The Green Day Language Game

pacejunkie punk

Just now, heathenchemist said:

Scheiße

(I apologize to anyone who immediately understands this but I couldn't censor it because I needed to make sure you have a chance to guess.)

Scheiße? Do you mean Dookie? :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One is a well known song in an obscure language, the other is the other way round. Both Google Translate.

-Mi petas sonĝi kaj diferenci de la kavaj mensogoj

-Qui diable êtes-vous pour me dire / Qu'est-ce que je suis et quel est mon plan directeur?

9 hours ago, NickTheToaster said:

One is a well known song in an obscure language, the other is the other way round. Both Google Translate.

-Mi petas sonĝi kaj diferenci de la kavaj mensogoj

-Qui diable êtes-vous pour me dire / Qu'est-ce que je suis et quel est mon plan directeur?

I know the second one is "Who the hell are you to tell me what I am and what's my master plan" from Reject (which I assume is the obscure song in a well known language). If I had to guess at the first one, I'd say "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies" from Holiday simply because I'm assuming differ = differenci

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

I know the second one is "Who the hell are you to tell me what I am and what's my master plan" from Reject (which I assume is the obscure song in a well known language). If I had to guess at the first one, I'd say "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies" from Holiday simply because I'm assuming differ = differenci

Damn it, well done! It is Holiday in Esperanto, and Reject in French.

• 1 year later...

Instead of confusing everyone and pissing off the mods with my weirdly spontaneous use of Norwegian, I've decided to migrate over to this thread instead (for a little revival yay)! So here goes (no google translate, so might contain errors):

1: (...) Was isch gopferdammi din name? Was isch dis vergnüege und was isch din schmerz? Häsch z vil träumt? Denksch was d bruchsch isch e krücke? (...)

2: (...) Du skal nok bide din stolthed i dig, den kunne kvælde dig. Fordøj dine værdier, fordi de bliver til lort (...)

3: (...) Me desperté en el mal lado del suelo. Pasé por la puerta de entrada. Rompí el compromiso conmigo mismo. Imagen perfecta de mala salud (...)

4: (...) ‘Fin, c'est suffisant pour te écœurer, pour jeter une pierre et lancer une brique. Quand le ciel tombe, il te brûle complètement tes rêves. (...)

What the hell is your name? What's your pleasure and what is your pain. Do you dream too much? Do you think what you need is a crutch? - in Swiss German? It's about as close to German as Yiddish :P

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

What the hell is your name? What's your pleasure and what is your pain. Do you dream too much? Do you think what you need is a crutch? - in Swiss German? It's about as close to German as Yiddish :P

Wow that was quick, spot on!

Also: glad to hear that, because unlike Yiddish, Swiss German isn't considered a language due to not having any written rules concerning grammar or orthography. That said, I think calling it just an accent or even a dialect is a bit of an understatement in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, MillenniumFan said:

Wow that was quick, spot on!

Also: glad to hear that, because unlike Yiddish, Swiss German isn't considered a language due to not having any written rules concerning grammar or orthography. That said, I think calling it just an accent or even a dialect is a bit of an understatement in my opinion. 

I'm not great at German so maybe that's why it took me a while to figure it out, but yeah, it doesn't really feel like the same language. 

16 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I'm not great at German so maybe that's why it took me a while to figure it out, but yeah, it doesn't really feel like the same language. 

Nah don't worry ;) It usually takes most native German speakers several months to even understand the language and many also never fully manage to speak it, even after many years of living in Switzerland. This is most likely because the language is simply too difficult to learn "automatically", especially because of things like pronunciation and some vocabulary and there's also simply no real need to learn it. Switzerland's formally spoken and written language (in the German part) is High German, so being fluent in Swiss German is officially never a requirement. 99% people in the German part of Switzerland are fluent in High German and can easily understand it.  Swiss German can improve your social status and/or even increase chances of being hired, so there is use in being able to speak it, but there's no formal requirement for it. 

Archived