Green Day rumored to play Glastonbury 2017

desertrose

Glastonbury 2017 - Green Day performance hinted at by respected festival source

In just a few months you could be watching Green Day rocking out at Glastonbury, according to one trusted source.

Mystery surrounds who will be performing on the festival's Other Stage, but website eFestivals reckon Green Day will take to it on Sunday, June 25 – the final day of the festival.

The American punk rock band rose to fame in the early nineties with its major label debut Dookie. It then had a major resurgence in 2004 with the hugely successful American Idiot album.

The band, which has won five Grammy awards, is touring this year with its new album Revolution Radio.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/glastonbury-2017-green-day-performance-hinted-at-by-respected-festival-source/story-30103567-detail/story.html#ggZDjeg4i1Pvz7oM.99

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how often they are rumoured fur Glasto but they will be in UK for 1 July this year so at least it sounds possible when often these claims don't.

I want this to be true. I won't be able to go to their show personally, but I think it's good publicity and we'd likely also get some pro-shot recordings from Glastonbury as well, which is good, given this tour's lack of other large festivals (such as Reading, Rock Am Ring), where we could expect live coverage.

However, they'd have to go from Germany to England in one day, it's possible, but certainly not relaxing...

I can't see them playing BST and this, hey come to Glastonbury and see a headliner who's playing their own headline set in a few days. 

10 hours ago, MilleniumFan said:

However, they'd have to go from Germany to England in one day, it's possible, but certainly not relaxing...

Not only that, but get to England, play Glastonbury, fly to Northern Ireland, drive down to Ireland, then fly back to England!

8 hours ago, Justin said:

I can't see them playing BST and this, hey come to Glastonbury and see a headliner who's playing their own headline set in a few days. 

I can't see it either, but who knows??

I don't think it's even possible for their trucks to drive from the south of Germany to Scotland over night, is it? Plus they'd be playing three days in a row, not likely...

Aren't there certain agreements and laws about playing festivals? Like if you play a large festival you can't play a large headliner within the same area, or something like that. And I'm sure they are billed as a BST exclusive so I doubt it personally.

5 hours ago, Jenn. said:

Not only that, but get to England, play Glastonbury, fly to Northern Ireland, drive down to Ireland, then fly back to England!

I can't see it either, but who knows??

Yeah, was forgetting the NI/Irish dates, don't see this happening on reflection.  Guess it's hopeful thinking as Glastonbury good tv coverage.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently BBC mentioned Green Day as being in the Glastonbury lineup when they announced Foo Fighters today, then the article was taken down. Not sure of what to make of that.

On 02/02/2017 at 11:17 AM, sara_gd said:

I don't think it's even possible for their trucks to drive from the south of Germany to Scotland over night, is it? Plus they'd be playing three days in a row, not likely...

Scotland? Glastonburys in the south of England 

Still a long trip though, especially if you include the possibility of getting held up at the border, as it has happened in the summer before...

43 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Scotland? Glastonburys in the south of England 

Really? Why was I so convinced it's in Scotland?... :lol: 

5 hours ago, sara_gd said:

Really? Why was I so convinced it's in Scotland?... :lol: 

Glasgow and Glastonbury sound similar :lol:

Ed Sheeran and Green Day confirmed for Glastonbury by accident by the BBC?

With everyone rocking out to Foo Fighters in Frome amid the announcement that the band will headline Glastonbury Festival did Ed Sheeran and Greenday get confirmed for Glastonbury by accident by the BBC?

All eyes were on the least secret secret gig of the year where rock giants Foo Fighters announced they will be performing at this year's festival and the BBC were covering the event online.

But when they did a round up of who has been confirmed so far they seemed to confirm one to many bands, including Ed Sheeran and Green Day.

They later amended their copy to say : ' A previous version of this story mistakenly said Ed Sheeran and Green Day have also been confirmed. This is an error and was not based on any official sources.'

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/ed-sheeran-and-greenday-confirmed-for-glastonbury-by-accident-by-the-bbc/story-30162741-detail/story.html#rrJEXbMLRv66w8I1.99

On 26/02/2017 at 3:09 PM, crock6000 said:

Yeah, but there is logistical possibilities this year but I would be surprised.  The rumors are true if that makes any sense.  There is a discussion but considering they are headlining about 50 festivals in the UK and Europe this year, I would be surprised but not totally.

For me, there is no better trek than Glos.  If you're from the states and been thinking of checking out a classic festival, this is the one.  I would imagine they are negotiating for the diamond stage.  After all they did sell out the United Emirates in record time and amounts with 60k but they are already playing heading events like BST (which is also an AMAZING show).  The three best European festivals are PinkPop (#1 by far), Glos, Isle of Wight, and BST, in that order.  If you have never experienced a PinkPop, you are missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures and getting outside of the world of rock and into EDM, you can't get much better than Tomorrow Land in Belgium.  It's beauty is enough to take you on it's  own.  I still find it crazy that I guy I've known for 25 years named "Disco Donnie" who I used to throw shows with for a couple thousand people owns this event:

If you want an out of body experience, go to Belgium's Tomorrow Land: (hint, DO NOT go to it's sister event Tomorrow World (copyright) in Atlanta.  It has sucked, but here, have a look and try to imagine not having fun here.  Sorry for the tangent:

I will be in Europe for about 1 month this summer and I could dig it if GD could play the Diamond Stage at Glossy.  That would be pretty sick.  I always thought they would fit in even better at Isle of Wight but the cool thing about Gloss is that they always like good music but I don't think I can ever forgive that crowd for giving no love to The Gorlliaz after U2 had to cancel and they were last minute replaced with a then brand new Plastic Beach which ended up becoming one of the greatest albums of all time and they were just about to start that tour so they played their highly produced show at the diamond stage in front of 400k people.

I can promise you this, it's a true rumor. ;)  It is not confirmed at all.

I think literally everything you have said is wrong.

I think it's unlikely, Ed Sheeran is by far bigger and there's already a "rock" act in FFs.

@crock6000 I'm well aware how quickly the O2 sold out (i misssed out on tickets) but I dont think GD have the hype around them in the UK to headline Glastonbury. A band like FF is one people seem to care more about than GD. For example with the Glastonbury announcement and when Wembley was cancelled it was all over the radio and TV and it was a HUGE deal. I'm not saying no one would care if GD headlined, but there was no big hype train when say the O2 sold out whereas there is over here for pretty much anything Foo related and it's the same for Ed Sheeran, so I can't see GD headlining.

13 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Two things: First that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion but how can you "literally think everything" I said is wrong when a portion of it was objective (Can't be wrong unless it is actually wrong so tell me what objective thing I said that was wrong), and the rest of it is completely subjective (opinion) and therefore has NO WAY of being wrong because it's opinion.

The only thing that is "wrong" is that they are headlining 50 festivals, etc but I think we can agree that that is hyperbole and therefore doesn't really fall into the wrong category.  So how is literally everything I said wrong?  Remember now, I could say that "Air Supply is the best band in the entire world" and that can never be "wrong".  Not sure what you're on about anyway. 

Also, and FTR, I just scanned the post and didn't see that the BBC made a mistake, I thought it was just a leak from the someone at the BBC at a glance.

Also, FTR, I have seen Foo Fighters many many times and while they put on a rocking fucking show, and for my car, they are better, but for a live show, Green Day would turn Glos out better than the Foo Fighters.  It doesn't get much better than Grohl.

And name the festival better than PinkPop?  Also logistically it does make sense.  Where they will be and what they have open makes sense.  Literally everything is wrong?  You want to think that over?

I don't disagree that they could headline, or frankly should headline the diamond stage but The Gorillaz did when U2 cancelled and they had a lot less hype around Plastik Beach when they headlined the diamond stage in lieu of U2 than Green Day does for RevRad so your logic while not completely unsound is not without precedent to the contrary.

Yes but plastic beach were a replacement so the organisers would've had less of a choice in who they could get so that's not really a good example. Gorillaz are really popular over here man, particularly when they were regularly putting stuff out. We'll have to agree to disagree here but I don't think they'll be considered "big" enough to headline, I'll happily eat my words if they do, it'd be awesome.

Also, FF at Glastonbury will be incredible, can pretty much guarantee there'll be some great guests (Page and John Paul Jones?!) 

It seems more likely that it was a leak than an accidental article with the wrong artists (how can a mistake like that be made?). But I'd still be surprised with a GD announcement since they're already headlining BST a week later (plus flying to Ireland for two other headline shows in between). And especially as the Foo Fighters have been announced.

The roumors say Green Day would headline the Other Stage, and Ed Sheeran would headline the Pyramid Stage. Also BST hasn't announced that they have GD on festival exclusive (they did it for The Killers). 

1 hour ago, Digoco said:

The roumors say Green Day would headline the Other Stage, and Ed Sheeran would headline the Pyramid Stage. Also BST hasn't announced that they have GD on festival exclusive (they did it for The Killers). 

I can't imagine Green Day playing Glastonbury and not being on the pyramid stage, they're far too big a band to play anywhere else at the festival.  Your second point, however, is something I cant fail to notice - what festival would they play though, given that their schedule this summer is getting pretty tight?  That said, I don't think Glastonbury is the right fit for Green Day, or vice versa. 

9 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I can't imagine Green Day playing Glastonbury and not being on the pyramid stage, they're far too big a band to play anywhere else at the festival.  Your second point, however, is something I cant fail to notice - what festival would they play though, given that their schedule this summer is getting pretty tight?  That said, I don't think Glastonbury is the right fit for Green Day, or vice versa. 

Well, would not being a festival exclusive mean they had to play another one? I don't know the specifics of being an exclusive but maybe they just negotiated it for the Killers to sell more tickets? If it's a UK exclusive, maybe Green Day being part of Belsonic in Belfast counts as a festival (they're at the Belsonic venue but not on the Belsonic website, so I'm not sure if they're actually part of the festival or not :lol: )

1 hour ago, Jenn. said:

Well, would not being a festival exclusive mean they had to play another one? I don't know the specifics of being an exclusive but maybe they just negotiated it for the Killers to sell more tickets? If it's a UK exclusive, maybe Green Day being part of Belsonic in Belfast counts as a festival (they're at the Belsonic venue but not on the Belsonic website, so I'm not sure if they're actually part of the festival or not :lol: )

I presume that BST will have paid The Killers more as an incentive to play only at BST - although Green Day aren't stated as an exclusive, it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't, just means they haven't been paid off to guarantee it.  At least that's the way I see it.

31 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I presume that BST will have paid The Killers more as an incentive to play only at BST - although Green Day aren't stated as an exclusive, it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't, just means they haven't been paid of to guarantee it.  At least that's the way I see it.

Yeah, that seems likely. As in Green Day can play other festivals but it doesn't necessarily mean they will.  

Archived