Next Single

Boulevard of Brexit Dreams

1 hour ago, TimmyChunks said:

Absolutely. If someone doesn't know that this album is out there they just aren't looking hard enough (or just are completely removed from good music in general). Their loss, not ours.

Aka: every person i know :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kripack said:

So I guess we'll see the official video on May 17? :)

Well the music video for SB was released 5 days before it was officially released as a single so it might be a bit sooner than that

On 4/9/2017 at 7:39 PM, TimmyChunks said:

Nailed it. They're in a good situation (more accurately, couldn't be any better) and they don't need to please anyone aside from themselves anymore...and they know that they have a super close connection with their fanbase and as long as they feel good about the music they're creating their fans will receive it well too. Can't ask for anything more as a band. Just an awesome situation all around.

Definitely RevRad. Unless something mysteriously weird had happened but the RevRad video has been shot, edited, and will likely be out in a few weeks...the news about the shoot was a couple months back and Still Breathing has been out as a single for a long time now.

Absolutely. If someone doesn't know that this album is out there they just aren't looking hard enough (or just are completely removed from good music in general). Their loss, not ours.

I love your post, good stuff. I'll just add that if we want a curveball single thrown out there...well, Say Goodbye would be a good candidate. Kinda like Holiday 2.0 to me, but the chorus is a groundswell of solid guitar and sick vocals, and all packaged into that Green Day bubblegum bullet that punches you right in the face. So I wouldn't mind this one either.

I thought I was only think, Say Goodbye is much better song or better single  then RevRad

Say Goodbye is much better energy and hard-ball-Punk Rock single for to reach top ten.

I wish for just once - i really do - that they would not pick the safe song for the single. For christ's sake, Say Goodbye's awesome, Troubled Times is relevant, Too Dumb Too Die is my love affair, i mean there's seriously so many awesome choices on there, and what do they do - they choose fucking REVRAD! :lol:

Trouble times it is too much angry song to make into mainstream single chart and too dumb to die is too depressing..My opinion of course!:happy:

25 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

My favorite song of the album, and it is in my B-Day!!! :D

Yup, good job confirming. We'd all love Say Goodbye, etc. but Revolution Radio is clearly a good choice and a great song that stands on its own merits!

We've basically known that RevRad will be the next single for months. Why are people so surprised?

I think Troubled Times would be better.

Do you think there will be 4 or 5 singles? AI, 21CB and the trilogy had 5 each

I think Troubled Times would be a better choise, BUT Revolution Radio IS classic Green Day, all the people that listen to the radio that's not a huge fan of them would probably like RevRad better because they will recognize a song that they can compare to earlier Green Day singles.  That's my opionion at least :)

What sort of chart positions would constitute a success for this single?

I hope it can chart on the UK singles chart - Bang Bang reached no84 but Still Breathing didn't chart on it for some reason

Kind of agree that it's one of the less exciting choices for a single, and yeah we've practically known since new years eve, but I don't want to hate on it either. At least the only way is up for the next one, sort of.

Spoiler

omg please just go with Too Dumb to Die already

I'm just excited something's happening, and hope we get a funny and good looking video with plenty of close ups :cool:

1 hour ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

I hope it can chart on the UK singles chart - Bang Bang reached no84 but Still Breathing didn't chart on it for some reason

Well that was just in the UK. In the US Bang Bang charted at No. 104 and SB didn't chart in the top 125. BB charted because it was the first single for almost 4 years. There was hype for that release In terms of rock charts, both singles have performed well with both songs reaching no. 1 on several rock charts

I don't think RevRad will do as well because it's the third single which usually tends to be less successful. Although I still expect it to chart fairly well on the rock charts, maybe No. 2-4. It might still get to No. 1. I honestly don't see RevRad doing anything that BB or SB haven't done already. I think if RevRad matches what BB or SB have done, that's as good as it will be and that'll be as successful as that single will do. (I hope I'm wrong though)

1 hour ago, herewegoagain said:

Kind of agree that it's one of the less exciting choices for a single, and yeah we've practically known since new years eve, but I don't want to hate on it either. At least the only way is up for the next one, sort of.

Unless they release Ordinary World as a single. I think that'd be the worst single choice!!

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Unless they release Ordinary World as a single. I think that'd be the worst single choice!!

The thought did cross my mind but I effectively shut it out :cry::D  Although it defnitely could happen I'm hoping they'll want to stick promoting the classic rockier Green Day sound to the mainstream. And I feel like the momentum will be kind of gone so long after the movie release, what kind of video could they make if not related to that?

Actually, I'm putting an imaginary, yearning dollar on Forever Now at some point, how epic would that be.

58 minutes ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

Bang Bang would have been a UK top 40 if the charts were still based solely on sales.  The charts are mainly made up by streaming now, so it's unlikely any songs released at this point will get into the official chart.

The Rock Charts are a better indicator of success.  RevRad will be released within 2 months of the Hyde Park show.  These are usually televised, so if the song gets radio play aswell (which SB seriously lacked on mainstream UK radio) then it has a good chance of charting on the Rock Charts.  Who knows, if SB gets a good crowd reaction at Hyde Park it may also see a peak in sales.

We could just cheat.  Apparently, multiple plays on Spotify on the same device still count so we could all just leave the same song on repeat and it would slowly start gaining sales 😂

I don't think the band care about singles charting anyway tbh as long as people still buy tickets to see them.

4 hours ago, tomdsjames said:

Bang Bang would have been a UK top 40 if the charts were still based solely on sales.  The charts are mainly made up by streaming now, so it's unlikely any songs released at this point will get into the official chart.

The Rock Charts are a better indicator of success.  RevRad will be released within 2 months of the Hyde Park show.  These are usually televised, so if the song gets radio play aswell (which SB seriously lacked on mainstream UK radio) then it has a good chance of charting on the Rock Charts.  Who knows, if SB gets a good crowd reaction at Hyde Park it may also see a peak in sales.

We could just cheat.  Apparently, multiple plays on Spotify on the same device still count so we could all just leave the same song on repeat and it would slowly start gaining sales 😂

I don't think the band care about singles charting anyway tbh as long as people still buy tickets to see them.

Great post, and you last sentence is 100% correct. They have a rare luxury in music that they're clearly enjoying: put out as good an album as you can and have no regrets about it. Check. Hope the fans will enjoy it. Check. And not care about the album sales financially supporting you anymore (since they're already financially secure) but just make sure you put on a great live show and the new stuff resonates enough with fans so you can play some of it but not totally tailor your setlist to greatest hits only. Check.

And, as a fallback, you can still fill large clubs/ arenas if the album totally flops just through playing your hits and deeper tracks in front of your fanbase. Because you are a beloved legendary band and you've earned this status. Luckily for us, they didn't go this route because the new stuff is so good, but that's a hell of a fallback plan.

I'd say they're in a great position and even if RevRad hadn't sold a single copy except to their most diehard fans they'd still be on top of the world. And since they aren't going to release an album that they don't feel 100% great about at this point in their careers, they never had to worry about the worst case scenario anyway.

They've earned this with 2-3 decades of excellence, and boy is it enjoyable as a fan.

8 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

Well that was just in the UK. In the US Bang Bang charted at No. 104 and SB didn't chart in the top 125. BB charted because it was the first single for almost 4 years. There was hype for that release In terms of rock charts, both singles have performed well with both songs reaching no. 1 on several rock charts

I don't think RevRad will do as well because it's the third single which usually tends to be less successful. Although I still expect it to chart fairly well on the rock charts, maybe No. 2-4. It might still get to No. 1. I honestly don't see RevRad doing anything that BB or SB haven't done already. I think if RevRad matches what BB or SB have done, that's as good as it will be and that'll be as successful as that single will do. (I hope I'm wrong though)

I don't really think O.W will be out as single anytime soon. That song is not really "Green day's Song" it is Billie solo's kind of thing for the film. It is just one those special song that just add to album.

but you never know.

To promote the album even better, they could make like a concert movie from Hyde Park or something like that? Check the thread here (Time for GD to release a new livealbum/dvd). 

• 2 weeks later...

So we're just over a week away from Revolution Radio impacting the airwaves apparently.  Surely if that's true we should hopefully be getting the music video this week?

27 minutes ago, tomdsjames said:

So we're just over a week away from Revolution Radio impacting the airwaves apparently.  Surely if that's true we should hopefully be getting the music video this week?

That would make sense. Also, I totally agree with those on here who said that the subject of singles from this album charting on the top 100 is completely irrelevant. You don't even see rock bands charting on that anymore, much less one that has been around as long as Green Day. It's never going to happen again and I don't think it was their goal. By realistic measures, the first 2 singles did very well on their targeted formats (rock and alternative). Also I don't find Rev Radio (the single) boring. I like it. There, I said it. Granted, I think Troubled Times or Bouncing would have been better choices, but I still like Rev Rad.

They are waiting way too long for rev rad to be a single. When it does, no one will care outside of GDC of course.

Archived