Books about Green Day

IcyMoffatt

45 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Just saw this and think it's cool. In China With Green Day?! has been translated into Russian and given a different front cover for its Russian release. Aaron has been in Russia the past few weeks and signing special Russian editions of books but I figured this one may be of interest to Green Day fans. Also check out the baby Billie badge :D

Awesome! A more zoomed out version of the Scrabble picture :D 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Awesome! A more zoomed out version of the Scrabble picture :D 

Yes! I'm rather surprised to see a different cover. He's already translated it to French but it had the same cover so this is pretty cool. :D

60023441_11430249.jpg

OMG! There is a french version of the book?! I want it!

• 10 months later...

Just got this:

Green Day FAQ: All That's Left to Know About the World's Most Popular Punk Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/1495051676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5h.iBbTETXYEK

It’s brand new and goes through the Rev Rad era. So far I really love it. It’s big, factual and you can tell the author really gets the band and the fans and what makes Green Day special. The foreward and introduction alone were great reading, now I’m working my way through the rest. Very well written so far. Recommended to help get you through the coming drought 🙂

There’s a chapter about Green Day and their fans and it includes this quote that illustrates perfectly why I love him. Billie told Spin magazine:

”Being in a band, you have to be a fan first. So when you meet people who have something to say about how some song affected them, those are the people I connect with. I am still that person myself.”

:wub:

I didn't even know about this book! I hope it's better than the Nirvana FAQ one I have. That one is boring and riddled with errors and misinformation.

28 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I didn't even know about this book! I hope it's better than the Nirvana FAQ one I have. That one is boring and riddled with errors and misinformation.

I’ve learned to not sweat the typos and small stuff. No book is perfect. But anything else that I think might be inaccurate is probably one of those things where there are many versions of the truth anyway and the real story has never been confirmed. 

I've decided to buy Cometbus' book, but it seems Amazon doesn't have it anymore. Well, there is no more book at 10$. I can order one from a third party on Amazon.com though, but it's like 60$ . Amazon.ca doesn't have it.

Does anyone have seen a copy of Cometbus' book for sell at a cheaper price (including the delivery price)?

6 minutes ago, IcyMoffatt said:

I've decided to buy Cometbus' book, but it seems Amazon doesn't have it anymore. Well, there is no more book at 10$. I can order one from a third party on Amazon.com though, but it's like 60$ . Amazon.ca doesn't have it.

Does anyone have seen a copy of Cometbus' book for sell at a cheaper price (including the delivery price)?

This is where I ordered Cometbus #54 In China with Green Day from. I don't know what international shipping is, but I don't think the shipping cost was more than $3 in the USA.
https://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/3501

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’ve learned to not sweat the typos and small stuff. No book is perfect. But anything else that I think might be inaccurate is probably one of those things where there are many versions of the truth anyway and the real story has never been confirmed. 

I can let a few typos pass, but I can't ignore it when they keep coming up. And I thought the info they got one was pretty basic stuff that one Google search can clear up. 

10 hours ago, IcyMoffatt said:

woah! that's insane. I'm pretty sure I bought mine that way a couple months ago and it was $11. If I had a scanner at home or literally any free time at work, I'd scan the whole thing for ya. If you don't luck out finding it somewhere, hit me up in a month or something.

OMG! I did a little bit more research on Google to see if I can find Cometbus' book in a store closer to my home. The bookstore inside the university next to my school has it according to its web site. I can't buy it online, I need to go directly to the store though. So, I guess I need to go downtown today. :)

That's great! When I bought mine, I got it from the publisher. It sucked paying $4 shipping, but it's a great read. I hope you enjoy it!

23 minutes ago, IcyMoffatt said:

I found it!

Enjoy it! I'm reading it for a second time (when I'm home, which is not this week).

What other books about Green Day do people recommend? The ones I have are

Nobody Likes You

Green Day in China

Green Day Rising

Treasures of Green Day

A Green Day book by Gillian G Garr....I can't remember the name

And another GD omnibus book I can't remember the name of either. 

Right now I’m reading Larry Livermore’s Spy Rock Memories and it’s great. I bought that along with his one about Lookout Records, How to Ru(i)n A Record Label and I’m looking forward to reading that too. 

I enjoyed Green Day: American Idiots and the New Punk Explosion by Ben Myers. It was the first GD book I read and I haven't read any of the other well known ones (except Cometbus) though so I might be biased and can't say how good it is compared to others. I thought it was well written and had a lot of interesting info and stories about the band.

I already finished reading In China with Green Day. I loved it! It was the first time I ever read something by Aaron Cometbus. He certainly is a good writer. Totally my type of author. Even if some parts of his point of view can be questionable, he really did a good to give the reader the impression we were with him and the band in Asia. And some other stuff made me smile, like the way he think about the future of GD (if only he knew at the time what would have happenned in 2012!)

7 hours ago, IcyMoffatt said:

I already finished reading In China with Green Day. I loved it! It was the first time I ever read something by Aaron Cometbus. He certainly is a good writer. Totally my type of author. Even if some parts of his point of view can be questionable, he really did a good to give the reader the impression we were with him and the band in Asia. And some other stuff made me smile, like the way he think about the future of GD (if only he knew at the time what would have happenned in 2012!)

He certainly is a good writer but his commentary is very questionable and the part where he goes on and on about Japanese fans is downright misogynistic and racist. 

9 hours ago, IcyMoffatt said:

I flat out disagreed with his opinion about Billie kissing fans onstage. The idea that keeping a distance makes you more desirable or somehow unattainable I don’t get at all. Even as affectionate as he is, he’s still unattainable of course but it just makes you feel closer and loved and that makes him more desirable not less.  I’m glad he never took Aaron’s advice on this one. 

Archived