All Time Low covers "Longview"

Fuzz

Spotify has released a cover of Longview from All Time Low as part of their Green Day Early Years special

(I started a new thread from the Spotify one so people can discuss the covers individually)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATL is my second favorite band so I love it. Nothing beats the original though, obviously :happy:

Verses are good apart from the vocals, but the choruses, man. Where are the guitars?? TWO OF THE GUYS IN THE BAND PLAY THE GUITAR and yet I am hearing zero guitars when the chorus kicks in!!

24 minutes ago, kripack said:

Guys, there's also a video. I wrote about it in the other thread, but seems like nobody cares

I can't watch it due to regional restrictions, can somebody please upload it to youtube?
Here's a link https://open.spotify.com/episode/6CyWt1m08WOEBfMPMncit0?context=spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DX7iAOkSHdhFI

I'd care if you weren't being such a drama queen about it 

Andres, you absolute wiener, this is US only you know how much this triggers me 

2 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

Andres, you absolute wiener, this is US only you know how much this triggers me 

I love you when you're triggered.

I like some of All Time Low's songs but I don't like this cover at all. It lacks the power and passion of the original. The music sounds flat and lacks power and so do the vocals. 

I'll say it again: this cover shows the difference between pop-punk and Green Day.

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

I'll say it again: this cover shows the difference between pop-punk and Green Day.

it's alllllllllllll pop punk

It sounds cheesy compared to the original. Totally lacks the passion and rawness of Dookie.

4 hours ago, Justin1 said:

Sounds good, but needs more/louder guitars!

I agree with this. I'm not a huge fan of All Time Low, but this is a decent cover. Definitely needs more guitar though.

That Chorus was a tragedy. Sounds like some shitty 80's song that I can't put my finger on at the moment. Drumming needed some work too. Only positive was the loud bass on this track.  

So far some of these covers have been pretty good. My favourite is Burnout by Bayside, and Coming Clean is pretty good too 

11 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Green Day is pop punk...

I think it is a decent cover.  I like the fact that they kept the integrity of the bassline but changed it up for the rest of the song.  I think they did a good job.

Boring band, boring cover

17 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Or the difference between a shit band and a good one

6 hours ago, Jake69 said:

Green Day is pop punk...

Yeah but I totally get what he means. There's good bands like Green Day that can be described as pop punk because they make a melodic/poppy style of punk music, but are imaginative and have their own sound. And then there's a certain type of pop punk band with a certain stereotypically "pop punk" sound that's generic and shitty (eg All Time Low). The difference is clear.

Eh just 1 or 2 things......

It'd be better if they turned the guitars right down, took the strings off the bass, didn't use drums and turned the microphones off and then walked out of the studio and didn't bother. 

actually I didn't even listen to it

:lol:

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Boring band, boring cover

Or the difference between a shit band and a good one

Yeah but I totally get what he means. There's good bands like Green Day that can be described as pop punk because they make a melodic/poppy style of punk music, but are imaginative and have their own sound. And then there's a certain type of pop punk band with a certain stereotypically "pop punk" sound that's generic and shitty (eg All Time Low). The difference is clear.

Doesn't matter. BOTH are Pop Punk. The rest about being shit or good one is a matter of opinion.

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Doesn't matter. BOTH are Pop Punk. The rest about being shit or good one is a matter of opinion.

But there's also a distinct difference in the sound of the music. There's a specific, generic "pop punk" sound that like a million pop punk bands that came after Green Day and various other bands have (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), that Green Day doesn't have. Of course both can be legitimately be described as pop punk but he's just highlighting that difference.

In my opinion, pop-punk as a genre has always been more about providing an everyman's perspective on what music could be, rather than actually making quality music. Pop-punk is a testament to that anyone could be in a band, which is not necessarily a good thing. While enlarging the number of the bands, it worsens the music's quality. Needless to say, this usually results in most of the so-called "pop-punk" bands sounding almost formulaic - it doesn't matter if the band came after Green Day or before them. Green Day, I think, is more of an exception than the rule here.

Speaking of the cover, it sounds too bland and polished for my preferences. The positive is that the musicians are able to stay in tune and play the chords right. But the negative is that they don't really do a whole lot more than that.

While I am an ATL fan, I can't get behind the cover. Ham puts it right when stating that it sounds too polished (that's my take on it at least). 

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

But there's also a distinct difference in the sound of the music. There's a specific, generic "pop punk" sound that like a million pop punk bands that came after Green Day and various other bands have (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), that Green Day doesn't have. Of course both can be legitimately be described as pop punk but he's just highlighting that difference.

Again, all Pop Punk. Just think you guys hate the term so bad and don't want it associated with Green Day so in any way possible try to justify how they are different. Everything else is an opinion about if they are good or not.

Archived