Is Green Day opening with Know Your Enemy because of Trump?

Jaded Idiot

I was thinking about it last night when I saw some videos from the Revolution Radio tour. They have Somewhere Now, Bang Bang and Revolution Radio that they could open with, but they're using an old single that isn't really a good opener instead. Do you think it's actually a message to President Trump?

I don't think so- they've always played it near the beginning of the setlist. It was normally the 2nd song on the setlist for the both 21st Century Breakdown and the 99 Revolutions tours.

Initially, I didn't like the KYE, Bang Bang & Rev Rad combination. But it definitely works well. However, I would like to hear Somewhere Now at some point during the tour, just because its too good to not be played.

In Vegas, when KYE started, the kids next to me started screaming that's my favorite song!  To each their own, I guess.

tbh, I don't mind it.  It's a great jump around song to start.

1 hour ago, lizziebix said:

In Vegas, when KYE started, the kids next to me started screaming that's my favorite song!  To each their own, I guess.

tbh, I don't mind it.  It's a great jump around song to start.

Yes. I've never been that much into KYE, I even disliked it, but it's a great opener. Easy and fun to sing along and jump and clap. It definitely gets crowds going. 

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yes. I've never been that much into KYE, I even disliked it, but it's a great opener. Easy and fun to sing along and jump and clap. It definitely gets crowds going. 

Agree.  But I think neither of our posts actually answers the OP's question. :lol:

So to that, no, I don't think they open it because of Trump.  

I feel like more people know kye from previous tours, then bang bang, so i guess they thought more people would get worked up for that kinda tedious after awhile song 

Agree with above. KYE is more well known than Bang Bang or Rev Radio. Having said that, I think either of the latter two would be better openers.

But I also agree that if they're only going to play one song from 21CB they should pick something else. Dump KYE and play 21 Guns or Murder City later in the setlist.

I just find it bizarre that they're opening with a song from two (four? :P ) albums ago.

1 hour ago, Josh100_3 said:

I just find it bizarre that they're opening with a song from two (four? :P ) albums ago.

Agree. It could be a great opener (will find out on Friday), but I feel like the Revolution Radio Tour promoting the album should be opened with a new song. On a second leg tours etc. I wouldn't even think twice if they opened with something like KYE though. 

I hope not. It's a decent opener, but not for four (let us all hope not 8) years straight.

I think it's just because it's a song everyone knows and that they can get everyone into singing along etc. They're very obsessed with everyone knowing the songs and being into the show so they chickened out of playing a new song first in favour of one guaranteed to do that :P. Like many of the songs they play the lyrics can be applied to the current political situation but in this case I don't think that's the motivation for opening with it.

However they've sent plenty of messages to Trump later in the show - during the tour the crowd's often started doing a "No Trump, no KKK no fascist USA" chant (which the band encourages) during Bang Bang, Billie's been known to end American Idiot by yelling "fuck you Donald Trump" or change the lyric in Holiday to "pulverize the Donald Trump towers", and just playing those songs plus Revolution Radio is a way of challenging what's going on and encouraging people to question it. And Billie goes on anti hate/pro love rants frequently. So even though I don't think Know Your Enemy being played first is really an example of it they are including that message in their shows.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

However they've sent plenty of messages to Trump later in the show - during the tour the crowd's often started doing a "No Trump, no KKK no fascist USA" chant (which the band encourages) during Bang Bang

I saw this in Germany and London, but haven't seen it in any other places.  Have you seen it in any other ones?  I kept hoping it would start up in America, especially when they were in DC, but couldn't find any videos of it.

4 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I saw this in Germany and London, but haven't seen it in any other places.  Have you seen it in any other ones?  I kept hoping it would start up in America, especially when they were in DC, but couldn't find any videos of it.

Oh really? When I heard London wasn't the only place it happened I just assumed it happened at more than one other show :lol:

I did notice that on videos of it in London it sounds WAY quieter than it did being there, like if you weren't listening for it you might not even hear it at all from a video. It could be possible it happened at other shows without being picked up on a video recording but I don't know, anyone know of a "No Trump..." chant at any other shows?

42 minutes ago, Montclare said:

In Worcester, every other word seemed to be a political thing.  I think this chant happened at pretty much every show, even if there isn't video of it.

KYE is a great opener because it gets people up and out of their seats.  It is easy to sing along too and upbeat.  I think of a good opener as not necessarily a favorite song, but one that gets the crowd going.  KYE does this job very well. 

It's a terrible opener. Billie jumping with explosions into Bang Bang as the flag comes down would be much better imo

1 hour ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

It's a terrible opener. Billie jumping with explosions into Bang Bang as the flag comes down would be much better imo

Have you seen it live as an opener? Everyone is totally into it bouncing around and singing along. It's well known, upbeat and contains loads of singalong/call and response parts to involve the crowd so it gets everyone pumped up and taking part in the show, don't know how it could be described as terrible.

Bang Bang would be good too as it would be nice to see them start with a new song and it's also upbeat. But I don't think it can be denied that Know Your Enemy is hugely effective. It's better known and better for involving the crowd, that's why they switched to it.

I think they're opening with Know Your Enemy because it's a song most people know. Plus, the drum bit with the guitars kicking in soon afterward does make for an exciting "Oh shit, here they come!" moment in my opinion.

Know Your Enemy is nowhere near my favorite Green Day song but I think it has its charm as an opener. And it is a good song for Billie to do hey-ohs with and get the audience pumped for the rest of the concert. I don't think it has anything to do with Trump - it's just to excite the crowd as all the instruments begin to kick in and Billie gets to do some crowd interactions.

Well to be honest when I went to the show of course I clapped and sang along when they opened with KYE, it's a Green Day show.
Honestly though, I was just wishing for the song to be over the entire time so I could clap and sing along with actual enthusiasm.
Faking enthusiasm hoping it turns into real enthusiasm isn't a great way to start the concert, good thing they easily make up for it with the show that follows

edit: as for the topic title: No, pretty sure they're not playing it because of Trump.

I think they picked it as an opener, because it's a safe song. The majority of the audience loves it, and it is guaranteed that most people know the words.
It's only natural that fans that go to more than one show, and have been to quite a lot of shows before, are less impressed with their choice for an opener.

I personally don't like the song. I don't like it as an opener, and what makes it even worse is that Billie always pulls a fan on stage, which draws out the whole thing even more. I mean, I love that they pull fans on stage, but during the first song? I want the first song to be quick and powerful, and not a constant repetition of one line with a break in the middle...

Archived