Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

2 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

I thought when I heard it was written on the 21CB tour that it was probably originally about the same person as some of the trilogy stuff, hence the "young" theme. Maybe that is why some of it seems nonsensical if it was rewritten to be about a different person. Just a thought - I'm not trying to analyse anything or suggest anything about his personal life, bla bla bla.

If definitely sounds as though it is written about two different people and sellotaped together. I've always said that. When Billie said it was rewritten I was certain. He's very messy with the sellotape. Your theory is actually really good. It does have similarities with his theme on the trilogy of singing about someone younger but to me it has so much in common with She's a Rebel I figured he borrowed from the scrapped lyrics of it. Definitely it's a messy combination of two people anyway by the sounds of it. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Youngblood. I don't understand the criticism for it. The lyrics aren't that bad. It's one of my favourite songs from RevRad. I just think, with so many heavy songs on the album, such as Still Breathing, Bang Bang and Troubled Times, it's nice to hear a light-hearted, upbeat, fun, bouncy song that doesn't need to be taken seriously and Youngblood fits that perfectly. I think it's a really cute song.

9 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Actually I think the only person who takes it seriously is Hermione :P Most of the rest of us think it's entirely too idiotic to take in any way seriously. 

I agree entirely seriously think Youngblood's lyrics is idiotic and cheesy

what were Billie's smoking when he wrote piece of sh*t.

what is that line "are you broken, like I am broken" and "I am stranded, like you are stranded or whatever" means: why is he stranded from where or who? and why he is broken, when she is broken from what?

I disagree with someone here Youngblood is worst then any of song from Dos. Beside I think Dos is sexy good. You can fight me one this.:lol::fuckyou:

On May 18, 2017 at 6:42 PM, petros said:

Billie joe was like 19-20 and he wrote one of my lies. He wrote such serious meaningful lyrics in a young age. And now we get all these meaningless lines and yeah maybe you can try and justify some of them but even Billie has said he has written songs that are just sentences thrown together(Nuclear family). 

I seriously can't find a cringe line in everything up until American Idiot. Even in kerplunk and 1039 when he was basically a horny teenager getting friendzoned all the time. Maybe some here and there in 21st. Trilogy had a lot of them, plus all the unnecessary look-at-me-I'm-so-punk-and-rebellious swearing  and revrad is still full of lines like that. Especially the "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" song. Goddamn I seriously must have listened to that song 2 or 3 times I can't get myself to keep listening after it starts like that. It can be a legit good song but "my name is billie and i'm freaking out"? It makes me super cringe idk why.

At the end of the day even if you do enjoy the lyrics of revrad and the trilogy you have to admit they are subpar compared to what he was writting in kerplunk, insomniac, nimrod and warning. I think I took for granted billie lyrics being that good and I'm actually appreciating his lyricism in the older albums now more that I see everything being that bad.

On May 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Scattered Wreck said:

However, in my opinion, the entire song in general, that line included, reads like a dorky 12 year old trying to win over the head cheerleader by throwing out compliments.  I just don't see it as nice and poetic, but more desperate and immature.  He has written a ton of better odes to Adi where he talks about what he loves about her and her strengths instead of just throwing out what are meant as compliments.

I completely agree with you both. Pretty funny that Billie's lyrics nowadays sound like they should've been made when he was a teenager... yet the lyrics he made as a teen are actually mature and really good.

I don't agree with people that say "He went back to basics". Um, no. Going back to basics would mean we'd have killer lyrical quality similar to Chump, Walking Contradiction, Redundant pretty much anything before American Idiot. I mean, you can't get much more simple than 'Why Do You Want Him?', and the lyrics made complete sense. Even the more humorous and immature lyrics for The Grouch, Dominated Love Slave, All By Myself, King for A Day were well-written.  Like someone else said, there's a difference between being simple and just throwing shit together. One could make the argument that his style of writing has changed. If that's the case then so be it, but I still don't like them.

I think of Billie's current lyrics like abstract art. I look at it, and I'm like "what the fuck is this shit? How can people like this?" But there will always be people that find the beauty in it. Good for you if you think the lyrics in Rev Rad are some of his best. I, on the other hand, think it's a shame Billie's writing just isn't the same. :(

Even if I find Youngblood has the worse lyrics that BJ has ever written, I have to give points for the breakdown in "I wanna hold you like a gun..." part. Is indeed great :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 0:28 AM, Haushinka! said:

I completely agree with you both. Pretty funny that Billie's lyrics nowadays sound like they should've been made when he was a teenager... yet the lyrics he made as a teen are actually mature and really good.

I don't agree with people that say "He went back to basics". Um, no. Going back to basics would mean we'd have killer lyrical quality similar to Chump, Walking Contradiction, Redundant pretty much anything before American Idiot. I mean, you can't get much more simple than 'Why Do You Want Him?', and the lyrics made complete sense. Even the more humorous and immature lyrics for The Grouch, Dominated Love Slave, All By Myself, King for A Day were well-written.  Like someone else said, there's a difference between being simple and just throwing shit together. One could make the argument that his style of writing has changed. If that's the case then so be it, but I still don't like them.

I think of Billie's current lyrics like abstract art. I look at it, and I'm like "what the fuck is this shit? How can people like this?" But there will always be people that find the beauty in it. Good for you if you think the lyrics in Rev Rad are some of his best. I, on the other hand, think it's a shame Billie's writing just isn't the same. :(

10/10 post

while I've never hated "Forever Now" I wasn't a big fan of the song like I'd only listen to it if I was listening to the full album but the last few days I've been listening to it non stop 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I really like Youngblood. I don't understand the criticism for it. The lyrics aren't that bad. It's one of my favourite songs from RevRad. I just think, with so many heavy songs on the album, such as Still Breathing, Bang Bang and Troubled Times, it's nice to hear a light-hearted, upbeat, fun, bouncy song that doesn't need to be taken seriously and Youngblood fits that perfectly. I think it's a really cute song.

Coming across this very late but I said it basically in the unpopular opinions thread. Sometimes I feel like people want the lyrics to be super serious and stuff ALL THE TIME they totally dismiss really good music. Sad :/

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Coming across this very late but I said it basically in the unpopular opinions thread. Sometimes I feel like people want the lyrics to be super serious and stuff ALL THE TIME they totally dismiss really good music. Sad :/

Not just lyrics either, I'm always surprised by the amount of dislike for GD doing funny or risque stuff on stage that I see from GD fans. Everyone's taste is different of course and people are going to have their preferences for which aspects of the band they like most but I've always felt their silly/funny side is under appreciated, to me that sense of humour and bit of sauciness they have is integral to what makes them unique and good.

One reason for it could be the serious/kind of emo image they had for American Idiot when a lot of people got into them, I feel like that probably attracted a lot of fans super into the serious image/serious lyrics side of them who aren't necessarily as into their silly/funny side. If you happen to prefer the more serious side of the band that's fine but I do think it's a shame to always just equate serious lyrics with good and less serious lyrics with bad, I like that they do both.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Not just lyrics either, I'm always surprised by the amount of dislike for GD doing funny or risque stuff on stage that I see from GD fans. Everyone's taste is different of course and people are going to have their preferences for which aspects of the band they like most but I've always felt their silly/funny side is under appreciated, to me that sense of humour and bit of sauciness they have is integral to what makes them unique and good.

One reason for it could be the serious/kind of emo image they had for American Idiot when a lot of people got into them, I feel like that probably attracted a lot of fans super into the serious image/serious lyrics side of them who aren't necessarily as into their silly/funny side. If you happen to prefer the more serious side of the band that's fine but I do think it's a shame to always just equate serious lyrics with good and less serious lyrics with bad, I like that they do both.

Well, sometimes I'm like "oh please no, don't do that" when it comes to their silly side but I still enjoy it :P

They have serious material that's great, they have serious material that sucks and they have silly stuff that's good and they've done silly things that weren't all that great...but I can't help it and like most of it. They're not serious about themselves anyway and if there's one thing that I love about them, it's that. Not many performers can show their asses to their audience and be understood and it's not even weird (come to think of it Green Day set my standards of what is and isn't weird on a considerably high level :rolleyes:). They do lots of tongue-in-cheek things. 

I really like Green Day's silly side. I can't listen to artists that are too serious. Before I was a fan, I didn't know much about them and I just presumed that they were quite serious because they seemed very serious during AI era. However, when I watched a few videos of them, I saw their silly side and it completely changed my opinion of them - I fell in love with them because of it. :D

2 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I really like Green Day's silly side. I can't listen to artists that are too serious. Before I was a fan, I didn't know much about them and I just presumed that they were quite serious because they seemed very serious during AI era. However, when I watched a few videos of them, I saw their silly side and it completely changed my opinion of them - I fell in love with them because of it. :D

Feels great to enjoy both sides! whether it's Green Day's music or other artists stuff ,but for sake of this being a Green Day section I won't go there :D  :D 

On 6/10/2017 at 9:09 PM, Jane Lannister said:

Well, sometimes I'm like "oh please no, don't do that" when it comes to their silly side but I still enjoy it :P

They have serious material that's great, they have serious material that sucks and they have silly stuff that's good and they've done silly things that weren't all that great...but I can't help it and like most of it. They're not serious about themselves anyway and if there's one thing that I love about them, it's that. Not many performers can show their asses to their audience and be understood and it's not even weird (come to think of it Green Day set my standards of what is and isn't weird on a considerably high level :rolleyes:). They do lots of tongue-in-cheek things. 

Pretty sure the majority of boybands I watched as a kid flashed their bums during gigs to get the kids screaming. There wasn't anything too deep there to be "understood". Hell Robbie Williams (ex Take That) was still flashing his ass, fake masturbating etc when playing with that boyband a few years ago (2011/12). It's no big deal. Sex sells. Duh. 

4 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Pretty sure the majority of boybands I watched as a kid flashed their bums during gigs to get the kids screaming. There wasn't anything too deep there to be "understood". Hell Robbie Williams (ex Take That) was still flashing his ass, fake masturbating etc when playing with that boyband a few years ago (2011/12). It's no big deal. Sex sells. Duh. 

huh. judging from what I saw at that manchester benefit, I wouldn't want to see Robbie Williams naked. :lol:

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

huh. judging from what I saw at that manchester benefit, I wouldn't want to see Robbie Williams naked. :lol:

I wouldn't want to see Billie naked either. 

Just now, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I know right?! he's not giving us much choice. :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I know right?! he's not giving us much choice. :mellow:

45 year old Billie Joe and 43 year old Robbie have a lot in common. Not least of which is they know how to sell themselves to an audience. If you don't want to see them half naked or "masturbating" be damn sure that half the audience does. Robbie has fantastic songs, a fantastic voice and brilliant lyrics and a pretty amazing career but have no doubt he's embellished his sales using his sex appeal and "cheeky" antics. When going through shitty points in his career he relied much, much more heavily on the sex appeal than on the music (Rudebox for eg). Robbie is but one male example. Pop music haemorrhages "sex symbols" who also have music. It's hardly unique to flash some skin etc. It's on page 1 of How to Sell, Music Etiquette :lol:

3 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

45 year old Billie Joe and 43 year old Robbie have a lot in common. Not least of which is they know how to sell themselves to an audience. If you don't want to see them half naked or "masturbating" be damn sure that half the audience does. Robbie has fantastic songs, a fantastic voice and brilliant lyrics and a pretty amazing career but have no doubt he's embellished his sales using his sex appeal and "cheeky" antics. When going through shitty points in his career he relied much, much more heavily on the sex appeal than on the music (Rudebox for eg). Robbie is but one male example. Pop music haemorrhages "sex symbols" who also have music. It's hardly unique to flash some skin etc. It's on page 1 of How to Sell, Music Etiquette :lol:

Oh yeah that on it's own certainly isn't unique, just part of their unique mix. I agree sexual antics in music aren't unusual, but going full frontal is quite rare :P. I think Billie's just a born show off and as a frontman/showman that works to his advantage, there's always more to putting on a show and entertaining the crowd than just playing songs for sure.

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh yeah that on it's own certainly isn't unique, just part of their unique mix. I agree sexual antics in music aren't unusual, but going full frontal is quite rare :P. I think Billie's just a born show off and as a frontman/showman that works to his advantage, there's always more to putting on a show and entertaining the crowd than just playing songs for sure.

If an artist is sufficiently talented they shouldn't need to strip naked on stage in order to entertain the crowd. 

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

If an artist is sufficiently talented they shouldn't need to strip naked on stage in order to entertain the crowd. 

They don't need to but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. All performers could just stand still looking at their feet and play their music if they wanted but that wouldn't be very interesting, so most include various other entertaining elements alongside the music depending on their style. An occasional cheeky flash is part of Billie's style :P 

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They don't need to but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

I'm pretty sure there are laws that specify that they shouldn't (specifically in reference to the full frontal nudity you mentioned earlier). I wouldn't want my nieces seeing that thanks very much. 

2 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I'm pretty sure there are laws that specify that they shouldn't (specifically in reference to the full frontal nudity you mentioned earlier). I wouldn't want my nieces seeing that thanks very much. 

Well I thought we were talking artistically/performance quality-wise rather than legally or in terms of how suitable for children their show is which is another matter. It's just one example of many things they do other than play music that are part of their performance style.

15 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Been there, done that...my very first rock show of my life (Insomniac tour) he came out naked for the encore with a strategically placed Blue. Which didn't help me a ton since our seats were on the side! First and last time (thankfully) I've seen a musician get naked on stage. I am, however, writing about it about 22 years later so clearly it was a memorable stunt! 

And I was a 15 year old kid at the time and I don't think I've been permanently scarred or messed up by it or anything. Sure, it had shock value at the time, but all in all it was just innocent fun. Now if Blue had been a few inches higher or lower...well, he might have been looking at a long night in jail. But I don't think he caught any flack for it at the show I went to.

9 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Been there, done that...my very first rock show of my life (Insomniac tour) he came out naked for the encore with a strategically placed Blue. Which didn't help me a ton since our seats were on the side! First and last time (thankfully) I've seen a musician get naked on stage. I am, however, writing about it about 22 years later so clearly it was a memorable stunt! 

And I was a 15 year old kid at the time and I don't think I've been permanently scarred or messed up by it or anything. Sure, it had shock value at the time, but all in all it was just innocent fun. Now if Blue had been a few inches higher or lower...well, he might have been looking at a long night in jail. But I don't think he caught any flack for it at the show I went to.

Why would a fifteen year old guy be permanently scarred or messed up by seeing another guy naked anyway? :lol: 

9 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

18 hours ago, Hermione said:

Well I thought we were talking artistically/performance quality-wise rather than legally or in terms of how suitable for children their show is which is another matter. 

I fail to see any artistic merit in cheap stunts like flashing the audience or full frontal nudity. Like I said the crappest pop stars have relied solely on sex appeal to sell while others like Robbie used it to boost sales especially when doing badly. I'm not offended by it but it cheapens the music which (certainly in the past) didn't need Billie to essentially pimp himself to the fans to sell. Of course it all helps. Even take a look back at their earliest gigs and half the audience were girls who very possibly were mostly there because Billie. 

28 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Why would a fifteen year old guy be permanently scarred or messed up by seeing another guy naked anyway? :lol: 

I fail to see any artistic merit in cheap stunts like flashing the audience or full frontal nudity. Like I said the crappest pop stars have relied solely on sex appeal to sell while others like Robbie used it to boost sales especially when doing badly. I'm not offended by it but it cheapens the music which (certainly in the past) didn't need Billie to essentially pimp himself to the fans to sell. Of course it all helps. Even take a look back at their earliest gigs and half the audience were girls who very possibly were mostly there because Billie. 

Ehh, I think they've proved they're top class music/performance wise. The odd bit of nudity is just an added extra that doesn't make a lot of difference to the overall performance and is just part of Billie's style, not really something they rely on when we know they put on amazing shows with or without it. It's Billie's attractiveness and charisma in general that's always been a big extra attraction with or without skin being flashed, that's just him though and I don't think it's ever cheapened the music especially when it's always done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Archived