All Time Low covers "Longview"

Fuzz

Pop punk, punk rock, punk pop, pop rock, soda pop, who gives a shit? It's music. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Who cares what genre it is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labelling is so last century.  Is it not more important to look at individual attributes and differences than apply an overly-reductive label which limits the scope for analysis and discussion?

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Again, all Pop Punk. Just think you guys hate the term so bad and don't want it associated with Green Day so in any way possible try to justify how they are different. Everything else is an opinion about if they are good or not.

I have no issue with and see no negative connotation to the term pop punk, it accurately describes Green Day's melodic/pop influenced punk sound. I know sometimes people dislike it and don't want it associated with Green Day but I don't think it's a case of that here, it's a dislike for a certain type of generic pop punk band and the distinction between that and Green Day being expressed rather than a dislike for the term.

1 hour ago, Jake69 said:

They are not punk 

Only on here have I ever seen such shit about a genre :lol: , get over it guys it's Pop

If Green Day is pop punk, so are the Ramones. Ramones music is poppier than Green Day. 

Whether or not the definition of pop punk is accurately applied or not, here is the picture. Pop punk bands: All Time Low, Good Charlotte, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, the Wonder Years, etc. These bands just DO NOT sound like Green Day. They sound like Green Day mixed with Disney channel. Yes, if pop punk goes by its definition of "punk with elements of pop," then Green Day are pop punk. Also, the Ramones, Clash, Offspring, Social Distortion, the Stooges, Husker Du, etc are all pop punk too because they incorporate poppy elements in their music at times.

Overall, the argument is stupid, but I say Green Day is NOT pop punk because they do not belong with the other bands in that category.

I will never understand why anyone gives a shit about a genre.  Who the hell cares, if you like the music, you like the music.  But, if you want to be technical, pop punk, as a genre has a definition.  It is fast punk/rock tempos, with power chords and melodies.  That sure as hell sounds like Green Day to me.

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I will never understand why anyone gives a shit about a genre.  Who the hell cares, if you like the music, you like the music.  But, if you want to be technical, pop punk, as a genre has a definition.  It is fast punk/rock tempos, with power chords and melodies.  That sure as hell sounds like Green Day to me.

It's quite funny tbh! :lol:

It's funny because people are trying so hard to convince themselves that Green Day are not pop punk when they continue to come out with radio friendly songs. Have you heard Still Breathing? It's pretty much just pop. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but it's true.

I remember when I cared about whether or not Green Day was a punk band. Getting into arguments on the internet, relying on metacritic for my personal tastes, and of course trying to act way smarter than I actually was! Those were the days. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that I was a pretentious asshole. 

13 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

If Green Day is pop punk, so are the Ramones. Ramones music is poppier than Green Day. 

Whether or not the definition of pop punk is accurately applied or not, here is the picture. Pop punk bands: All Time Low, Good Charlotte, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, the Wonder Years, etc. These bands just DO NOT sound like Green Day. They sound like Green Day mixed with Disney channel. Yes, if pop punk goes by its definition of "punk with elements of pop," then Green Day are pop punk. Also, the Ramones, Clash, Offspring, Social Distortion, the Stooges, Husker Du, etc are all pop punk too because they incorporate poppy elements in their music at times.

Overall, the argument is stupid, but I say Green Day is NOT pop punk because they do not belong with the other bands in that category.

I think all the bands you mention can be described as pop punk, but there's a distinct difference between the sound of the first and second group which apparently some people won't admit :P. I don't even think anyone's being snobby/pedantic about genres here, it's just pointing out that even though these bands are all described with the same term there's clearly two different camps that they're in sound wise.

I don't actually care what bands are labelled as but it's kind of interesting how all the newer "pop punk" bands who say they were inspired by Green Day and other older ones somehow manage to not sound anything like them but also all sound the same. Don't see anything wrong with pointing this out.

12 hours ago, Jake69 said:

It's funny because people are trying so hard to convince themselves that Green Day are not pop punk when they continue to come out with radio friendly songs. Have you heard Still Breathing? It's pretty much just pop. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but it's true.

Of course, Green Day are full of pop. They make poppy punk music, sometimes more pop than punk. They still don't have that particular generic "pop punk" sound that hundreds of bands such as All Time Low, New Found Glory etc have though. That's all that's being said here.

I'll concede that their music after Warning is generally not punk. It is a multitude of other styles, though.

On 26 April 2017 at 10:06 PM, DookieLukie said:

I'll concede that their music after Warning is generally not punk. It is a multitude of other styles, though.

Nah warning isn't punk either. Warning is my favourite album and I'd say it's one of there least punk albums. It's mainly acoustic/folk driven. There are very few songs on warning that I'd class as punk.  Warning is like there transition to social commentary albums, they did dabble in this kind of thing before warning on songs like "stuck with me".

Archived