21st Century Breakdown Demo - Iconic Lyrics in 2017

Trotsky

Was listening to MCR's early version of Welcome to the Black Parade this morning, then was thinking about some of my favorite demo songs and 21st Century Breakdown got me thinking. I've always preferred this demo to the final version of the song - it's the little things. The demo's intro is a little better at building anticipation, there's a lot more emotion when Billie sings "the last one born and the first one to run", and the original lyrics are, in my opinion, a lot better. But they're also iconic. Just not in 2009 when most of us on this forum were torrenting this demo song in anticipation of the album release. The lyrics became iconic by what happened in the world.

Album: Videogames to the towers' fall/Homeland Security could kill us all
Demo: From Mexico to the Berlin Wall/Homeland Security could kill us all

I think both lines in the original context they were written serve just to conjure up imagery. The lyrics aren't exactly making a point in the direct point, they're part of the entire stream of consciousness flow from a guy who has been around for awhile, reflecting on how much time has passed and the year of his kid's graduation. But in the era of Trump, the demo lyrics have another, more sinister meaning.

There are other changes, too.

Album: I am a nation, a worker of pride
My debt to the status quo
The scars on my hands are a means to an end
It's all I have to show

Demo: There is a war that's inside my head
That questions the results and lies
I'm breaking my back 'till i'm better off dead
When enough ain't enough to survive

Then the above line from the album version occurs later in the demo, and then the demo lyrics have the line "I am exempt from this tragedy, and the 21st century fall." 

The demo's lyrics here are much darker, and serve to conjure up images of people who work hard but still live in misery. It makes me think of both peoples' fight for a living wage and how suicides and drug overdoses are on the rise across America now. 

Of course, song lyrics are what you make of them. Billie Joe told his own story in writing 21st century breakdown, and people can see that but can also see other themes. But it's very interesting to me that a song from 2009 has gained relevance rather than lost it almost a decade later. 

I really like the demo version too. It sounds awesome. I think all of the lyrics are great in both versions, but the demo is better lyrically. I wonder why the lyrics were changed? Were GD forced to change them by their label or something?

31 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I really like the demo version too. It sounds awesome. I think all of the lyrics are great in both versions, but the demo is better lyrically. I wonder why the lyrics were changed? Were GD forced to change them by their label or something?

I doubt it, there's nothing that extreme in either version. Most likely they just hadn't finalized the lyrics yet when they recorded the demo, it's normal for lyrics to change as a song is worked on. I remember they put the whole album's lyrics online like 6 weeks before the album was out and even some of those changed. Plus they removed a song (Drama Queen) which had been on the tracklist and listened to by journalists and replaced it (with Murder City). They picked over every detail of that album and were making changes right up until the last minute.

I was obsessed with the demo when it came out. That verse in the second part that didn't make it is so good. 

I can see why some elements were changed though. I love the piano beginning in the demo but they maybe thought it was too much of a buildup after Song of the Century, or maybe wanted it to tie in with See The Light. I prefer the little guitar solo before 'Oh dream, America dream" in the final version, it feels more powerful than the demo because they brought it up a scale. 

Am I the only one that prefers the intro on the final album version? I don't know, I'm just not a great fan of the piano in that context, I think it's too theatrical for a studio album and just doesn't work after Song of the Century. I also think the final version has a much more refined sound to it overall. Still, I agree that the lyrics are better on the Demo Version. 

I was thinking about the demo version of this song just like an hour ago! What a coincidence haha. I remember when they released the album version I was annoyed about some changes :P But overall I think I prefer the album version now. I still find myself singing to the old lyrics sometimes though haha.

1 minute ago, jengd said:

I haven't heard this, anyone know if it's available anywhere?

Thanks!  Wow, how different is that piano intro, like it.  I think I prefer the album version all round, possibly just because I know it so well, I love the album.  I do like the piano, would never expect that intro from GD at that point.  I think the later lyrics flow better, these seem a little clunky in places but I get your point.  

On 3/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, Hermione said:

I doubt it, there's nothing that extreme in either version. Most likely they just hadn't finalized the lyrics yet when they recorded the demo, it's normal for lyrics to change as a song is worked on. I remember they put the whole album's lyrics online like 6 weeks before the album was out and even some of those changed. Plus they removed a song (Drama Queen) which had been on the tracklist and listened to by journalists and replaced it (with Murder City). They picked over every detail of that album and were making changes right up until the last minute.

Also wasn't East Jesus Nowhere called March of the Dogs back then?

7 minutes ago, petros said:

Also wasn't East Jesus Nowhere called March of the Dogs back then?

Oh yes! Another thing they changed at the last minute. I always preferred that name over a Juno quote :P 

On 25/3/2017 at 11:41 AM, Trotsky said:

Of course, song lyrics are what you make of them. Billie Joe told his own story in writing 21st century breakdown, and people can see that but can also see other themes. But it's very interesting to me that a song from 2009 has gained relevance rather than lost it almost a decade later. 

Dude...the whole album is a masterpiece...probably better than AI...no wonder it is actual...

Just pick the static age...read the lyrics...

25 minutes ago, zzjay88 said:

Dude...the whole album is a masterpiece...probably better than AI.

:happyhands:

Archived