Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

WhiteTim

13 Reasons Why

44 posts in this topic
6 hours ago, Trotsky said:

Are you referring to the character who I've been calling "Mexican Mafia"? The guy who Hannah gave the tapes to and who is always following Clay around and never giving straight answers? He's not Indian, he's Latino.

Hispanic John Locke (Lost, not the philosopher) is annoying because I know that he has listened to everything and probably knows whats best, but I know in my heart of hearts that this show is about people who barely has gotten hair on their junk but talk like they've seen it all. Predictable photographer kid (who is oh so sensitive and had a speech straight out of a DeviantArt bio about souls and photography) somehow still haven't changed schools or gotten murdered after he stalked and then published pictures out of spite. That kid might make me the angriest of all because he haven't died of natural causes yet OR been turned in to the fucking cops. 

5 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

Hispanic John Locke (Lost, not the philosopher) is annoying because I know that he has listened to everything and probably knows whats best, but I know in my heart of hearts that this show is about people who barely has gotten hair on their junk but talk like they've seen it all. Predictable photographer kid (who is oh so sensitive and had a speech straight out of a DeviantArt bio about souls and photography) somehow still haven't changed schools or gotten murdered after he stalked and then published pictures out of spite. That kid might make me the angriest of all because he haven't died of natural causes yet OR been turned in to the fucking cops. 

Have you finished the series?

Also Tony was annoying but I still liked him. The other characters notice his all-wise act anyway so at least the writers were aware of what they were doing :P  There's one moment before Clay listens to his tape, where Tony says something that's misleading and annoying. I know it was a good sort of cliffhanger ending for the episode, but still. I hope if there' a second series they make him less of a Yoda and more of a normal kid. I'm not even sure how old he is, because when he talks to his boyfriend about everyone else he calls them kids.

1 hour ago, Emilie said:

Also Tony was annoying but I still liked him. The other characters notice his all-wise act anyway so at least the writers were aware of what they were doing :P  There's one moment before Clay listens to his tape, where Tony says something that's misleading and annoying. I know it was a good sort of cliffhanger ending for the episode, but still. I hope if there' a second series they make him less of a Yoda and more of a normal kid. I'm not even sure how old he is, because when he talks to his boyfriend about everyone else he calls them kids.

Tony is 17 he mentions his age to Clay after the climbed the mountain 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Tony is 17 he mentions his age to Clay after the climbed the mountain 

That's weird :lol: The way his character is written makes him seem like one of those kids that's like 20 years old but still inexplicably in high school

9 minutes ago, Emilie said:

That's weird :lol: The way his character is written makes him seem like one of those kids that's like 20 years old but still inexplicably in high school

Old soul in a young body lol 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Emilie said:

I've finished it now, and the fact that the 2 most important things came out at the very end among other things still makes me dislike the show. However it got WAY better over time, for sure. 

Spoiler

the suicide made my wrist hurt, got me nauseous and in tears. However, I don't know if it was money related, but a school counselor is NOT a psychiatrist. She isn't dumb, neglecting her friends like Tony and Clay as well as just being an overdramatic teenager is what led to the suicide, imo.

2 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

I've finished it now, and the fact that the 2 most important things came out at the very end among other things still makes me dislike the show. However it got WAY better over time, for sure. 

Hide contents

the suicide made my wrist hurt, got me nauseous and in tears. However, I don't know if it was money related, but a school counselor is NOT a psychiatrist. She isn't dumb, neglecting her friends like Tony and Clay as well as just being an overdramatic teenager is what led to the suicide, imo.

Ah ok. 'Cause I was going to say, if you hate the photographer kid then you'll hate what he does at the end. Or what they imply he's going to do.

yeah the suicide made me sick. I genuinely couldn't move. I know it's considered wrong to show suicide on screen, but it was meant to shock and it did that really well.

It depends on the country maybe. The school counsellor definitely neglected his responsibilities. He made things worse with his careless and ignorant response to her rape. In more minor cases a school counsellor can act as a therapist. Many kids at my school saw our counsellor for anxiety, insomnia, etc. Hannah's case was obviously severe, and he definitely neglected his duties there. In Australia if you suspect a child is at risk of suicide or self harm you need to involve the parents, a proper psychiatrist, even maybe a hospital. I think it's the same in America. He handled that really badly. If he'd done what he was supposed to do she probably wouldn't have died.

19 minutes ago, Emilie said:

Ah ok. 'Cause I was going to say, if you hate the photographer kid then you'll hate what he does at the end. Or what they imply he's going to do.

Hide contents

yeah the suicide made me sick. I genuinely couldn't move. I know it's considered wrong to show suicide on screen, but it was meant to shock and it did that really well.

It depends on the country maybe. The school counsellor definitely neglected his responsibilities. He made things worse with his careless and ignorant response to her rape. In more minor cases a school counsellor can act as a therapist. Many kids at my school saw our counsellor for anxiety, insomnia, etc. Hannah's case was obviously severe, and he definitely neglected his duties there. In Australia if you suspect a child is at risk of suicide or self harm you need to involve the parents, a proper psychiatrist, even maybe a hospital. I think it's the same in America. He handled that really badly. If he'd done what he was supposed to do she probably wouldn't have died.

Spoiler

also I don't understand how Bryce was never cornered and beaten to a pulp considering that everyone pretty much knew

12 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:
  Hide contents

also I don't understand how Bryce was never cornered and beaten to a pulp considering that everyone pretty much knew

Bryce was rich and was a bully and he paid and took care of a lot of them which makes people not want to cross you

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Hide contents

Bryce was rich and was a bully and he paid and took care of a lot of them which makes people not want to cross you

yeah something tells me Bryce beating Clay wasn't the first time he'd hurt someone. Most of the other people who knew were his friends, they'd probably learnt not to confront him about stuff. Even Clay only did it because he needed the confession on tape

5 minutes ago, Emilie said:

Hide contents

yeah something tells me Bryce beating Clay wasn't the first time he'd hurt someone. Most of the other people who knew were his friends, they'd probably learnt not to confront him about stuff. Even Clay only did it because he needed the confession on tape

well just how he pushed Justin down when he very weakly tried to stop Bryce entering Jessica's room to me showed why Justin was afraid on top of Bryce taking care of Justin money wise I'm assuming that Justin wasn't the only one Bryce was supporting as well could be wrong that's just how I viewed all that cause the editor and the photographer was all like "why we defending Bryce for?"

Just now, WhiteTim said:

Hide contents

well just how he pushed Justin down when he very weakly tried to stop Bryce entering Jessica's room to me showed why Justin was afraid on top of Bryce taking care of Justin money wise I'm assuming that Justin wasn't the only one Bryce was supporting as well could be wrong that's just how I viewed all that cause the editor and the photographer was all like "why we defending Bryce for?"

Yeah. Also, if they told anyone about Bryce their secrets would end up coming out as well. I think they all wanted to stick together to protect themselves. If they turned Bryce in they'd either have to explain how they know, or Bryce would probably threaten to tell everyone

oh! And almost everyone was convinced Hannah was lying anyway. Justin told Jessica it was a lie, to protect her from knowing she was raped. Bryce also told everyone it was a lie to protect himself. So I guess everyone just believed them. If they think the story about Bryce is a lie, it's easier to believe that Hannah was exaggerating all the stories. Probably makes them feel a bit less guilty.

54 minutes ago, Emilie said:

Hide contents

Yeah. Also, if they told anyone about Bryce their secrets would end up coming out as well. I think they all wanted to stick together to protect themselves. If they turned Bryce in they'd either have to explain how they know, or Bryce would probably threaten to tell everyone

oh! And almost everyone was convinced Hannah was lying anyway. Justin told Jessica it was a lie, to protect her from knowing she was raped. Bryce also told everyone it was a lie to protect himself. So I guess everyone just believed them. If they think the story about Bryce is a lie, it's easier to believe that Hannah was exaggerating all the stories. Probably makes them feel a bit less guilty.

I think Justin reason was more for selfish reasons than trying to protect Jessica he didn't want her breaking up with him if he really wanted to protect her he'd done more to stop Bryce doing it even if Bryce kicked his ass like he did to Clay he should've fought him kicked down the door than just cry and look dopey during the rest of the party 

on another topic and I've mentioned it before but I'm re watching the series and while I'm not at all condoning what Tyler did but man Justin and the others really treat him like shit acting like what he did was way worse than what Bryce or some of the others did if they do a season 2 and this one has him doing a school shooting or a revenge shootings since Alex was shot we don't know if he did it himself (although he did make a reference to killing himself to Justin in episode 8) or what if Tyler shot him as we see him with a gun and then with more guns at the end and then see him take down a picture of Alex does it mean he shot him or is it a hit list and he took Alex picture down cause Alex stood up for him a bit with one of the bullies in a previous episode so he's sparring him for that act?

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Hide contents

I think Justin reason was more for selfish reasons than trying to protect Jessica he didn't want her breaking up with him if he really wanted to protect her he'd done more to stop Bryce doing it even if Bryce kicked his ass like he did to Clay he should've fought him kicked down the door than just cry and look dopey during the rest of the party 

on another topic and I've mentioned it before but I'm re watching the series and while I'm not at all condoning what Tyler did but man Justin and the others really treat him like shit acting like what he did was way worse than what Bryce or some of the others did if they do a season 2 and this one has him doing a school shooting or a revenge shootings since Alex was shot we don't know if he did it himself (although he did make a reference to killing himself to Justin in episode 8) or what if Tyler shot him as we see him with a gun and then with more guns at the end and then see him take down a picture of Alex does it mean he shot him or is it a hit list and he took Alex picture down cause Alex stood up for him a bit with one of the bullies in a previous episode so he's sparring him for that act?

That's true. And yeah I really hated Tyler and what he did was fucked up, but some of the others had no excuse for treating him so badly. I also don't understand why viewers hate Courtney so much. when people talk about their most hated character it's always her. She did something horrible too but not the worst for sure.

I think they're trying to leave it a bit ambiguous for the second season. Like, I reckon they've deliberately written so it's possible Alex shot himself or Tyler shot him. Or that Tyler is planning a mass shooting and decided to take Alex off his list.

1 person likes this

Just watched the last episode. Will be interesting to see how it goes from here. 

I think the show brings up something that's so important and a real problem of today's society. They should show this at high schools to make people think about how easy it is to treat someone like shit without even knowing about it until it's too late as I think some of the characters did, like Clay. 

I'm not even a teenager anymore and haven't been for like ten years but this show really brought up some heavy feelings for sure. These problems are all over the society, not only high school. 

What kind of age-group is this show aiming at? Like is it very, very teen-agey, or could I enjoy it even if I'm above twenty?

5 minutes ago, Göta said:

What kind of age-group is this show aiming at? Like is it very, very teen-agey, or could I enjoy it even if I'm above twenty?

the first few episodes seems like a CW show but the tone switches very darkly after a few episodes later 

I got my mother watching and she's liking the show and she's almost 70

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Göta said:

I'd say that the first few episodes felt like its meant to be watched by teenagers, for sure. However I'd say it's worth pushing through the cringe because it's necessary character building. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Göta said:

I'm 29 and enjoyed it. 

1 person likes this