How early to arrive at a show?

parisGreenDay

I am seeing Green Day in texas  in 10 days:runaround:! It will be my first GD show and I am nervous about how early we should get there in order to get  barrier. i was thinking that arriving 2 hours early would be ok, but I'm wondering if there will be tons of people there already! How early have all of you arrived at your GD shows in the past and how close were you able to get? is it a mad house getting in? I'm super small so I'm really hoping to be able to get to the front, is that going to be possible? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, parisGreenDay said:

I am seeing Green Day in texas  in 10 days:runaround:! It will be my first GD show and I am nervous about how early we should get there in order to get  barrier. i was thinking that arriving 2 hours early would be ok, but I'm wondering if there will be tons of people there already! How early have all of you arrived at your GD shows in the past and how close were you able to get? is it a mad house getting in? I'm super small so I'm really hoping to be able to get to the front, is that going to be possible? 

which show? 

and depends on the venue check their website or call them 2 hours should be ok 

I've waited outside for a day, slept outside etc. I've never made it to the barrier because many places have many entries, so you could get unlucky and get the entrance that opens last. 

If the pit is important to you, show up at least a couple of hours in advance. 

Moved to Green Day Chat :) 

You'd have to arrive earlier than that to get barrier, there's always going to be some people there early in the morning (or even camping out) who get the best places. I've always arrived around midday and ended up in good places, not as good as barrier (apart from one time when I was right over to the side on it) but a couple of rows back usually. If you arrive 2 hours early you'll be able to find a decent place (loads of people will arrive later, and there's really a lot of room reasonably near the front when it's such a big stage) but if being as close to the front as possible is important to you I'd get there as early as you can.

As for getting in I guess it depends on the venue but in my experience they like to keep at as organised and calm as they can, letting a certain amount of people in at a time with no running. When there's more than one entrance you can have bad luck based on which one they open first but generally it's going to be the people at the front of the queue go in first and the people at the back go last, and you just have to do what the security asks and head towards the best spot you can see when you get inside.

I'd definitely go earlier than two hours before doors, even if queuing isn't a big thing there. Early morning will give you the best shot at front row for most US arena shows.

The getting in experience depends on the venue and location. Some venues are super organised and deal with crazy fans really well, but others don't deal with it well at all and it can be a total mess. It could go either way so be prepared for the worst and then if it's a good experience it'll be a nice surprise.

Europe is a different matter but I arrived at 7:30am and didn't get barrier. No, 2 hours earlier would definitely not be enough

I think it's going to be hard to predict this US arena  tour because of the VIP thing. When we were there back in 2013 for the 99 Revolutions arena tour in the US no one camped and 8 am would have guaranteed a spot on the barrier but I guess we'll find out next month with the first few shows if only those with VIP tickets will get barricade or not.

2 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

I'd definitely go earlier than two hours before doors, even if queuing isn't a big thing there. Early morning will give you the best shot at front row for US arena shows.

The getting in experience depends on the venue and location. Some venues are super organised and deal with crazy fans really well, but others don't deal with it well at all and it can be a total mess. It could go either way so be prepared for the worst and then if it's a good experience it'll be a nice surprise.

Absolutely depends on the venue and how organised they are too.

I think it depends on the city. I'm doing GA at 4 shows in 3 different cities, and I'm pretty chill about getting there around 9-10am in two of those cities, and stressed to hell that 7am isn't going to cut it in the third even though it's the earliest I'm able to get there. But I'd never dream of arriving two hours before doors and hoping to get barrier for an arena show, that's for sure :ninja:

10 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

which show? 

and depends on the venue check their website or call them 2 hours should be ok 

it will be the EL Paso show at the Coliseum 

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Moved to Green Day Chat :) 

You'd have to arrive earlier than that to get barrier, there's always going to be some people there early in the morning (or even camping out) who get the best places. I've always arrived around midday and ended up in good places, not as good as barrier (apart from one time when I was right over to the side on it) but a couple of rows back usually. If you arrive 2 hours early you'll be able to find a decent place (loads of people will arrive later, and there's really a lot of room reasonably near the front when it's such a big stage) but if being as close to the front as possible is important to you I'd get there as early as you can.

As for getting in I guess it depends on the venue but in my experience they like to keep at as organised and calm as they can, letting a certain amount of people in at a time with no running. When there's more than one entrance you can have bad luck based on which one they open first but generally it's going to be the people at the front of the queue go in first and the people at the back go last, and you just have to do what the security asks and head towards the best spot you can see when you get inside.

its going to be the El Paso show at the Coliseum. I would totally camp out if i could but my mom is going with me :ermm:and she would definitely not allow that:lol:.  I'm going to try to convince her to get there earlier then 2 hours now! thanks!

I queued for 8 hours in Leeds and got second row. Queued for 4 hours in London and was a bit further back (two or three rows back from the end of the catwalk) so still a good spot. You can get a good spot whatever time you turn up if you're lucky. If you aim towards the sides of the stage it's probably easier to get closer, as most people naturally tend to settle on a central front facing view. 

n minus 5 minutes, where n equals the time Green Day is on. Then just push and kick your way to the barrier.

It entirely depends on your luck. I've camped overnight at Brixton and got second row. Queued from 8am at Shepherds Bush and got barrier. Queued from 8am at Emirates and got second row waaaay over on Jasons side. BUT queued at 3pm in London the other week and got barrier on the runway right at the end. Best possible spot. It is just luck and picking the best places to shimmy about in the crucial seconds when the doors open. Those are just a few examples. I also managed to get to second row at Reading festival from near the back by getting into a giant circle pit which made it's way right to the front during some crap band early in the day :lol: Basically take every possible opportunity! 

I've got barrier for 3 Green Day concerts and was able to stay at the barrier for the full concert. All of those times I was in the queue at about 9am. Ive got the 2nd row multiple times too but ended up much further back by the end of the concert. If you don't get the barrier it can be a real battle to stay in the one position. You get shoved and kicked and pulled in every direction, which can be fun too.

42 minutes ago, Joey said:

n minus 5 minutes, where n equals the time Green Day is on. Then just push and kick your way to the barrier.

I give rude looks toward people like you. Wait, no i don't. During those times I think "if I were a real man I'd give this guy dirty looks". 

51 minutes ago, Joey said:

I elbow people like you in the balls. Just so you know. 

11 minutes ago, Andres said:

I give rude looks toward people like you. Wait, no i don't. During those times I think "if I were a real man I'd give this guy dirty looks". 

I'd give them dirty looks for you

3 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I elbow people like you in the balls. Just so you know. 

Hey, obnoxious pricks have feelings too, y'know.

For the record, I have never pushed my way through a crowd to the barrier - I dwell way back near the bars and toilets. However, if I wanted to stand there that is what I would do. Camping out is certifiably insane.

The only thing I can think when I see the people who camped out going in is how there's going to be a load of people in almost exactly as good places as them who rolled up at a comfortable time that morning. Like in London we were looking at the no doubt exhausted people leaving their duvets to go in and saying oh wow we're right behind them and we only turned up at lunch time lol. I suppose if you have your heart set on barrier it's your best bet though.

7 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Europe is a different matter but I arrived at 7:30am and didn't get barrier. No, 2 hours earlier would definitely not be enough

I arrived 3 hours before entrance and got barrier. It's why I'd never camp out for a show. In the end, it all comes down to luck and how the venue is organized. 

I arrived after the doors were open when I went to my last GD show and made my way to the front just through the natural movement of the pit (no elbows or aggressiveness, so don't kill me). The crowd is constantly moving, so even if you get there hours ahead of time you won't even necessarily get a better spot than someone who didn't wait for say like 6 hours. But if you want a hands on the barricade position, and don't want to risk the chance of not getting it, arriving super early might be your best bet from what others are saying. 

Also, dope, I'll be at the same show. 

In 2009 when their tour was in Belfast, UK I arrived 2-3 hours early and got to the front row. I'm hoping to do the same this year!

Archived