New book available on Amazon- Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew

desertrose

Hot Off The Press: Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew

It’s almost hard to imagine what the now-behemoth punk band Green Day was like before they became massively famous.

But, back in the late ’80s, Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool were just a bunch of bored, curious high schoolers, looking to create their own tunes and play shows wherever the fuck they could land a gig (even if it was during lunchtime on the schoolyard). 

Today, a new book dedicated to the seminal pop-punkers has come out that “captures the band at the cusp of mainstream success.” Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew — written by Michael Sharon and Tim Kenneally — is also chock-full of dozens of never-before-seen Green Day photos, which helps paint an intimate picture of the young dudes before their careers took off. 

“The amazing thing about Green Day during this period was that even though they were in their very early 20s, they were already incredibly evolved and self-aware,” Kenneally says. “Like the Beatles, who had also honed their craft for years in less-than-ideal circumstances, Green Day was fully ready to take on the world — even if the world didn’t realize it yet.” 

http://www.sfweekly.com/music/allshookdown/out-today-green-day-rising-before-the-dookie-flew/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My copy finally came today. It was supposed to be here last Wed. I've never had that trouble with Amazon or UPS before, but I guess it happens. I'm just glad it came. I browsed through the pictures and read a few sentences and it looks pretty good. 

On 5/1/2017 at 6:01 PM, unextraordinarygirl said:

My copy finally came today. It was supposed to be here last Wed. I've never had that trouble with Amazon or UPS before, but I guess it happens. I'm just glad it came. I browsed through the pictures and read a few sentences and it looks pretty good. 

Sorry about the shipping delay. I think it's because we're a small independent book and therefore Amazon didn't have them in their warehouses. I think they just order them from the printer each time there is a sale. Hope you liked the book. Thanks for purchasing it!

We've been having fun with a new feature on our site called "An Idiot Never Forgets." They are memories (and photographs) of people who attended the July 5, 1994 show at Slim's. We have two installments so far. Check it out and let us know if you were there:

https://www.greendayrising.com/conversation/

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'd like to share some photographs from the book as well as a bunch of outtakes, but I'm not quite sure how to post them here. I don't know what an existing attachment means. Does that mean that tlhe photo needs to be approved  first?  Sorry, but I'm still a new here and a bit of an Idiot. Any help would be great. THANKS!

9 minutes ago, Green Day Rising said:

Hi, I'd like to share some photographs from the book as well as a bunch of outtakes, but I'm not quite sure how to post them here. I don't know what an existing attachment means. Does that mean that tlhe photo needs to be approved  first?  Sorry, but I'm still a new here and a bit of an Idiot. Any help would be great. THANKS!

Upload them to a site like imgur, then just post the direct link to the picture here and it should work :)

The press kit has a lot of the text:

On 5/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, kaylubd said:

In case anyone is interested, I reviewed the book for AXS:

https://www.axs.com/green-day-before-the-dookie-flew-offers-a-rare-look-at-green-day-befor-118223

Thanks again, Mike, for setting me up with a copy!

20 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

Thanks...beauitful B/W photo of younger GD.

Do it have any interview?..

ttps://www.greendayrising.com/s/Green-Day-Rising-Press-Kit.pdf

On 6/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, Caroline Truong said:

I can't read or  see anything from link..:dry:

It's a huge file so it's probably downloading really slowly. You can go to https://www.greendayrising.com/media/ and maybe it will be easier to download from there.

Thanks for the interest!

This one isn't in the book, but it should have been. It's during sound check and Billie is quite high...

Archived