Revolution Radio music video launches today

Wamasa

I won't quote you @crock6000, but I love that you took the effort to make that long ass post (no sarcasm, I mean it) in response to me. And no, our opinions probably dont differ that much really. I like the concept but just not the execution. IMO the best videos are band performances in an unexpected setting - the simplicity of that has more potential to become iconic, like indeed Basket Case. And GD are a performance band, it's where they're most comfortable. 

It was really just the assumption that people who don't like it were looking for a story that I felt compelled to reply to. Adding a story to a music video is just another layer they have to perfect for a good video. Simple and powerful works best for that genre I think.

"Concept motion graphics video" - yes those are great. It's why I love 21CB, and the Bang Bang lyric video. 

You know, for all this talk, the RevRad video actually does have a narrative if you think about it. They're not just playing in a random venue, they're purposely playing in Gilman intertwined with old clips to show that's where they are and they're returning to it when it's old and empty. :D 

Anyway, thanks for the post, and the clips. :) 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is one amazing Posts or Essay from #crock6000 about how to making Music video..:lol:

I used love that MJ's Thriller video..that was amazing.

I love GD's video Nice guys finish last, WC,Redundant, Holiday,SB..

1 hour ago, crock6000 said:

Music is made to be enjoyed, music videos are made to be enjoyed and if you can pull enjoyment out of anything, take it.  My wife often gets upset when I tell her "I can't believe you like this crap" referring to pretty much EVERYTHING she watches on TV and then we always get in the same discussion about how I wish I liked that garbage because it would mean there would be more things for me to enjoy. If you can enjoy somethings, DO IT!

tl almost dr; but that's a very nice sentiment I'm constantly trying to keep in the back of my mind. Positivity is good et cetera, don't waste it.

As for staying on topic, the video isn't terribly exciting in any way (although I liked it from the get go) but for what it's worth it definitely gave the song another burst of life for me. I always thought it was one of the least exciting tracks of the album and a bit of a boring choice of single, but I've really really enjoyed it in the past couple of weeks. It's subconsciously taken on a whole new meaning having the video in my head when listening to it, which is exciting in itself.

1 hour ago, herewegoagain said:

As for staying on topic, the video isn't terribly exciting in any way (although I liked it from the get go) but for what it's worth it definitely gave the song another burst of life for me. I always thought it was one of the least exciting tracks of the album and a bit of a boring choice of single, but I've really really enjoyed it in the past couple of weeks. It's subconsciously taken on a whole new meaning having the video in my head when listening to it, which is exciting in itself.

Agreed but can I also just say I'm having a really hard time reading your username without singing it in my head? 😂 So thanks for that. 🤘👍😁

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Agreed but can I also just say I'm having a really hard time reading your username without singing it in my head? 😂 So thanks for that. 🤘👍😁

Haha, you're welcome! I sing/hum it pretty much daily (not exaggerating.. much) so welcome to club :wub:

7 minutes ago, Caroline Truong said:

#Here we go again..which song is that?..from your usersnamed..I totally forgot?:dry:

Going to Pasalacqua

6 hours ago, crock6000 said:

+1 for "tl almost dr", it took me a minute to figure that one out. :)

Although, I always wonder why people don't read things that are not so short (who in reality they are). Do you guys read books?  And I don't mean this as a slight to you and thank you for the kind words but to the internet world, what is the fear of reading more than 200 words?  I mean I type super fast so it doesn't take me long to write those posts.  The thing on that one post that took the most time BY FAR was getting the videos in there.  Probably why I often have so many typos.  If it's a really long post, I might go back and give it one proof read to fix any major errors, but I never understand the TLDR, especially when the content is full of such unique, fun and inspirational material such as mine. ;) Kidding but TLDR is an abbreviation that I just don't get.  Either you are interested in the topic in which case, read it, or you're not, and don't.

I suffer from a bad case of ADHD which makes me go on tangents, combined with super speed typing where I can throw out a bunch of shit in a minute.  I can type faster than I think sometimes and it leads to some whacky posts and I would say about 90% of them stay. You guys should read the ones I erase.  So with that said, I am glad it got the "tl almost dr" which took me a minute to figure out but gave me laugh.  And if you think Revolution Radio is one of the more boring tracks on the album then I am guessing you haven't caught them live yet this tour because that fucking song live is one of the best on the album (that they play anyway).  Billie has a knack for knowing what to play live and I agree that the song in the car is pretty good but live it kicks your fucking ass.

Well, there's a fine line between "least interesting" and "more boring"! I've actually seen them twice this year, the first time (January) I have to say it didn't really give me that rush but being new-ish to the band just taking it all in was kind of more than enough, so several songs felt like that  - however they all blew me away on a whole other level seeing them last week (including RR). Much thanks to the band being better than ever but also just because I've had time to get to know the songs even better. That's the beauty of music IMO, that you can form relationships with songs and how you hear them is constantly evolving based on experiences around them, if that makes sense.

And I'm glad you didn't take that in a bad way, I wouldn't have said it if you hadn't touched upon the rambling nature of your posting yourself :P But I did actually read it and enjoy it, so there! I honestly don't know why it's like that though - personally I have the attention span of a five year old so can hardly speak for the general internet world. There's a time and place for everything, but of course if you're on a site dedicated to a specific subject I agree you should be open to taking the time. Whenever my mind's in the right place I do LOVE diving into long reads, but there'll always be that someone that can't stay on topic or relevant to the discussion (not pointing at you), so maybe it stems from there. Although what's relevant can also be somewhat subjective. I know I can tend to go off on a tangent myself too so keep it in the back of my mind because that's not what people are there for. But anyway; attention span, no idea where I'm going with this. I agree with you in theory, just not sure if that's how the majority of the internet works :lol:

Brb enjoying the mental image of 16 year old BJ blasting Public Enemy

3 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

That's the beauty of music IMO, that you can form relationships with songs and how you hear them is constantly evolving based on experiences around them, if that makes sense.

And that's what I love about Green Day and their audience. They write songs that are both personal and universal and relatable to the point where everyone can bring their own meaning to it and share in the same emotional connection at the same time. I think it's a big part of what makes the relationship that these guys have with their fans so unique and special. I honestly haven't found it quite the same way with any other band, even though a lot of music has special meaning to me. It's something to do with the way Billie connects at live shows, there's no barrier, you feel connected on the same level to them, all the weirdos, freaks and strangers finding a home with a bunch of guys that feel the same way you do about music and life. ❤️

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And that's what I love about Green Day and their audience. They write songs that are both personal and universal and relatable to the point where everyone can bring their own meaning to it and share in the same emotional connection at the same time. I think it's a big part of what makes the relationship that these guys have with their fans so unique and special. I honestly haven't found it quite the same way with any other band, even though a lot of music has special meaning to me. It's something to do with the way Billie connects at live shows, there's no barrier, you feel connected on the same level to them, all the weirdos, freaks and strangers finding a home with a bunch of guys that feel the same way you do about music and life. ❤️

Yes! Pretty much what I've thought but not managed to articulate. Spot on.

1 hour ago, crock6000 said:

I loved everything about this post! (You see I can make em short sometimes). On a serious tip, loved it. Yeah, live Green Day is a different beast.

Love is all you need! :happyhands: (but you had to edit and add a couple of sentences ;))

20 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Going to Pasalacqua

I thought it was that song..thanks.

anyways..I 've re-watch the revrad video again..and again..it is better

.but I thought Billie has too much make-up on...too shining on his face and too white.:ermm:

• 1 month later...

Ooh, if Sam Bayer is doing a fancy, ambitious seven minute video we might get some making of footage from that?

21 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Ooh, if Sam Bayer is doing a fancy, ambitious seven minute video we might get some making of footage from that?

Hope so, but the band had better be in the damn video! 

On 18.6.2017 at 6:55 PM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

So how does this video stack up against their others?  That's something we haven't done on here that I know of - rank the music videos!  

For me, this one is probably fifth worst music video by the Green guys.  Here are my least favorite official Green Day music videos:  

East Jesus Nowhere (live footage - the worst art form on the planet. Also one of my least favorite singles)

Welcome to Paradise.   (live footage, ugh)

Brain Stew / Jaded.   (worst  non-performance video)  

The Forgotten  (Of all things, why Twilight?  Could have been on The Trolls soundtrack and would have turned out better!)  

Revolution Radio (Weird performance, weird angles and tacky clothing.  Visually unpleasing.  The only visual positive is the Sweet Ch

ildren sign.  I feel like this could have been a cool video if they had made the younger versions of them playing the song with matching lips.   Sure a lot of artists have done that before but it would have been better than what we got, which is a video that is competing for "best worst video" with Know Your Enemy and losing.   Not.  Freaking.  Good.   

Know Your Enemy  (I'm torn on this one.  It's the best of my least favorite videos)

I've got a thing against performance videos I guess.  I really hate live footage music videos.  It just feels like such a waste.  

Completely disagree. I think live videos are what really matter. This is where you watch the band. Just think of some of guns n roses albums. And then go and watch them live ' and listen to axls voice :( a difference yeh. And green day is at its best live, so live footage is a lot better than music vidoes i think unless it's a fantastic music video. Music videos are in the end only for the justin bieber fans. People who can feel the power of rock would rather have east jesus nowhere live from olympiahalle than a music video. Live footage is hwere you see and heare the band for real. No question. 

2 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

Completely disagree. I think live videos are what really matter. This is where you watch the band. Just think of some of guns n roses albums. And then go and watch them live ' and listen to axls voice :( a difference yeh. And green day is at its best live, so live footage is a lot better than music vidoes i think unless it's a fantastic music video. Music videos are in the end only for the justin bieber fans. People who can feel the power of rock would rather have east jesus nowhere live from olympiahalle than a music video. Live footage is hwere you see and heare the band for real. No question. 

East Jesus Nowhere is one of my least favorite Green Day songs.   

I've never heard anything by Justin Bieber but I do like music videos though.   

Guess we can agree to disagree. :)

1 minute ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

What makes you dislike EJN? Just curious, I consider it one of the best tracks on 21.

3 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

I disagree. A music video is an extra chance for artistic expression that can enhance, bring deeper meaning to or even add brand new meaning or a new perspective to the song. Live footage is great as well but I think both are valuable and worthwhile. And when hours of live footage of a song already exists it can be somewhat of a wasted opportunity to make the music video more of the same. Imagine what an interesting and impactful video they could've made for East Jesus Nowhere instead of just putting out another live video of it when we'd already seen it played live on video countless times.

I do think they got it right with the Rev Rad video though since there's more to it than just a standard live performance, and they'd already done a non live video take on it with the (very good) lyric video.

Music videos of a band just playing there with nothing else really going on is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring. It was literally just a live performance and nothing else on Rev. Same could be said for how boring Stay the Night and others were.

39 minutes ago, Eric said:

Music videos of a band just playing there with nothing else really going on is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring. It was literally just a live performance and nothing else on Rev. Same could be said for how boring Stay the Night and others were.

I thought the classic clips kept it interesting. Great idea to work those in.

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

I disagree. A music video is an extra chance for artistic expression that can enhance, bring deeper meaning to or even add brand new meaning or a new perspective to the song. Live footage is great as well but I think both are valuable and worthwhile. And when hours of live footage of a song already exists it can be somewhat of a wasted opportunity to make the music video more of the same. Imagine what an interesting and impactful video they could've made for East Jesus Nowhere instead of just putting out another live video of it when we'd already seen it played live on video countless times.

I do think they got it right with the Rev Rad video though since there's more to it than just a standard live performance, and they'd already done a non live video take on it with the (very good) lyric video.

What we really miss from the revrad era is of course pro shot footage from the tour. Please ckeck out the thread revolution radio promotional and commercial performance 

8 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Say what you want about the song, but if you watch it live you know it's a killer song live. 

22 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

What makes you dislike EJN? Just curious, I consider it one of the best tracks on 21.

I don't dislike it, I just like it less than most Green Day songs.  It's a good song, it's just not great in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I don't dislike it, I just like it less than most Green Day songs.  It's a good song, it's just not great in my opinion.  

What your leastest non good song from the Green Days is your opinion?  My bestest song be, my opinion, wouldn't be a bad song.

• 1 year later...

Archived