Do you guys think the 21st century breakdown tour was still the best tour?

paperlanterns22

I think the joy emanating from the bad is palpable right now, yes they are focussed but relaxed too and clearly having a blast.  It's very contagious.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely the best. Blows the trilogy tour out of the water and revrad tour was great when I saw it during the club tour but I'll be able to give it a better judgement when I see it in a couple weeks.

The 21CB tour had an epicness to it that the other tours don't quite reach. It's probably partly the songs - omitting pretty much the whole album like they're doing now seems kinda dumb to me. I loved the backdrops too. I think I prefer the pyro from this tour (although i miss the Brain Stew flames!)

After Billie Joe played the musical, his performance improved a lot. There is quite a change between 2009 and 2010. But in general, is just plain the best for the fan who likes rarities, like me :lol:

I saw them 4 times on the 21st century breakdown tour, every time was amazing. I wish they'd use 21st century Breakdown as the opener for their shows again, it's so so good live and a much better song and opener than "know your enemy".

I saw them numerous times during all the recent eras and nothing compares to 21st Century Breakdown. It was amazing. Shepherds Bush (2012) was definitely my favourite gig ever because they played so many of my favourite songs and just seemed so energetic and spontaneous, we even had Tre opening the gig with All By myself etc.  Having just seen them in London I can definitely say that even standing in the pit, at the barrier, covered in sweat and desperately trying not to think anything but love for the guys the damn playlist is so stale it reeks. I sincerely, sincerely hope beyond hope it gets completely overhauled before they do their second European leg in summer. Oh to be back in 2009/2010 again *sigh*

4 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

II sincerely, sincerely hope beyond hope it gets completely overhauled before they do their second European leg in summer. 

What do you rate the chances of that happening;)

I get chills thinking back to that first moment I ever heard Song of the Century and the backdrop city lights appearing with the first few strums of 21st Century Breakdown. Not a lot can top those memories, but RevRad has been incredibly in it's own right too! 

There are definitely moments of the 21st CB tour that I will always look back on in amazement. I have videos from the shows I went to which I often watch for nostalgia and yes, the opening is amazing and it in general felt more like an ALBUM tour than the Revelation Radio one. More songs from the album were being played (East Jesus Nowhere is still one of my favourites live and singing along to Song of the Century :):) )

I agree with some of the other posts, in that we also got more of the classics: Geek Stink Breath, J.A.R, Brainstew and Jaded...these are songs I would fucking love to hear again live. I certainly agree that some parts of this tour felt stale and repetitive: Opening with Know Your Enemy, King for a Day, the fans getting picked for the exact same moment during the exact same songs (I remember when Billie Joe would often go 'fuck it' and pick people out to sing or play for songs like She or portions of Jesus of Suburbia). It'd be really really fun to get a little bit more spontaneity in these shows...but with that being said, the RR has been really great fun so far and has had some really great moments. Plus, we've been getting up to 30 songs a gig which is amazing! Here's to hoping the next UK leg is just as fun!

P.S: some of my videos from the 21stCB tour are here! 
Intro (Song of the Century)
Drunk Bunny

11 hours ago, Tinkle said:

What do you rate the chances of that happening;)

Sadly not very high when you look at Jeff's depressing tweet about "energy" as though there is no way they can swap songs or the gig becomes a funeral :rolleyes:

I only saw them once during 21CB tour and that show in Mainz will always have a special place in my heart because it was just a perfect day in general; the people I went with, the supporting acts, the weather, and GD blowing us away with a 3-hour-plus-show that felt like it was from out of space. But I absolutely love the RevRad era and I think they are on top of their energy right now, everything feels so unforced and happy. Oh and KYE really grew on me as an opener, I think it's rad :D

Really can't agree that the set list is "so stale it reeks", wow, were we at the same gig at o2?  I loved the set list and I think Jeff's point is that it's really difficult to put together a set list as they need to keep the energy up but not kill the band doing so, they have so much great material to,pick from and are trying to please all comers. Yes, there are lots of other songs I would love to hear them play live, probably easier to list the ones I'm not bothered about hearing live.  We got some of my all time favourites and the new ones were excellent.  There are many bands, if not most, who have a totally flat, dead bit in the middle of their set and while we can nitpick about getting our favourite songs played, you can't say that with GD.  Tre seems to be saying often that they are really pleased with the set list, that it's really tight so I wouldn't get your hopes up about it changing.  There were hardly loads of folk looking bored where I was at the o2!  Is it a shame we aren't getting any Trilogy stuff, well maybe yes, but perhaps next time, I think they need to back away from it for a while.

Still reminiscing about the 21st CB tour as it was my first tour and it will always have a special place in my heart, too. Wembley 2010 - propably the best day of my life.

but on the other hand it has to be said that this tour was a financial loss for the band. So I'm glad they stripped down the whole stage production. 

2 hours ago, jengd said:

Really can't agree that the set list is "so stale it reeks", wow, were we at the same gig at o2?

Yeah, the greatest hits tour without some of the greats such as 21 Guns or even EJN but typically including Know Your Enemy, a song that could lull any GD fan into a slumber. Fabulous opener. Also have to mention the lack of Insomniac songs and the continued heavy reliance on AI and Dookie material which results in this tour feeling practically identical to the trilogy tour if you simply swap the four or five Revrad songs for the four or five Trilogy songs and hit shuffle. I had a great night at the o2. It was a lot of fun. It doesn't change the fact that I'm sick to death of hearing the same songs live. Over and over and over again. I am not even one of those people who follow them around and have seen them a zillion times, though maybe they are so obsessed they actually wouldn't care if they sang nursery rhymes :lol: I've said it before and I'll say it again, they have soooo many amazing songs, upbeat, slow and everything in between and so many that are singles or well known despite not actually having been released yet they stick to the same few...just change it up. It's time to be bold. There's no decent argument for playing essentially the same 20-30 songs for years other than it's safe.

I'm gutted I missed my chance to see Green Day on the 21CB tour, was so close to buying tickets for it but the dates didn't work.  It looked absolutely amazing, and I'm not surprised many on here think it was their best.

The O2 show (and from the look of things most of the RevRad tour) was absolutely awesome, but there were definitely a few things missing:

• Trilogy
  • Most of 21CB
  • Insomniac
  • Variety, to a degree

Now, don't get me wrong, the setlist was amazing, I loved the general production, and the show was one of the best experiences of my life.  But I still would've made a couple of changes.

• Swap KYE and some of the medley out for a couple of the better 21CB songs (21 guns, EJN, even 21CB)
  • Swap out some of AI and Dookie for a couple of trilogy songs (Brutal love and 21 guns could form a mid show acoustic mini-break, would love missing you as well) and at least GSB from insomniac
  • Introduce a little more variety - I'm not expecting a totally different setlist every night, but if there were 2 or 3 different songs each night that would put them miles ahead of many other bands without being too taxing (they could even kill 2 birds with one stone and make these the 21CB/trilogy/insomniac songs)

Dont wanna repeat myself, but again, I thought the show was one of the best I've ever been to and an all-round amazing experience - but I want Green Day to be as good as they can be, and those are the changes I'd suggest.  I think the attitudes of the band, the crowd interaction, the use of a catwalk and the pyro/backdrops/lighting were near perfect as they were.

Tbh, I wish Green Day would start playing 6 hour long shows that span most of their discography - even if they put in a little interval; at this point, I think that's the only way they can make everyone happy :P 

I absolutely loved the production for the 21CB tour - the pyro, lighting, everything! 

The setlists were great as well! Loads of rarities and lesser-played songs made an appearance which was great!

But I definitely think that the RevRad tour has been their best to date. Billie, Tré and Mike are undoubtedly at the top of their game, and the shows are pure, engaging and quintessentially Green Day. Sure, the setlists mightn't vary much between shows, but when you're actually at the show, you completely forget about what you want them to play - you're just immersed in the show, captivated by GD's performance and surrounded by thousands of other people who are there for the same reason as you are. It's like you're surrounded by a giant GD family!  Green Day could literally stand there for 2.5 hours on stage doing nothing and I'd be all over it! I love how this tour has been stripped back a little production-wise, so you're just focused on the band and whatever they're playing (even KFAD!). The fact that they are really enjoying the tour and are just so energetic each night makes it a thousand times better! :lol:

I hate myself for picking my own gig instead of the Green Day show that came to Ottawa on this tour. Was the day of my birthday July 17, 2009. The set on setlistfm looks wicked but I got to open for Black Label Society in Toronto instead so that was cool. Still, I missed Coming Clean live!! Was a tour I will probably always kick myself for missing. :dry:

14 hours ago, crock6000 said:

If I'm being honest, some of the songs that he was completely into at the beginning, the current charters like Still Breathing, from the video I've seen on the European tour, it look like he's getting bored with it  and thats never good.  He was loving singing that song at the Palladium.

I agree with a lot you wrote and I always trust your opinion, but I just don't agree with your theory that BJ gets bored of singing Still Breathing. :P I know I said it before and I'll say it again, but I just feel like I need to defend him in that case because at the two shows of the European tour I went to, SB was definitely the emotional highlight. The way the audience gets involved in that song blew me away, especially considering the fact that it is a brand new song at a time where GD isn't as popular as they were during AI or 21CB (at least in my country).

The kind of unity this song creates is astounding, it really feels like we've all gone through extremely difficult and hard times together, but finally made our way away, and we're still alive, and we celebrate life. I saw people tearing up in the crowd, which I've never seen before. I was close enough to see that Billie was really happy about the way people were involved and sang along (of course I have no clue what he actually thinks or feels, but it seemed like it).

So I'll probably agree with you that he found a routine for that song, but he's far away from bored, at least in my opinion. I think it's always different to hear a new song when it's performed for the first few times before they have a routine, but that doesn't neccessarily mean it gets worse once they've found it :)

21 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

I only saw them once during 21CB tour and that show in Mainz will always have a special place in my heart because it was just a perfect day in general; the people I went with, the supporting acts, the weather, and GD blowing us away with a 3-hour-plus-show that felt like it was from out of space. But I absolutely love the RevRad era and I think they are on top of their energy right now, everything feels so unforced and happy. Oh and KYE really grew on me as an opener, I think it's rad :D

Mainz. :wub:

On 23/02/2017 at 7:08 PM, Second favourite son said:

I'm gutted I missed my chance to see Green Day on the 21CB tour, was so close to buying tickets for it but the dates didn't work.  It looked absolutely amazing, and I'm not surprised many on here think it was their best.

The O2 show (and from the look of things most of the RevRad tour) was absolutely awesome, but there were definitely a few things missing:

• Trilogy
  • Most of 21CB
  • Insomniac
  • Variety, to a degree

Now, don't get me wrong, the setlist was amazing, I loved the general production, and the show was one of the best experiences of my life.  But I still would've made a couple of changes.

• Swap KYE and some of the medley out for a couple of the better 21CB songs (21 guns, EJN, even 21CB)
  • Swap out some of AI and Dookie for a couple of trilogy songs (Brutal love and 21 guns could form a mid show acoustic mini-break, would love missing you as well) and at least GSB from insomniac
  • Introduce a little more variety - I'm not expecting a totally different setlist every night, but if there were 2 or 3 different songs each night that would put them miles ahead of many other bands without being too taxing (they could even kill 2 birds with one stone and make these the 21CB/trilogy/insomniac songs)

Dont wanna repeat myself, but again, I thought the show was one of the best I've ever been to and an all-round amazing experience - but I want Green Day to be as good as they can be, and those are the changes I'd suggest.  I think the attitudes of the band, the crowd interaction, the use of a catwalk and the pyro/backdrops/lighting were near perfect as they were.

Tbh, I wish Green Day would start playing 6 hour long shows that span most of their discography - even if they put in a little interval; at this point, I think that's the only way they can make everyone happy :P 

Yes, I totally agree with this! If I were choosing the setlist, definitely more 21CB, as it's part of what made those shows so great for me. I like KYE but 21CB was such an amazing opener (slow beginning to allow them to come onstage, mid tempo middle to ease everyone in, then the "my name is no one" second half that makes everyone go crazy. It's fucking great!) that I'm confused as to why KYE was chosen over it. I'd take BOBD over 21 Guns but EJN is awesome and deserves a spot on the setlist. 

I am glad they took out WMUWSE (was never a huge fan) but taking out Brutal Love was sad because it was probably the highlight of my Trilogy show. I love that song so much! I get this feeling GD like to play their songs in full but I'd take a medley of songs over not playing said songs at all. I'm sure Billie could fit a verse and chorus of Brutal Love into the acoustic encore :tired: 

Also where's Brain Stew? WTF. Bring that shit back! Though yeah, I loved when they brought out GSB during one of my 21CB shows...think it was Wembley Stadium? 

I know they love JOS and it is a great song but I think they could swap it for three other songs. Forever Now is a good replacement for it!

2 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I know they love JOS and it is a great song but I think they could swap it for three other songs. Forever Now is a good replacement for it!

They already play Forever Now. I'm the first one to bitch out their repetitive playlist but replacing JOS with Forever Now (if they weren't already playing it) would be like replacing cake with celery. JOS is amazing and despite it's length definitely needs to remain as it is in the top five of their greatest songs for most fans. Forever Now is over 5 mins long and they manage to play both. KFAD live however is about four hours long...they could play Insomniac, Warning and Nimrod if they ditched it or trimmed it.

2 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I know they love JOS KFAD and it is a great song but I think they could swap it for three other songs. Forever Now Anything is a good replacement for it!

6 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

They already play Forever Now. I'm the first one to bitch out their repetitive playlist but replacing JOS with Forever Now (if they weren't already playing it) would be like replacing cake with celery. JOS is amazing and despite it's length definitely needs to remain as it is in the top five of their greatest songs for most fans. Forever Now is over 5 mins long and they manage to play both. KFAD live however is about four hours long...they could play Insomniac, Warning and Nimrod if they ditched it or trimmed it.

JOS is really really good but if they swapped it with FN, Homecoming or American Eulogy in the future, I wouldn't complain. 

KFAD must stay - what would we bitch about if they ditched it?! :o

3 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

EMBRACE KFAD 

like I did! :ga: :banana:

(We should have a Billie wearing leopard thong emoji. For occasions like this.)

Archived