History & Technical Info on Blue (Including Replicas & Backups)

Liam

19 hours ago, tfowl81 said:

Really amazing to see this guitar! If you look at the sticker on the upper horn of the guitar, just underneath the black tape, it's a very faded 'One Man Army' sticker. I made that sticker at home with a Sharpie and handed it to Billie from the front row of the London Astoria gig, Feb 1st 1998, along with an orange 'Hi-Fives' sticker. I remember him dropping it on the stage after he took it from me. I had no Idea that he stuck it on one of his guitars! I guess he must have picked it up after the gig. If you watch the video of the gig, he takes the stickers from me during the extended outro to 'When I Come Around' (timestamp 1hr 11mins 17secs into the vid)👍

Wow, this is a great story! Thanks so much for sharing! I went back to watch the video this morning at the timestamp, I see the interaction with you and Billie during the When I Come Around frenzy, haha. Its cool to see he stuck it on his main Blue guitar tuned to E for the nimrod songs, so your sticker was seen by lot of people! I've attached a few images from that time with a clear shot of your DIY One Man Army sticker. Did you add the extra details around the lettering? 

billy-joe-armstrong-of-green-day-perform

mountain-view-calif-june-18-billie-joe-a

Another conversation, but this is one of many examples why Green Day will always be punk 🤘

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, Drink Coffee And Destroy said:

Wow, this is a great story! Thanks so much for sharing! I went back to watch the video this morning at the timestamp, I see the interaction with you and Billie during the When I Come Around frenzy, haha. Its cool to see he stuck it on his main Blue guitar tuned to E for the nimrod songs, so your sticker was seen by lot of people! I've attached a few images from that time with a clear shot of your DIY One Man Army sticker. Did you add the extra details around the lettering? 

billy-joe-armstrong-of-green-day-perform

mountain-view-calif-june-18-billie-joe-a

Another conversation, but this is one of many examples why Green Day will always be punk 🤘

Thanks for the pics! 

The sticker I made was very basic, just a white square with the band name in capitals. On this guitar, it's been stuck over another sticker with that pattern on it. In the current photo of the guitar, you can make out the original shape of my sticker from the brown residue/adhesive that remains. Weird to think that I was 17 when I made it and handed it to Billie at the gig. I love how on the present day photo of the guitar, you can see how corroded by sweat/playing it is now. Not much left of it.

I also gave him some stickers at the Astoria gig in September 1997. You can see the moment in the video of the gig on YouTube. I'll post timestamps later.One was a red 'Squirtgun' sticker and one was a black 'Groovie Ghoulies' sticker, which he stuck on the original 'Blue' during the gig and can be seen in the video, covering up the 'The Muffs' sticker. I guess he decided he didn't like it there, as it was removed at the next gig I saw (Feb '98) 👍

Edited by tfowl81
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

Curious if anyone wants to weigh in on the actual color of Blue. This catalog should confirm that its actually Sonic Blue. Havent found any info of the Fernandes coming in Daphne Blue, but I'd love to hear any other info that anyone has. 

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fernandes/1982/en_02.html

That is assuming SOB stands for Sonic Blue

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Alf said:

Interesting! Glad to see its out and about. It would be great to see it reunited with its original Birdseye neck but either way I love that its in the public eye again. Cool to see they replaced the initials on it too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alf said:

Blue replica is still around!!!

Nice! I just saw that yesterday. Really cool to see it getting some love. And as Hammie said, it was given a fresh set of initials. Still one of my favorite Billie Joe guitars.

1 hour ago, Insomniac90 said:

Is this from the Punkrock Museum? Thought Green Day didn‘t want a part of it? Or what was Mike from NOFX talking about?

Yes this is the museum Fat Mike put together. I personally wasn’t aware or didn’t read anything that Green Day didn’t want to participate. Either way, it’s pretty cool because it’s the Blue guitar that got the most use that’s not the original. 

Thought there was something about GD not wanting to be involved in the running of it, guess that doesn’t mean they can’t lend exhibits.

2 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

Is this from the Punkrock Museum? Thought Green Day didn‘t want a part of it? Or what was Mike from NOFX talking about?

They have a smaller exhibit because they didn’t want to be involved in creating it

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:46 PM, Flashback said:

Thanks for this. Yet another treasure trove topic on this awesome site. I never cease to be gobsmacked. What an amazing journey of 'Blue's" history. Thanks to everyone for sharing, especially @Liam for the intro detailed info, much appreciated.

I've got this visual doc, you've probably already seen, but could not see on here. Hope its ok to share on here for anyone who may not have seen it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Salmon Pink/Red Offset Guitar (1995)
Seen as a back up for Blue at Stabler Arena, Bethlehem (11/11/1995)

- Used on She after Blue broke a string on Basket C.ase
- Model details unknown

X4znzGi.jpg

• Like 2