Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

Billie Hoe

American Idiot is coming to Germany

I just saw this sponsored post on my Facebook timeline and I couldn't believe my eyes:

The American Idiot Musical is coming to Germany in 2018! (article in German) And not just Germany but Frankfurt, which is practically right next door, at least for me. It's also fitting that it would be coming to Frankfurt of all places, because Tré was born here :) Probably not why they did it, but it's a nice coincidence.

The only unfortunate news about this is that the entire thing will be translated to German, so that means that both the dialogues/monologues and the songs will be completely in German. It would be great though if they also performed it in English, it would give Green Day fans from neighbor countries the chance to see it too, and understand it, if they didn't get the chance to see it in the UK.

I'm looking forward to it anyway, I loved the recording and I've always wanted to see it live. I never thought I'd get the chance.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

the entire thing will be translated to German

Germany is notorious for dubbing damn-near everything

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

The only unfortunate news about this is that the entire thing will be translated to German, so that means that both the dialogues/monologues and the songs will be completely in German. It would be great though if they also performed it in English, it would give Green Day fans from neighbor countries the chance to see it too, and understand it, if they didn't get the chance to see it in the UK.

I'm sorry, but that's a deal breaker for me...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit, I wish my German was good enough to go and see this :( I most likely wouldn't understand a thing. Still, it's awesome that it's coming to Germany!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh damn, I don't wanna hear that translated :lol::ermm:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

Germany is notorious for dubbing damn-near everything

That's true :/ I actually haven't heard of a musical except Rock Horror that hasn't been translated... but THIS is based on an actual English album, I just don't see the point. It's called AMERICAN Idiot too, not "Deutscher Idiot"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to hear this! :lol: hope it will be available online, at least the lyrics. 

And I secretly hope someone picks up on it (come on Germany is right next door :P) and makes a Czech version because that would be the funniest thing ever.

24 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

That's true :/ I actually haven't heard of a musical except Rock Horror that hasn't been translated... but THIS is based on an actual English album, I just don't see the point. It's called AMERICAN Idiot too, not "Deutscher Idiot"

They play RENT in English here so maybe that one doesn't have translations too...

Ich will kein Deutscher Idiot sein lol is that even correct? :lol:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: 

I'd expect all the dialogues and stuff to be in German, but why translate all of the songs, that's more rewriting than translating, since they'll need to make it sound good in German... But maybe they'll do a really good job, I can't wait to hear from all of you who will get to see it :D 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

And I secretly hope someone picks up on it (come on Germany is right next door :P) and makes a Czech version because that would be the funniest thing ever.

Can you imagine, omg :lol: That'd be terrible to listen to, but also very funny. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, that's grating! Just to clarify, as German and English are my two native languages, I'm perfectly capable of understanding German and therefore the German version. However, I despise the very concept. It's why when I go to see films in the cinema, I always opt for the original language screening...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marki. said:

:lol: 

I'd expect all the dialogues and stuff to be in German, but why translate all of the songs, that's more rewriting than translating, since they'll need to make it sound good in German... But maybe they'll do a really good job, I can't wait to hear from all of you who will get to see it :D 

It's going to be entertaining either way :D I hope they'll rethink this decision though, I do not want to hear Green Day songs in German...:lol:  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

It's going to be entertaining either way :D I hope they'll rethink this decision though, I do not want to hear Green Day songs in German...:lol:  

Come on, we are all gonna love it :lol: 

9 hours ago, Marki. said:

Can you imagine, omg :lol: That'd be terrible to listen to, but also very funny. 

Yeah, it's probably going to sound funny but to be fair, I once saw a coverband on YouTube, they play gd songs in Spanish and it sounds beautiful. I don't understand Spanish so I can't judge the translations but it didn't seem bad at all. So this might not be that bad either. 

 

10 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Perfect 😂

Will keine Nation unter der neuen Manie,

Und kannst du den Klang der Hysterie hören?

Das unterschwellige Hirnfick-Deutschland 😎

This sounds almost perfect, but please consider:

Sind wir, wir sind, sind wir, wir sind die Wartende unbekannte

Die verschwundene und gefundene Stadt in meinen Träumen 

Now that sounds wrong :P I actually can't wait to hear it, though. It really depends on the translator and I think it's a great challenge. It's really interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't dare to translate poetry but I really admire anyone who does. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

This sounds almost perfect, but please consider:

Sind wir, wir sind, sind wir, wir sind die Wartende unbekannte

Die verschwundene und gefundene Stadt in meinen Träumen 

Now that sounds wrong :P I actually can't wait to hear it, though. It really depends on the translator and I think it's a great challenge. It's really interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't dare to translate poetry but I really admire anyone who does. 

Or Jesus of Suburbia: "Ich bin der Sohn der Wut und der Liebe, der Jesus der Vorstadt. Aus der Bibel von keiner der Obengenannten, auf einer stätigen Diät aus Limo und Ritalin, niemand ist je für meine Sünden in der Hölle gestorben, soweit ich das beurteilen kann, jedenfalls nicht jene, mit denen ich davon gekommen bin." 

That sounds like a damn office letter :D 

They should hire Till Lindemann to translate it, he's a wonderful poet in both english and german, if you count out "you've got a pussy, I have a dick-ah" 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh... :sick:

Wasistihrname:

Ich dachte ich wäre dir auf der Strasse begegnet 

Dann stellte sich heraus, dies war nur ein Traum

Ich setzte dem Ganzen ein Ende, indem ich all die Fotos verbrannte

Sie ist weggegangen und dann schlug ich einen anderen Weg ein

Ich erinnere mich noch an ihr Gesicht

Aber mir fällt der Name nicht mehr ein

Jetzt frage ich mich, wie Whatsername (Wasistihrname) gewesen ist
 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Or Jesus of Suburbia: "Ich bin der Sohn der Wut und der Liebe, der Jesus der Vorstadt. Aus der Bibel von keiner der Obengenannten, auf einer stätigen Diät aus Limo und Ritalin, niemand ist je für meine Sünden in der Hölle gestorben, soweit ich das beurteilen kann, jedenfalls nicht jene, mit denen ich davon gekommen bin." 

That sounds like a damn office letter :D 

They should hire Till Lindemann to translate it, he's a wonderful poet in both english and german, if you count out "you've got a pussy, I have a dick-ah" 

Yes, it does!! I was just reading it out loud and thought the same :lol:

Haha maybe, his lyrics are always fun 

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFan said:

Ich dachte ich wäre dir auf der Strasse begegnet 

Dann stellte sich heraus, dies war nur ein Traum

Ich setzte dem Ganzen ein Ende, indem ich all die Fotos verbrannte

Sie ist weggegangen und dann schlug ich einen anderen Weg ein

Ich erinnere mich noch an ihr Gesicht

Aber mir fällt der Name nicht mehr ein

Jetzt frage ich mich, wie Whatsername (Wasistihrname) gewesen ist
 

That actually sounds good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should hire all of you guys :cool: 

9 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yeah, it's probably going to sound funny but to be fair, I once saw a coverband on YouTube, they play gd songs in Spanish and it sounds beautiful. I don't understand Spanish so I can't judge the translations but it didn't seem bad at all. So this might not be that bad either. 

Well, I'd definitely go to see it if it happened here :D And I believe that, Spanish sounds beautiful, but maybe hearing it translated sounds a bit weird/funny to Spanish people as well :P But like I said, I'm really interested to see what they do with it in Germany, it's definitely a challenge to make it sound good. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh why do they translate it? That's totally crazy. I'm gonna go and see it anyways because I live near Frankfurt, but I'll probably be laughing all the time :lol:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Italian version they translated the dialogues but not the songs apparently. It makes more sense because people may not understand the dialogues in English but they know the songs as they are and they can be strange/stupid if translated. Although it's done with plays, novels, poetry... all the time, so it's not really that strange.

This reminds me of when someone asked @Dirty Rotten Bastard if Green Day sang their songs in the local language while on tour :lol:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.