Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

What is everyone's honest thoughts on Rev Rad? To me I feel like there could have been more effort and thought put into the record as a whole. There are 3 or 4 really good songs on this album that will stick with me, but I feel like the rest of the songs are very forgettable and just lackluster. This is a good album don't get me wrong, but thats it, it's good and nothing more, I like the trilogy better. I'd rate this album about 6.5/10. When this first came out I really liked it simply because it was green day releasing new songs, I didn't really pay much attention to these songs, I just listened, but after coming back and listening to stuff from dookie, A.I , and 21st CB, this album is pretty average. But I'd love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions!!! :) 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a pretty good album. I like most songs on it. I agree that they could have put more effort into it though - I know that they're good enough to do much better than that. It's nowhere near as good as 21stCB or AI. When it first came out, I was a bit disappointed because I could only get into a few of the songs. However, I have to say it has grown on me a lot. The more I've listened to it, the more I've enjoyed it. It's probably somewhere in my top 5 GD albums by now.

So overall, by Green Day standards I think it's bad, but by general music standards I think it's really good. :D

As someone who prefers 00's GD to 90's GD, I can say that to me, RR is definitely better than most of the 90's stuff (Except maybe Dookie). In terms of the 00's albums, I think AI and 21CB are definetely better than RevRad. RevRad is close to Warning for me in terms of quality. I think RevRad is definetely better than each trilogy album on their own but I would take the entire trilogy over RR. I think RR compares well with the rest of GD's work. Not their best but certainly not their worst.

Obviously, when RR was first released, many people (including myself) may have said that it's the best stuff they've put out in many years but I think that hype is gone now and after 7 months, most people have probably come to realise that while the material is very solid, it's not their best work (Although some people might think it's their best and that's fine)

Considering the kind of album they were trying to make with this, it's good. It's important to remember they weren't trying to do a massive project like AI, 21CB or the trilogy

3 hours ago, Nathan2521 said:

What is everyone's honest thoughts on Rev Rad? To me I feel like there could have been more effort and thought put into the record as a whole. There are 3 or 4 really good songs on this album that will stick with me, but I feel like the rest of the songs are very forgettable and just lackluster. This is a good album don't get me wrong, but thats it, it's good and nothing more, I like the trilogy better. I'd rate this album about 6.5/10. When this first came out I really liked it simply because it was green day releasing new songs, I didn't really pay much attention to these songs, I just listened, but after coming back and listening to stuff from dookie, A.I , and 21st CB, this album is pretty average. But I'd love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions!!! :) 

I agree with you 99% I didn't think Rev Rad was great album either. I gave it 6.

It's like you said it is very forgettable/luckluster it doesn't have power of classic green day sound. I like some of song, Still Breathing,Say Goodbye but rest of song list it make me want to skip or rewind over and over to like it. I dislike the lyrics in (Youngblood,too dumb to die,Somewhere Now) it is too cheesy and kind of doesn't make sense. It is my opinion. :ermm:

But I didn't think the boys wanted to make another Dookie or AI they just want to make their loyal fan happy and to themself

2 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

So overall, by Green Day standards I think it's bad, but by general music standards I think it's really good. :D

But we judge a band on it's standards right? Especially if we care enough about it to be posting in internet forums for this band.

So I believe this is the best green day can offer at this point and this doesn't satisfy me personally. It's pretty sad to be honest. As I see it the band can't move on from American Idiot. They did it and it was great. More than great. It was a classic. They changed their clothes their style their live shows their sound everything. Some people of course didn't like that change called them sell outs(like it was the first time they were called that and they could possibly care) but it gained them a whole new era of fans(myself included). Now it's been almost 13 years later and look what they've done. They followed it with an album that almost made them crazy to create as they were constantly thinking of it as the follow up to American Idiot. It wasn't really genuine cause if you think about it the music they wanted to make was Foxboro Hottubs. And that's a real album by green day and it's a fucking great too. It would have been an awesome move to follow up american idiot with a new sound and not care about label/hits/image all that. But then 21st happened. And I like that album. It just felt too much like an american idiot 2.0 than a new record.

Then they got burned out by all that effort. They felt free at last. The follow up was made. It did pretty good on charts. The tour was massive. Their confidence was up the roof. They thought they could shit songs and them be great. We all know how this turned out. It wasn't epic as fuck. It wasn't the best material they ever recorded. It wasn't the most prolific period of their career.

Then came revrad. I don't know what happened. Why they didn't work with anyone on this one. They said they didn't even tell the label they were recording. I hope it's not their self esteem not being able to hear from someone telling them "no this guitar/drum/bass part isn't good" or "Supernova, Cherry Cola? these are the lamest lyrics ever. What are you smoking Bill?". They were obviously hurt by how the whole trilogy worked out. They said some things against it in interviews during revrad press(yeah I know Mike said some things to back the trilogy up recently). And how did they tried to re-invent themselves? By making American Idiot 3.0 and it obviously didn't even work like 21st did in 09. They need to get out of this mindset imo. American Idiot was brilliant honest and unique. It worked then. It's never gonna work again. It wasn't necessarily a bad album. It was mediocre and forgettable. Can they get over themselves and create something brilliant or at least decent again? I seriously wouldn't bet my money on it and it's sad cause green day are the reason I even started listening to music.

Honestly I don't think this was another attempt at an American Idiot follow-up (or a follow-up to anything else), it was a simple project - which a lot of people seem to have forgotten. It wasn't supposed to be big or glorious or whatever. It just is what it is. Whether it fits your taste or not is another story altogether - personally I really liked it, it was so much more to my liking that nearly anything that I hear on the radio, on tv, being played by other people, etc. I thoroughly enjoy every song on the album except for Somewhere Now, which I always skip, and RevRad, which I like but am not that big of a fan of. So yeah, to me it's a Kerplunk for the 21st century: simple songs, fun stupid lyrics, short album length, no massive over-arching theme, etc. The only thing I would change about it  is the In-Out factor of the volume on some of the songs.          (Actually, I just listened to it in full for the first time in a while today, and I forgot how good it is):D

This is coming from someone who has listened since the 90s.  When it came out, I had it in my top three with AI and Dookie.  Now I have it solely in first place above those.  It was hard to say that at first, because how do you top two seminal albums?  But the truth is, I can find faults with those, whereas I flat out love everything about RevRad.  Bang Bang and Ordinary World are in my top 15 GD songs, Forever Now, RevRad, and Say Goodbye would probably be in my top 30, with Outlaws and Troubled Times not far behind.  

My opinion hasn't changed. Terrible album. It's the lyrics that kill it. It's as though he put a dictionary in a blender and made songs out the mess that resulted. I do like Bang Bang and Troubled Times is OK but that's about it. I actually can't even listen to it. I find it embarrassing. Lyrics like 

I got a seat in the middle of the road
I'm gonna take my time
I shop online so I can vote
At the speed of life
I'm like a drone way up in the sky
I'm a shooting star
There's a soldier that's freaking out
P.S. This is war

Bloody hell. What?!?! Why would someone shop online in order to vote? And what's he taking his time sitting in the middle of the road for since he needs to get that online shopping done so he can vote at speed...the speed of life no less. Also the whole being in the sky like a drone thing and being a shooting star...is he just telling us he's really fucking high (high as in up in the sky :lol:) and that explains the lyrics? Now where does the soldier come from?  And what exactly is war? Oh yeah... Buzzwords.  The woeful lyrics just keep flowing throughout the album. Unreal. 

Ps in case it's not excruciatingly obvious I'm being sarcastic. I don't actually wonder what he means. He means nothing. I do want some of what he was on when he was writing these songs though :P

3 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

My opinion hasn't changed. Terrible album. It's the lyrics that kill it. It's as though he put a dictionary in a blender and made songs out the mess that resulted. I do like Bang Bang and Troubled Times is OK but that's about it. I actually can't even listen to it. I find it embarrassing. Lyrics like 

I got a seat in the middle of the road
I'm gonna take my time
I shop online so I can vote
At the speed of life
I'm like a drone way up in the sky
I'm a shooting star
There's a soldier that's freaking out
P.S. This is war

Bloody hell. What?!?! Why would someone shop online in order to vote? And what's he taking his time sitting in the middle of the road for since he needs to get that online shopping done so he can vote at speed...the speed of life no less. Also the whole being in the sky like a drone thing and being a shooting star...is he just telling us he's really fucking high (high as in up in the sky :lol:) and that explains the lyrics? Now where does the soldier come from?  And what exactly is war? Oh yeah... Buzzwords.  The woeful lyrics just keep flowing throughout the album. Unreal. 

Ps in case it's not excruciatingly obvious I'm being sarcastic. I don't actually wonder what he means. He means nothing. I do want some of what he was on when he was writing these songs though :P

what is named of this awkward song?:ermm:

Most of time, Billie's doesn't know who or what he is singing or writing. he said that before.

45 minutes ago, Eric said:

The album is great. Still feel the fan base will never be happy :lol: 

Everyone being collectively happy with one single thing? nope. never. :lol:

I'm just gonna say this and hope people aren't too offended - not that I actually care

lyrics aren't always meant to be analyzed that closely. it seems people have an annoying habit of over analyzing lyrics, trying to find meaning in something that has no meaning. Sometimes songs are just bits of thoughts and random poetry. Ever listen to 'Birdhouse in Your Soul'? Makes absolutely no sense, until you realize it was written from the perspective of a nightlight.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

The album is great. Still feel the fan base will never be happy :lol: 

i am happy it is just not 'that" great "happy" what am I talking about!:runaround:

I think it is one of the best albums they have made.  I love the classic rock influence through out the album and I love that they have tried some things they haven't done, or not done alot.  I am thrilled with the direction they are going in and can't wait for what they do next.

It's a solid record. Some great songs, some good stuff and some average stuff.

My only criticism is that it feels a little safe. Perfectly fine with it this time around, but if their next record is similar I'd be a little disappointed. AI was a huge reinvention for them, 21st was an ambitious record and the trilogy was epic. But it makes sense that they would make a more straight forward record after all that. I just hope whatever they do next is a step forward in a new direction.

My love for RevRad grows every time I listen to it. I think it's great.

9 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

lyrics aren't always meant to be analyzed that closely. it seems people have an annoying habit of over analyzing lyrics, trying to find meaning in something that has no meaning. Sometimes songs are just bits of thoughts and random poetry. Ever listen to 'Birdhouse in Your Soul'? Makes absolutely no sense, until you realize it was written from the perspective of a nightlight.

I overanalyze lyrics :lol: but I find it a fun thing to do because there is always meaning, even if the meaning is that it's silly or random. It also doesn't always have to be what was intended. Billie Joe might not have given some lines a second thought, but I see it as something we can do, to find the meaning.

10 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

But it's green day. Their lyrics had always been simple meaningful up until 21st. Then we got so many songs which are just words placed next to each other and that sucks. Billie used to be one of my favorite songwriters.

27 minutes ago, petros said:

But it's green day. Their lyrics had always been simple meaningful up until 21st. Then we got so many songs which are just words placed next to each other and that sucks. Billie used to be one of my favorite songwriters.

I think Billie's lyrics are still simple. Slightly less direct since 21st CB (or maybe since American Idiot, there's quite a lot of more complicated imagery and metaphor etc on there) but not that much less. Loads of bands have WAY more cryptic and abstract lyrics than Green Day and I've always considered them one of the most straightforward. Makes "analyzing" their lyrics fun because even though there's a few things to dig into and figure out it's usually not that difficult :lol:. Just because the meaning isn't completely literal or obvious it doesn't mean there's no meaning there.

I think Rev Rad is a wonderful album with the most mature and honest lyrics I've heard from Billie. No massive concept to it but I think that makes sense after taking the dramatic story thing as far as they could with AI and 21st CB and then doing a triple mid life crisis party themed album. Back to basics and just great songs written as a reaction to what was going on in Billie's life and the wider world.

The problem with this album is that it's too predictable. It's good, but it was a safe move from the band. You wanted green day? Here you go. It sounds like AI, has some 21st bd influences and a couple  of songs straight from Uno. Nothing new, nothing too exiting, just a decent green day album. I was hoping it would be something fresh. Like Dookie, or AI and I don't mean SOUNDING exactly like those albums, but being new and fresh like Dookie or AI were at their time. And i can say that Nimrod was fresh. At least some songs. Warning was weird but fresh, hell even trilogy had it's own sound. RevRad is green day repeating themselves for the 3rd time. And at this point I don't think they will ever make another fresh green day album, I doubt they will reinvent themselves again as green day. Not because they can't, but maybe because they don't want to or don't need to. They had a great and long career, some of their albums are now considered classic. It's easier for them to play safe now and release something predictable from time to time. 

That's why I really want them to come up with a new side project. Foxboro Hot Tubs - good, Network - great. Anything. Give me some brilliant crazy shit I couldn't even imagine. I love this band. But I think the weight of the "green day brand" is too heavy for them to put out some new crazy stuff that I'm sure they have somewhere deep in their minds. 

12 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

what is named of this awkward song?:ermm:

Most of time, Billie's doesn't know who or what he is singing or writing. he said that before.

The song I quoted is Somewhere Now. The opening track on the album. It's a good indication of the direction the album is about to take. 

Look there's over analysing lyrics and then there's listening to a song and going what the fuck? He literally has chucked random sentences together and called it a song. They don't remotely relate to each other. It's nonsense. 

Give me a long kiss goodnight

Everybody do the propaganda

I'm not part of your elite I'm just alright 

Throw up your arms into the sky

That could just as easily have been a verse or chorus of any Revad song. Ridiculous. 

OP, I posted something very similar to this when the album came out, and I got flamed. To me, RevRad is mediocre at best. I feel that GD's quality has gone down since 21st, and that the band is capable of so much more than they are currently producing.

Album sales, while not a definitive measure of success, show that the album wasn't as great as the members of this forum make it seem. It's okay if "GD is your favorite band; you'll support them unconditionally; and as long as you like them, they're relevant to you" pleas make you happy, but in the end, you have to remain somewhat objective of the band. The truth is many people (not all) have lost interest in the band, and GD's insistence to stay in their "comfort zone" makes it hard to win new fans. 

I get the feeling RevRad is kind of an introduction to something better. Something real where they have more honest songs when it comes to the world around us. Billie is woke as fuck and I feel like he censored himself this album. If he really intends to not stand in line "no more", then he can't just talk about it, he's gotta be about it. I have hope that that's exactly what he's going to do. 

I just kind of feel like the whole album was an introduction 

7 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think it is one of the best albums they have made.  I love the classic rock influence through out the album and I love that they have tried some things they haven't done, or not done alot.  I am thrilled with the direction they are going in and can't wait for what they do next.

This x1000 

RevRad is on my top 3 of fave GD albums, I love it! 

4 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

The song I quoted is Somewhere Now. The opening track on the album. It's a good indication of the direction the album is about to take. 

Look there's over analysing lyrics and then there's listening to a song and going what the fuck? He literally has chucked random sentences together and called it a song. They don't remotely relate to each other. It's nonsense. 

That could just as easily have been a verse or chorus of any Revad song. Ridiculous. 

Thanks..

another think, I am very confused some of song lyrics ?

Billie have name of the song:Somewhere Now and he put in or switch to another song:Forever Now

he switch from Forever Now to Somewhere now 

WHY CAN'T HE JUST STICK WITH FOREVER NOW IN LYRICS

i DO THINK BILLIE'S IS GREAT SONGWRITER BUT NOT GENIUS ONE.

4 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I am the only one who feels that actually makes sense :lol:

35 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I am the only one who feels that actually makes sense :lol:

No, I'm with you.  

Archived