Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

You know what, guys? I changed my mind. RevRad Is a great album. I've just listened to the new linkin park album and I'm glad that green day are doing what they doing.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people could have an opinion without getting attacked

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

Then the whole forum would become one giant unpopular opinions thread.:wub: The boards are pretty welcoming these days - I can freely say I love DOS & I love nightlife but then I do give a fuck:ga:

If you say anything against GD, you'll be attacked. Personally, I didn't like the trilogy, RevRad, Ordinary World (movie), and Foxboro Hottubs. Up until 21st, BJ had sensible lyrics; I'd say up until Warning, he wrote songs that everyone could relate to. After that, the lyrics became more ambiguous/abstract - to the point, that they've become nonsense at times. 

With RevRad, it looks like GD is trying to win back some of the fans they lost with the trilogy. However, when you don't have much substance, how do you expect this to happen? AI was so good because it was a solid album. 21st, imo, was not great either, but the band tried - they put in solid effort and BJ's lyrics were probably at his peak. Idk what happened after that, but the current GD's output is meh. 

The same guy who wrote To Dumb to Die and Troublemaker wrote Jesus of Suburbia :mellow:

Wow, isn't it nice that we're all different!

I enjoy the storytelling of JOS and I enjoy interpreting and finding meaning in songs like TDTD, Forever Now, etc cetera. I think it's totally understandable to find the lyrics of RevRad nonsensical compared to the early albums, and see it as a pile of garbage for that matter, but it's possible to like both for what they are. Or not.

55 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

If you say anything against GD, you'll be attacked. Personally, I didn't like the trilogy, RevRad, Ordinary World (movie), and Foxboro Hottubs. Up until 21st, BJ had sensible lyrics; I'd say up until Warning, he wrote songs that everyone could relate to. After that, the lyrics became more ambiguous/abstract - to the point, that they've become nonsense at times. 

With RevRad, it looks like GD is trying to win back some of the fans they lost with the trilogy. However, when you don't have much substance, how do you expect this to happen? AI was so good because it was a solid album. 21st, imo, was not great either, but the band tried - they put in solid effort and BJ's lyrics were probably at his peak. Idk what happened after that, but the current GD's output is meh. 

The same guy who wrote To Dumb to Die and Troublemaker wrote Jesus of Suburbia :mellow:

How is Too Dumb to Die an example of a bad song or bad lyrics? Nostalgic song with really honest lyrics about growing up. Of course it's more straightforward and not told in a dramatic way through characters but the theme is very similar to JOS :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

How is Too Dumb to Die an example of a bad song or bad lyrics? Nostalgic song with really honest lyrics about growing up. Of course it's more straightforward and not told in a dramatic way through characters but the theme is very similar to JOS :lol: 

Looking for a cause
But all I got was Santa Claus

What happens when you ask Mike's kid Ryan what rhymes with cause. 

I feel like a cello
Lost somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high, too scared to dream
But too dumb to die

I can definitely see the similarities between

"I'm the son of rage and love"

and

"I feel like a cello"

I can see teenagers pumping their fists in the air yelling that one out at the top of their lungs. Finally they've found an anthem that represents how they feel.

"Lost somewhere over the rainbow. Way up high."

And by the time they get to Forever Now they can also feel,

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

5 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause

I feel like a cello
But too dumb to die

and

"I feel like a cello"

I can see teenagers pumping their fists in the air yelling that one out at the top of their lungs. Finally they've found an anthem that represents how they feel.

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

*Tangle (Not tango)

You do realise that people like different things, right?

I didn't realize that 45 year old rockers were writing albums to appeal to strictly to teenagers.  

17 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I didn't realize that 45 year old rockers were writing albums to appeal to strictly to teenagers.  

My thought exactly. He's done that once, maybe he wanted to try a different angle this time. 

Also I'm not a teenager (edit: or 45) but my fists have definitely been pumped along to TDTD. 

59 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Wow, isn't it nice that we're all different!

I enjoy the storytelling of JOS and I enjoy interpreting and finding meaning in songs like TDTD, Forever Now, etc cetera. I think it's totally understandable to find the lyrics of RevRad nonsensical compared to the early albums, and see it as a pile of garbage for that matter, but it's possible to like both for what they are. Or not.

Pile of garbage? lmao the hate on this forum is just fucking funny! :lol:

5 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

44 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

You do realise that people like different things, right?

I guess this doesn't apply to you when you told Steven Seagull to die  :lol:

1 minute ago, Jake69 said:

it never applies to Mystic at all :lol:

I just think it's funny when people don't seem to understand that a lot of artists write clunkers and really good songs as well. Artists grow and decline. It happens to almost all of them. Seems like some people just don't pay enough attention to anyone but green day. Rev Rad is fine. It's a mixed bag at times and the trilogy was just flawed based on the concept of it and the different sounds of the guitars and drums people weren't used to. If it's enjoyable music for at least a little while to some, it's better than a lot of other artist's music which was never that great or declined severely, it is what it is. Shouldn't be worth arguing over. You can't make people have your opinion most of the time

17 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

1. That was forever ago. I don't know why you're bringing it up now

2. I admitted that I was wrong for saying that. I actually felt bad after I said it so I'd appreciate if you didn't talk about that

3. Steven Seagull is what you'd call a troll, someone looking for responses from people. Getting attacked merely for stating your opinion is different

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause

I feel like a cello
But too dumb to die

and

"I feel like a cello"

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

Lmao this makes me feel like a cello lost somewhere over the rainbow!

Are you way up high? :ga:

Billie has had alcohol problems since forever and RevRad is the first album where Billie is sober. That was bound to change the way he approached song writing. The band is also just about closer than ever and they wanted to see what would happen if they went back to the way it was before Dookie. Basically just three guys writing and recording songs and enjoying the process.

I am the same age as the band and just about every song on RevRad speaks to me. It's written from the view of a 40+ year old looking back and looking forward. They aren't teenager or even young adults any longer and don't have the same angst and worries. Now it's different worries and anxieties and realizing that you will never be that carefree again.

There will never be another Dookie or AI or 21CBD. They aren't the same people that wrote and recorded those albums. Hell they aren't same from album to album since life keeps changing us. Each album is a separate piece of work and should be judged that way.

36 minutes ago, Running with shears said:

Billie has had alcohol problems since forever and RevRad is the first album where Billie is sober. That was bound to change the way he approached song writing. The band is also just about closer than ever and they wanted to see what would happen if they went back to the way it was before Dookie. Basically just three guys writing and recording songs and enjoying the process.

I am the same age as the band and just about every song on RevRad speaks to me. It's written from the view of a 40+ year old looking back and looking forward. They aren't teenager or even young adults any longer and don't have the same angst and worries. Now it's different worries and anxieties and realizing that you will never be that carefree again.

There will never be another Dookie or AI or 21CBD. They aren't the same people that wrote and recorded those albums. Hell they aren't same from album to album since life keeps changing us. Each album is a separate piece of work and should be judged that way.

Beautifully put.

45 minutes ago, Running with shears said:

Well said, but I actually don't see revrad as a big step forward/surprise. It's classic Green Day. It's not much of an experiment neither musically nor lyrically. 

2 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I would have to assume that was exactly their intention with this album, to appeal to teenagers who love buzzwords about revolution and rebellion yet aren't bothered to listen to an entire song or pay attention to the lyrics and realise that the sentences don't connect with one another and so the songs are completely meaningless.

4 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I would have to assume that was exactly their intention with this album, to appeal to teenagers who love buzzwords about revolution and rebellion yet aren't bothered to listen to an entire song or pay attention to the lyrics and realise that the sentences don't connect with one another and so the songs are completely meaningless.

So...you assume he writes bad lyrics on purpose? 

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

So...you assume he writes bad lyrics on purpose? 

Did I say that? At least you admit that the lyrics are bad.

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

It's only three people though lol. Rev Rad has some of my favourite Green Day lyrics on it. And I know some Green Day fans find any kind of silly, humourous or tongue in cheek lyrics cringeworthy and love to quote them out of context to "prove it" but not all of us do.

Totally agree. Personally, I think songs like Somewhere Now and Forever Now contain some of the best lyrics BJ has written. 

7 minutes ago, amberwhite said:

Beautifully put.

Thank you. :wub:

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Uh oh, you should never assume. 

Archived