American Idiot is coming to Germany

Billie Hoe

I just saw this sponsored post on my Facebook timeline and I couldn't believe my eyes:

The American Idiot Musical is coming to Germany in 2018! (article in German) And not just Germany but Frankfurt, which is practically right next door, at least for me. It's also fitting that it would be coming to Frankfurt of all places, because Tré was born here :) Probably not why they did it, but it's a nice coincidence.

The only unfortunate news about this is that the entire thing will be translated to German, so that means that both the dialogues/monologues and the songs will be completely in German. It would be great though if they also performed it in English, it would give Green Day fans from neighbor countries the chance to see it too, and understand it, if they didn't get the chance to see it in the UK.

I'm looking forward to it anyway, I loved the recording and I've always wanted to see it live. I never thought I'd get the chance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

the entire thing will be translated to German

Germany is notorious for dubbing damn-near everything

4 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

The only unfortunate news about this is that the entire thing will be translated to German, so that means that both the dialogues/monologues and the songs will be completely in German. It would be great though if they also performed it in English, it would give Green Day fans from neighbor countries the chance to see it too, and understand it, if they didn't get the chance to see it in the UK.

I'm sorry, but that's a deal breaker for me...

Dammit, I wish my German was good enough to go and see this :( I most likely wouldn't understand a thing. Still, it's awesome that it's coming to Germany!

5 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

That's true :/ I actually haven't heard of a musical except Rock Horror that hasn't been translated... but THIS is based on an actual English album, I just don't see the point. It's called AMERICAN Idiot too, not "Deutscher Idiot"

I can't wait to hear this! :lol: hope it will be available online, at least the lyrics. 

And I secretly hope someone picks up on it (come on Germany is right next door :P) and makes a Czech version because that would be the funniest thing ever.

24 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

That's true :/ I actually haven't heard of a musical except Rock Horror that hasn't been translated... but THIS is based on an actual English album, I just don't see the point. It's called AMERICAN Idiot too, not "Deutscher Idiot"

They play RENT in English here so maybe that one doesn't have translations too...

Ich will kein Deutscher Idiot sein lol is that even correct? :lol:

18 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Ich will kein Deutscher Idiot sein lol is that even correct? :lol:

Perfect 😂

Will keine Nation unter der neuen Manie,

Und kannst du den Klang der Hysterie hören?

Das unterschwellige Hirnfick-Deutschland 😎

:lol: 

I'd expect all the dialogues and stuff to be in German, but why translate all of the songs, that's more rewriting than translating, since they'll need to make it sound good in German... But maybe they'll do a really good job, I can't wait to hear from all of you who will get to see it :D 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

And I secretly hope someone picks up on it (come on Germany is right next door :P) and makes a Czech version because that would be the funniest thing ever.

Can you imagine, omg :lol: That'd be terrible to listen to, but also very funny. 

Haha, that's grating! Just to clarify, as German and English are my two native languages, I'm perfectly capable of understanding German and therefore the German version. However, I despise the very concept. It's why when I go to see films in the cinema, I always opt for the original language screening...

2 hours ago, Marki. said:

:lol: 

I'd expect all the dialogues and stuff to be in German, but why translate all of the songs, that's more rewriting than translating, since they'll need to make it sound good in German... But maybe they'll do a really good job, I can't wait to hear from all of you who will get to see it :D 

It's going to be entertaining either way :D I hope they'll rethink this decision though, I do not want to hear Green Day songs in German...:lol:  

7 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

It's going to be entertaining either way :D I hope they'll rethink this decision though, I do not want to hear Green Day songs in German...:lol:  

Come on, we are all gonna love it :lol: 

9 hours ago, Marki. said:

Can you imagine, omg :lol: That'd be terrible to listen to, but also very funny. 

Yeah, it's probably going to sound funny but to be fair, I once saw a coverband on YouTube, they play gd songs in Spanish and it sounds beautiful. I don't understand Spanish so I can't judge the translations but it didn't seem bad at all. So this might not be that bad either. 

10 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Perfect 😂

This sounds almost perfect, but please consider:

Sind wir, wir sind, sind wir, wir sind die Wartende unbekannte

Die verschwundene und gefundene Stadt in meinen Träumen 

Now that sounds wrong :P I actually can't wait to hear it, though. It really depends on the translator and I think it's a great challenge. It's really interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't dare to translate poetry but I really admire anyone who does. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

This sounds almost perfect, but please consider:

Sind wir, wir sind, sind wir, wir sind die Wartende unbekannte

Die verschwundene und gefundene Stadt in meinen Träumen 

Now that sounds wrong :P I actually can't wait to hear it, though. It really depends on the translator and I think it's a great challenge. It's really interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't dare to translate poetry but I really admire anyone who does. 

Or Jesus of Suburbia: "Ich bin der Sohn der Wut und der Liebe, der Jesus der Vorstadt. Aus der Bibel von keiner der Obengenannten, auf einer stätigen Diät aus Limo und Ritalin, niemand ist je für meine Sünden in der Hölle gestorben, soweit ich das beurteilen kann, jedenfalls nicht jene, mit denen ich davon gekommen bin." 

That sounds like a damn office letter :D 

They should hire Till Lindemann to translate it, he's a wonderful poet in both english and german, if you count out "you've got a pussy, I have a dick-ah" 

Ugh... :sick:

Wasistihrname:

Ich dachte ich wäre dir auf der Strasse begegnet 

Dann stellte sich heraus, dies war nur ein Traum

Ich setzte dem Ganzen ein Ende, indem ich all die Fotos verbrannte

Sie ist weggegangen und dann schlug ich einen anderen Weg ein

Ich erinnere mich noch an ihr Gesicht

Aber mir fällt der Name nicht mehr ein

Jetzt frage ich mich, wie Whatsername (Wasistihrname) gewesen ist

16 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Or Jesus of Suburbia: "Ich bin der Sohn der Wut und der Liebe, der Jesus der Vorstadt. Aus der Bibel von keiner der Obengenannten, auf einer stätigen Diät aus Limo und Ritalin, niemand ist je für meine Sünden in der Hölle gestorben, soweit ich das beurteilen kann, jedenfalls nicht jene, mit denen ich davon gekommen bin." 

That sounds like a damn office letter :D 

They should hire Till Lindemann to translate it, he's a wonderful poet in both english and german, if you count out "you've got a pussy, I have a dick-ah" 

Yes, it does!! I was just reading it out loud and thought the same :lol:

Haha maybe, his lyrics are always fun 

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFan said:

Ich dachte ich wäre dir auf der Strasse begegnet 

Dann stellte sich heraus, dies war nur ein Traum

Ich setzte dem Ganzen ein Ende, indem ich all die Fotos verbrannte

Sie ist weggegangen und dann schlug ich einen anderen Weg ein

Ich erinnere mich noch an ihr Gesicht

Aber mir fällt der Name nicht mehr ein

Jetzt frage ich mich, wie Whatsername (Wasistihrname) gewesen ist

That actually sounds good! 

They should hire all of you guys :cool: 

9 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yeah, it's probably going to sound funny but to be fair, I once saw a coverband on YouTube, they play gd songs in Spanish and it sounds beautiful. I don't understand Spanish so I can't judge the translations but it didn't seem bad at all. So this might not be that bad either. 

Well, I'd definitely go to see it if it happened here :D And I believe that, Spanish sounds beautiful, but maybe hearing it translated sounds a bit weird/funny to Spanish people as well :P But like I said, I'm really interested to see what they do with it in Germany, it's definitely a challenge to make it sound good. 

Ugh why do they translate it? That's totally crazy. I'm gonna go and see it anyways because I live near Frankfurt, but I'll probably be laughing all the time :lol:

For the Italian version they translated the dialogues but not the songs apparently. It makes more sense because people may not understand the dialogues in English but they know the songs as they are and they can be strange/stupid if translated. Although it's done with plays, novels, poetry... all the time, so it's not really that strange.

This reminds me of when someone asked @Dirty Rotten Bastard if Green Day sang their songs in the local language while on tour :lol:

• 1 month later...

frankfurtidiot.jpg

18359237_1454246148210202_38805217097542

It says they're casting right now. I wonder if they still take applications. #iwannabethegermanidiot :lol:

Don't know if I should feel excited for or afraid of this :S

2 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

It says they're casting right now. I wonder if they still take applications. #iwannabethegermanidiot :lol:

Don't know if I should feel excited for or afraid of this :S

ich hoffe, dass "alle Texte auf deutsch" nur ne Fake News war 

Edit: Oops, I didn't even realize I was writing in German :lol: I said "i hope that 'everything will be translated to german' was just fake news" but I guess you already guessed...

These translations are fun to read.  I was a German major in college many years ago and while I've forgotten how to speak it, I can still read things and get the gist.  I just played a game of read the German and guess that song.  We should start a thread with a game like that in any language, but using Google Translate to solve it is cheating. :cool:

Our local public theatre gets a new artistic director next year and the first thing I want to ask him/her when I meet them is can you please do a production of American Idiot?

16 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

These translations are fun to read.  I was a German major in college many years ago and while I've forgotten how to speak it, I can still read things and get the gist.  I just played a game of read the German and guess that song.  We should start a thread with a game like that in any language, but using Google Translate to solve it is cheating. :cool:

Our local public theatre gets a new artistic director next year and the first thing I want to ask him/her when I meet them is can you please do a production of American Idiot?

Start that game, it will be so much fun! 

11 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Start that game, it will be so much fun! 

Done

On 19.5.2017 at 4:59 AM, Sarcasm said:

I re-read some Asimov novels the other day... 60s issues, if I recall correctly, and they translated EVERYTHING. Even the English word "foundation" got turned into "fundation", which is a nightmare. And don't get me started on "Tech-Mann" instead of "Tech-Man" and so on and so forth.

On 19.5.2017 at 11:47 AM, Billie Hoe said:

Perfect 😂

Nein. Einfach nein. Nix is. American Idiot ist heilig.

16 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

ich hoffe, dass "alle Texte auf deutsch" nur ne Fake News war 

Edit: Oops, I didn't even realize I was writing in German :lol: I said "i hope that 'everything will be translated to german' was just fake news" but I guess you already guessed...

You and me both...

I just realised I can't even write "bro" (well, I don't like that word anyway) or "dude" or whatever, because most the time it'd have to be "sis" or "girl" or whatever... wow.

PS: I guess it'd be more like this:

Will keine Nation unter der neuen Manie
Und hörst du den Klang der Hysterie?

because this way, it rhymes.

Archived