Green Day on Guitar World Magazine (March 2017 issue).

MaraGreenDay

12 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I was thinking this. But at the same time, I think the Trilogy is a monster to sum up. Just like it's difficult for some fans to pinpoint their feelings on it, it's tough for the band to articulate how they feel about that part of their catalog. It was proliferation for the sake of it, but it also had a lot of great material. They seem like they had fun making it (or at least part of it), but the promotion aspect was when everything became unhinged. It's probably an extremely mixed bag in terms of their emotions surrounding it—some interviews might bring out certain feelings, while others who phrase the question about it differently might get a different answer. On one hand, they want to defend their work—I think Tre even said in an interview that he hopes in time, it'll be better thought-of. On the other hand, they don't want to make it sound like it was the best point in their lives or careers, and recognize how their obsessive tendencies and crazy work ethic surrounding the Trilogy led to their eventual breakdown. When they talk about it, I often hear Tre talking about the positive aspects of it, Mike more concerned with how it impacted them emotionally, and Billie kinda torn between appreciating the work that went into it but also admitting he wasn't in a good headspace while making it.

I think it's just a tough subject.

Yeah, it's definitely a tough and complex subject. I don't doubt Tré had much fun recording it (particularly the third eponymous record), whilst it was painful for Mike to see his friend succumb to the consequences of his exacerbating substance abuse. Of course Billie was in the center of it, but his memories of that time are probably a lot fuzzier than Mike's or Tré's. It's just intriguing how much the tone of the question seemingly determines the connotation of the answer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the interview. LOVE what he says about Outlaws and what he says about writing about his parents and family. And yes what he says about the trilogy, I was feeling kind of down for what they've said on other interviews about it, cause I love those records, and I totally get their feelings, but this time his answer make made feel better lol. 

Spoiler

Gosh that picture where he's all in black, damn. He looks gorgeous in all those pics :wub:

8 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

Going to grab it next time I'm out. Are there any songs in it?

There aren't any GD songs.  

3 hours ago, Dakke said:

Just go to a link that works and then navigate left and right. That should work :)

Ok, thanks

12 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think I fixed the links now.  Try it again

Thanks, very kind of you!

3 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think I fixed the links now.  Try it again

Woo Hoo!  Thanks.

On 1/24/2017 at 1:21 PM, stories and songs said:

I was thinking this. But at the same time, I think the Trilogy is a monster to sum up. Just like it's difficult for some fans to pinpoint their feelings on it, it's tough for the band to articulate how they feel about that part of their catalog. It was proliferation for the sake of it, but it also had a lot of great material. They seem like they had fun making it (or at least part of it), but the promotion aspect was when everything became unhinged. It's probably an extremely mixed bag in terms of their emotions surrounding it—some interviews might bring out certain feelings, while others who phrase the question about it differently might get a different answer. On one hand, they want to defend their work—I think Tre even said in an interview that he hopes in time, it'll be better thought-of. On the other hand, they don't want to make it sound like it was the best point in their lives or careers, and recognize how their obsessive tendencies and crazy work ethic surrounding the Trilogy led to their eventual breakdown. When they talk about it, I often hear Tre talking about the positive aspects of it, Mike more concerned with how it impacted them emotionally, and Billie kinda torn between appreciating the work that went into it but also admitting he wasn't in a good headspace while making it.

I think it's just a tough subject.

Totally agree. They probably have a hundred different conflicting emotions about the Trilogy... some positive, some negative and everything in between.

And thank you for these scans, great interview... 

Is this hard to find in stores here in the US? Or can it be ordered online? I haven't been out to look for it yet.

Having a three part triple album released say...one every 6mths, with some sort of consistent concept or story, would be pretty epic.

20 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Having a three part triple album released say...one every 6mths, with some sort of consistent concept or story, would be pretty epic.

Possibly, as long as the quality didn't suffer. However, six months may be too short to do a proper tour for each of them. Each record deserves a proper tour in my opinion. A double album, like Rush's Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres would be enough.

34 minutes ago, Dakke said:

Possibly, as long as the quality didn't suffer. However, six months may be too short to do a proper tour for each of them. Each record deserves a proper tour in my opinion. A double album, like Rush's Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres would be enough.

They'll be touring for like...2yrs for RevRad. Just release the albums throughout the tour.

Holy crap! He's actually in one of the magazines walmart carries! (Too bad they're usually a month or two behind on their stock)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived