Whatever happened to "greenday.net"?

GodzillaREMIX

Back in the day .net  used to be my "go-to", and if I'm not mistaken, the official fan page that had some interaction with the band. Looks like the page is still up but hasn't been updated since 2013. Anybody know what happened and why it's not longer getting new content? 

Was there any beef? Haha, I don't know the other GD fan site, since I kinda just joined the "fandom" and only know GDA/GDC. I'm just asking cause I'm running a fairly big Linkin Park fan site and I'm curious about other bands' fan communities. There are about 3 or 4 big LP fan sites including mine and back in the day there's always been beef about this or that. One day LP made us all "official ambassadors", mailed us all LP news beforehand, threw us together in a group chat and suddenly we all became buddies :lol:

I used to love this site! I remember going to it when I was like 11 back in 97/98

I remember going to it and seeing how far behind it was compared to GDA, I mean it wasn't kept up with and honestly there's no fansite i know that is as advanced and kept up to date as this one. The other website I remember was geekstinkbreath.net and those had pretty funny games but again not really anything compared to GDA. 

GDA is the only site I've ever used, cause I know its the best!!

Great site that the old school fans will remember well. Jason Holmes ran it. How the **** did the working stiff become so obsolete? Wonder what happened to him. Likely life got busy and he wasn't able to spend as much time to the site as he once had. And this happened around the Warning era...and then the next round of fans took the baton, a new and better site (GDA) took hold, and the rest was history. I love this site, but definitely appreciate greenday.net and everything about it during the earlier days.

2 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Great site that the old school fans will remember well. Jason Holmes ran it. How the **** did the working stiff become so obsolete? Wonder what happened to him. Likely life got busy and he wasn't able to spend as much time to the site as he once had. And this happened around the Warning era...and then the next round of fans took the baton, a new and better site (GDA) took hold, and the rest was history. I love this site, but definitely appreciate greenday.net and everything about it during the earlier days.

I think he's the moderator on the Green Day subreddit :D Still continuing the Green Day passion, but without the pains of running a website

4 minutes ago, Todd said:

I think he's the moderator on the Green Day subreddit :D Still continuing the Green Day passion, but without the pains of running a website

Great update. As I suspected- life gets in the way sometimes...as you guys know it's a lot of work to run a site like this. Glad he still maintains the passion. He's an early days GD web legend.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Just remember spending lots of time on that site way back when and thought I'd ask...

23 hours ago, ryan1039 said:

Thanks for the info, everyone. Just remember spending lots of time on that site way back when and thought I'd ask...

Hey, I remember trying to start a fansite while in college back many years ago (pre-GDA). I quickly learned it was a pain in the ass to manage and update properly and just let it fade away- it's probably still out there on the web somewhere (provided geocities still exists). A real testament to the dedication of the GDA team- this is not an easy thing to keep going and we're lucky to have them. GDA staff and mods- thank you!!!

On 6/9/2017 at 6:27 PM, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

I remember going to it and seeing how far behind it was compared to GDA, I mean it wasn't kept up with and honestly there's no fansite i know that is as advanced and kept up to date as this one. The other website I remember was geekstinkbreath.net and those had pretty funny games but again not really anything compared to GDA. 

GSB was my second forum place after GDC as well. Actually, I think I was probably more active on GSB for a while. It had a more active Mike specific thread and I do recall quite a bit of drama it stirred. :lol:

They were a little more lax with rules and such so I think that helped them stick around for a while.

The only thing I know about greenday.net is that someone called Brian Gray apparently from there once somehow pissed off the person who (at the time) owned the only good quality recording of DUI so much that he put the song out with "Brian Gray from greenday.net is a fucking dickhead" spoken over the intro and outro so that anyone who wanted a non-awful recording of the song would have to hear that every time they listened to it. Fun fact!

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

The only thing I know about greenday.net is that someone called Brian Gray apparently from there once somehow pissed off the person who (at the time) owned the only good quality recording of DUI so much that he put the song out with "Brian Gray from greenday.net is a fucking dickhead" spoken over the intro and outro so that anyone who wanted a non-awful recording of the song would have to hear that every time they listened to it. Fun fact!

And yet he now works for GreenDay.com ;)

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

nice bit of trivia there...

• 2 weeks later...
On June 12, 2017 at 0:29 AM, Hermione said:

Is it still floating somewhere and any info on who owned it??

9 minutes ago, GreenDayTheory said:

Is it still floating somewhere and any info on who owned it??

Hmm I don't know if I have it anywhere now, and no I never knew who owned it. @Todd you don't have that "Brian Gray from greenday.net is a fucking dickhead" version of DUI do you?

Archived