New book available on Amazon- Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew

desertrose

GREEN DAY RISING: BEFORE THE DOOKIE FLEW

Paperback – April 25, 2017

Hardcover – March 3, 2018

On July 5, 1994, Green Day was poised to emerge from the punk cocoon of 924 Gilman Street and develop into a band that has delivered a decades-long run of bird-flipping, thought-provoking and hit-making music. 

But before they grabbed headlines by inciting a mass mud fight at Woodstock '94 and ignited the charts with blistering punk salvos like "Welcome to Paradise" and "When I Come Around," Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool bid one last goodbye to the small-club scene of the Bay Area, playing an intimate show at San Francisco nightclub Slim's to host a bon-voyage party that still rattles the minds of the lucky few who attended. 

"Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew" captures the band at the cusp of mainstream success with dozens of never-before-seen photos and on-the-scene reporting, delivering an intimate portrait of a phenomenon-to-be that obscurity couldn't confine, genre couldn't define and the world had no idea was coming.

https://www.amazon.com/GREEN-DAY-RISING-BEFORE-DOOKIE/dp/0998821713/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1492656076&sr=8-1

About the Author

Michael Sharon is not a professional photographer.

Tim Kenneally has interviewed hundreds of bands and musical artists throughout his career, including Joe Strummer, John Paul Jones, Pavement, Sublime, Primus, Wilco and, of course, Green Day.

51y4f8zAOkL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sent the book by the publishers and we'll be giving away a couple copies through GDA. Will likely have more info about it posted this weekend. 

I really want it, and it seems like it will come out in Germany too because you can pre-order an English Copy. I just want to know when, so I know when to pre-order. :D (Or I will wait for the GDA giveaway...)

I'm glad folks seem excited for this. For more info go to www.greendayrising.com

I really appreciate this site and everything you guys do. As Andres mentioned, contests are coming!

For those who already bought the book, photos from the book will also be a prize option. At least at this time, those photos are not for sale.

I just ordered this from Amazon. The best part is, I was able to use points I've gotten from using my credit card so basically I got it for free. :acute:

Looks like a fun read! Why does hardcover come out nearly a year later? They should have it at the merch stand on the upcoming legs of the tour you would think!

On 4/22/2017 at 10:39 AM, St. Jonny said:

Looks like a fun read! Why does hardcover come out nearly a year later? They should have it at the merch stand on the upcoming legs of the tour you would think!

While, they are the subject of the book, it's not "officially" by them.
However, not sure about this, but I assume they aren't against it either, and probably know about said book. Not sure if they can promote a product about them that they weren't 100% involved in, or sell it either.

My copy is arriving in the mail tomorrow. :dance:

2 hours ago, M0n3y said:

That title :ga:

IKR?...Before the Dookie Flew.....hehehe snicker snicker. :lol:

Got mine. Only got through the first few pages so far. 

Really looking forward to this, my estimated delivery is May-June. Guess it takes a while to ship them out to the UK.

53 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Got mine. Only got through the first few pages so far. 

a few pages is like half the book! I read through this thing in less than a half hour!

58 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

a few pages is like half the book! I read through this thing in less than a half hour!

So tell us about it, what did you think, was it interesting, anything new?

3 minutes ago, jengd said:

So tell us about it, what did you think, was it interesting, anything new?

honestly, this felt more like a magazine. There was an introduction and then 2 or 3 articles/stories written by fans and then a reprint of an old high times article about the band. no new info at all, and some of the photos were alright but nothing super interesting. If I paid like $10 for this I'd be like "ok whatever", but my total with shipping came to $26 and change and I feel kinda ripped off.

1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

Lol true, but I rarely have time to sit and just take in a book like that after work. 

2 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

honestly, this felt more like a magazine. There was an introduction and then 2 or 3 articles/stories written by fans and then a reprint of an old high times article about the band. no new info at all, and some of the photos were alright but nothing super interesting. If I paid like $10 for this I'd be like "ok whatever", but my total with shipping came to $26 and change and I feel kinda ripped off.

Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

Amazon just sent me this information about this G.D photo book. I was just going to get it too .but you save me from getting ripped off. Thanks.:)

4 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the honest feedback. We tried to put out the best book we could with the budget we had. If you are disappointed with the content itself, that's totally on us -- although we felt it was an important night in the band's history to document.

Not that it takes away from your feeling about the cost, but we are not a big publishing house that buys billions of dollars worth of paper per year. It's just Tim and I and we went through a company that got high marks for its color printing and distribution network (IngramSpark, not Amazon). The botton line is that it costs about $8.00 per copy to print and we have to give 35% of the cover price to companies like Amazon for their effort. It would have been nice to charge $10 instead, but the math didn't work.

Again, not trying to in any way discount anyone's 100% right to their opinion after spending their valuable cash on the book, but we certainly didn't want anyone to feel ripped off. In fact, after we saw the proof for the hardcover, we pulled it for that very reason.

I'll also say that we certainly wouldn't want the band to think we were ripping off their fans -- we have a ton of respect for them.

It is a short book and a magazine is in some ways a interesting comparison. But again, unlike the big magazines out there, we have zero buying power to get lower prices. We're just a couple of old Idiots.

Thanks again!

Mike 

Archived