Final 30 seconds of a Green Day show

JudgesDaughter16

As the title suggests, I've been thinking a lot about my experiences of the last 30 seconds of a Green Day show, and what it feels like to stand there, almost in slow motion, taking in every tiny detail. Anyway, I've put my thoughts together and thought I'd share, I'd be interested to know how other people feel during the same moment :) My experience is influenced by my most recent Green Day show at Hyde Park.

Standing in a giant field awash with the colours of the midsummer sunset, the warm breeze gently cooling our dew-dripped faces. Watching and listening as my favourite band on earth play the closing part of their final song, my arms outstretched to the heavens, surrounded by 65,000 people all doing the same. The billowing shower of confetti fluttering through our fingers, dancing on the breeze, as it falls all around us, sticking to our sweaty clothes and faces. Looking upwards and taking a deep breath as though the atmosphere of the concert is airborne, desperate to inhale the last few moments of it. And looking back to the stage through tear-blurred eyes, clutching my heart as though it may burst with the emotion of the moment, and watching as the three boys who changed my life wave goodbye and leave the stage once more. A Green Day concert is more than a gig. It is belonging, it is safety, it is love, it is freedom. It is home. A home you live in for only a short time, but one that you can revisit forever.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Tre strike the final chord to Good Riddance at all shows on the tour? He did at the two I went to thus far and it helped lighten the fact that shit...it's over again.

1 minute ago, St. Jonny said:

Did Tre strike the final chord to Good Riddance at all shows on the tour? He did at the two I went to thus far and it helped lighten the fact that shit...it's over again.

I don't remember at Hyde Park, I have a video from Manchester though so I'll have to check!

16 minutes ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

As the title suggests, I've been thinking a lot about my experiences of the last 30 seconds of a Green Day show, and what it feels like to stand there, almost in slow motion, taking in every tiny detail. Anyway, I've put my thoughts together and thought I'd share, I'd be interested to know how other people feel during the same moment :) My experience is influenced by my most recent Green Day show at Hyde Park.

Standing in a giant field awash with the colours of the midsummer sunset, the warm breeze gently cooling our dew-dripped faces. Watching and listening as my favourite band on earth play the closing part of their final song, my arms outstretched to the heavens, surrounded by 65,000 people all doing the same. The billowing shower of confetti fluttering through our fingers, dancing on the breeze, as it falls all around us, sticking to our sweaty clothes and faces. Looking upwards and taking a deep breath as though the atmosphere of the concert is airborne, desperate to inhale the last few moments of it. And looking back to the stage through tear-blurred eyes, clutching my heart as though it may burst with the emotion of the moment, and watching as the three boys who changed my life wave goodbye and leave the stage once more. A Green Day concert is more than a gig. It is belonging, it is safety, it is love, it is freedom. It is home. A home you live in for only a short time, but one that you can revisit forever.

I honestly don't think your description of the final moments of a Green Day show can be topped! It was actually so beautiful and captured the spirit, essence and feeling of a GD concert beautifully, truthfully, emotionally and perfectly. If I could like this fifty more times, I would :happy:

I just cry because I never know when I'll see them again.

11 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

I honestly don't think your description of the final moments of a Green Day show can be topped! It was actually so beautiful and captured the spirit, essence and feeling of a GD concert beautifully, truthfully, emotionally and perfectly. If I could like this fifty more times, I would :happy:

Ahhh bless you that's so sweet! It's Green Day we have to thank haha!

9 minutes ago, belinda jane said:

When I was at Hyde Park, I thought I'd be seeing them again three days later in Glasgow, so I was able to just enjoy the moment without getting upset. Had I known that that would be it, I would've been a wreck haha!

4 minutes ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

When I was at Hyde Park, I thought I'd be seeing them again three days later in Glasgow, so I was able to just enjoy the moment without getting upset. Had I known that that would be it, I would've been a wreck haha!

That's the worst :(
Sorry about Glasgow.

5 hours ago, belinda jane said:

I was thinking about this today - I still can't believe I did 5 concerts in 7 nights - one of the best weeks of my life:)

7 hours ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

Holy shit you should be an author 

3 hours ago, luketrebilliemike said:

Holy shit you should be an author 

Hahaha I don't have the patience or the imagination unfortunately!

I'm a goof so the whole thing ends for me the second the confetti go off. I lose all focus and gotta catch em all. :mellow:

The moment I realize it's soon to be over is Still Breathing. I don't think I was able to enjoy that song because each time I was like "Oh no, not this, not now, this was way too short". I calmed down when I did the math and realized there's still almost 20 minutes to go after that, so from FN till the end it's all fun again. :P 

12 hours ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

I can see myself standing there again, too. You described this special moment beautifully. I always don't know if I should be happy or sad in exactly this moment. Happy because of the wonderful experience and the memories that will last forever, no one can take them away from you anymore ever. Sad because it's over and you don't know when you will see them again (I especially had that feeling in Hyde Park because it was the last of my 5 shows. It could take years till I see them again. Oh God). So yeah, it's really a bitter-sweet, half laughing, half crying moment.

And I absolutely love that Tre and Mike come out again at the end of Good Riddance during this tour. It's just so beautiful to see the three boys happy together instead of Billie leaving the stage alone. Actually, I think the last 30 seconds of a GD show in 2016/17 perfectly capture the atmosphere of the whole RevRad era.

22 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Damn, I think I've been doing it wrong. I'm usually heading toward an exit during Good Riddance but fuck me if I've been missing the OP at the end of every show.

I always frown on those people who leave early because they're missing the magic, yeah, you should definitely stay :)

When I saw Green Day last year at the Aragon and I knew the set was about to end, I was standing there in disbelief. Here I was seeing one of my favorite bands for the second time in an intimate setting; I couldn't ask for a better show. 

When Billie struck the final chord of Good Riddance, I was overcome with this sense of happiness and pride. They did an excellent show and I wanted to shout it over and over so the band knew just how good their set was. I was also smiling because Tre and Mike joined Billie on stage and you could see their friendship and love for each other shining through.

Karen, who so kindly took me to the show, and I had our arms draped around each other and wouldn't stop cheering. We'd just seen Green Day! We were over the moon! 

It is a bittersweet feeling because while you're happy that you were able to experience it, you don't want it to end.

6 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Damn, I think I've been doing it wrong. I'm usually heading toward an exit during Good Riddance but fuck me if I've been missing the OP at the end of every show.

That was beautiful!

As much as I hate knowing that it's the end, there is nothing quite like taking it all in in those last few seconds :)

When I saw Green Day at Leeds earlier this year (my 1st GD concert), Billies solo encore seemed to pass so quickly I felt like it was happening in fast-forward mode.

I was watching Billie sing, but at the same time I was also thinking about if/when I will see GD again. Although the concert was 2 and a half hours long, it didn't feel anywhere near as long as that. I remember thinking to myself ''I've waited all this time to see GD and the gig has passed so quickly''.

I kept glancing across the sides of the stage waiting for Mike and Tre to emerge, and when they did I clapped and screamed as loud as I could. I then watched them disappear off the stage hoping I will be lucky enough to see them again.

4 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

When I saw Green Day at Leeds earlier this year (my 1st GD concert), Billies solo encore seemed to pass so quickly I felt like it was happening in fast-forward mode.

I was watching Billie sing, but at the same time I was also thinking about if/when I will see GD again. Although the concert was 2 and a half hours long, it didn't feel anywhere near as long as that. I remember thinking to myself ''I've waited all this time to see GD and the gig has passed so quickly''.

I kept glancing across the sides of the stage waiting for Mike and Tre to emerge, and when they did I clapped and screamed as loud as I could. I then watched them disappear off the stage hoping I will be lucky enough to see them again.

I know what you mean. It seems to be over so fast. The more I see them, the more I tell myself to stay in the moment, to let myself believe that they are really there and it's not all a big dream, because as soon as it's over, that's how it'll feel. I try my best to really focus on 'pinching myself' to make the whole thing feel as real as possible, and when it hits me that it's really them, they're really here, I usually cry 😂

As a side note, I videod TOYL at Manchester, and then afterwards felt like I'd not properly lived it, so at Hyde Park I put my phone away and just took in every tiny detail of those closing moments. As lovely as it is to have videos to look back on, nothing can really replace the feeling of being completely present in that moment.

I just think to myself: God damned another show without Horseshoes & Handgrenades!!
:(

1 minute ago, Your _Enemy said:

I just think to myself: God damned another show without Horseshoes & Handgrenades!!
:(

I'm like that but with Going to Pasalacqua. I think we would've got it in Glasgow as well, which is even more annoying 😂

2 minutes ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

I'm like that but with Going to Pasalacqua. I think we would've got it in Glasgow as well, which is even more annoying 😂

I was lucky enough to experience that one in berlin in 2012! I'm sure you'll get that one eventually :D

Just now, Your _Enemy said:

I was lucky enough to experience that one in berlin in 2012! I'm sure you'll get that one eventually :D

I'm hoping so! Four concerts over the last 12 years and I'm still waiting! Think it just seems to be pot luck, I'm glad we got Christie Road though :)

I think I've had a different feeling during the last song every time I've seen them. If I think back at my last show I was having this overwhelming feeling of appreciation. That I'm almost 30 and this band is still the best thing to ever happen to me. Fills me with tons of energy to deal with whatever life throws at me. 

7 hours ago, crock6000 said:

I'm very tempted to point you towards the blasphemy thread :P

5 minutes ago, JudgesDaughter16 said:

I'm SO happy that I got to see Pasalacqua and Paper Lanterns in Sweden but what's killing me right now about Glasgow is that we definitely would've had 21 Guns :cry: I have a really weird relationship with that song - I didn't even like it for the longest time but then they started playing it and it grew on me (/realised I loved it all along) and it was pulled away from right under my nose.

Anyway, beautifully put in your first post! <3 It is such an emotional moment for good and bad, although it pains me to say it's fading from my memory exactly how it felt (won't go on about it, ha)

3 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

I'm very tempted to point you towards the blasphemy thread :P

I'm SO happy that I got to see Pasalacqua and Paper Lanterns in Sweden but what's killing me right now about Glasgow is that we definitely would've had 21 Guns :cry: I have a really weird relationship with that song - I didn't even like it for the longest time but then they started playing it and it grew on me (/realised I loved it all along) and it was pulled away from right under my nose.

Anyway, beautifully put in your first post! <3 It is such an emotional moment for good and bad, although it pains me to say it's fading from my memory exactly how it felt (won't go on about it, ha)

I would love them to play anything off 1039 when I see them...here's hoping for next time!

11 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I'm a goof so the whole thing ends for me the second the confetti go off. I lose all focus and gotta catch em all. :mellow:

This was me :lol::lol: And the sad part is I only catched 2 mid the air, both the same colour. FML.

This time I saw them was the first I didn't cry at any point during the show ir right after, not sure why but I was just so in the moment and happy that I didn't even think about the fact I'm not seeing them again any time soon. Although while listening to the Hyde Park audio today I was bawling my eyes out during BOBD and 21 Guns hahahah maybe it's the PMS.

1 minute ago, Tubbie Head said:

This was me :lol::lol: And the sad part is I only catched 2 mid the air, both the same colour. FML.

I did that in Manchester but then quickly realised that there was so much of it all over me and on the floor that I didn't need to jump up and down like Harry Potter trying to catch a Hogwarts letter ahaha

Archived