few good ones. I never usually share my videos as you can always hear my awful singing in them :lol: 

Yeah I don't really mind if other people do it (especially when it's done considerately) and I do watch the videos so can't really complain :lol:, I just can't see the appeal of doing it myself.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I don't really mind if other people do it (especially when it's done considerately) and I do watch the videos so can't really complain :lol:, I just can't see the appeal of doing it myself.

I noticed that I actually did it less and less the more shows I went to this year. I took more at the first show in February because it was the first time I was ever seeing them live, but by the time I was at the 5th show in Sheffield last month I barely took any.

Archived