Green Day fan documentary: submit your stories and fanart!

solongfromthestars

UPDATE: the next version of the book will include new stories and fanart!

tInxOpE.jpg

My Rage My Love My Life is a documentary about the Green Day fan community. It started out as photos of my experiences on tour. When I exhibited the work, I included a book of fan experiences from around the world, called We Are Revolution Radio. It quickly became the best part of the project. The stories everyone shared were the very embodiment of what Green Day is. I believe our love and dedication deserves to be shared with the band - and within and beyond our fandom.

So I'm making the second (and final) volume of We Are Revolution Radio. I want YOU, yes you, to submit your stories or fanart. You can submit by:

Story guidelines:

• What to write about: your story can be anything that communicates what Green Day means to you. It could be about seeing them live, getting on stage, or just loving their music. Maybe you met your partner or friend through them, or feel they saved your life. It doesn't matter whether you've seen them live or not - plenty of others in the book haven't.
  • Minimum word limit: 500 words
  • Maximum word limit: 5,000 words
  • What if my English is bad? Don't worry. All stories will be edited for the purposes of presentation, so it really doesn't matter.
  • Other languages: if it's easier for you to write in French, Spanish or Portuguese, please do and it can be translated.

Photo guidelines:

• Photos should accompany a story.
  • You can submit any of your own photos, of any quality, of shows, travelling to shows and lining up, tattoos, meeting the band, merch or anything else related.
  • To submit photos you didn’t take, eg. professional barrier photos or pictures of you on stage, you can print them out and photograph the printed pictures. Here’s an example.
  • Please DON'T submit photos you don’t have the rights to use. This includes professional barrier photos or tour promo videos. See step above if you'd like to use these.

Fanart guidelines:

• Your fanart submission can be art you’ve already made, or art you make specifically to show in the book. As long as it’s Green Day related, submit it!
  • If you’re not submitting a story, please write a short blurb (100-500 words) about your art.
  • Don’t worry about how good you are. This is about what Green Day means to us, not being a professional artist or writer.

If you have any questions, just ask in the thread or PM me!

The final deadline is DECEMBER 31ST, 2018.

This is the FINAL version I will publish and your last chance at being part of it. I strongly encourage you to submit before December 31st, because if you don't, you'll probably forget.

I cannot wait to give this book to the band on the next tour. Here's my promise I will - I'm way too proud of it not to! But most of all, I can't wait to see what else you have to show me, and to share that with the world. These are just a few of the great stories part of the book so far.

AYt9kaQ.jpg

97RlMHK.jpg

XeRQxBB.jpg

NuFhwxd.jpg

kFRdswZ.jpg

(Soz about the watermarks, I just want to protect the stories people have trusted me with)

Follow My Rage My Love My Life: tumblr / Instagram / my website

Original post:

tumblr_oozk49Y9vx1qiqs5ro1_1280.jpg

Next month I'm exhibiting a photo documentary of my journey following the RevRad Tour, called My Rage My Love My Life. It documents my own journey over 21,272 miles, the people I met, their journeys and the love and devotion we all share.

The exhibition will have a little book of other fans' stories and photos too! You can submit your story and/or photos to be part of a big Green Day project which will potentially be exhibited in London and the US. It doesn't matter how bad your photos are, if English isn't your first language or even if you haven't seen Green Day yet - you're still welcome to take part by telling me what seeing them would mean to you. It's just about sharing what Green Day tour is to fans from all over the world and all walks of life.

cZSNQHW.jpg

How to submit: PM me, post in the thread or if you prefer, submit to the My Rage My Love My Life tumblr

Deadline: May 10th

Word limit: there's no set word limit, but as a guide I recommend 500-1000 words. Don't worry if you only have a few sentences or want to write several pages - that's just a guide and it can all be included!

What to write: your story can be about anything related to Green Day tour. It could be about your first show, why you love seeing them live, what Green Day's fan community means to you, a funny tour story... maybe you met your best friend or partner through them, or feel that seeing them changed your life. Whatever you want as long as it's tour related!

Photos: you can submit photos from any tour, of any quality, of the show or anything related (lining up, travelling, meeting them, etc). You're welcome to submit fanart like drawings or graphics too.

The only thing I can't accept is photos you don't have the rights to, eg. professional barrier photos. If you'd really like to submit one, there are ways! Let me know and we can work it out.

If you're comfortable with it, I'd also like to include your first name, age and state or country, so readers can understand how truly international and all-inclusive the fan community is. Don't worry if you're not comfortable with any of this, or if you'd rather be completely anonymous - that's fine too.

You will, of course, be able to buy both books! I might even send out a free copy as a prize for the best story...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe this is a very beautiful idea. Not sure if I have anything noteworthy to share but this is really awesome :ga: does this have anything to do with your mentioning of Billie Joe in your academic writing? 

Cool idea! I would love to submit something about my tour experience this time around, but it is part of a larger piece I'm working on. Maybe I can rewrite that section so it's not exactly the same to submit.

This is such a wonderful project, I'll think about submitting something, it'd be amazing to be a part of it! I hope it all goes well, maybe Green Day will get to see it one day :ga:

I'm in the middle of submitting....is there a limit on photos? Is six okay? :lol: 

54 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I'm in the middle of submitting....is there a limit on photos? Is six okay? :lol: 

Six is fine, there's no limit! Just read your submission, it's fab :D I had the same feeling when I heard Awesome as Fuck, too.

5 hours ago, luketrebilliemike said:

I just submitted my pics from London along with a short story !!

Awesome! Great pics!

5 hours ago, Marki. said:

This is such a wonderful project, I'll think about submitting something, it'd be amazing to be a part of it! I hope it all goes well, maybe Green Day will get to see it one day :ga:

It'd be great to have you in the book! I hope they will :ga: I don't want to be an annoying fan giving them things they don't really want but at the same time, I feel like they're nice guys who'd humour me if I did give them a copy :lol: so maybe I will.

9 hours ago, letsdanceon said:

Cool idea! I would love to submit something about my tour experience this time around, but it is part of a larger piece I'm working on. Maybe I can rewrite that section so it's not exactly the same to submit.

I'd definitely love to hear about it! It's great that so many people are writing up their experiences, a few others have told me that too and it just goes to show how important their tour is to us.

14 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I believe this is a very beautiful idea. Not sure if I have anything noteworthy to share but this is really awesome :ga: does this have anything to do with your mentioning of Billie Joe in your academic writing? 

Thanks 💚 I'm sure if you did write anything it'd be a great read. It does :lol: I had to reference American Idiot to explain the title and then I used some of his quotes on the fandom.

Hi Maria,

Hey I'm a massive memorabilia collector. Just wondering what the different wristband colours were for the Revolution Radio tour or did they vary from country to country??

10 hours ago, thatgrom said:

Hi Maria,

Hey I'm a massive memorabilia collector. Just wondering what the different wristband colours were for the Revolution Radio tour or did they vary from country to country??

Hi! You mean the pit wristbands? They varied depending on the venue. Most of the European venues didn't have them but all of the American ones did. I haven't got around to uploading the American ones yet but this is what the UK ones looked like:

tumblr_oomffziLB41wnd24ho1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline to be part of the book is TODAY! If you need longer let me know and don't stress over being a few hours late, it's not a super strict deadline.

I've had some amazing submissions and I can't wait to share the book with you guys :D 

tumblr_inline_opqkmnb3Xz1qh775n_540.jpg

4 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

The deadline to be part of the book is TODAY! If you need longer let me know and don't stress over being a few hours late, it's not a super strict deadline.

I've had some amazing submissions and I can't wait to share the book with you guys :D 

tumblr_inline_opqkmnb3Xz1qh775n_540.jpg

Can I send my submission tomorrow? I finally know what I'll write, but creating story in English takes ages to me :lol:

1 hour ago, JellyTime said:

Can I send my submission tomorrow? I finally know what I'll write, but creating story in English takes ages to me :lol:

That's fine! Looking forward to reading it :D 

Until what hour are you taking submissions? I have some portion of what I want to send in ready to go, but I still need some time to craft the rest.

36 minutes ago, Paola17 said:

Until what hour are you taking submissions? I have some portion of what I want to send in ready to go, but I still need some time to craft the rest.

Tomorrow is fine if you need more time :) 

I'm not printing until the 15th, but making the book will take a while so I wanted to give myself plenty of time to sort out the majority of submissions. A few after the deadline will be totally fine, though.

• 2 weeks later...

So the book is finished and it looks amazing. It's definitely been one of the most popular parts of the exhibit - quite a few people were looking at it when I went to check on it yesterday.

Thank you so much to everyone who submitted stories and photos. Together we've made a fab little document of Green Day's impact on their fans and why our community is so special. I'll be sending out the photos of each person's pages soon.

If you'd like to buy a copy of the book please let me know - if enough people want a copy I may be able to print it cheaper! Usually it costs about £15 (GBP) / $20 (USD) and I'm guessing with a bulk order it will be a few pounds/dollars less. I won't make any money from the sales.

tumblr_oqgvxwU5G31wnd24ho1_1280.jpg

Here's the main project in this week's exhibition:

tumblr_oqgw8dYOUY1wnd24ho1_1280.jpg

A few of my favourite images

igp8987_orig.jpg

igp8971_orig.jpg

igp9504_orig.jpg

See more here: http://mariagloriaharvey.com/my-rage-my-love-my-life

If you like the work please do share it with your Green Day friends and anyone else who might be interested! I really want it to reach a lot of people and to allow fandom in adulthood to be taken more seriously.

6 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

So the book is finished and it looks amazing. It's definitely been one of the most popular parts of the exhibit - quite a few people were looking at it when I went to check on it yesterday.

Thank you so much to everyone who submitted stories and photos. Together we've made a fab little document of Green Day's impact on their fans and why our community is so special. I'll be sending out the photos of each person's pages soon.

If you'd like to buy a copy of the book please let me know - if enough people want a copy I may be able to print it cheaper! Usually it costs about £15 (GBP) / $20 (USD) and I'm guessing with a bulk order it will be a few pounds/dollars less. I won't make any money from the sales.

If you like the work please do share it with your Green Day friends and anyone else who might be interested! I really want it to reach a lot of people and to allow fandom in adulthood to be taken more seriously.

so grateful the bivvy bag ranks up there in your favourite images
also the book is amazing i can't wait to read people's stories (especially excited for your one)
well done for this it is wonderful

6 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

The exhibition looks amazing (as does the whole website)!  Really enjoyed looking at all the photos.

I'd love to buy a copy of the book, very excited to read everyone's stories.

Oh, damn, I'd wish  I had seen this before! I got quite a story, but I don't have the time to write it right now... Maybe next time :lol:

11 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

It all looks amazing:wub:. I am so happy 6 chin bill got his moment of fame in the book too. You know i'd love to get a copy :P 

Aw, this is beautiful! Looking at the photos on the website feels especially powerful in light of recent events. I would definitely like to buy the book :happy:

I'd totally buy a copy of the book!

So about buying the book:

Right, so I've put the book in my Bigcartel store for £13.99 plus postage. In 1-2 weeks - to give everyone time to place their orders - I'll make a bulk order and if I do get it even cheaper than this, I'll refund the difference to everyone who bought one.

http://mariagloriaharvey.bigcartel.com/product/book-my-rage-my-love-my-life-a-collection-of-green-day-fan-stories

This makes it a more official sale so you know your money is safe, and I won't end up with more books than I can sell. Bear in mind though that I may not get it any cheaper than £13.99 - it depends how many orders I get - and that it'll be a while before it ships.

Hope this all makes sense, if you have any questions just ask! I really can't wait to share the book with all of you :D

On 25/05/2017 at 1:31 AM, Dirty Rotten Bastard said:

so grateful the bivvy bag ranks up there in your favourite images
also the book is amazing i can't wait to read people's stories (especially excited for your one)
well done for this it is wonderful

The bivvy bag will always have a special place in my heart 💖

On 25/05/2017 at 2:03 AM, Second favourite son said:

The exhibition looks amazing (as does the whole website)!  Really enjoyed looking at all the photos.

I'd love to buy a copy of the book, very excited to read everyone's stories.

Thanks! :D 

On 25/05/2017 at 2:31 AM, greendepent said:

Oh, damn, I'd wish  I had seen this before! I got quite a story, but I don't have the time to write it right now... Maybe next time :lol:

I'll probably make another book one day since this is an ongoing project, so maybe you can be part of it then :) You can still submit your story to be featured on the tumblr if you like.

On 25/05/2017 at 7:02 AM, Yaz. said:

It all looks amazing:wub:. I am so happy 6 chin bill got his moment of fame in the book too. You know i'd love to get a copy :P 

I am also happy six chin bill made it into a gallery. Thanks 💖

On 25/05/2017 at 11:29 AM, herewegoagain said:

Aw, this is beautiful! Looking at the photos on the website feels especially powerful in light of recent events. I would definitely like to buy the book :happy:

Thank you! I do hope it can be a reminder of what live music should be and how no one can take that from us.

Archived