RevRad Tour Equipment

TimmyChunks

14 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

yup, the guitar is mine :) the body's a warmoth and the neck is mighty might. It's got an Invader pickup, but I also have a squier strat with an angled JB haha

if I was in your shoes there's so many questions I would have asked them haha, I probably would have held back a little though cuz I wouldn't wanna annoy them. I really wanna know what the last recording billie used blue on was. he said in some recent interviews that it's been a long time since he recorded with it, but he didn't say which album. I'm guessing he used it on insomniac, I'm not clear about nimrod though. I think most of my questions would center around the recording of nimrod haha

Oh yeah, all are great questions. Believe me, I wanted to ask about a million more questions than what I actually did, but when you're with them the entire time is a blur and you're more or less going with the flow/ asking the occasional question here and there while also trying to maintain a relatively "normal" conversation (without it turning into an interview of sorts). Believe me, next time I plan on asking a few more and hope that over time I'll have a good chance to solve some of these mysteries along the way.

The cool thing I learned overall is that they're more than willing to engage the fans and share some of the interesting stories- it's all about just being lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend time with them. Based on my prior experiences of trying to meet with them I thought that they just shut out fans from their personal lives/ inner circle altogether, but this isn't the case. Like any huge/ legendary band, they're tough to try to arrange a quality meeting with, but it is possible and they are super open/ happy to meet if the opportunity allows. Seriously just an awesome team- from the band, to their family and management and crew I can't say enough good things about them. Great group.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's so awesome to hear! and I love that you're saying there's going to be a next time!

20 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

yup, the guitar is mine :) the body's a warmoth and the neck is mighty might. It's got an Invader pickup, but I also have a squier strat with an angled JB haha

if I was in your shoes there's so many questions I would have asked them haha, I probably would have held back a little though cuz I wouldn't wanna annoy them. I really wanna know what the last recording billie used blue on was. he said in some recent interviews that it's been a long time since he recorded with it, but he didn't say which album. I'm guessing he used it on insomniac, I'm not clear about nimrod though. I think most of my questions would center around the recording of nimrod haha

Nimrod is most likely the last of the albums to be Blue with Warning being a mixture of Blue and Les Pauls as Billie said in a interview once that it was during the Nimrod tour that he got Floyd and became more into the Les Paul sound 

in the GW article for 21st I believe he said he did use blue on some of the backing tracks where he said he'd use different guitars for layering use on some songs 

17 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Nimrod is most likely the last of the albums to be Blue with Warning being a mixture of Blue and Les Pauls as Billie said in a interview once that it was during the Nimrod tour that he got Floyd and became more into the Les Paul sound 

in the GW article for 21st I believe he said he did use blue on some of the backing tracks where he said he'd use different guitars for layering use on some songs 

That's awesome- I didn't realize he used it during 21CB sessions at all. I should have asked how much they used Blue on the Demolicious recordings and just in general in writing/ demo'ing new stuff too. There's clearly a real attachment to Blue and while it's not a primary studio guitar anymore I imagine it must get some studio/ demo play. It's his prized guitar obviously, one of the legendary guitars of rock history. I also didn't ask what he did with it when they're not on tour- I can't imagine it being locked away somewhere. I'm sure it's always in his home recording studio or somewhere else where he can play it regularly.

• 4 months later...
On 4/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, TimmyChunks said:

I honestly don't even know where to begin- at some point when enough time's passed I'd like to share some more pictures, for one, since we had some incredible moments. I did share a few with a couple mods since I had to show someone on GDC but it was such a private setting I don't think they're ready for a public forum yet.

The equipment is really cool to check out. Blue is just this gnarly old guitar and looks completely beat to hell...but at the same time, it was super comfortable to hold and played great. I didn't play it through the rig or anything but you can tell the key parts are well maintained (the neck is super broken in but in great shape, for example) but the body is so awesomely nicked up and grungy. Granted, it kind of looks this way in person but when you hold it you notice that there are tons of nicks/ divots/ scratches all over. The back is all chewed up.

Tre's sticks take a beating. I have some now and where he hits the rimshots it looks like a bulldog chewed them through. He plays with power! Mike's bass rig was really great to check out. I stood in front of his Fender amp setup on stage and it's just incredible.

One thing that stands out is how hard the crew works. They bust their asses to get everything ready. I have no idea how they do it night after night. The two I spoke with were Hans (guitar) and Eden (bass)- both great. Security was great too- the Armstrong's security guy (Eddie) was really cool, which was funny to see after seeing him play the "enforcer" role at so many concerts.

About them: fantastic people. Not a ton to add to what you might expect- Billie Joe is a good conversationalist (and much credit to him, a good listener- I was probably gushing at points and even though he had just woken up and was trying to get through his coffee he was super polite and also conversational). Mike was great- we were taking some pictures and he went out of his way to suggest taking better pics from other parts of the stage, etc. Tre photobombed us during this and got a huge laugh out of it. Tre was also really cool in general- he showed up at the aftershow get-together for friends (when there were more people around) and spent a while there. He was the one I spoke with the least but he was exactly as you'd imagine. Also- soundcheck- wow, it was awesome. They are such a good, tight band. Even in mid afternoon with no one to play for they sounded really crisp and energetic.

Jason was also really cool- actually approached us to say hi and introduce himself. I let him know I love his Pinhead work and he seemed truly flattered.

Adrienne is amazing. So polished, smart, poised, and gracious. She hosted us the whole time and was incredible.

Lastly, Amy Interruptor was at the post show and was great to talk to. I didn't know her music well but knew who she was, and she was just super down to Earth and relatable. Her boyfriend (also in the band) was great to. I've been getting into their music since we met and I'm really bummed I didn't bring up his collaboration with Tim Armstrong. I had no idea he was such an accomplished musician- seemed like a perfectly normal guy, but he has a really impressive musical resume.

this is amazing

I think the overall ''budget'' for this tour is a bit lower than the 21st CB tour for example. During that tour they had far more advanced screens at the shows, and if you compare that to todays ''banners''.  Just look at these screens: 

4 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

I think the overall ''budget'' for this tour is a bit lower than the 21st CB tour for example. During that tour they had far more advanced screens at the shows, and if you compare that to todays ''banners''.  Just look at these screens: 

I remember the shows well- those screens were incredible, they must have been cutting edge technology at the time. I think it was LED enabled. I remember thinking to myself that the screens alone must have cost $5 million (just a wild guess, I could easily be seriously under estimating and wouldn't be shocked if they were $10 million). Transporting and maintaining them plus having technicians for the screen for the entire tour could have easily been a few million more. I've always wondered what they did with them after the tour- they were highly customized and I don't think they could have been used again "as is". Maybe it was broken down for its components, or maybe it sits in a warehouse somewhere. It was a thing to behold.

8 hours ago, Billie_joe_joe said:

this is amazing

Thanks Billie- you were everything I thought you'd be and more ;)

I saw them again a few weeks back and have more good stories. Jason also gave me some pics that I'll post here eventually.

10 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

I remember the shows well- those screens were incredible, they must have been cutting edge technology at the time. I think it was LED enabled. I remember thinking to myself that the screens alone must have cost $5 million (just a wild guess, I could easily be seriously under estimating and wouldn't be shocked if they were $10 million). Transporting and maintaining them plus having technicians for the screen for the entire tour could have easily been a few million more. I've always wondered what they did with them after the tour- they were highly customized and I don't think they could have been used again "as is". Maybe it was broken down for its components, or maybe it sits in a warehouse somewhere. It was a thing to behold.

Thanks Billie- you were everything I thought you'd be and more ;)

I saw them again a few weeks back and have more good stories. Jason also gave me some pics that I'll post here eventually.

Yes i bet they are somewhere... But for the next tour it will be fairly interesting to see how the stage will look like... I'm just hoping for a live DVD plus live album. 

• 1 year later...

This whole thread is great, I totally missed it when it was live, I think it must have got lost in my frantic attempt to keep up with everything while the Revarad tour was going on.  I am deliberately commenting to bring it back up the chat list, I know more people want to read this.

@TimmyChunks thank you so much for sharing this, it’s great and always lovely to hear your idols are good people.

Archived