Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

30 minutes ago, Jarred.cook7655 said:

He says "looking for a buzz, but all I got was Santa Clause"

And he explained the feeling like a cello as a cello being a very sad, but beautiful instrument. That probably just stuck with him and he decided to put it into his song.

I feel like "I shop online, so I can vote at the speed of life" is about advertising tactics. I could be wrong, but that's just what its made me think about.

Seriously?  Is it seriously "looking for a buzz"?!?!

I know what he SAID feeling like a cello was supposed to mean...the rambling explanation about it sounding like a sad instrument. However it doesn't really explain why it's "lost somewhere over a rainbow way up high". It's just such a clunker. Like if he's trying to say he feels sad and lost then why is he also way up high and somewhere over a rainbow? He's literally just chucked in two lines from Over The Rainbow 

"Over The Rainbow"

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

It's just one line of many, many terrible lyrics on the album. 

I'm sorry but I don't see how the advertising tactics angle makes sense. You simply don't see adverts that encourage you to shop online so that you can vote. Everyone over a certain age who is a citizen can vote. You don't have to shop online. It's a ridiculous lyric and it also doesn't relate to the sentences before it or directly after it which are my biggest problem. Just silliness to fill space. And as for the speed of life part, I figured he thought he was being really smart thinking life goes so fast but realistically most people live what 70-80 years. That's some very slow voting.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's "Looking for a cause" look at any cd booklet.

14 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

He's literally just chucked in two lines from Over The Rainbow 

"Over The Rainbow"

It's just one line of many, many terrible lyrics on the album.  bla bla I use Enter too much. 

The cello thing is a reference to Somewhere Over the Rainbow, you don't need to quote an entire verse to do a fucking reference.

1 hour ago, Stefano Bras said:

I JUST FOUND OUT THEY PLAYED TOO DUMB TO DIE, WHAT THE ACUTAL FUCKZ

:toocool:

58 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

It's "Looking for a cause" look at any cd booklet.

The cello thing is a reference to Somewhere Over the Rainbow, you don't need to quote an entire verse to do a fucking reference.

It's looking for a buzz, then the second and third time is cause. just listen to his voice. Also, I just looked in the revrad CD book

Ugh this thread. I get these lyrics. I'm not one to debate here, but the Santa Clause reference to me means the same as "not every Sunday can be Easter". His dad was saying not every day is Christmas. Nor is every Sunday Easter. Just my two cents. 

My daddy always was on strike
Going off with the teamsters
He said that everything will be alright
Not every Sunday can be Easter
The picket line screamed
"Woah-uh-oh-oh-oh (woah-uh-oh)
Don't cross, don't cross the line
Because you'll be a scab, not a martyr"

If you don't live in USA and not familiar with Union teamsters, I can see why these lyrics are confusing. 

6 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

the rest of the modern "rock" music

confused-black-girl-df-where-is-it.jpg

2 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

confused-black-girl-df-where-is-it.jpg

What are you chatting :lol:? The old guard of RHCP, FF, weezer etc have all consistently releasing music thats been stronger than RevRad and been more exspansive rather than the same old same old of Green Day. That's before you even get into newer bands such as Royal Blood and Slaves who are writing and releasing great music with a bit of originality. These are just artists off the top of my head but there's also bands I don't listen to such as Catfish and The Bottlemen which whilst I hate to admit it because their fans are arseholes, are writing good music that hits the charts.

The problem I and others have with RevRad is the fact they've been complacent with it, tried nothing new. Take a band like The Clash for example - they experimented with new genres and sounds throughout their music whilst still keeping their core ideas and "sound" - why can't Green Day do that? Or at least try and move away from the same old chords, with the same old lyrics, which somehow are getting progressively worse?

6 hours ago, petros said:

Yeah but how many people has he moved with lyrics until 04 and how many after that? You can't deny that. Nobody can deny that. So even if you prefer 99 revolutions to minority I'm feeling like my view of green day lyrics is "more correct" than yours cause in the end if more people are touched by some lyrics than others then they must be better. Still of course better is a mater of opinion but if there is a subjectively right opinion it is that his lyrics have gone worse and worse since the trilogy and that's undeniable. 

But of course sure anybody can enjoy and prefer whatever he wants. I'm just saying that 8/10 people would prefer the lyrics of let's say Redundant to those of Youngblood. 

I don't really care how many people are moved by them :P. Music is an art and appreciating it isn't an objective thing so it doesn't matter which reaction or opinion is more common and there isn't a "correct" one, only lots of individual ones. I find Billie's lyrics as good right now as ever so I do deny it, while not expecting everyone to share my view.

6 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

A few pages ago I took four or five lines from different GD songs off different GD albums and literally threw them together to demonstrate how individual lines/sentences can make sense but a paragraph can be meaningless and I had a few people on here tell me they found meaning in what I'd thrown together.

Yeah because they're still not just random words, they're fully formed lines that could easily make some kind of sense together or have some kind of relation to each other even if they were arranged randomly. That doesn't happen with every random combination but there's really a lot of ways different lyrics can relate to each other depending on your point of view, I think in turn they were trying to demonstrate that. I get that you think those lines in Somewhere Now make no sense together but I disagree. I didn't know there was a rule that lots of different ideas can't be mentioned in a verse. I think the point is people don't like that verse because they're in denial about something - they just have a different opinion of it to you.

5 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Seriously?  Is it seriously "looking for a buzz"?!?!

I know what he SAID feeling like a cello was supposed to mean...the rambling explanation about it sounding like a sad instrument. However it doesn't really explain why it's "lost somewhere over a rainbow way up high". It's just such a clunker. Like if he's trying to say he feels sad and lost then why is he also way up high and somewhere over a rainbow? He's literally just chucked in two lines from Over The Rainbow 

"Over The Rainbow"

It's just one line of many, many terrible lyrics on the album. 

I'm sorry but I don't see how the advertising tactics angle makes sense. You simply don't see adverts that encourage you to shop online so that you can vote. Everyone over a certain age who is a citizen can vote. You don't have to shop online. It's a ridiculous lyric and it also doesn't relate to the sentences before it or directly after it which are my biggest problem. Just silliness to fill space. And as for the speed of life part, I figured he thought he was being really smart thinking life goes so fast but realistically most people live what 70-80 years. That's some very slow voting.

Lyrics don't have to be literal

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I recall you saying this before:whistle

54 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

I recall you saying this before:whistle

Lol I might have mentioned it

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't really care how many people are moved by them :P. Music is an art and appreciating it isn't an objective thing so it doesn't matter which reaction or opinion is more common and there isn't a "correct" one, only lots of individual ones. I find Billie's lyrics as good right now as ever so I do deny it, while not expecting everyone to share my view.

Yeah because they're still not just random words, they're fully formed lines that could easily make some kind of sense together or have some kind of relation to each other even if they were arranged randomly. That doesn't happen with every random combination but there's really a lot of ways different lyrics can relate to each other depending on your point of view, I think in turn they were trying to demonstrate that. I get that you think those lines in Somewhere Now make no sense together but I disagree. I didn't know there was a rule that lots of different ideas can't be mentioned in a verse. I think the point is people don't like that verse because they're in denial about something - they just have a different opinion of it to you.

I'm not taking them literally because that would literally be impossible. The only way to make sense out of them is to listen to lines like 

I shop online so I can vote at the speed of life

And just decide he means he's worried about Trump winning the election so it's feeding into all the things he'd rather not think about. It all makes sense because he said the future ain't what it used to be. I mean anyone can try to force meaning into sentences or turn everything into metaphors if we really want to. Hell you don't have to try hard to make Outlaws sound like he had a torrid romance with the Dirnt if you want :lol:

6 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I'm not taking them literally because that would literally be impossible. The only way to make sense out of them is to listen to lines like 

I shop online so I can vote at the speed of life

And just decide he means he's worried about Trump winning the election so it's feeding into all the things he'd rather not think about. It all makes sense because he said the future ain't what it used to be. I mean anyone can try to force meaning into sentences or turn everything into metaphors if we really want to. Hell you don't have to try hard to make Outlaws sound like he had a torrid romance with the Dirnt if you want :lol:

I think we have to agree to disagree on those lines then. And hey Outlaws is a sweet little bromance :lol: 

7 hours ago, Jarred.cook7655 said:

It's looking for a buzz, then the second and third time is cause. just listen to his voice. Also, I just looked in the revrad CD book

It definitely sounds like "cause" the first time. I didn't hear "buzz" at all

8 hours ago, Jarred.cook7655 said:

You're right, it does sasys "buzz" in the booklet but the booklet has many errors, probably the wanted to put "buzz" at first but then changed their mind, it definitely says "cause" the first time.

17 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

You're right, it does sasys "buzz" in the booklet but the booklet has many errors, probably the wanted to put "buzz" at first but then changed their mind, it definitely says "cause" the first time.

Yeah let's not forget the booklet also says "bouncing off the wall" :lol:. He very clearly sings "cause".

I think we have to agree to disagree on those lines then. And hey Outlaws is a sweet little bromance :lol: 

Or a wicked little romance :P 

44 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Or a wicked little romance :P 

Finally something we can agree on :P 

Finally something we can agree on :P 

:P:D

8 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

What are you chatting :lol:? The old guard of RHCP, FF, weezer etc have all consistently releasing music thats been stronger than RevRad and been more exspansive rather than the same old same old of Green Day. That's before you even get into newer bands such as Royal Blood and Slaves who are writing and releasing great music with a bit of originality. These are just artists off the top of my head but there's also bands I don't listen to such as Catfish and The Bottlemen which whilst I hate to admit it because their fans are arseholes, are writing good music that hits the charts.

The problem I and others have with RevRad is the fact they've been complacent with it, tried nothing new. Take a band like The Clash for example - they experimented with new genres and sounds throughout their music whilst still keeping their core ideas and "sound" - why can't Green Day do that? Or at least try and move away from the same old chords, with the same old lyrics, which somehow are getting progressively worse?

Saying that RHCP and FF have been making better music recently than REVRAD is just so funny to me! :lol: A overrated band such as FF and RHCP that hasn't make a good full album in a while. I also do not think the forum could handle if Green Day experimented with another genre. I think those hating on their recent output ,which is exactly what the fan base was bitching about what the trilogy wasn't, is just silly. Now you guys get it and it's like " Well they could of..." like holy fuck it just seems the hate for it is uncalled for.

They're late into their career, they don't need to experiment. I know it's a little weird and all, but they might be writing the music they want to write! Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Saying that RHCP and FF have been making better music recently than REVRAD is just so funny to me! :lol: A overrated band such as FF and RHCP that hasn't make a good full album in a while. I also do not think the forum could handle if Green Day experimented with another genre. I think those hating on their recent output ,which is exactly what the fan base was bitching about what the trilogy wasn't, is just silly. Now you guys get it and it's like " Well they could of..." like holy fuck it just seems the hate for it is uncalled for.

Green Day haven't released an album without filler in over a decade, FF did it with Wasting Light.

51 minutes ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

They're late into their career, they don't need to experiment. I know it's a little weird and all, but they might be writing the music they want to write! Just a thought. 

🤔 surely that's when they have the time to experiment? Again you look at The Clash they mixed things up throughout their career, as did bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

7 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Green Day haven't released an album without filler in over a decade, FF did it with Wasting Light.

Source?

15 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

🤔 surely that's when they have the time to experiment? Again you look at The Clash they mixed things up throughout their career, as did bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

🤔 But surely maybe they just don't want to experiment? I don't really see what's so wrong with that. 

My point was that since they've experimented a few times before, they just don't feel like doing it anymore. They're doing what they want to do. I don't think they really feel like doing a bunch of experimentation like they did on albums like Nimrod or Warning anymore. 

As for your point about RHCP and Foo Fighters and as a huge fan of both fans (I could seriously kill for a new Foo Fighters album right about now)... Sure, Sonic Highways and the Getaway were experimental. But were they really that good? If you love both those albums or something, that's fine. I like both albums, but I'm going to be honest and say they weren't exactly stellar and had plenty of songs I could live without. And Weezer's new music is amazing IMO, but honestly it's more going back to basics. I mean, could you imagine if they kept experimenting and every album ended up like Raditude or something? Not pretty, my friend. What I'm trying to say is that Green Day especially does not need to experiment anymore. 

4 minutes ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

🤔 But surely maybe they just don't want to experiment? I don't really see what's so wrong with that. 

My point was that since they've experimented a few times before, they just don't feel like doing it anymore. They're doing what they want to do. I don't think they really feel like doing a bunch of experimentation like they did on albums like Nimrod or Warning anymore. 

As for your point about RHCP and Foo Fighters and as a huge fan of both fans (I could seriously kill for a new Foo Fighters album right about now)... Sure, Sonic Highways and the Getaway were experimental. But were they really that good? If you love both those albums or something, that's fine. I like both albums, but I'm going to be honest and say they weren't exactly stellar and had plenty of songs I could live without. And Weezer's new music is amazing IMO, but honestly it's more going back to basics. I mean, could you imagine if they kept experimenting and every album ended up like Raditude or something? Not pretty, my friend. What I'm trying to say is that Green Day especially does not need to experiment anymore. 

So you want green day to just keep making the same album over and over again? There are soooo many bands that switch up their sound deep into their career and end up being even more successful. if they just keep making revrad over and over, you don't think that is going to get sickening. Switching up there sound would be a breath of fresh air but if they keep going down the path they are right now, the music is going to just keep getting staler and staler. And experimenting isn't just making terrible pop music like ratitude was. 

Archived