Adeline Vinyl won't play...

runnerbeany

I don't seem to be having much luck with my vinyls!

I ordered a Warning 7" vinyl from Adeline on 31st March. Marble green, too! So. It got caught up in Canada then was sent back. Then finally, it arrived here in England this morning. Went to play it and Warning won't play at all and Scumbag and Outsider play with a horrible screeching! Has anyone else had this issue?

EDIT: Just thought I'd say I am playing it at 45 RPM my others play fine.

Did you clean it before first playing it?  

Ok, i'm confused as to the issue, the record becomes stuck on the needle and the table keeps spinning?

Also, some 7" records do play at 33 1/3 rpm. The only thing i can think of off the top of my head is that the needle's defective, unless you can play other records with it after you've tried this one?

19 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Ok, i'm confused as to the issue, the record becomes stuck on the needle and the table keeps spinning?

Also, some 7" records do play at 33 1/3 rpm. The only thing i can think of off the top of my head is that the needle's defective, unless you can play other records with it after you've tried this one?

Yeah. I tried 45 first then 33. On one side, the record will get stuck but i can see the turntable spinning. Other records play fine though - playing Dookie on it as I type

2 hours ago, runnerbeany said:

Yeah. I tried 45 first then 33. On one side, the record will get stuck but i can see the turntable spinning. Other records play fine though - playing Dookie on it as I type

Huh, i've literally never seen this happen before, didn't know it could happen. Did you try taking it up with their customer service?

Try running a nail file or something round/inside the hole in the centre.  It sounds like it may be too tight on the spindle.

1 hour ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Huh, i've literally never seen this happen before, didn't know it could happen. Did you try taking it up with their customer service?

Yeah, I recieved an email. They're gonna replace it.

36 minutes ago, CocaColaX said:

Try running a nail file or something round/inside the hole in the centre.  It sounds like it may be too tight on the spindle.

You think that could be it? How would I do this?

If the hole is too small it will grip onto the spindle, and not turn with the turntable. You just need to evenly enlarge the hole slightly.  There may still be a problem with the vinyl, but it should be loose, not tight on the turn table spindle.

1 hour ago, CocaColaX said:

If the hole is too small it will grip onto the spindle, and not turn with the turntable. You just need to evenly enlarge the hole slightly.  There may still be a problem with the vinyl, but it should be loose, not tight on the turn table spindle.

I'll try it... how can I widen it?

I would use a ladies metal nail file, as it goes from narrow to wide, but something similar would do, a cone shaped filing tool, for metal or wood, as long as it will fit in the hole. You just need to scrape off a fine layer of vinyl from the hole edge.

• 8 months later...

WARNING (hah): I'm having issues with the Adeline "Warning" 2014 re-issue on green marble that I bought today at Newbury Comics. There's a high-pitched buzzing throughout both the A and B sides; however, it's worse on the A side. It's very screechy as soon as you drop the needle, before the music starts. Then it gets a little lower in pitch—it kind of sounds like a bug buzzing or humming throughout the whole song. The buzzing cuts in and out (particularly over the marble parts?), but gets fainter as it moves towards the center of the record. I thought to contact Adeline Records, as @runnerbeany did, but... they don't exist anymore: I couldn't reach their website and their phone seems to be disconnected, which makes sense because they apparently closed down in August 2017 after the band and their manager split. So I guess there's no getting it replaced by the record label...

I should note that my partner repairs hi-fi gear, and we're positive that it's not our turntable, receiver, or speakers—it's definitely an issue with the vinyl. I guess there's nothing I can do but return it to Newbury Comics. Mostly it's nice to have people to commiserate with. Thanks for reading.

Archived