Do you guys think the 21st century breakdown tour was still the best tour?

paperlanterns22

11 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

They already play Forever Now. I'm the first one to bitch out their repetitive playlist but replacing JOS with Forever Now (if they weren't already playing it) would be like replacing cake with celery. JOS is amazing and despite it's length definitely needs to remain as it is in the top five of their greatest songs for most fans. Forever Now is over 5 mins long and they manage to play both. KFAD live however is about four hours long...they could play Insomniac, Warning and Nimrod if they ditched it or trimmed it.

Insomniac really needs more exposure! I'd give anything to hear Stuart and the Ave or Tight Wad Hill live :happy:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

JOS is really really good but if they swapped it with FN, Homecoming or American Eulogy in the future, I wouldn't complain. 

KFAD must stay - what would we bitch about if they ditched it?! :o

EMBRACE KFAD 

like I did! :ga: :banana:

(We should have a Billie wearing leopard thong emoji. For occasions like this.)

You gotta remember I havent seen a RevRad concert yet & the last time I saw KFAD it was SHITE, boring & stale.  I am going to keep an open mind though just for you bitches & @RisingRedWolf & @Wretched & Divine

41 minutes ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

Insomniac really needs more exposure! I'd give anything to hear Stuart and the Ave or Tight Wad Hill live :happy:

I wish I could like this more:)

4 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

You gotta remember I havent seen a RevRad concert yet & the last time I saw KFAD it was SHITE, boring & stale.  I am going to keep an open mind though just for you bitches & @RisingRedWolf & @Wretched & Divine

I wish I could like this more:)

I would have liked your post except for the last comment.  I just couldn't like that.  Yes, KFAD is much better this tour, from what I have seen and JOS is just stale.  I would rather they replace it with Homecoming.

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I would have liked your post except for the last comment.  I just couldn't like that.  Yes, KFAD is much better this tour, from what I have seen and JOS is just stale.  I would rather they replace it with Homecoming.

You really need to give Insomniac a go - listen to it with the lyric book - that will help you understand what BJ is saying:lol:

4 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

You really need to give Insomniac a go - listen to it with the lyric book - that will help you understand what BJ is saying:lol:

I have listened to it, alot.  Like I said, it is not that I don't like it, it is just nothing special to me.  It all sounds exactly the same and it is all just 3 chord power chord songs.  They are better than that.   

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I have listened to it, alot.  Like I said, it is not that I don't like it, it is just nothing special to me.  It all sounds exactly the same and it is all just 3 chord power chord songs.  They are better than that.   

I don't know you at all:ermm::lol:

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

JOS is really really good but if they swapped it with FN, Homecoming or American Eulogy in the future, I wouldn't complain. 

KFAD must stay - what would we bitch about if they ditched it?! :o

EMBRACE KFAD 

like I did! :ga: :banana:

(We should have a Billie wearing leopard thong emoji. For occasions like this.)

Yeah!

KFAD/Shout doesn't take that long when you consider it's two whole songs plus covers, and it's different to everything else in the show. When there's seven American Idiot songs (over half the album) on the setlist I think it's clear which album should be first to have a couple of songs sacrificed :P 

2 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't get it, you want them to play the same song twice? As I've already pointed out they already play Forever Now :ermm:

3 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

They already play Forever Now. I'm the first one to bitch out their repetitive playlist but replacing JOS with Forever Now (if they weren't already playing it) would be like replacing cake with celery. JOS is amazing and despite it's length definitely needs to remain as it is in the top five of their greatest songs for most fans. Forever Now is over 5 mins long and they manage to play both. KFAD live however is about four hours long...they could play Insomniac, Warning and Nimrod if they ditched it or trimmed it.

I know they already play it, I was at the o2 gig too :P what I meant was they could drop JOS and have Forever Now as a replacement in the set, instead of playing both. I don't really think it's a top live song for most people, but I know it's Billies pride and joy and it probably won't get dropped. But it's so long, they could put three more songs in its place! KFAD is shorter than its been in the past so it's an improvement :lol: 

3 hours ago, Tinkle said:

How dare you :tired::P 

Insomniac has the absolute greatest three chord songs ever. They all have their own special heavy sound. I just love the angry shit!

1 hour ago, Jenn. said:

I know they already play it, I was at the o2 gig too :P what I meant was they could drop JOS and have Forever Now as a replacement in the set, instead of playing both. I don't really think it's a top live song for most people, but I know it's Billies pride and joy and it probably won't get dropped. But it's so long, they could put three more songs in its place! KFAD is shorter than its been in the past so it's an improvement :lol: 

How dare you :tired::P 

As much as I love Forever Now, ditching JOS for it wouldn't be a very clever move in my opinion considering JOS was a single and as a song is probably considered superior by most people. I would personally be quite sad to lose that song but KFAD I could probably do without. I also think playing a full cover of one bands song instead of their little snippets would be better, and yes I have already taken Knowledge into consideration but as it was featured on one of the bands earlier albums I don't consider it a cover in the typical sense.

It's been a while since we've heard "I Fought the Law" or "We are the Champions" and I think Green Day play amazing covers of those songs.

My Generation was the best. Would love to hear that cover. Especially in light of the 25th Anniversary of Kerplunk.Yeah it's a bonus recording but, still included on it. Knowledge is way overdone at this point.

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah!

KFAD/Shout doesn't take that long when you consider it's two whole songs plus covers, and it's different to everything else in the show. When there's seven American Idiot songs (over half the album) on the setlist I think it's clear which album should be first to have a couple of songs sacrificed :P 

Yes, exactly. And if Tré played one of his songs after his dance, I'd be on cloud 9.

For instance, I'm not into Holiday. I'd rather hear EJN or Say Goodbye.

8 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I don't get it, you want them to play the same song twice? As I've already pointed out they already play Forever Now :ermm:

I meant they could put FN into the encore and dump JOS. Alternatively, they might actually play FN twice. It still wouldn't be as stale and oveplayed. :)

6 hours ago, RisingRedWolf said:

As much as I love Forever Now, ditching JOS for it wouldn't be a very clever move in my opinion considering JOS was a single and as a song is probably considered superior by most people. I would personally be quite sad to lose that song but KFAD I could probably do without. I also think playing a full cover of one bands song instead of their little snippets would be better, and yes I have already taken Knowledge into consideration but as it was featured on one of the bands earlier albums I don't consider it a cover in the typical sense.

It's been a while since we've heard "I Fought the Law" or "We are the Champions" and I think Green Day play amazing covers of those songs.

They've ditched loads of singles. They ditched 21 Guns and it was one of their biggest selling songs, same with WMUWSE! So I don't think that's much of a factor. I think it's just because they love the song too much to cut it (Billie did say he never tires of playing it). But I'd rather hear other songs in its place. 

I actually don't think they should do any covers at all :lol: they have enough songs to do a medley of their own stuff during KFAD. 

The first time I went to a Green Day concert was in the 21stCB era so in my opinion yes, it was one of the most beautiful tour ever! Setlist and scenography were awesome, BUT, this Rev Rad tour, oh guys, it's so fucking emotional and full of energy. 

Considering that in 2009 I was just 8 years old, I don't know exactly how the 21CB tour was. :lol:

By the way, talking about the setlist, there is NO doubt. 21CB is an "epic" album, as someone said before. Songs like 21CB itself, EJN, The Static Age and 21 Guns are just perfect for a live show, as they have the ability to be emotional, powerful and fun. Again, in one word: "epic". And the only thing you want at a concert is everything to be "epic".

This aside, from what I can see on YT videos the production was amazing, but despite what the majority says here, I think it was almost exaggerated, being even a weak point of the entire tour. Screens, scenic design and too much pyro/bangs could distract you from the real core of the show: music.

Also, today, in 2017, I feel so bad that BJ, just 3 years after the 21CB would have lost control for alcohol and pills, starting his rehab. Honestly, I think this "new" BJ is way better than the 2009/2012 one. Maybe he has a less precise voice, he's a bit older (who would say that), but I know he's fine. That's the first thing to have fun.

In my opinion, this tour, the RevRad tour, can be described with just one word: balanced. Special effects, such as bangs are not so many and perfectly timed (Forever Now, Bang Bang, KYE), BJ is finally fine again, and everything is perfect. As the Romans used to say "in medio stat virtus". My opinion cannot be different. RevRad is my favorite tour, after all. :)

The only live gig that I've been to is on the Rev Rad tour. But purely looking at YouTube footage, I agree that the 21st Century tour was the best- that's not to say that the Rev Rad tour was bad (my gig was awesome) but I'd say that the 21st Century tour was the best based on the setlists as it had more variation on its setlists than the Rev Rad setlists.

The only changes that I would make to the Rev Rad tour would be to add something from 21st Century Breakdown (i.e the title track or EJN), something off Kerplunk and/or Insomniac, and something off the Trilogy. This would give the setlist a bit more coverage of the GD era's. Having said that, I was still happy with the setlist I got even if I think they could've made these changes to it. I'd give the setlist for my gig a 9.5 out of 10 as there were a lot of great songs on it.... but it would've been a 10/10 with the changes I mentioned above.

I really liked the pyro during the gigs as it was enough but without being over-the-top. All of the pyro was well timed and didn't distract from the music.

I will also reiterate just how good GD were during my concert. GD are regularly mentioned as one of the best live bands around and they didn't disappoint- they put on an outstanding display of world-class showmanship and it was a joy to see them. Tre Cool: a clown-like green-haired drumstick throwing man-child with some pretty impressive drumming. Mike Dirnt: black vest wearing, no-nonsense, bass-playing genius. BJA: half-frontman half-rock and roll circus ringleader, his vocals sounded really good and he was entertaining to watch, too. The big three also sounded good and all of the musicians had great chemistry between them onstage.

There are too many songs to mention, but some of my highlights were Bang Bang, Rev Rad, Letterbomb, BOBD, Armatage Shanks, Still Breathing, FN, American Idiot, Good Riddance. I really hope they keep Still Breathing and Forever Now together on the setlist because they work so well together and Billie sounded so emotional during SB. I was also pleased that the only European gig that Armitage Shanks was played was my gig.. I think they should play it more, though.

I really wish I could travel back in time to see the gig all over again!!

2 hours ago, End Of The World said:

Considering that in 2009 I was just 8 years old, I don't know exactly how the 21CB tour was. :lol:

By the way, talking about the setlist, there is NO doubt. 21CB is an "epic" album, as someone said before. Songs like 21CB itself, EJN, The Static Age and 21 Guns are just perfect for a live show, as they have the ability to be emotional, powerful and fun. Again, in one word: "epic". And the only thing you want at a concert is everything to be "epic".

This aside, from what I can see on YT videos the production was amazing, but despite what the majority says here, I think it was almost exaggerated, being even a weak point of the entire tour. Screens, scenic design and too much pyro/bangs could distract you from the real core of the show: music.

Also, today, in 2017, I feel so bad that BJ, just 3 years after the 21CB would have lost control for alcohol and pills, starting his rehab. Honestly, I think this "new" BJ is way better than the 2009/2012 one. Maybe he has a less precise voice, he's a bit older (who would say that), but I know he's fine. That's the first thing to have fun.

In my opinion, this tour, the RevRad tour, can be described with just one word: balanced. Special effects, such as bangs are not so many and perfectly timed (Forever Now, Bang Bang, KYE), BJ is finally fine again, and everything is perfect. As the Romans used to say "in medio stat virtus". My opinion cannot be different. RevRad is my favorite tour, after all. :)

Yeah, I agree with you almost point by point. 

I think in terms of setlist, the 21st Century Breakdown Tour probably has the upper hand, to sum it up, it had:

-a great opener

-a mix of high energy songs and ballads, both new and old 

-lots of variety (on some shows, definitely not all it has to be said, they did have a formula that they stuck to)

-more spontaneous crowd involvement and a overall more relaxed and even daring Billie (this did sometimes go to far though). 

When it comes to production, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the tour production very much fitted the album, it was, as you said, epic. But I think it's also important to mention that it was in some ways even ''over the top''or exaggerated, as you say. 

I think that the video screen backdrop worked very well for the new songs and I think the overall styling was superb. To give you a few examples, I really liked the darker background, the skyline, the fire and flames during KYE, the lighting, the pyros etc. However, I think the same video screen didn't work at all well with older 90's songs, or even AI songs, it was often distracting and annoying. In my opinion, those songs required a good old fashioned ''concert curtain'' / backdrop, more like in the 90s or like during the AI tour.

What the RevRad production team tried to do (and did kind achieve to do), was to have a good mix of modern effects and backdrops for the new songs and old fashioned backdrops for their older stuff.

The backdrops used for the older songs for this tour are amazing and I also think the lighting, pyro and other special effects work really well for some newer songs like ''Still Breathing'' and ''Forever Now''. In those aspects, the slight cut-down on tour production was definitely a huge positive.

However, the first part of the show is a bit lackluster, which is mostly down to these things:

• not a very good opener: it isn't very distinctive and innovative and most of all, it isn't a song from the album. However, Revolution Radio as an album doesn't really seem to offer an opening song which is as good as 21st CB or even AI, especially when played after the recycled intro of the 99 revolutions tour. If they'd come up with a new intro, they could have maybe used a song from the album itself and it might have worked well as an opener: Bang Bang, Revolution Radio and Somewhere Now would have been all good candidates... 

• lackluster production: I've gone into more detail on the ''Revolution Radio Tour Production'' thread, but I'll give you a quick run down: In my opinion, the burning radio backdrop is the weakest of the three. They should have tried to come up with something better and new, some way to make the radio seem more dynamic and the flames more alive. I do know though that they were quite restricted, because they opted to go without video screen backdrop (which I will say again, is a good thing for the older songs!), but I think they might have come up with something else none the less. They try to do this a bit with the flames during the chorus of Revolution Radio, but Bang Bang didn't receive much of that treatment and both songs were kind of screaming for something more dramatic like a video screen burning radio (like at KROQ's AAC) or maybe even a real one, I don't know...

In conclusion I'll say that, in many ways, the Revolution Radio tour is a more down to earth and balanced version of the 21st Century Breakdown tour, simply slightly let down by cut-down production for the first few songs and a pretty lackluster setlist in parts (especially the opener and the lack of variety when it comes to the older songs). It is, however, massively better than the 99 revolutions tour. 

I've seen all their tours except the early indie days (never saw them in a garage or basement which is a shame I must say).

This kind of like deciding whether it's better to be a billionaire or multi-billionaire but here goes; it's kind of cliche, but to me the current tour is the best.

I saw them twice on the recent US club run and I was so appreciative- after all the shit Billie and the band went through, to know how close we were to this not happening ever again- well, during Still Breathing it was hard to keep a dry eye, I'll put it that way. All the shows I've seen have been amazing in their own way, but with rehab, etc. in the rear view mirror there's something really special about this tour. Yeah, I know, it's corny and everything, but this whole album and tour were thisclose to not happening and I just feel so lucky. Sometimes we just have to appreciate how delicate the high wire walk across the thread of existence can be and how meaningful each day really is. To me, this tour is representative of that. 

But they've all been amazing, no doubt. And the 21CB tour was phenomenal as well. I could write a book about how incredible those shows were. 

Archived