THE RECORDINGS OF KERPLUNK/39 SMOOTH SUCK...

masondayot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

And the alternate version of 409 in your coffeemaker which appears on the Basket Case single is also much better than on 1,039/SOSH

Didn't know this existed. Thank you for this. :D 

Both albums are overrated. Easily their worst of their discography. Typical GDC state of mind that the rawest low budget music is the best music hahahahahaaaa

52 minutes ago, Eric said:

Both albums are overrated. Easily their worst of their discography. Typical GDC state of mind that the rawest low budget music is the best music hahahahahaaaa

I suppose i can't speak for everyone, but if there's a few specific reason's i like them for, one of them is for their often lo-fi sound.

1 hour ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I suppose i can't speak for everyone, but if there's a few specific reason's i like them for, one of them is for their often lo-fi sound.

Don't feed the troll! :P 

1 minute ago, Todd said:

i wanted to say something a lot bitchier :lol:

6 hours ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

Didn't know this existed. Thank you for this. :D 

THE GREAT SAIYAMAN THANKS YOU!

9 hours ago, Eric said:

How is laughing at people liking 39 and Kerplunk any different to when trilogy fans get laughed at (which as you know is irritating)? There's valid reasons to like or dislike any of their albums, people have different tastes. In any case I'm pretty sure it's only a minority of GDCers who think those albums are "the best" and it's not a mob mentality thing, some people are just into that kind of sound.

When I first listened to them the recording quality did bother me. But soon I got so used to it I stopped noticing the difference as much. And now it just feels like part of their charm. I wouldn't want every album to sound that way but for them it feels appropriate.

It doesn't sound too different to be honest, the original song sounds more raw if anything.

Yikes, a lot of people taking this really personal! I agree though, the production on those first two is just garbage. Great songs (some of em) and we know they had no money, no experience, and no real idea at the time, but the production just is weak sauce for me. Still love and cherish each album, but those are definitely stepping stones rather than full fledged pieces IMO.
To the OP, great cover! You should PM me, I wanna pick your brain about it. The solo was badass especially!

Neither are the best albums by any means but Kerplunk is my absolute favourite album and has been since I first picked it up many years ago.

19 hours ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

THE GREAT SAIYAMAN THANKS YOU!

Well I mean it's obvious the lower production quality wasn't a deliberate choice - they didn't have the money to invest in the albums like they did for Dookie onwards. The songs are still good but the fact they re-recorded a few during Dookie production kinda tells me they'd have liked a better production themselves. Wasn't it Tre who was talking about how the master tapes were impossible to use for Rock Band or something?

Anyway, if the sound works for anyone listening to it, who cares? It doesn't really affect my opinion on the songs themselves beyond the occasional "man I wish they'd made Billie's voice louder and the guitar sound more punchy". I still like the songs. 

On 18/03/2017 at 4:27 AM, Todd said:

Us dumb GDCers just can't help it I guess 

If people are seriously going to bitch about shitty quality records why not bitch about Revrad? At least I don't have to turn 1039 Smooth up and down repeatedly throughout while listening to it and the vinyl doesn't skip repeatedly. I'm also guessing they had a slightly bigger budget and equipment they couldn't have dreamed about 30 years ago. Their budget and timeframe for recording back then was like $200 a packet of crisps and one day :lol:

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

If people are seriously going to bitch about shitty quality records why not bitch about Revrad? At least I don't have to turn 1039 Smooth up and down repeatedly throughout while listening to it and the vinyl doesn't skip repeatedly. I'm also guessing they had a slightly bigger budget and equipment they couldn't have dreamed about 30 years ago. Their budget and timeframe for recording back then was like $200 a packet of crisps and one day :lol:

Idk what you're talking about. I can listen to and enjoy RevRad without having to turn the volume up and down

1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

Idk what you're talking about. I can listen to and enjoy RevRad without having to turn the volume up and down

I have to. Like on Bang Bang, I have to turn up my volume up high to hear what they are saying during the intro and then once the guitars come in, it gets so incredibly loud you have to turn the volume down a significant amount. The same thing on Too Dumb To Die.

23 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Haha yeah i love revrad but Bang Bang is the loudest fucking thing i've ever heard. Don't get me wrong i love loud sounding guitars but in comparison to the other songs on the album its way too loud. Outlaws suffers from this too from verse to chorus.

4 hours ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

Haha yeah i love revrad but Bang Bang is the loudest fucking thing i've ever heard. Don't get me wrong i love loud sounding guitars but in comparison to the other songs on the album its way too loud. Outlaws suffers from this too from verse to chorus.

It's kind of an odd situation. In Bang Bang, the opening is way too low, and the actual song is way too loud.

The opening is supposed to sound low and faint, the bass line too. Then come in with a bang when the guitars hit. Sounds killer to me!

Yeah, the title is a little clickbaity, but I like the cover! You did really good! :)

On 3/17/2017 at 6:36 PM, Eric said:

So what if people like raw, low-budget music? What difference does it make, really? Just let people like what they like, man. :P

On 3/21/2017 at 3:07 AM, St. Jonny said:

The opening is supposed to sound low and faint, the bass line too. Then come in with a bang when the guitars hit. Sounds killer to me!

The difference in volume just needs to be less extreme. Come in with a bang when the guitars hit fine, but not to the extent that I have to turn the intro up so much just to hear it that when the guitars come in I have to turn it down to avoid causing a noise disturbance to my neighbours or damaging my hearing through headphones. They managed to have quiet and loud parts on other albums without that problem. I don't have an issue with the sound of the album overall but they should've made the "quiet" parts in Bang Bang, Somewhere Now and Outlaws (possibly other places too) a bit less quiet. 

I can only agree the record's quality of the first albums of Green Day isn't their best point ! But those songs really are awesome ! And if people want to hear modern versions of those songs, well go listen to Green Day playing them live ^^ ! Really like the Awesome as f*ck track of Going to Pasalacqua !

Archived