VIP passes

Jet Taman

I really wish they would put their foot down and say no to this. It's kinda sad that they're letting it happen :mellow:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AmyxLongview said:

I really wish they would put their foot down and say no to this. It's kinda sad that they're letting it happen :mellow:

Completely agree. I feel like they have to have some say in it...it makes me disappointed in them if I'm being honest 😞

The VIP prices are fucking disgusting. No excuses. Green Day talked shit about Pearl Jam back in 1995 after some fiasco about their ticket prices going up with all three of them insisting that seeing Green Day live shouldn't cost more than (I think it was) $20 or something. They pointed out in another interview that they didn't need to buy new mansions every year while kids couldn't afford a ticket to their show so they refused to raise their ticket prices. Logically ten or twenty dollars was eventually going to have to come in line with non 90's prices eventually but any fan of theirs would have believed they of all people would have kept their prices, as Billie so adamantly stated he would, as low as possible. So why charge 400 dollars for what boils down to seeing them, a $5 piece of plastic and a sandwich? I guess they want to upgrade those mansions. Screw the kids who can't come to the show. After all as Tre pointed out if they raise the prices "by just $1 per head you make a shitload of money". Imagine what happens when you charge $400.

Here's part of them talking about tickets in one interview.

1 hour ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

The VIP prices are fucking disgusting. No excuses. Green Day talked shit about Pearl Jam back in 1995 after some fiasco about their ticket prices going up with all three of them insisting that seeing Green Day live shouldn't cost more than (I think it was) $20 or something. They pointed out in another interview that they didn't need to buy new mansions every year while kids couldn't afford a ticket to their show so they refused to raise their ticket prices. Logically ten or twenty dollars was eventually going to have to come in line with non 90's prices eventually but any fan of theirs would have believed they of all people would have kept their prices, as Billie so adamantly stated he would, as low as possible. So why charge 400 dollars for what boils down to seeing them, a $5 piece of plastic and a sandwich? I guess they want to upgrade those mansions. Screw the kids who can't come to the show. After all as Tre pointed out if they raise the prices "by just $1 per head you make a shitload of money". Imagine what happens when you charge $400.

Here's part of them talking about tickets in one interview.

did they? wow that's fucking stupid of GD to talk shit about PJ...  Pearl Jam fought Ticketmaster cause Ticketmaster was price gouging their tickets (and other bands tickets as well) what Ticketmaster was doing was making ticket prices higher PJ fought against that cause they wanted tickets to be cheap for their fans for a few years they had to use other measures to sell tickets they lost so much money by protesting Ticketmaster so that Ticketmaster wouldn't screw over not just PJ but not screw over all the other bands (GD included) fans 

5 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

did they? wow that's fucking stupid of GD to talk shit about PJ...  Pearl Jam fought Ticketmaster cause Ticketmaster was price gouging their tickets (and other bands tickets as well) what Ticketmaster was doing was making ticket prices higher PJ fought against that cause they wanted tickets to be cheap for their fans for a few years they had to use other measures to sell tickets they lost so much money by protesting Ticketmaster so that Ticketmaster wouldn't screw over not just PJ but not screw over all the other bands (GD included) fans 

Billie never fully explained what his problem was with them in relation to tickets so I didn't fully understand the situation (I'm guessing neither did Billie!) just said fucking Pearl Jam quite a lot. He seems to just have hated the band in general and over the years I've seen interviews where he's made fun of Eddie's voice, hair (said he didn't wash his hair) and the cover of Ten. It annoyed me because I really liked PJ at the time. I'm glad to know they were actually the good guys in this ticket thing.

The thing is, the regular tickets are still relatively cheap for the current climate, and for a band of their caliber. It's just these 'VIP' ones that are extortionate for some reason. I highly doubt the band have anything to do with it (especially since you get nothing actually related to the band - no m&g, no autographs, not even soundcheck access - so they probably weren't even consulted!) so that's probably why the promoter or whoever's doing it is charging that much. Early access for Hyde Park was like a tenner extra. People who queued early for Leeds and London last month got their own 'dedicated' merch stall (as in, they set a stand up next to the queues for people to buy before doors opened.)

When I said the promoter has no reason to lower the price if people are buying them, it was just from a money-grabbing business POV. Doesn't mean it's not ridiculous and exploitive from our POV. But from theirs, people aren't being made to buy them, so if people do buy them, they'll take the money.

35 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Billie never fully explained what his problem was with them in relation to tickets so I didn't fully understand the situation (I'm guessing neither did Billie!) just said fucking Pearl Jam quite a lot. He seems to just have hated the band in general and over the years I've seen interviews where he's made fun of Eddie's voice, hair (said he didn't wash his hair) and the cover of Ten. It annoyed me because I really liked PJ at the time. I'm glad to know they were actually the good guys in this ticket thing.

It was the cool thing to talk shit about PJ in the 90's they were seen as the "corporate band" cause they got together did a show and got signed to a major instantly as a band PJ didn't put in work before singing they were picked up cause they were a Seattle band of course people ignored the fact Stone and Jeff put in a lot of work in Green River which for all intent purposes was just the early version of PJ but when Kurt Cobain started his feud with PJ seemed a lot others joined in of course fans would join in cause during the Ticketmaster boycott they refused to do videos and such 

I am not a concert promoter nor am I involved in any way shape or form in the music industry, but I'm looking at this from a logic point of view.  Anyone who knows more please correct my inaccuracies.  It is my understanding that it is the job of the concert promoter to book the concert and ensure that it is profitable.  As Jenn said, GD tickets are still relatively cheap by industry standard, excluding the VIP tickets.  I don't know how much influence the band actually has over ticket prices, my guess would be minimal.  However, maybe the VIP tickets were a concession to keep overall ticket prices relatively low.  The promoters probably came up with some kind of break even point, "if we sell $100 VIP tickets, we can keep prices below $75 each"  Something like that.         

18 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I am not a concert promoter nor am I involved in any way shape or form in the music industry, but I'm looking at this from a logic point of view.  Anyone who knows more please correct my inaccuracies.  It is my understanding that it is the job of the concert promoter to book the concert and ensure that it is profitable.  As Jenn said, GD tickets are still relatively cheap by industry standard, excluding the VIP tickets.  I don't know how much influence the band actually has over ticket prices, my guess would be minimal.  However, maybe the VIP tickets were a concession to keep overall ticket prices relatively low.  The promoters probably came up with some kind of break even point, "if we sell $100 VIP tickets, we can keep prices below $75 each"  Something like that.         

That makes sense to me! It's not like people have to pay the $400 to see the band, or are being misled (the list of 'perks' is right there), so I guess it's just a matter of whether people think it's worth it. And obviously some do or else the price wouldn't be that high. if no one bought them they'd have to lower the price for a shot of making any money off them at all.

That said, the tour's only just started so maybe they will eventually lower the price if the VIP tickets don't sell well.

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

It was the cool thing to talk shit about PJ in the 90's they were seen as the "corporate band" cause they got together did a show and got signed to a major instantly as a band PJ didn't put in work before singing they were picked up cause they were a Seattle band of course people ignored the fact Stone and Jeff put in a lot of work in Green River which for all intent purposes was just the early version of PJ but when Kurt Cobain started his feud with PJ seemed a lot others joined in of course fans would join in cause during the Ticketmaster boycott they refused to do videos and such 

Yeah so basically Billie was just as bad as all the assholes who thought it was cool to call Green Day sellouts in '94. Doesn't seem he can see things from other people's perspectives. PJ rules. 

22 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Yeah so basically Billie was just as bad as all the assholes who thought it was cool to call Green Day sellouts in '94. Doesn't seem he can see things from other people's perspectives. PJ rules. 

TBF he was younger in 94 and probably just joking around and doesn't have to be a fan of every band's music 

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Look at the above video. They're literally taking credit for keeping ticket prices low and even Tre, the almighty joker, is very, very aware as to the mathematics behind making more money off tickets. You better believe they are very aware of how much their own tickets are since they're the ones benefitting. Nobody is sneaking a few extra million into their accounts while they skip about blissfully unaware. Like I said before this is the band who wanted to keep prices low and now can somehow justify fucking over working class fans, teenage fans etc. It's really not OK.

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

TBF he was younger in 94 and probably just joking around and doesn't have to be a fan of every band's music 

I did say "was" just as bad ;)

On 3/6/2017 at 7:35 AM, Jenn. said:

Considering you're not seeing the band at all then yeah, it is a LOT for what's being offered. I do wonder what went through the head of whoever decided the perks that made them think 'oh yes, something a hardcore fan willing to pay $400 will want or need...a (presumably unsigned) copy of the band's new album which is now a few months old!'

I'm not going to lie, I spend a fucktonne of money on Supernatural conventions, which offer photos up to the price of that VIP package. So I'm literally never going to judge someone for spending that kind of money on something they love. I'm just judging the organizers of the package :P At least with my photos I'm actually meeting the stars - $400 for not even seeing the band or getting an autograph or something like that just seems ridiculous.

At least with SPN conventions for the most part you get perks forthe Gold package, but i must say Creation is becoming extortionate with their prices too. have you seen the photo op with all four guys in it (Jared, Mark, Jensen, Misha) a photo with them would equal the 400 Green Day VIP package (or lack of packaging) :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Like I said before this is the band who wanted to keep prices low and now can somehow justify fucking over working class fans, teenage fans etc. It's really not OK.

But they do keep ticket prices low. No one is forced to buy the VIP tickets. It's just an offer for people who think that the package is worth the price. It's not like they sell all pit tickets for 400 $. THAT would be a rip-off. Lately someone told me that he paid 180€ so that his kid could see Justin Bieber. WTF? 70 bucks for a GD show is really not a big deal. And if they can keep the price for the normal tickets lower by selling some 400$-tickets, why not? Otherwise they would have to rise the price for all tickets, and that would be a problem for working class and teenage fans.

25 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Look at the above video. They're literally taking credit for keeping ticket prices low and even Tre, the almighty joker, is very, very aware as to the mathematics behind making more money off tickets. You better believe they are very aware of how much their own tickets are since they're the ones benefitting. Nobody is sneaking a few extra million into their accounts while they skip about blissfully unaware. Like I said before this is the band who wanted to keep prices low and now can somehow justify fucking over working class fans, teenage fans etc. It's really not OK.

I did say "was" just as bad ;)

You clearly didn't read my post.  A video from 20 years ago is absolutely irrelevant.  Things change including the bands feelings, economy, the state of the music industry, etc, etc, etc.  I never said they weren't aware, I said that maybe they made a concession to offer the VIP tickets so that they can still offer tickets at a lower price.  The promoter needs to make sure EVERYONE makes money on a tour therefore they are going to come up with ways to do that.  The overall ticket prices are still very low compared to other bands.    

5 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

You clearly didn't read my post.  A video from 20 years ago is absolutely irrelevant.  Things change including the bands feelings, economy, the state of the music industry, etc, etc, etc.  I never said they weren't aware, I said that maybe they made a concession to offer the VIP tickets so that they can still offer tickets at a lower price.  The promoter needs to make sure EVERYONE makes money on a tour therefore they are going to come up with ways to do that.  The overall ticket prices are still very low compared to other bands.    

I read it and was directly responding to 

"I don't know how much influence the band actually has over ticket prices, my guess would be minimal."

Also I saw them in London a month ago and the ticket was about £70 for standing. Somebody with a better memory can correct me on the exact price since they took our tickets at the door. £70 isn't exactly a lower price than most bands. Certainly not lower to the point that it justifies charging $400 for pit tickets for the US shows to allow them to be so generous. I mean let's get real for a second here. 

14 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

A video from 20 years ago is absolutely irrelevant.  Things change including the bands feelings, economy, the state of the music industry, etc, etc, etc.  

You are certainly correct that a lot has changed over the years and that's why I posted the video. The bands feelings about ripping off fans being the most relevant to this topic. 

38 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

But they do keep ticket prices low. No one is forced to buy the VIP tickets. It's just an offer for people who think that the package is worth the price. It's not like they sell all pit tickets for 400 $. THAT would be a rip-off. Lately someone told me that he paid 180€ so that his kid could see Justin Bieber. WTF? 70 bucks for a GD show is really not a big deal. And if they can keep the price for the normal tickets lower by selling some 400$-tickets, why not? Otherwise they would have to rise the price for all tickets, and that would be a problem for working class and teenage fans.

I completely agree. I thought VIP was not worth it, so I bought regular priced tickets and I am happy with the price.

I fail to see this as problematic. Would I pay $400? Hell no, it's impossible for me anyway. However, they have a right to charge as much as they please and as much as customers are willing to pay. There are people who did pay that much. There's nothing more to it. 

29 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I read it and was directly responding to 

"I don't know how much influence the band actually has over ticket prices, my guess would be minimal."

Also I saw them in London a month ago and the ticket was about £70 for standing. Somebody with a better memory can correct me on the exact price since they took our tickets at the door. £70 isn't exactly a lower price than most bands. Certainly not lower to the point that it justifies charging $400 for pit tickets for the US shows to allow them to be so generous. I mean let's get real for a second here. 

You are certainly correct that a lot has changed over the years and that's why I posted the video. The bands feelings about ripping off fans being the most relevant to this topic. 

£70 (off hand in gonna say that's what 80 American?) isn't that bad of a price for a band of Green Day's status they should actually be charging more they actually lost a lot of money during the 21st shows due to them keeping ticket prices the same the pyro and all the other stuff came out of their pocket 

Unlike in the past, artist nowadays don't make much money from selling albums, so that is also a factor in concert tickets prices in general.

If they were that desperate to rip us all off they could easily have charged more than a tenner for early entry in Europe. Other than this their ticket prices aren't unreasonable for a band as big as them in 2017. I'm not sure how people are getting from something that was probably decided by a guy in an office to the band wanting to extort more money out of poor people.

7 minutes ago, blueshadows said:

Unlike in the past, artist nowadays don't make much money from selling albums, so that is also a factor in concert tickets prices in general.

Artists have never made much from album sales at the most some are getting a dollar a album (and that's only some and acts like Beyonce GD Adele etc) new acts and escp new acts now are getting less than 20 cents and both examples only matter if the cd is successful and the label makes its money back artists don't see a dime in royalty until the album is in the green for an average budget a album has to sell a million to get back its budget bigger the album bigger the promotion equals more album sales needed plus they're most likely signed a 360 meaning labels get a cut of their touring and merch money (altho once a band/artist moves up they can usually renegotiate to get off in the 360) 

27 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

£70 (off hand in gonna say that's what 80 American?) isn't that bad of a price for a band of Green Day's status they should actually be charging more they actually lost a lot of money during the 21st shows due to them keeping ticket prices the same the pyro and all the other stuff came out of their pocket 

Yeah I'm not saying that their regular tickets are overpriced but they're not underpriced either and some people were suggesting that perhaps the $400 was to allow them to charge less for the regular tickets. For that to even be justified I would expect the other tickets to be a hell of a lot cheaper considering some poor prick is going to stump up $400 to make up for them "only" receiving £70ish for every other ticket. I mean by that logic which I don't buy.

3 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Yeah I'm not saying that their regular tickets are overpriced but they're not underpriced either and some people were suggesting that perhaps the $400 was to allow them to charge less for the regular tickets. For that to even be justified I would expect the other tickets to be a hell of a lot cheaper considering some poor prick is going to stump up $400 to make up for them "only" receiving £70ish for every other ticket. 

What's underpriced to you? Like they just did a show in my city Sunday the cheapest ticket was 39.95 on up to 79.95 all the prices available were fair prices to me if they did any lower they wouldn't be able to tour anymore they wouldn't survive they have 3 touring musicians to pay plus managers stage crew road crew sound crew to pay which all comes out of their pockets so they have the tickets as low as they can possibly get 

7 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

What's underpriced to you? Like they just did a show in my city Sunday the cheapest ticket was 39.95 on up to 79.95 all the prices available were fair prices to me if they did any lower they wouldn't be able to tour anymore they wouldn't survive they have 3 touring musicians to pay plus managers stage crew road crew sound crew to pay which all comes out of their pockets so they have the tickets as low as they can possibly get 

U2 are playing Dublin in a few months and their cheapest tickets were €39 and standing was €76. It's standard.

Archived