Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

There have been plenty of talented people that have performed or appeared naked.  It ranges from musicians, artists, actors, etc.  John Lennon did a naked album cover.  There are not too many people that would call him untalented.  It is a form of expression, just like any other.  You can enjoy it or not, but I find nothing cheap about it.  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

There have been plenty of talented people that have performed or appeared naked.  It ranges from musicians, artists, actors, etc.  John Lennon did a naked album cover.  There are not too many people that would call him untalented.  It is a form of expression, just like any other.  You can enjoy it or not, but I find nothing cheap about it.  

That was an album cover as opposed to repetitive flashing which is designed to get the audience excited. That's the oldest boyband trick in the book. That's why I'm calling it cheap. There aren't too many "serious" artists who flash their asses on a nightly basis to elicit screams from the audience. 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Ehh, I think they've proved they're top class music/performance wise. The odd bit of nudity is just an added extra that doesn't make a lot of difference to the overall performance and is just part of Billie's style, not really something they rely on when we know they put on amazing shows with or without it. It's Billie's attractiveness and charisma in general that's always been a big extra attraction with or without skin being flashed, that's just him though and I don't think it's ever cheapened the music especially when it's always done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Actually I'll note he's pretty much stopped doing this (unless I've missed something) since rehab so therefore it looks more like he's mostly done it under the influence. A wonderful example that's regularly reposted by happy-go-lucky fans is iheart radio. Also a few weeks beforehand in Paris when he ran onstage in his underwear and mooned the crowd. 

3 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

That was an album cover as opposed to repetitive flashing which is designed to get the audience excited. That's the oldest boyband trick in the book. That's why I'm calling it cheap. There aren't too many "serious" artists who flash their asses on a nightly basis to elicit screams from the audience. 

And why aren't boy bands serious artists?  Just because you don't like them does not mean they are not serious.  They are out there performing, they are artists.  There are plenty of "serious" artists that started in boy bands, Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, George Michael just to name a few.  There are plenty of highly thought of artists that have used stunts to thrill the audience.  The RHCP performed in diapers, Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat, etc.  It is just a way of getting the audience excited.  There is nothing cheap about it, it is just a part of the show.  

Iggy pop fully nude when he was younger.

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Actually I'll note he's pretty much stopped doing this (unless I've missed something) since rehab so therefore it looks more like he's mostly done it under the influence. A wonderful example that's regularly reposted by happy-go-lucky fans is iheart radio. Also a few weeks beforehand in Paris when he ran onstage in his underwear and mooned the crowd. 

I think when he used to full frontal flash it wasn't really a sexual/trying to appeal to girls thing, it was more a cheeky "look at me I'm going to do whatever I want" thing. It wasn't a gimmick, it was just part of him being a snotty little punk the same as when he'd make provocative comments or swear etc. Whether it's flashing like that or doing suggestive things to tease the crowd now it's all just part of him being a performer who likes to express himself on stage and put on an entertaining show as well as just play his songs.

Like I said he could just play the songs and do nothing else if he wanted, but then he wouldn't be as distinctive as a frontman and the show would be less interesting for both him and the crowd, so like with virtually all performers there's more to his performance than that. Same with pyrotechnics or confetti or bringing fans on stage - none are essential but that doesn't mean they're gimmicks or take away from the music, it's all just added extras.

But yeah anyway, I think the original point is that GD can do fun stuff as well as serious stuff (eg fun songs on Rev Rad). Not sure how we got here :lol: 

On 16.5.2017 at 9:20 PM, Nathan2521 said:

When this first came out I really liked it simply because it was green day releasing new songs, I didn't really pay much attention to these songs, I just listened, but after coming back and listening to stuff from dookie, A.I , and 21st CB, this album is pretty average. But I'd love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions!!! :) 

I felt exactly the other way round - when the new singles were released, I was pretty disappointed, especially with Still Breathing, Youngblood, Ordinary World and Say Goodbye, because I'd hoped for something more like their earlier stuff, something more "raw", less produced and less singer-songwriter-like (especially Still Breathing and Ordinary World). But after a while, I got around to appreciating the songs for what they are, not for what I'd expected them to be, and now I actually like them a lot. To stick with the ?/10, I'd go for something like 7.5 outta ten, with ten being Dookie (Warning 9, American Idiot 8.5).

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think when he used to full frontal flash it wasn't really a sexual/trying to appeal to girls thing, it was more a cheeky "look at me I'm going to do whatever I want" thing. It wasn't a gimmick, it was just part of him being a snotty little punk the same as when he'd make provocative comments or swear etc. Whether it's flashing like that or doing suggestive things to tease the crowd now it's all just part of him being a performer who likes to express himself on stage and put on an entertaining show as well as just play his songs.

Like I said he could just play the songs and do nothing else if he wanted, but then he wouldn't be as distinctive as a frontman and the show would be less interesting for both him and the crowd, so like with virtually all performers there's more to his performance than that. Same with pyrotechnics or confetti or bringing fans on stage - none are essential but that doesn't mean they're gimmicks or take away from the music, it's all just added extras.

As I said the flashing and full frontal nudity appears to have ceased since rehab so I really do question if it had anything to do with being a snotty punk doing whatever he wanted verses being under the influence. As I said above was he being snotty and doing whatever he wanted at iheart and Paris or was he just wasted? 

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

As I said the flashing and full frontal nudity appears to have ceased since rehab so I really do question if it had anything to do with being a snotty punk doing whatever he wanted verses being under the influence. As I said above was he being snotty and doing whatever he wanted at iheart and Paris or was he just wasted? 

Full frontal on stage ceased in like 1996, dunno why he got tired of that but he's still flashed flesh or at least done provocative/sexy things since rehab. Yeah of course being under the influence might  lower his inhibitions and make him more likely to do it but seeing as he was showing his stuff out a window a few weeks ago I think it's also just in his nature to be a bit of an exhibitionist. 

46 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Full frontal on stage ceased in like 1996, dunno why he got tired of that but he's still flashed flesh or at least done provocative/sexy things since rehab. Yeah of course being under the influence might  lower his inhibitions and make him more likely to do it but seeing as he was showing his stuff out a window a few weeks ago I think it's also just in his nature to be a bit of an exhibitionist. 

I don't recall any incidents of him flashing onstage since rehab and I am one of those who fell into the category of not entirely convinced of his sobriety on St Patricks day when he stood naked in the hotel window.

I think Forever Now is one of the best tracks on the album, BUT is it just me who gets dissapointed or skip the song when the ''i want a better way to die'' is over and the tempo and melody changes to the reprise of somewhere now? 

15 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

I think Forever Now is one of the best tracks on the album, BUT is it just me who gets dissapointed or skip the song when the ''i want a better way to die'' is over and the tempo and melody changes to the reprise of somewhere now? 

Not for me because the reprise of Somewhere Now is the greatest thing ever :wub:. It's so awesome when you hear it again and the whole album comes full circle, especially as Somewhere Now is the best song haha. I particularly love how the guitar played after each line is different to how it was in SN and slightly "off", it's just great. 

14 hours ago, Hermione said:

Not for me because the reprise of Somewhere Now is the greatest thing ever :wub:. It's so awesome when you hear it again and the whole album comes full circle, especially as Somewhere Now is the best song haha. I particularly love how the guitar played after each line is different to how it was in SN and slightly "off", it's just great. 

& don't get me started how great it is live.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Revolution Radio! It's simple and not groundbreaking in any way, and there are a few songs I don't enjoy very much. But it was good enough to make me love Green Day again in a way I hadn't for years. Also, Forever Now is one of the best songs they've ever made. 

2 hours ago, Q.B said:

. Also, Forever Now is one of the best songs they've ever made. 

This

3 hours ago, Q.B said:

I really like Revolution Radio! It's simple and not groundbreaking in any way, and there are a few songs I don't enjoy very much. But it was good enough to make me love Green Day again in a way I hadn't for years. Also, Forever Now is one of the best songs they've ever made. 

Your post pretty much sums up my exact thoughts about Rev Rad. I'm not as keen on Youngblood and Say Goodbye as what I am with the other songs on Rev Rad. However, Bang Bang excites me just as much as it did when I first heard it, and Forever Now is such a coherent piece of music that it doesn't feel like nearly 7 minutes long (and is epic live). And at 45 minutes long- it's too tempting to listen to the album again straight after listening to it :D

Love RevRad, especially Bang Bang, Bouncing off the Wall (I wish they did that on the tour), Too Dumb to Die, Forever Now and Youngblood. My least favorite song is Outlaws and that's only because the music and lyrics are so nostalgic it sounds a bit too weary.  I want to scream "snap out of it! You're not that old and the band's not done!" It's like a swan song when I wish it were looking back in a way that's more fun and less sad.  Upping the tempo would have helped a lot.  It's okay though, they've been through a lot, we live in troubled time and all that -- he's entitled to some moody songs and social statements about depressing things. I hope he feels he's gotten it out of his system now and maybe the next album can be more of a mix with some silly fun.  Having said all that, it's still a really enjoyable album overall.  My only other complaint is I wish it were one or two songs longer, which is good I guess because I really do love it that much.

Archived