History & Technical Info on Blue (Including Replicas & Backups)

Liam

Thanks for doing this. Interesting that he sanded off the Fender name on the 90's copy. Was he trying to pass it off as the original Blue? This really clears things up for me.

the main debate remaining in the Q and A thread now is whether he got it for Christmas 82 (age 10) or birthday 83 (age 11). 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thanks for doing this. Interesting that he sanded off the Fender name on the 90's copy. Was he trying to pass it off as the original Blue? This really clears things up for me.

the main debate remaining in the Q and A thread now is whether he got it for Christmas 82 (age 10) or birthday 83 (age 11). 

Did Billie write WMUWSE in 82?

That solves the debate if it did.

Edit: 83'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenDayTheory said:

Did Billie write WMUWSE in 82?

That solves the debate if it did.

????

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

????

I personally don't think he did.

I mean he wrote WMUWSE noodling around his guitar i think then he wrote the lyrics.

4 minutes ago, GreenDayTheory said:

I personally don't think he did.

I mean he wrote WMUWSE noodling around his guitar i think then he wrote the lyrics.

He wrote that in 2002.  I don't see what that has to do with whether Blue was a Christmas or birthday present.  

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He wrote that in 2002.  I don't see what that has to do with whether Blue was a Christmas or birthday present.  

Oh ok lol

Wikipedia says 10yrs old and Blue was given when his dad died.

You can't  trust Wikipedia for information.  Anybody can change or put  anything on those pages, so they aren't always accurate.

Here is a 1995 interview with Billie where he talks about it, so you can get it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. 

https://youtu.be/_-C8VPDm9Ic

• Like 1

Thanks. I saw that a long time ago and had forgotten some of the detail. Man they were young.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

You can't  trust Wikipedia for information.  Anybody can change or put  anything on those pages, so they aren't always accurate.

Here is a 1995 interview with Billie where he talks about it, so you can get it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. 

https://youtu.be/_-C8VPDm9Ic

I don't trust Wikipedia

On 10.07.2017 at 10:25 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

In Total Guitar interview from late 1997 it was implied that this guitar (though there is a very, very similar guitar from roughly the same time period that is probably a Fender) is most likely a Fernandes. The neck was custom-made though - http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/3818/.

I don't think Billie Joe tried to pass it off as Blue, because Blue was still very much in use at the time.

• Like 2

Also...

Fender Stratocaster (1993)

Used as a back-up guitar for Blue in 1993. 

- Has a red strap, likely an Ernie Ball

- Fitted with Seymour Duncan L-500XL, albeit not angled

- All other parts appear to be original.

http://imgur.com/a/o4ND8

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenDayTheory said:

Off topic but what picks Billie use?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just watching the 1993 show from McGreggors and while he's changing a broken string he says "I should have a spare guitar, but this one is kind of a security blanket. My mom got it for me when I was 11."  So there you have it.  🙂 

(And it always seemed like a security blanket to me but it was nice to hear him say it)

Just watching the 1993 show from McGreggors and while he's changing a broken string he says "I should have a spare guitar, but this one is kind of a security blanket. My mom got it for me when I was 11."  So there you have it.  🙂 

(And it always seemed like a security blanket to me but it was nice to hear him say it)

I knew it. I guess he decided 10 sounds better :P 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This is some great info. I wonder what Blue's serial number is so we can find out whether he was an 80 an 81 or an 82. Also, it's funny how on the swamp thing guitar Billie removes the volume pot but keeps the tone pots because that's the exact opposite of what i did to my guitar.

18 hours ago, Billie Joe's Fender said:

This is some great info. I wonder what Blue's serial number is so we can find out whether he was an 80 an 81 or an 82. Also, it's funny how on the swamp thing guitar Billie removes the volume pot but keeps the tone pots because that's the exact opposite of what i did to my guitar.

Could be that the two tone knobs are now master tone and volume, although I can't work out why they'd remove the volume and change the routing of the tones. Removing the volume control doesn't make sense anyway and based on Billie's track record of only keeping the volume knob is quite unusual.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2017 at 1:50 AM, Liam said:

Blue Replica - Fender Stratocaster (1997 - 1999)
Around Nimrod era Billie started using a replica of Blue with different stickers that was made by Fender rather than Fernandes. It's rumoured that he used multiple though all the pictures I've seen all to appear to be the exact same stickers in the exact same spot.
- Fitted with Seymour Duncan SH4 on angle
- Has logo on headstock sanded off.
- Sprezels tuners.
- All other parts appear to be original.

There were two "Blue" guitars made for that tour. The other one is this: 

Blue Replica - Fernandes LE-1 Stratocaster (1997-1999)

First replica made for the nimrod tour

- Angled Seymour Duncan JB

- Black initials

- Sperzel tuners

- Headstock modified by Bill Schneider

- All other parts appear to be original

Here's what it looked like without the modifications

https://imgur.com/a/k2X9ER8

These are other guitars that were on hand at that time:

Red Fender Stratocaster (1997)

One off guitar used at the HMV Alley Show

- Sperzel tuners

- Single black volume knob

- All other parts appear to be original

- Smashed after Basket Case

https://imgur.com/a/CcX58RS

"Peach" Stratocaster (1997-1999)

- Fitted with angled white unknown humbucker

- Believed to be another 'Frankenstein' guitar

- Controls limited to one volume knob

- Large 70’s style headstock

- Sperzel Tuners

Can confirm with this picture this guitar is NOT natural finished, more of a peach color

https://imgur.com/a/NPWwvLe

Candy Apple Red Fender Telecaster (1997)

- Non-angled Seymour Duncan JB

- Sperzel tuners

- All other parts appear to be original

https://imgur.com/a/hvuhv4e

Black Fender Strat (1998)

- Played by Timmy Chunks while Billie took the mic (King For A Day, Platypus)

https://imgur.com/a/b4fsm26

Edited by Drink Coffee And Destroy
  • Like 2

I am convinced there were more than 2 Blue Fenders made during the Nimrod Era. I recall seeing a photo of his guitar rack that had 4 or 5 from memory, that would have been including Blue. 

13 minutes ago, Hammie Stein said:

I am convinced there were more than 2 Blue Fenders made during the Nimrod Era. I recall seeing a photo of his guitar rack that had 4 or 5 from memory, that would have been including Blue. 

I know exactly that photo. Blue is strapped on Billie, Blue backups #1 and #2 and the Pink/Natural guitar are in the rack. There's also the Red Stratocaster and Maroon Telecaster so that would make seven guitars total from that period.

1 minute ago, Drink Coffee And Destroy said:

I know exactly that photo. Blue is strapped on Billie, Blue backups #1 and #2 and the Pink/Natural guitar are in the rack. There's also the Red Stratocaster and Maroon Telecaster so that would make seven guitars total from that period.

this photo?

48051560_338698927001715_768083782673629

and don't forget the black tele from that era, Billie played it in the Nice Guys video and there was a NYE performance where he used it for Scattered, and then he used the pink strat for Good Riddance

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maddie86 said:

this photo?

Bingo. But it asks the question of what guitar is directly behind Billie? 🤨

5 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

and don't forget the black tele from that era, Billie played it in the Nice Guys video and there was a NYE performance where he used it for Scattered, and then he used the pink strat for Good Riddance

Good catch. I had to go back and watch the NYE show to jog my memory. I'm still fuzzy whether the "pink" strat is actually painted (shell pink maybe?) or left natural.