History & Technical Info on Blue (Including Replicas & Backups)

Liam

13 hours ago, Todd said:

No longer for sale on Reverb. Do you recall how much it was listed for? I wish I had seen your post earlier, I love that guitar! 

Its back up for sale in London now.
https://reverb.com/item/29026067-fender-stratocaster-1970-olympic-white-ex-billie-joe-armstrong-green-day

• Love 1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, Todd said:

No longer for sale on Reverb. Do you recall how much it was listed for? I wish I had seen your post earlier, I love that guitar! 

The original price in Paris was $24,900; and as @Hammie Stein mentioned above, the relisting in London is for around $17.5k. 

Edited by Drink Coffee And Destroy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Liam I'm not sure if you added this or not, but after Lollapalooza '94, the white humbucker was taken out of Blue and the Bill Lawrence pickup was reinstalled sometime in the fall of 1994. The only difference between his original BL and this one is it's all black, without the chrome shield:

lawrence-late-94.jpg

If you want a sound sample, it was featured in Jaded In Chicago and Madison Square Garden '94. Not many people know that he used it again briefly before the JB was installed in 1995.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally found the 1997 Total Guitar scans after digging around a bit:

tumblr_n5ch13RkXX1sv8va6o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5ch13RkXX1sv8va6o5_1280.jpg

The Telecaster on the second page is Candy Apple Red, not the maroon color I had listed.

I also think it's a bit ironic that Billie proceeds to say "Strats are just the hardest to break. Les Pauls are so wimpy - you can smash them instantly..." and two years later begins to play Gibson almost exclusively. Plus, he's not wrong. Strats are damn near bulletproof.

• Like 4

On 11/16/2019 at 4:15 PM, Drink Coffee And Destroy said:

So I'm planning to send an email to Fender regarding their involvement in Billie's guitars from the nimrod era/tour cycle. I'm going to include this picture for reference:

billie-guitar-rack.jpg

The main guitar I'm going to be asking about is the Blue to his left (with the left handed bridge, my profile pic) in regards to its origin and the neck (which is owned by a member on this board). I also wonder if they supplied him with any stock guitars as way of getting his attention and as stated before, if they tried to get him on their artist roster. If anyone has any other questions I should include, drop them here!

Fender's communication is absolutely shocking if there's no money in it for them, had a few questions about a friend's '62 Strat and they still haven't replied

10 hours ago, Joe. said:

Fender's communication is absolutely shocking if there's no money in it for them, had a few questions about a friend's '62 Strat and they still haven't replied

Oh wow. That email I was going to send to them never actually happened but that is good to know! They probably have no interest in answering questions unless its inquiring about a guitar from the Custom Shop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Drink Coffee And Destroy said:

Oh wow. That email I was going to send to them never actually happened but that is good to know! They probably have no interest in answering questions unless its inquiring about a guitar from the Custom Shop.

We wanted to ask about the neck stamp dates and a few other bits and pieces and never heard back

2 hours ago, foxborohottub said:

2017_01_4_shot17_page_053-v2.jpg?format=

that guitar still exists. all the others were destroyed or turned into other guitars

-Bill

Please let me buy it

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

That's incredible! Happy to know this one is still alive!

23 hours ago, foxborohottub said:

that guitar still exists. all the others were destroyed or turned into other guitars

-Bill

unnamed-33.jpg

Yoo Bill! Hope you’re well. I own the neck to that guitar. I’m using a Fender Mexican 50’s Classic Series body, Duncan Antiquity single coils, JB. Neck still had the Sperzel’s on it when I acquired it. Also had some blue paint on the headstock. This thing must’ve been smashed up good before it was discarded. Alex Fernez at Fender built the neck. The only imperfection from him was that pesky Fender logo. Thank goodness you guys sanded that off...

p.s. I think what I have follows the Fernandes dimension, which the only difference is a wider nut width. So in essence, I made a Frankenstein of a Frankenstein of a copy of a lawsuit copy of a Fender Strat.

- Lee Taylor 

Edited by alfredenormal
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, foxborohottub said:

-Bill

Hi Bill.

I hope I am finding you well and safe during this time. I was just wondering, with you posting this picture a couple of weeks ago, if it is in your possession? I always loved this second Blue. It looks just as awesome is i remember it! Sorry to bother you during this time.

Adam

Edited by AdamCicatello

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

What's the best way to make a replica of Blue? I already have the right guitar but I don't have any stickers and she isn't pickled. The only solution is to buy everything online?

2 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Hey guys!

What's the best way to make a replica of Blue? I already have the right guitar but I don't have any stickers and she isn't pickled. The only solution is to buy everything online?

The stickers you can find online, what do you mean by pickled?

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

The stickers you can find online, what do you mean by pickled?

I really don't know how to translate this word from french to english 😂 But at certain parts of the guitar, the blue isn't there anymore, it's only wood. 

8 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I really don't know how to translate this word from french to english 😂 But at certain parts of the guitar, the blue isn't there anymore, it's only wood. 

ah, you mean faded or aged, perhaps?

distressed? 

27 minutes ago, Squashie said:

ah, you mean faded or aged, perhaps?

distressed? 

I think he means relic-ed.

Where are the stickers available?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I get you. I would be careful doing that yourself, its very easy to just fuck up the guitar. Personally I'd try and find a luthier who's still working and send them the specs you want. It can be done at home, but its difficult to do without looking shit

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joe. said:

I get you. I would be careful doing that yourself, its very easy to just fuck up the guitar. Personally I'd try and find a luthier who's still working and send them the specs you want.

This is what I did and the guy did a fucking incredible job

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, alfredenormal said:On 11/14/2019 at 10:29 PM, Hammie Stein said:

this guitar is sort of legit, I bought this guitar and we put the humbucker in it and a week later Billie gave it away to a girl at a show in Paris. So it is what it is...

Bill

Edited by foxborohottub
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, foxborohottub said:

this guitar is sort of legit, I bought this guitar and we put the humbucker in it and a week later Billie gave it away to a girl at a show in Paris. So it is what it is...

Bill

Not really a guitar question Bill, but can you tell me if Broken Guitars is still going to offer t-shirts for sale? They were supposed to come out for pre-order and then nothing happened? I’ve been trying to get one for a couple years now. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Question for you Bill @foxborohottub regarding two guitars; the Blue on the right with the black initials and the pink guitar on the left:

total-guitar-97-1.jpg

From doing research, I came to the conclusion that the Blue on the right was a Fender American Vintage Reissue Strat in Lake Placid Blue; can this be confirmed? Also, was the Pink Strat on the left a fully constructed guitar or was it built entirely from parts? I noted it only has the one humbucker in the bridge going to a single volume knob. Thank you!

• Like 1