I got a seat in the middle of the road
I'm gonna take my time
I shop online so I can vote
At the speed of life
I'm like a drone way up in the sky
I'm a shooting star
There's a soldier that's freaking out
P.S. This is war

Bloody hell. What?!?! Why would someone shop online in order to vote? And what's he taking his time sitting in the middle of the road for since he needs to get that online shopping done so he can vote at speed...the speed of life no less. Also the whole being in the sky like a drone thing and being a shooting star...is he just telling us he's really fucking high (high as in up in the sky :lol:) and that explains the lyrics? Now where does the soldier come from?  And what exactly is war? Oh yeah... Buzzwords.  The woeful lyrics just keep flowing throughout the album. Unreal. 

"I got a seat in the middle of the road" is a great lyric and that whole verse does makes sense, especially if you had payed attention to some interviews, it's the opposite of Forever Now, it's about not knowing what to do with yourself and wanting to take the time to figure it out (According to Billie Joe that's how he felt when he was "forced" to just live in Oakland with his family, take the trash out, watch TV, etc...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lyrics can be all over the place, make no sense, etc. but the "people have different tastes" excuse is pretty much denial. If GD released a song with random noise, people on here would say it's underrated, just for fun, misunderstood, etc.

RevRad doesn't seem like an album that took substantial time to make. The weird part is none of the 90s albums did either, but look how well they stood the test of time. I don't know why BJ's lyrics have become too introspective to the point that the meaning becomes distorted, or nonsensical. 

Also, a songwriter/musician typically gets better with age, yet GD's output seems to be regressing. However, I think Tre and Mike have substantially improved over the years. 

Usually I respect other people's opinion, but god damn some of you are so closed minded.

16 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

"I got a seat in the middle of the road" is a great lyric and that whole verse does makes sense, especially if you had payed attention to some interviews, it's the opposite of Forever Now, it's about not knowing what to do with yourself and wanting to take the time to figure it out (According to Billie Joe that's how he felt when he was "forced" to just live in Oakland with his family, take the trash out, watch TV, etc...

"it's about not knowing what to do with yourself and wanting to take the time to figure it out"

What is about that though? This line?

I got a seat in the middle of the road
I'm gonna take my time

What about this one then?

I shop online so I can vote
At the speed of life

Why would someone shop online in order to vote and what has that got to do with not knowing what to do with yourself and wanting to take your time to figure it out especially since he seems in a hurry to vote...at the speed of life no less. 

And I guess this line is also about not knowing what to do with yourself and wanting to take your time to figure it out? 

I'm like a drone way up in the sky
I'm a shooting star

And then obviously this part is also about Billie not knowing what to do with himself and all that stuff like he explained about having to bring out the trash when he was at home, right?  I mean it's not just some random line about nothing is it?

There's a soldier that's freaking out
P.S. This is war

You see its what I've been saying about revrad the entire time. Each sentence makes sense as standalone sentences but not together as coherent paragraphs or as a coherent message or song. 

2 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

bla bla bla.

Dude, you're overanalyzing the entire thing, it's not meant to be literal, do you think that (for example) when he's singing in She: "To smash the silence with the brick of self-control" He's literally talking about a girl with a brick in her hand, fucking punching a sign that says "silence"? for fuck's sake, do you know what a metaphor is?

Btw, the drone thing is meant to be about wishes (shooting stars) and how technology it's overwhelming; also the soldier lyrics ties the album together (Still Breathing, Forever Now), it's about the chaos and confusion of the world we live in.

P.S. Can you try to not push "Enter" after you finish every sentence? thnks xoxo

Yeah, the second verse of Somewhere Now makes no sense. It's just a bunch of phrases strung together. Definitely doesn't prevent me from enjoying the song though, it's one of my favorites :)

5 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause
But all I got was Santa Claus

What happens when you ask Mike's kid Ryan what rhymes with cause. 

I feel like a cello
Lost somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high, too scared to dream
But too dumb to die

I can definitely see the similarities between

"I'm the son of rage and love"

and

"I feel like a cello"

I can see teenagers pumping their fists in the air yelling that one out at the top of their lungs. Finally they've found an anthem that represents how they feel.

"Lost somewhere over the rainbow. Way up high."

And by the time they get to Forever Now they can also feel,

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

Okay, the problem is you get hung up on one or two odd phrases in a song, and just ignore the meaning of it overall.

18 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

Yeah, the second verse of Somewhere Now makes no sense. It's just a bunch of phrases strung together. Definitely doesn't prevent me from enjoying the song though, it's one of my favorites :)

The problem with that verse is that its style is completely different from the rest of that song. While most of SN is pretty straightforward, the second verse is symbolic. If you look at the individual lines, they are like images, and put together, they don't make up a paragraph of text, but they are like a collage. I wouldn't mind it if the whole song was written that way but it weirdly stands out in SN. 

Anybody can make lyrics look stupid when out of context. Jesus of suburbia seen by many as Green Days greatest song.

"I don't care if you don't 

i don't care if you don't 

i don't care if you don't care

I don't care if you don't 

i don't care"

See it's complete nonsense. He keeps saying the same stupid thing over and over again.

1 hour ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

the "people have different tastes" excuse is pretty much denial. 

asgkf wjdfijwhwjbjibiiuhb??!?!?!?!?!   What the literal fuck?

I am going to spell this out as calmly as possible. Music is pretty much ENTIRELY based on personal taste. Music is a deeply personal thing. You can't rely on other opinions, reviews, etc. You pick up a piece of music and listen to it, and either it works for you - and that's great, or it doesn't. Problem is the people who it doesn't work for always seem to think they are the enlightened few who are able to see how bad it is. 

14 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Anybody can make lyrics look stupid when out of context. Jesus of suburbia seen by many as Green Days greatest song.

i don't care"

See it's complete nonsense. He keeps saying the same stupid thing over and over again.

Before I read the whole post, I thought the "I don't cares" were a part of this argument :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I am going to spell this out as calmly as possible. Music is pretty much ENTIRELY based on personal taste. Music is a deeply personal thing. You can't rely on other opinions, reviews, etc. You pick up a piece of music and listen to it, and either it works for you - and that's great, or it doesn't. Problem is the people who it doesn't work for always seem to think they are the enlightened few who are able to see how bad it is. 

Can I like this more than once? Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love :lol:

Just now, herewegoagain said:

Can I like this more than once? Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate :lol:

7 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't get it but I'mma defend your right to say it :ga:

6 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause
But all I got was Santa Claus

What happens when you ask Mike's kid Ryan what rhymes with cause. 

I feel like a cello
Lost somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high, too scared to dream
But too dumb to die

I can definitely see the similarities between

"I'm the son of rage and love"

and

"I feel like a cello"

I can see teenagers pumping their fists in the air yelling that one out at the top of their lungs. Finally they've found an anthem that represents how they feel.

And by the time they get to Forever Now they can also feel,

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

Looking for a cause but all I got was Santa Claus is a straightforward line. It means he was searching for something real/meaningful but could only find fake/superficial things, and in keeping with the song it's expressed in a fun way. Like I said I know for some people anything silly/whimsical/lighthearted etc in a Green Day song automatically equals bad or inferior to deadly serious lyrics but it doesn't for me. It's a song that reminisces about being young and dumb so fittingly it includes some fun and whimsical references/imagery, along with more direct lyrics about the more serious stuff that was going on at the same time. It's just an honest, fun nostalgic song to me. Obviously you don't like it and I do and that's where we differ, but whether it's good or not is a matter of taste not fact.

54 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

i don't care"

personally,..I don't care about this song: JOS but I really like what Billie's is trying to write here..

even though he sound very angst and it keep repeating same line..but it does make sense.

it is like he is saying: if you don't care about yourself then why would I? but it is not true.He does care!

The true is you have to read between the line from some of Billie's Lyrics.

1 hour ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Okay, the problem is you get hung up on one or two odd phrases in a song, and just ignore the meaning of it overall.

I would argue that the people who think the lyrics actually make sense ignore the overall meaning of the song and try to find meaning in each individual line. After all my whole issue with these songs is exactly that the individual sentences that DO make sense don't form comprehensive paragraphs together. If Billie Joe didn't suggest what the song is supposed to be about then in most cases it could be just about anything.

1 hour ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I love you.

Spoiler

I hope I didn't make it weird.

"I feel like a cello"

My thought is that this is related to Somewhere Over the Rainbow played on the cello.  It is beautiful and also haunting and wistful.

26 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I would argue that the people who think the lyrics actually make sense ignore the overall meaning of the song and try to find meaning in each individual line. After all my whole issue with these songs is exactly that the individual sentences that DO make sense don't form comprehensive paragraphs together. If Billie Joe didn't suggest what the song is supposed to be about then in most cases it could be just about anything.

I would argue that the lyrics mean different things to different people, including Billie Joe himself. Maybe lyrics that you think don't make sense or don't make sense together do make sense to other people and maybe the lyrics that some people thinks mean one thing means something else to Billie Joe. As well as that, maybe the lyrics you think mean nothing actually mean something to Billie Joe or to other people. As people have already said, music is based on personal taste and opinions

Billie Joe wasn't trying to make some lyrical masterpiece with RR. This isn't AI or even 21CB. And instead of pointing out lyrics that mean "nothing" to you, how about pointing out lyrics that actually DO mean something in the album. To me, there are many examples of those lyrics and whether you agree or not doesn't matter to me cause as I said it's different for everyone. Honestly I'm surprised you were expecting masterful lyrics after the trilogy. Lyrics aren't the only thing that makes a good song

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Before I read the whole post, I thought the "I don't cares" were a part of this argument :lol:

:lol:

On 17/05/2017 at 2:22 AM, Jesus of Seneca said:

Honestly I don't think this was another attempt at an American Idiot follow-up (or a follow-up to anything else), it was a simple project - which a lot of people seem to have forgotten. It wasn't supposed to be big or glorious or whatever. It just is what it is. Whether it fits your taste or not is another story altogether - personally I really liked it, it was so much more to my liking that nearly anything that I hear on the radio, on tv, being played by other people, etc. I thoroughly enjoy every song on the album except for Somewhere Now, which I always skip, and RevRad, which I like but am not that big of a fan of. So yeah, to me it's a Kerplunk for the 21st century: simple songs, fun stupid lyrics, short album length, no massive over-arching theme, etc. The only thing I would change about it  is the In-Out factor of the volume on some of the songs.          (Actually, I just listened to it in full for the first time in a while today, and I forgot how good it is):D

It's clearly in the same vein though, same formula throughout. It's an ok Green Day album but it's a bang average album compared to the rest of the modern "rock" music

55 minutes ago, Caroline Truong said:

personally,..I don't care about this song: JOS but I really like what Billie's is trying to write here..

even though he sound very angst and it keep repeating same line..but it does make sense.

it is like he is saying: if you don't care about yourself then why would I? but it is not true.He does care!

The true is you have to read between the line from some of Billie's Lyrics.

Well yes that is the point. Lots of lyrics are metaphors, have hidden meaning and make more sense in the context of a full song or album. People see this in some lyrics but refuse to or can't see it in other lyrics. Why say one simple lyric is great because it has hidden meaning and then criticise another simple lyric at its face value when it also has hidden or double meaning?

Archived