Books about Green Day

IcyMoffatt

2 hours ago, IsaGreenDay said:

Sorry to get off-topic, but... Have you met him? How was it!? 

And yes, In China With Green Day blows every other book on Green Day out of the water. Brilliant writing and insights.

Not to get too off topic but yes I did meet him and he was absolutely lovely. We mostly talked books and he asked me what I do and got talking about that because he's big into history, anthropology and archaeology etc. That was good because I was kind of nervous to be honest. He's extremely intelligent and interesting. I thought he'd be spend five seconds talking to me at most but he was really engaged in the conversation. A genuine person. :D 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Okay you guys have talked about the In China with GD book so much, I'm gonna have to order a copy!! I hate the shipping cost, but after looking around it sounds like something awesome!

As a writer yourself, you're going to love this.

I have two books on the band from like 1995. Those are the best because it was right when they first exploded. The problem I have with books on green day is that they always seem to be just full of qoutes from mtv interviews and rolling Stone. And spend way too much time on dookie and American idiot and basically ignore everything between. And they spend too much time in the whole sell outs things.

I found on WorldCat a book named Green Day and it's by Kalen Rogers. It's from 1996 and has only 56 pages. Does anyone ever saw this book? I guess it mostly has pictures inside.

You can find a bunch of books on WorldCat in different languages from everywhere in the world. Unfortunately, some authors didn't have so much imaginations for the titles and just simply named their books «Green Day».

10 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

We mostly talked books and he asked me what I do and got talking about that because he's big into history, anthropology and archaeology etc. 

Ok, now I really want to meet this guy. I have a bachelor and a master degrees in history.

7 hours ago, IcyMoffatt said:

Ok, now I really want to meet this guy. I have a bachelor and a master degrees in history.

:) Hey we have something in common there! I have a bachelor in history and archaeology and a masters in archaeology. I'd call that minimum requirements for a decent conversation with Cometbus :lol: He'll still know more about any subject than you do bizarrely! He just reads so much. This is a guy who taught himself several languages. He's inspirational. 

On the topic of Green Day books, I beg of everyone to stay away from Green Day Revealed by Ian Shirley. It's just dreadful. He thinks that Billie Joe's youngest son is named Joshua. Fuck's sake. And for seemingly no reason there's a photo from the 21CB era smack dab in the middle of the Nimrod section.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:41 PM, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I would strongly recommend In China With Green Day? by Aaron Cometbus. It's unique in that it's actually guaranteed to be factually accurate and you'll get an insiders point of view of the band that no other writer could provide until one of the band decides to write something themselves and even then they'll probably have Aaron edit it if they're smart :lol:

where do I go and read this?..

7 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

where do I go and read this?..

Amazon has it. Mine just arrived yesterday. I can't wait to read it. 

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Amazon has it. Mine just arrived yesterday. I can't wait to read it. 

That's Great!

Currently sad because I need to find those on bookstores becouse I don't use online shopping.

I have no money.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:53 PM, IcyMoffatt said:

I found on WorldCat a book named Green Day and it's by Kalen Rogers. It's from 1996 and has only 56 pages. Does anyone ever saw this book? I guess it mostly has pictures inside.

You can find a bunch of books on WorldCat in different languages from everywhere in the world. Unfortunately, some authors didn't have so much imaginations for the titles and just simply named their books «Green Day».

I have it it's about the size of a guitar tab book and has alot of great pictures but it's also got the biography in it the text is smaller so it looks like just a picture book but it's not. I love this book.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, GreenDayTheory said:

That's Great!

Currently sad because I need to find those on bookstores becouse I don't use online shopping.

I have no money.

If you have the ISBN of the books, you can ask some bookstores to order them for you. Some stores will accept and others don't. If you succeed to get a book ordered, it may takes times before it arrives depending if the supplier has the book in stock. But atleast you will be able to pick it up in store. 

2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Just got these in the mail:

You are going to love Cometbus. What is the other one? 

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

You are going to love Cometbus. What is the other one? 

The other one is New Noise Magazine which features a story on Turn it Around and the flexi disc by The Armstrongs, featuring Billie, Tim, and Rey

9 hours ago, kaylubd said:

The other one is New Noise Magazine which features a story on Turn it Around and the flexi disc by The Armstrongs, featuring Billie, Tim, and Rey

That sounds good. Who's Ray? 

6 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

That sounds good. Who's Ray? 

No clue. People were discussing it in another thread....it may have been the Random News thread.

1 hour ago, kaylubd said:

No clue. People were discussing it in another thread....it may have been the Random News thread.

Ok, thanks 

22 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Ok, thanks 

The Armstrongs is a group formed by Billie Joe Armstrong, Joey Armstrong, Tim Armstrong and Tim's nephew Rey Armstrong, they've done a song for the Turn It Around documentary:

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

The Armstrongs is a group formed by Billie Joe Armstrong, Joey Armstrong, Tim Armstrong and Tim's nephew Rey Armstrong, they've done a song for the Turn It Around documentary:

Thank you so much! I thought it was someone's relative :lol:

So I finished reading In China with Green Day and I really liked it! It was a sweet, interesting story about friendship and growing up. Of course I loved the candid bits and old stories about the band, but the other things Aaron talks about, like how he's changed was great too. I appreciate his honesty. He admits maybe he was too dogmatic about the scene or too hard on them, but he's also not afraid to criticize them. I also felt like he pulled up contradictions like how he was still uncomfortable about their massive fame, but enjoyed the perks and admitted the shows were good. Also, he didn't have this DIY REAL punk elitist attitude, which was great. I only disagreed with some of his statements about stadium shows, but that was about it.

So thanks for the recommendation everyone! I had no idea about this book until this thread :)

I also discovered the book from this thread. One other thing I'll point out is that a lot has been said by Billie in the past about how they lost all their friends from the Gilman scene when they signed to Reprise, but here we get Aaron's perspective. He feels he lost as many if not more when their friends outgrew the scene and moved on in different directions. The difference was Billie, Mike and Tre still had each other where others felt alone pursuing different paths. Just an interesting point of view.

Yeah! Good point! I also like how he pointed how the band was getting hate and criticism before they made their major label move. He just brought a lot of interesting views to the table regarding Gilman and the rise of Green Day. I hope he tours with them again and writes about it.

I have a book about Green Day that I read.  The protagonist was Billie Joe, the antagonist was TreCool wearing a dress, and Mike Dirnt wasn't mentioned that much because he's just not as popular as the other two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this and think it's cool. In China With Green Day?! has been translated into Russian and given a different front cover for its Russian release. Aaron has been in Russia the past few weeks and signing special Russian editions of books but I figured this one may be of interest to Green Day fans. Also check out the baby Billie badge :D

Archived