Und hörst du den Klang der Hysterie?

because this way, it rhymes.

but the syllables don't match up with the melody :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ich will kein am-rikanischer Idiot sein

So passt es

Can't imagine how they're going to make that work anyway.

Best case, it sounds like mediocre copy, worst case, it sounds cliché German and crap to boot. And why anyone would translate SONGS at all, I can't understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to see the musical in january. I really hope, that the songs will be in english :)

2 hours ago, basket_case93 said:

I'm going to see the musical in january. I really hope, that the songs will be in english :)

I'm afraid they won't be. The website says: "In der Batschkapp werden die legendären Green Day-Songs erstmalig in der deutschen Übersetzung von Titus Hoffmann gespielt." ("In the Batschkapp, the legendary Green Day songs will be played in the German translation by Titus Hoffmann for the very first time"). So they're definitely talking about the songs here, not the stuff in between songs. Ouch. I'm still going though, but it could be painful.

49 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I'm afraid they won't be. The website says: "In der Batschkapp werden die legendären Green Day-Songs erstmalig in der deutschen Übersetzung von Titus Hoffmann gespielt." ("In the Batschkapp, the legendary Green Day songs will be played in the German translation by Titus Hoffmann for the very first time"). So they're definitely talking about the songs here, not the stuff in between songs. Ouch. I'm still going though, but it could be painful.

I'm afraid too... I still hope that they would sing in english. I couldn't imagine how the songs sounds in german. When I translate for example 21 guns, it doesn't sound good to the rhythm of the music...

Would you also see the musical in Frankfurt?

@basket_case93 Yeah let's hope for the best, but if they ruin my favourite album, I will get really, really mad. ;) At the same time I don't want this thing to flop, just for Green Day's sake. So yes, I'm going to Frankfurt, I live nearby so that's really easy for me :)

1 hour ago, MMwhatsername said:

Batschkapp? I'm surprised by this, I didn't know you could perform musicals in a (small) club. Have you ever been in there? 

2 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

@basket_case93 Yeah let's hope for the best, but if they ruin my favourite album, I will get really, really mad. ;) At the same time I don't want this thing to flop, just for Green Day's sake. So yes, I'm going to Frankfurt, I live nearby so that's really easy for me :)

American Idiot is also my favorite album :happyhands:

Oh then it is easy for you. I live near Hamburg, but it's ok. I hoped for years that the musical will come to germany. So I have definitely to come to Frankfurt and see it for at least one time 😊

2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Batschkapp? I'm surprised by this, I didn't know you could perform musicals in a (small) club. Have you ever been in there? 

Yeah, I've been to the old one and the new one. The old one was a tiny, slightly filthy place, but very nostalgic and a great venue for very intimate club concerts (I saw Simple Plan and Yellowcard there several times). The atmosphere was great, but the toilets - no comment:lol:. The new one is just one of those average, modern concert halls, nothing special, but quite nice. I've never seen it with seats though.

Well, I think they'll translate the lyrics because they want the audience to understand what's going on :lol: Seems reasonable but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it... But hey, it's American Idiot. It can't be that bad... :D

• 5 weeks later...

American Idiot Deutschland recently posted something about the castings on Facebook, and I commented that I hoped Billie Joe will play the St. Jimmy (:happy:) and I asked them if they really plan to translate all the songs into German. Here's what they replied, I thought it's quite interesting, so I thought I'd share it:

"If Billie Joe will be a part of it, remains to be seen #JustKidding. The great Titus Hoffmann created a wonderful translation of the songs that will keep the spirit of the songs without losing anything from the original version. Don't worry, the line "Don't wanna be an American Idiot" will not be translated with "Ich will keiner amerikanischer Idiot" [which isn't grammatically correct by the way, translator's note] or something like that."

pfwifkp5.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, they're announcing the cast next Monday. It's supposed to be a "mixture of stars and promising newcomers".

I can speak German a little and I'm acquainted with the grammar in general, so would be hilarious to hear the harsh German version :ga:I love Mutter album by Rammstein, despite I don't understand a lot .. alle warten auf das Licht, furchtet euch, furchtet euch nicht!.. Einz, here kommt die Sonne, zwei... :lol:

9 minutes ago, greenalert997x said:

I can speak German a little and I'm acquainted with the grammar in general, so would be hilarious to hear the harsh German version :ga:I love Mutter album by Rammstein, despite I don't understand a lot .. alle warten auf das Licht, furchtet euch, furchtet euch nicht!.. Einz, here kommt die Sonne, zwei... :lol:

Yeah, Rammstein is great!

I still don't know if I want to hear American Idiot in German because it will be painful and it will probably ruin my favorite record in the whole world, but oh well.... I think I'll go there anyways because I live near Frankfurt and I will definitely try to take some videos and post them here :D

3 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

I love this song. I don't remember its name but I know it and it's great :ga:

Amerikanischer Idiot will be the funniest thing we'll ever see. I've never been more sure about anything. :lol:

German is a nice language and if the translator does a good job it can turn out great. 

4 minutes ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I love this song. I don't remember its name but I know it and it's great :ga:

Amerikanischer Idiot will be the funniest thing we'll ever see. I've never been more sure about anything. :lol:

German is a nice language and if the translator does a good job it can turn out great. 

I am German but to be honest, I am a bit sceptical right now whether the translator will be able to express the original meaning of the lyrics. I really hope he will, though because there aren't many spoken dialogues so the whole musical kind of lives from the songs only.

Okay, so, here's the cast. Aaaaand they already ruined this for me because they translate "Extraordinary Girl" with "Abgefahr'ne Frau" :fool: I can't stop laughing and feel so embarrassed to be German at the same time :lol:

I take back what I said, we only know the name of one song and it's already hilarious :lol:

sie ist eine angefarhne Frau doesn't sound that bad though. It could be worse. :lol:

Abgefahr'ne Frau and Lieblingssohn though 😂

Maybe the song Lieblingssohn will be a uniformed guy singing "the Bundeswehr will deliver bananas to the supermarket" instead of sexy underwear dancing :D

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

So I just got my tickets for the 17th January... anyone I will see there, @Thatsername perhaps? ;) 

Oh cool, so you're going to see the premiere :) Pretty sure I will go on the 28th though because it's a Sunday and some friends from a different state will join me who will stay with me for the weekend. But I'll think about it and maybe I'll go twice!

At first I thought that the 17th is such a nice date for the premiere because it's Billie's birthday, but I just realized that's actually in February :P I'm kind of thinking that this might be my only chance to ever see the musical, but I'm not sure if I can justify going all the way to Frankfurt to see it (especially with my very limited knowledge of German). Maybe I will wait and first see how much you guys like it :D 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

Sooooo, tonight? :) Have fun @Billie Hoe and I'm curious for your report, I have my tickets for the 28th!

I'm on my way there now and I'm really anxious to see how it will be! I hope it will be worth it :lol: will report asap ;)

Archived