Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

WhiteTim

13 Reasons Why

67 posts in this topic

Anyone watched this on Netflix yet? Just binged all 13 episodes today just amazing for me the depression Hannah went thru just hit so hard for me 

Binged watched this about a week ago . Highly anticipated, and really wanted to see how they did the adaptation.

Quite impactful , and definitely stands on its own. It'll be interesting to see where they go from there, cause I definitely think there will be a season two. Love that we got back stories on the other characters -not that it justifies what they do or anything-but you do start to feel for them. Hannah's scene at the end hit me , and oh god, her parents... 

I'm now having my parents watch this , as it does begin conversations and bring up issues dealing with bullying, mental health, sexual assault, etc. On that note, I also love how the show / the cast/ the website for it are pushing resources that people can go to if they need them. Awareness is important, as is the support.

However, it does irritate me that the message is starting to get lost and that there are so many memes regarding the show. It's not really something to joke about.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Paola17 said:

Binged watched this about a week ago . Highly anticipated, and really wanted to see how they did the adaptation.

Quite impactful , and definitely stands on its own. It'll be interesting to see where they go from there, cause I definitely think there will be a season two. Love that we got back stories on the other characters -not that it justifies what they do or anything-but you do start to feel for them. Hannah's scene at the end hit me , and oh god, her parents... 

I'm now having my parents watch this , as it does begin conversations and bring up issues dealing with bullying, mental health, sexual assault, etc. On that note, I also love how the show / the cast/ the website for it are pushing resources that people can go to if they need them. Awareness is important, as is the support.

However, it does irritate me that the message is starting to get lost and that there are so many memes regarding the show. It's not really something to joke about.

Yeah Sheri and Alex and Jessica  out of the 13 people were the only three I felt somewhat sorry for tho I didn't feel sorry for Tyler I feel the group did pick him on too hard what he did wasn't nearly as bad as say Justin or Bryce 

I'm going to start watching this later, I've read some reviews and it seems very polarizing so I am curious what I'll end up thinking of it. 

1 person likes this

I finished watching this a few days ago and I genuinely can't praise it enough. I know it's kind of had a marmite sort of reaction because some people think its reckless and disrespectful in how it handles mental health, but even so it's opened up the discussion even more so when it wasn't discussed enough. It's hard to hate a lot of the characters because they're shown to be human even though they all did shitty things. Justin looks ill in all the present day scenes, and most of the characters do feel guilty about their role, even if they don't feel enough guilt. The only characters I fully hate are Courtney, Bryce, Tyler and Ryan. And the ark with Hannah and Clay broke my heart. The last thing I expected was to cry at a TV show, but it happened numerous times with this, especially in the last 5 episodes when it got extremely heavy, and tbh I'm only now feeling normal again after finishing it. 

The problem I have with it is that on my facebook I'm seeing people I know all to well were bullies talking about how 13 Reasons Why made them realise how the things they say can have such a profound impact. Like really? Should that not have been common sense anyway? It really pisses me off

1 person likes this

I absolutely loved this show, I binged it in two days too. I wouldn't say it's perfect but it doesn't have to be. I feel like some people were unfairly blamed for her death who couldn't have stopped it in my opinion, but I think we have to keep in mind that the tapes were made by a heavily traumatized, emotionally unstable teenager who was bullied in school. Of course all of her bullies are ultimately responsible for her death, but I think suicidal people do blame others for their own suicide even though most will keep that to themselves. But I can only speak for myself. You go through life being wronged by people, and in your head it's everybody's fault for not seeing your pain and not reaching out to help you. Your mother snaps at you and doesn't realize she's hurting you? It's her fault. Friend cancelled on you three times in a row? She doesn't care if you lived or died. Someone doesn't respond to your vague cry for help? They're to blame for what happens. I'm not saying this is right, but to me it makes sense. 

I agree, turning it into memes is inappropriate, we apparently can't have anything popular without having it turned into memes and Buzzfeed quizzes. People who have never seen it start to hate the show simply because the memes are annoying, I think it strips the show of its depth and impact. That's one of the things I hate about the modern world, because everything eventually becomes a meme so people don't have to take anything seriously anymore.

1 person likes this

I just finished it today and I loved it. Usually I don't get emotional with movies or series but this one made feel a lot of things, like if I was in that world. Like I saw on another forum, I think this show should be shown to teenagers in school instead of some boring lectures.

1 person likes this

Watched all the episodes from Monday-Thursday last week and I've never been more emotional watching a show than I did with the thirteenth episode. You know from the very beginning what to expect by the end of it, but when it comes, you just feel unready to watch it. I had to pause the episode and work up the courage to watch it, because I knew it'd be a difficult thing to watch.

I really praise the writers for deciding not to exclude anything or cover things up, and show things as they happen in real life. I think the show touched on topics that young people really need to be educated about more, and I thought these topics were handled with maturity and respect in each episode. 

2 people like this

Such an emotional show. I actually found myself crying in almost every episode and felt really down afterwards too.
Clay's tape episode really upset me, in so many ways. I really hate that he felt like he was to blame, when he only did what she had told him to do. That's unfair.

This show is so realistic, it's so scary and heartbreaking to think that there are kids out there who feel this way.

1 person likes this

2 episodes in and I'm so confused. I have some ideas about what might be happening, so we'll see if I'm right I guess.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Emilie said:

2 episodes in and I'm so confused. I have some ideas about what might be happening, so we'll see if I'm right I guess.

What's confusing so far?

33 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

What's confusing so far?

Just that a lot of the storylines have only begun. Like I still have no idea what that kid with the red car has to do with it. What Justin (?) Foley did to Hannah - I have an idea but they haven't revealed it yet. Or what Clay might have done to end up on a tape.

Also why do all these high schoolers have tattoos lol

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Emilie said:

Just that a lot of the storylines have only begun. Like I still have no idea what that kid with the red car has to do with it. What Justin (?) Foley did to Hannah - I have an idea but they haven't revealed it yet. Or what Clay might have done to end up on a tape.

Also why do all these high schoolers have tattoos lol

They never really reveal why Troy was entrusted with the tapes they did know each other but the show only shows them just casually knowing 

Justin took pics of hannah at the park and then made it seem they did more than just kiss 

as for Clay you'll just have to watch the episode  (tho I'll say she states he doesn't really belong to be listed) 

as for the tats no idea I was thinking that myself I know of no school who would allow tats to be shown like this school apparently let's lol 

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

They never really reveal why Troy was entrusted with the tapes they did know each other but the show only shows them just casually knowing 

Justin took pics of hannah at the park and then made it seem they did more than just kiss 

as for Clay you'll just have to watch the episode  (tho I'll say she states he doesn't really belong to be listed) 

as for the tats no idea I was thinking that myself I know of no school who would allow tats to be shown like this school apparently let's lol 

Oh I know about the park kiss. It's just that in episode 2 the Jessica girl and Justin were talking about how Clay hadn't got to "it" yet. So I thought there was another secret, maybe he'd done something else.

guess I'll find out! I'm not working tomorrow so I'll probs finish the series 

38 minutes ago, Emilie said:

Oh I know about the park kiss. It's just that in episode 2 the Jessica girl and Justin were talking about how Clay hadn't got to "it" yet. So I thought there was another secret, maybe he'd done something else.

guess I'll find out! I'm not working tomorrow so I'll probs finish the series 

Ohhhh yeah that will be answered that's the big one so I won't at all spoil it for you but you haven't missed it 

Yup, Justin does something else. you'll just have to wait and see.

As for Tony, he was the kid that everyone knows. He was kind to most people/everyone, and I guess it made him neutral, hence why he received the tapes.

Here in the US, there are some states that allow for people under 18 to get tattoos. Those states either state that once you're 16, you need to have your parent present when it happens, or some in which it's fine if they receive a signed note from said parent saying you can. And of course, there are states in which they won't ink you if you're not 18-no exceptions.

1 person likes this

Ok new question, why is Clay's face tinted yellow? Good job makeup person

3 minutes ago, Paola17 said:

As for Tony, he was the kid that everyone knows. He was kind to most people/everyone, and I guess it made him neutral, hence why he received the tapes.

He seems like such a guardian angel type figure. Like the kind of character where, at the end of the series you find out he was just in the main character's imagination :lol: I really like him though.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Emilie said:

He seems like such a guardian angel type figure. Like the kind of character where, at the end of the series you find out he was just in the main character's imagination :lol: I really like him though.

Is it? They used a warmer tint/color for the past scenes and the present ones are more in of a blue tint. 

Don't worry - he gets called out XD

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Emilie said:

The color of the video changes during the flashbacks scenes in order to help keep the viewer knowing which is memory and which is current day 

EDIT: damn @Paola17 is fast with replying 😂

30 minutes ago, Paola17 said:

Is it? They used a warmer tint/color for the past scenes and the present ones are more in of a blue tint. 

Don't worry - he gets called out XD

30 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

The color of the video changes during the flashbacks scenes in order to help keep the viewer knowing which is memory and which is current day 

EDIT: damn @Paola17 is fast with replying 😂

Yeah I noticed it in a scene where the sun's on his face. The yellow colouring of his bruise is pretty bad, but there's a patchy bit on the bottom half of his face too. Everyone else looks fine though so I guess they had trouble blending the bruise?

indian Elvis pisses me off to no end. why does he act like the fucking ghost of christmas past? this show makes me angry as shit

Spoiler

That one scene of Hannah killing herself, that shit is just too real. That's fucked up.

9 hours ago, Trotsky said:

I'm half-way through this show now and want to offer some thoughts I've had so far.

It comes off to me as a revenge fantasy, and I know some of you are going to say "wtf no that's horrible, you're missing the point" but let me explain it. Revenge fantasies come in a lot of forms. In a school setting for a story, a school shooting would be on the most extreme end of this trope, and then you have lighter varieties like The Karate Kid where the powerless protagonist wins over their bullies. But I tend to think these stories in all their forms are written by people who regret that when they were bullied, tormented, and thrown down in the mud, they never had the chance to make it "right", they never made their own justice. It just sat in their heads created resentment for years. I know this because I was the powerless, victimized kid and I do have resentment, and I do incorporate that resentment into my writing. But let's talk about Hannah.

Hannah's tapes and her suicide come from the same mindset: that it's her last resort, that there is absolutely nothing left she can do. She reached a point where she decided that no one would ever know or care about the pain they've caused her unless she gives them a reason to care. I think there are plenty of indications that Hannah decided to end her life first and then later decided to make the tapes; it really can't be the other way around because a person doesn't say "I will end my life for the sake of this goal" unless they have already become comfortable with the idea of ending their life. She most likely considered suicide for a very long time, and the desire got stronger with each awful thing she was put through. What Hannah did wasn't impulsive, and from Hannah's perspective it even seems rational. 

Is that socially irresponsible of this shows creators to frame Hannah's suicide in such a way? I have read some reviews saying the show portrays Hannah's suicide plan dangerously or even glamorizes suicide - because it shows that she was "right", because she finally got to make her justice. I do consider that for a younger viewer struggling with thoughts of suicide, seeing Hannah's plan unfold just as she wanted could reinforce these dangerous thoughts of "everyone will understand when I'm dead." And for that reason I hope this show also starts conversations so suicidal people, especially suicidal teens, so that in the real world there will be someone there to tell them that suicide is not the choice they should make. But I haven't seen the ending yet, so I will have to reserve judgment on whether this show's portrayal of suicide is helpful or harmful. I have read that Hannah's suicide is eventually shown on screen, and depending on how exactly that is depicted that could be very harmful to vulnerable viewers or not, I'll have to see.

But seeing the impact of Hannah's suicide through Clay's perspective is a necessity for telling the story. You can't have Hannah's perspective after her death because then the show would be 13 hours of a silent, black screen. And that is how we see the impact of Hannah's death. She wanted her death to have consequences, and that is exactly what happens. One thing I think many viewers will be uncomfortable acknowledging is that Hannah is vengeful and does wish harm on the kids who tormented her. That Hannah is vengeful does not negate her suffering, nor does it make her a bad person. Here is a fact: when you are treated like shit for long enough, you do want the people responsible to suffer. That is human. No one is above it. She is a very relatable protagonist for me precisely because she has some very realistic anger, even hatred for the people who hurt her. And why shouldn't she? It's well deserved. Clay's reaction is also very natural; he's furious at the lying, hypocrisy, and fake sympathy from people who don't want to answer for what they did. This show excels at portraying real emotions, and is realistic in that way. I'll have to keep watching before I can say more.

I do think there is a danger of people feeling it glamorises suicide. Or makes people feel like you can get closure after you're dead. But at the same time I think it's giving a pretty honest view of suicide from both ends - how the person feels after being hurt by someone, and how others don't even realise their actions are hurtful. How when you're depressed or suicidal, everyday arguments can be a justification for dying. Everything becomes a reason. Obviously there was some really awful shit people did, I'm not saying she overreacted.

Some people do miss the point though. I found a discussion online about the show and like half the people were arguing that Hannah showed no signs of depression. People were saying she was just whiny because she overreacted and cried about everything. They don't realise those reactions are massive signs of being suicidal, and people not noticing that was literally the point of the show.

9 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

Spoiler

That was the only time I properly cried in the whole series. It was horrific. People have said it helped with their suicidal thoughts and I see what they mean

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

indian Elvis pisses me off to no end. why does he act like the fucking ghost of christmas past? this show makes me angry as shit

Are you referring to the character who I've been calling "Mexican Mafia"? The guy who Hannah gave the tapes to and who is always following Clay around and never giving straight answers? He's not Indian, he's Latino.