Boulevard of Brexit Dreams

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I'm still waiting for them to promote Still Breathing

i cackled at this

2 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

Didn't Billie or someone said RevRad will be next video?

Yeah Billie said it months ago. They've already filmed one I think, they just kinda....forgot about it

Green Day promo reminds me of a Girlguiding leader I used to have, and every week she'd come at us with lots of ideas about what we could do in the coming weeks, stuff that never happened :tired: 

2 hours ago, Tinkle said:

OMG is it time to start a new thread.

lets ask Joe Vanwinkle when the guys are going back into the studio.

I completely forgot about that guy,...

OMG those were the days :lol:

I wish SOMETHING would happen.  I'm bored and miss the excitement of when REVRAD first dropped.  Again, I know it's because they are touring and also giving "Still Breathing" a chance to breathe (pun sort of intended).   

I think they did a good amount of promotion though... Kimmel, Conan, Fallon, Colbert, James Cordon, Ellen, Howard Stern, American Music Awards, MTV EMAs, a bunch of magazine articles/interviews including some cover stories (Rolling Stone, Q, NME, Guitar World, Guitar Player), 6 lyric videos, 2 music videos, tons of video interviews online, Reddit AMA, club tours, arena tours, some festivals coming up, more touring... I personally was pretty stoked on the promotion for this album cycle, as a whole at least. Some rad performances, some interesting articles/interviews, a lot of good stuff.

For people who are like "I never knew they even had a new album..." I want to ask them how they get their music news? Do they live under a rock? Cause every music website (Pitchfork, Stereogum, Consequence Of Sound, etc), and every music magazine (Rolling Stone, Alternative Press, NME, Spin, etc) posted a good amount of stuff about Green Day in the last 6 months, and all the rock stations here in Los Angeles play Bang Bang and Still Breathing a shit load. So I don't know what to say to those people. I can understand if you listen to mostly Top 40 how they would escape you, because rock music just isn't as culturally relevant anymore, but that is a whole different conversation. To people who pay even the slightest amount of attention to the "rock" world, I do not understand how you could have not heard about a new Green Day album in the last 6 months. That is crazy to me. 

52 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

i cackled at this

Yeah Billie said it months ago. They've already filmed one I think, they just kinda....forgot about it

Green Day promo reminds me of a Girlguiding leader I used to have, and every week she'd come at us with lots of ideas about what we could do in the coming weeks, stuff that never happened :tired: 

how can they kinda of "forgot" about a making video?..maybe they don't have the time..:dry:

4 minutes ago, Caroline Truong said:

how can they kinda of "forgot" about a making video?

years of substance abuse.

24 minutes ago, straighttohell said:

I think they did a good amount of promotion though... Kimmel, Conan, Fallon, Colbert, James Cordon, Ellen, Howard Stern, American Music Awards, MTV EMAs, a bunch of magazine articles/interviews including some cover stories (Rolling Stone, Q, NME, Guitar World, Guitar Player), 6 lyric videos, 2 music videos, tons of video interviews online, Reddit AMA, club tours, arena tours, some festivals coming up, more touring... I personally was pretty stoked on the promotion for this album cycle, as a whole at least. Some rad performances, some interesting articles/interviews, a lot of good stuff.

For people who are like "I never knew they even had a new album..." I want to ask them how they get their music news? Do they live under a rock? Cause every music website (Pitchfork, Stereogum, Consequence Of Sound, etc), and every music magazine (Rolling Stone, Alternative Press, NME, Spin, etc) posted a good amount of stuff about Green Day in the last 6 months, and all the rock stations here in Los Angeles play Bang Bang and Still Breathing a shit load. So I don't know what to say to those people. I can understand if you listen to mostly Top 40 how they would escape you, because rock music just isn't as culturally relevant anymore, but that is a whole different conversation. To people who pay even the slightest amount of attention to the "rock" world, I do not understand how you could have not heard about a new Green Day album in the last 6 months. That is crazy to me. 

Yes agreed..they went on all these late shows as musical guest so it does count for something. The only thing I wished they did was perform Still Breathing (or at least part of it along with part of BB) at one of the award shows. It would have been great exposure for that song, that I feel has a lot of potential for the mainstream.

what I really don't understand..is why did they performance the song: Forever now and O World in concert

when it is not out yet?

Just now, Caroline Truong said:

what I really don't understand..is why did they performance the song: Forever now and O World in concert

when it is not out yet?

Its promotion for the album.  Not everything becomes a single.  

I think one thing we have to realize is what Billie was very clear about in the last Rolling Stone interview. They really don't give a shit about mainstream success anymore. They just want to make records and play live in front of lots of fans. They love making music and they love their fans. That's about it. It cracks me up that they really don't give 2 fucks about upsetting people politically either. And they don't need to worry.

5 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

how can they kinda of "forgot" about a making video?..maybe they don't have the time..:dry:

I was kidding, I'm sure they'll get round to it eventually :P 

I don't personally think theres anything they could have done different to have made them "bigger" or more apart of the cultural zeitgeist this past year. Even if they played Still Breathing on every talk show and on the radio in place of all the plays Bang Bang got, I don't honestly think it would have changed much. Their music doesn't sound anything like Top 40 radio... what is popular now is Drake, Rihanna, Weeknd, Calvin Harris, Chainsmokers, etc... basically hip hop, pop, r&b... rock is just not relevant at the moment. I don't think there is really anything Green Day could have done more or less this past year to get any bigger, or to get more promotion, or to be more successful. They released singles, videos, were on tv, on the radio, toured a shit load... they did everything they could. They honestly probably won't be at that Top 40 level ever again. That's okay though. They had two great moments at the top of the cultural pyramid in their lifetimes, in 94 and 04, which is more than most artists can say, and they still have millions of fans all around the world. So they can just play to their fans, put out records, for the rest of their lives. But I wouldn't expect them to be out selling or out playing the Rihanna's of the world anytime soon. That seems like an unrealistic expectation.

But anyway, I think they should drop Too Dumb To Die as a single instead of Revolution Radio. I like Revolution Radio as a song alright, but it's kind of generic and it's such an obvious choice as a single. Do something weird. Throw us a curve ball. Too Dumb To Die is way more silly, fun and lighthearted, which I think people need at the moment, less politics and more rock n roll. Plus they just (sort of) had Still Breathing as a single, and that song is so heavy. Give us something light and fun. I also just love Too Dumb To Die so haha yeah i'm biased. Give me a Record Store Day 7" of Too Dumb To Die with a B-Side of a live cut of Forever Now. I'll buy that shit in a heartbeat.

56 minutes ago, straighttohell said:

I don't personally think theres anything they could have done different to have made them "bigger" or more apart of the cultural zeitgeist this past year. Even if they played Still Breathing on every talk show and on the radio in place of all the plays Bang Bang got, I don't honestly think it would have changed much. Their music doesn't sound anything like Top 40 radio... what is popular now is Drake, Rihanna, Weeknd, Calvin Harris, Chainsmokers, etc... basically hip hop, pop, r&b... rock is just not relevant at the moment. I don't think there is really anything Green Day could have done more or less this past year to get any bigger, or to get more promotion, or to be more successful. They released singles, videos, were on tv, on the radio, toured a shit load... they did everything they could. They honestly probably won't be at that Top 40 level ever again. That's okay though. They had two great moments at the top of the cultural pyramid in their lifetimes, in 94 and 04, which is more than most artists can say, and they still have millions of fans all around the world. So they can just play to their fans, put out records, for the rest of their lives. But I wouldn't expect them to be out selling or out playing the Rihanna's of the world anytime soon. That seems like an unrealistic expectation.

But anyway, I think they should drop Too Dumb To Die as a single instead of Revolution Radio. I like Revolution Radio as a song alright, but it's kind of generic and it's such an obvious choice as a single. Do something weird. Throw us a curve ball. Too Dumb To Die is way more silly, fun and lighthearted, which I think people need at the moment, less politics and more rock n roll. Plus they just (sort of) had Still Breathing as a single, and that song is so heavy. Give us something light and fun. I also just love Too Dumb To Die so haha yeah i'm biased. Give me a Record Store Day 7" of Too Dumb To Die with a B-Side of a live cut of Forever Now. I'll buy that shit in a heartbeat.

I love Too Dumb To Die, too! *highfive* 

Yeah, i agree with you. It kind of depends on how you define "success". Considering that everyone seems to love the record, they got invited to major award shows and the singles charted on the Rock Charts, I'd say the album is a success. Also, Green Day manage to stay relevant which is so unique in rock music especially for an "old" band. They manage to participate in the zeitgeist's discourse which is a huge thing for a band that's been around for almost 30 years. Their performance at the AMA's, interviews about Trump, etc. created quite some buzz. In comparison, look at Linkin Park. They have released a mainstream pop single now and it doesn't really matter, because they just don't manage to be relevant anymore (I'm still a huge fan XD). 

Personally I'm not hugely bothered that they've not put out like 6 singles for RevRad. Rock music is definitely not as mainstream as it used to be but seeing the recent Rolling Stone interview I don't think Billie really cares! 

Just thinking back to when I was younger I used to buy CD singles physically - this would have been 2008ish. I don't think I've ever bought a physical GD single besides from the Saints are Coming. In my mind I've always seen them as an 'album' band, rather than one that churns out lots of singles. 

Yeah maybe they could still release another single after Still Breathing but it's been what 3/4 months since it came out? Unless they were to do an East Jesus Nowhere style video with say Bouncing of the Walls and use some tour footage that's the only thing I can see realistically happening to pick up some more ~momentum~

Then again I don't see the point, they're out touring right now and are having a great time. Whatever promotion they've used must have worked. Compared to the barebones trilogy tour they're hitting a lot of places they've not played since 21CB (or maybe even before then). Setlist complaints aside they're still putting on a hell of a show, 30 years on. There's obviously still a lot of demand to see them live!

(This was longer than I thought it would be, oops!) 

Wait..Didn't they came out with a new video for the song: Trouble time

what happens to that? I know they played that song live from new tour..once

anyways..I think that Green day doesn't needed to proved anything at this point in their career,they have their success and all

they just want gave their fan to have a good music to listen and joy

9 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I think one thing we have to realize is what Billie was very clear about in the last Rolling Stone interview. They really don't give a shit about mainstream success anymore. They just want to make records and play live in front of lots of fans. They love making music and they love their fans. That's about it. It cracks me up that they really don't give 2 fucks about upsetting people politically either. And they don't need to worry.

Exactly this, and I love them for that! I think they did quite a good bunch of promotion, like some of you already mentioned, and now they are touring the world to get together with us, and they're touring A LOT because that's what they really want. They are not a marketing machine like so many other bands are, they are just being themselves and doing what they love. I think that's the vibe of the whole RevRad era, and that's probably why I like it so much. Loving Green Day these days feels so intimate (and no, I don't mean this in a dirty way:lol:) because the album is deeply personal and I sometimes think that only people who know the band's history and the stories behind the songs can really see its beauty. In 2004/05 they were SO big and appeared everywhere, but I must say that I feel closer to them as a fan now than I ever did before. And I think they feel that vibe, too.

But it's also true that GD's promotion in general is sometimes a headscratcher, like the #stillbreathing-campaign, which is still a great idea, but it was just not done properly.

10 hours ago, melissi_unicorn said:

I love Too Dumb To Die, too! *highfive* 

Yeah, i agree with you. It kind of depends on how you define "success". Considering that everyone seems to love the record, they got invited to major award shows and the singles charted on the Rock Charts, I'd say the album is a success. Also, Green Day manage to stay relevant which is so unique in rock music especially for an "old" band. They manage to participate in the zeitgeist's discourse which is a huge thing for a band that's been around for almost 30 years. Their performance at the AMA's, interviews about Trump, etc. created quite some buzz. In comparison, look at Linkin Park. They have released a mainstream pop single now and it doesn't really matter, because they just don't manage to be relevant anymore (I'm still a huge fan XD). 

Totally agree... I definitely think the album was a success for them, and that they are still relevant in their own way, especially in the rock world, for sure. I think they've been fucking killing it the past year. It's been a fun time to be a fan. Which is exactly why I don't get how there are rock music fans out there who are like "Green Day have a new album?"... like dude are you living under a rock? It may not have been 94/04 level of exposure but they're definitely around.

10 hours ago, Backyard Skulls said:

Personally I'm not hugely bothered that they've not put out like 6 singles for RevRad. Rock music is definitely not as mainstream as it used to be but seeing the recent Rolling Stone interview I don't think Billie really cares! 

Just thinking back to when I was younger I used to buy CD singles physically - this would have been 2008ish. I don't think I've ever bought a physical GD single besides from the Saints are Coming. In my mind I've always seen them as an 'album' band, rather than one that churns out lots of singles. 

Yeah maybe they could still release another single after Still Breathing but it's been what 3/4 months since it came out? Unless they were to do an East Jesus Nowhere style video with say Bouncing of the Walls and use some tour footage that's the only thing I can see realistically happening to pick up some more ~momentum~

Then again I don't see the point, they're out touring right now and are having a great time. Whatever promotion they've used must have worked. Compared to the barebones trilogy tour they're hitting a lot of places they've not played since 21CB (or maybe even before then). Setlist complaints aside they're still putting on a hell of a show, 30 years on. There's obviously still a lot of demand to see them live!

(This was longer than I thought it would be, oops!) 

Totally. Also, its a different time than it was in the 90s/00s when it made sense to drop tons and tons of singles. Today, anyone can listen to an entire album for free whenever they want, so labels/bands don't really need to rely on dropping singles like crazy to sell albums. What would be the point of them releasing more and more singles from this album? It's kind of a waste of time and money if you think about it. Albums don't sell, touring is where the money is. Makes more sense for them to tour the world relentlessly than to bother with releasing more singles to radio or wherever. Everyone on earth with a smart phone essentially has the entire album in their pocket right now for free.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 9:42 AM, Caroline Truong said:

Wait..Didn't they came out with a new video for the song: Trouble time

what happens to that? I know they played that song live from new tour..once

anyways..I think that Green day doesn't needed to proved anything at this point in their career,they have their success and all

they just want gave their fan to have a good music to listen and joy

The video for Troubled Times was only a lyric video.

I think the reason they don't do much promotion is because they don't need to. They've done a few performances at awards ceremonies and on TV shows and quite a few interviews and that's it really. Although they haven't done much promotion, Rev Rad is still one of their most commercially successful albums (after Dookie, AI, and maybe 21stCB), which shows that they don't really need to spend every second of their lives promoting an album for it to be successful. They obviously don't care about staying mainstream or anything because all they want to do is write music and perform live, so, naturally, they are focusing more on the tour than they are on promotion.

As for the next single, on December 31 2016, Billie wrote on his instagram that he was "preparing the video for revolution radio", so I'm presuming that the next single will be Rev Rad.

December 31 2016?..Billie said that last year about new single and video and they been touring every since.It is confusing.

will it be Trouble times or Rev Rad will be next SINGLE!!

10 minutes ago, Caroline Truong said:

December 31 2016?..Billie said that last year about new single and video and they been touring every since.It is confusing.

will it be Trouble times or Rev Rad will be next SINGLE!!

Probably Rev Rad.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, neverdone2000 said:

Nailed it. They're in a good situation (more accurately, couldn't be any better) and they don't need to please anyone aside from themselves anymore...and they know that they have a super close connection with their fanbase and as long as they feel good about the music they're creating their fans will receive it well too. Can't ask for anything more as a band. Just an awesome situation all around.

3 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Probably Rev Rad.

Definitely RevRad. Unless something mysteriously weird had happened but the RevRad video has been shot, edited, and will likely be out in a few weeks...the news about the shoot was a couple months back and Still Breathing has been out as a single for a long time now.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, straighttohell said:

Totally agree... I definitely think the album was a success for them, and that they are still relevant in their own way, especially in the rock world, for sure. I think they've been fucking killing it the past year. It's been a fun time to be a fan. Which is exactly why I don't get how there are rock music fans out there who are like "Green Day have a new album?"... like dude are you living under a rock? It may not have been 94/04 level of exposure but they're definitely around.

Absolutely. If someone doesn't know that this album is out there they just aren't looking hard enough (or just are completely removed from good music in general). Their loss, not ours.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, straighttohell said:

I love your post, good stuff. I'll just add that if we want a curveball single thrown out there...well, Say Goodbye would be a good candidate. Kinda like Holiday 2.0 to me, but the chorus is a groundswell of solid guitar and sick vocals, and all packaged into that Green Day bubblegum bullet that punches you right in the face. So I wouldn't mind this one either.

Archived