Is Green Day receiving more criticism now for their views on Trump than when they released American Idiot?

JardyOfSuburbia

6 minutes ago, T.C said:

Billie did give her a glowing endorsement. See what I referenced a page back 

He's hardly unique in seeing good things about Clinton, and it's hardly a shocker that he'd be for the Democratic candidate. Really though the election is over. Trump is president and Clinton isn't particularly relevant any more.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@T.C They wanted Bernie to win the nomination. After it became clear Hillary was the only person Trump had to beat, many liberals moved over to Hillary because we felt she at least had a career in public service and would continue to carry out what Obama started. I didn't like Hillary and found her questionable, but it wasn't about me, it was about which person would take better care of all Americans. So I chose her, as did they.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

You know that when the country gets a new president they replace the old website with the new one and the old one is put in the archive. That's why there are so many issues still missing because they are still adding them. 

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/issues/civil-rights
https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/

Someone actually spent time on Wayback Machine (a site where you can view outdated versions of websites before they changed / deleted  or else) so I'm just gonna copy that for you:

Spoiler

As of yesterday (I’m on the Wayback Machine), these are the issues that the Obama Administration listed, leading to pages which went into detail about these issues and what the Administration was doing about them.

tumblr_inline_ok40lkXrOm1tef8e5_540.png

Again, that’s from the Obama Administration.

This is the current Issues Tab under the Trump Administration:

tumblr_inline_ok40lklLAh1tef8e5_540.png

No, I haven’t cropped it. That’s it. That’s the entire list. All of those are the issues that Trump’s Administration cares about.

The civil rights page? Gone. Climate change page? Gone. Health care page? Gone. Disabilities page? Gone. It’s all gone. Everything is gone.

They also completely took away all of the pages on Obama’s initiatives, all of the pages on internships and involvement in the White house, all of the pages on different ways to protest (other than the We The People petitions), and for some reason, they even took out most of the pages in the history section. The famous virtual tour? Gone. A detailed history about the architecture, the decor, even theee customs and traditions? Gone.

But here’s the best part.

Most of the ‘Briefing’ section has been cleaned out as well and the tab for weekly addresses has been completely removed.

This was the page Obama had right after he took office after Bush:

tumblr_inline_ok41gaSL6M1r91wdr_540.png

Notice how, even though the website changed overnight, he still put in a huge list of issues including virtually every one listed on the website yesterday?

But wait, there’s more.

I went back and looked at how Bush’s page looked before the Obama Administration changed it. And guess what? Bush had an entire list of issues that resembled the ones listed on the website yesterday.

tumblr_inline_ok41bvszYB1r91wdr_540.png

But wait!

There’s more!

Back when the Internet was new and the webpage was just a bunch of text, Clinton had an entire list of issues like the ones listed on the website yesterday.

tumblr_inline_ok41bvQseM1r91wdr_540.png

So, no, this isn’t something that always happens. The website changes but the issues have always stayed the same and they’ve always been prominently displayed.

Until now.

8 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Directly copied from his website:

It's nicely packaged, but in the end homophobic and transphobic parents decide to admit their children to these institutions

Yes, he supports 'changing' behaviour. Even if it's not electric therapy, it's still a gross way of thinking. And is it still up there on his website? Yikes 

12 minutes ago, Hermione said:

He's hardly unique in seeing good things about Clinton, and it's hardly a shocker that he'd be for the Democratic candidate. Really though the election is over. Trump is president and Clinton isn't particularly relevant any more.

And as I said, what's good in a candidate that is so pro-war and was going to cause conflict with a no-fly zone in Syria? 

Yes, it's over, but this topic was about why there is backlash against the band, and I feel their endorsement for someone so vile is the reason. 

5 minutes ago, T.C said:

Yes, he supports 'changing' behaviour. Even if it's not electric therapy, it's still a gross way of thinking. And is it still up there on his website? Yikes 

Not sure I completely got what you mean, but these institutions he mentioned on his website that change "behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus" (aka. homosexuality) literally are conversion therapy. These institutions view homosexuality as a mental illness and plan to "heal you" and make you straight.

"Before the American Psychological Association's 1973 decision to remove homosexuality from the DSM, practitioners of conversion therapy employed aversive conditioning techniques, involving electric shock and nausea-inducing drugs during presentation of same-sex erotic images."

Just now, Billie Hoe said:

Not sure I completely got what you mean, but these institutions he mentioned on his website that change "behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus" (aka. homosexuality) literally are conversion therapy. These institutions view homosexuality as a mental illness and plan to "heal you" and make you straight.

"Before the American Psychological Association's 1973 decision to remove homosexuality from the DSM, practitioners of conversion therapy employed aversive conditioning techniques, involving electric shock and nausea-inducing drugs during presentation of same-sex erotic images."

Oh God, okay snopes got it wrong then 

@T.C I'm not going to argue with you. I understand where you're coming from, and would never claim Hillary was the ideal candidate, even though I voted for her. But I really don't feel like fans are still dropping Green Day because they voted Democrat. That doesn't make much sense to me, especially when all the hate I see on their social media accounts is in regard to their views against Trump. I just doubt many would've been shocked a liberal band from the Bay Area would vote Democrat.

@DookieLukie nailed it. People can disagree all they want obviously everyone's different but this is the mature way of seeing the whole situation.

Also this thread is turning into a Trump discussion again like there haven't been enough of these already.:dry:

Thing is, people still don't care about Green Day. Their spotlight has had to two mild flickers. All you fans begging for Trump to react to some chant or YouTube video are seriously projecting concern for GD onto others. At this point Billie is just coming off as childish and poorly spoken by swearing and screaming (aka saying nothing), and it's turning a lot of fans off. I don't like Trump, mostly lean liberal, etc and I'm not offended by Billie's opinions, but it's kind of childish and whiny in the way he presents them. I mean jeez, Bono is more cool and collected and he's constantly on drugs. Billie's 40+, sober, experienced mind can't find more than chants and fucks to say? He's us to embodying what's wrong with "lalala cant hear you" extremists and it's annoying.

17 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Thing is, people still don't care about Green Day. Their spotlight has had to two mild flickers. All you fans begging for Trump to react to some chant or YouTube video are seriously projecting concern for GD onto others. At this point Billie is just coming off as childish and poorly spoken by swearing and screaming (aka saying nothing), and it's turning a lot of fans off. I don't like Trump, mostly lean liberal, etc and I'm not offended by Billie's opinions, but it's kind of childish and whiny in the way he presents them. I mean jeez, Bono is more cool and collected and he's constantly on drugs. Billie's 40+, sober, experienced mind can't find more than chants and fucks to say? He's us to embodying what's wrong with "lalala cant hear you" extremists and it's annoying.

Man I think there was a time I didn't like your posts (i think you like the trilogy or something?) but lately especially in the whole green day/trump situation you've been expressing my thoughts better than I would in english. Very spot on.

12 hours ago, tdlyon said:

Few reasons.

-The internet is much bigger now than it was during the Bush administration, and people of pretty much every age are on it now. Obviously more people are going to have voices

-Trump supporters are huge babies like their candidate is, and anytime anyone slightly speaks out against them they like to whine in the comments (usually saying to "stay out of politics" because they think that makes them look better than actually admitting they voted for the idiot). Basically they have incredibly thin skin, which is ironic since their favorite insult seems to be making fun of people who are "triggered" when they are triggered more easily than anyone I've ever seen

At least trump supporters aren't going around breaking windows and throwing a damn fit because they didn't get their way. I agree that trump supporters are genuinely retards, but still, who has the thinner skin here and is triggered more easily? 

If some fans are turned off by the band speaking out about what they believe in, then I say "good riddance (time of your life)" to them. 

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Billie's 40+, sober, experienced mind can't find more than chants and fucks to say? He's us to embodying what's wrong with "lalala cant hear you" extremists and it's annoying.

Have you read his interviews where he has spoken much more at length about his political beliefs recently? When he's trying to rev people up in concert, it's much more bluntly put, as one would expect at a punk concert. But his thoughts on the issue are much more substantial than what I think you're giving him credit for. 

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I don't see how he's coming off as childish. From the interviews he's done about Trump, I don't see anything childish about what he's saying. He's not coming across any more childish than he did back in 2004.

Wow now that you totally showed him about the Bono thing he said all his other arguments are invalid too! Thanks! 

My dad didn't really say much when they were bashing a president he liked in 2004.  This time though, he's aggravated and hates that they don't like who he voted for.  

So......yeah.  

From one person at least.   

You gotta remember that Dubya was President after 9/11 and that put the country into a trance for awhile. "We're afraid, take our freedom and invade any country you want!" said everyone. Though of course then by the time Iraq rolled around people started waking up and asking "why exactly are we fighting an imperialist war of aggression against a country that never attacked us" and the youth especially who are Green Day's biggest audience started snapping out of the trance and liked that antiwar, anti-Bush message.

These days it's a little different. The youth is still overwhelmingly anti-Trump but there are some supporters as well, and I think the young people who support Trump are basically nihilists. They're the ones who think "this world sucks, I like Trump because he will ruin fucking everything and that's what should happen." And nihilists hate everything including messages of antiracism because they just see it as whiny PC bullshit and they don't like it because it makes them uncomfortable since they're being called out for being nihilistic little shits. 

All that said, I think the vast majority of Green Day's fan base hated Dubya then and hate Trump now and it's not really a problem for them. 

10 hours ago, stories and songs said:

@T.C I'm not going to argue with you. I understand where you're coming from, and would never claim Hillary was the ideal candidate, even though I voted for her. But I really don't feel like fans are still dropping Green Day because they voted Democrat. That doesn't make much sense to me, especially when all the hate I see on their social media accounts is in regard to their views against Trump. I just doubt many would've been shocked a liberal band from the Bay Area would vote Democrat.

Really? You haven't seen the comments from fans claiming they are selling their albums and feel personally attacked by Billie Joes comments? And it's not that they voted democrat, it's that they voted for a female bush. Again, not saying go and vote trump, just maybe be critical of both candidates before voting, it would align more with their morals and piss off less of their fans. But whatever it's done now.

4 minutes ago, T.C said:

Really? You haven't seen the comments from fans claiming they are selling their albums and feel personally attacked by Billie Joes comments? And it's not that they voted democrat, it's that they voted for a female bush. Again, not saying go and vote trump, just maybe be critical of both candidates before voting, it would align more with their morals and piss off less of their fans. But whatever it's done now.

Why should Green Day or any other band pander? They should put out what they stand for and people can take it or leave it. 

2 minutes ago, Trotsky said:

Why should Green Day or any other band pander? They should put out what they stand for and people can take it or leave it. 

Of course they don't have to do anything. This topic is just why they are getting criticism and why some fans are pissed at the. Just throwing my two cents in on why and what they could have done differently. That's all :) 

Billie Joe isn't just stomping their feet on stage incoherently. But he can't very well engage others in a political debate on stage.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Cunt said:

At least trump supporters aren't going around breaking windows and throwing a damn fit because they didn't get their way. I agree that trump supporters are genuinely retards, but still, who has the thinner skin here and is triggered more easily? 

Trump supporters

And they did get their way...?

28 minutes ago, tdlyon said:

Trump supporters

And they did get their way...?

I'm afraid that's the wrong answer. Trump supporters are thin skin sons a bitches but they aren't breaking windows to businesses and damaging people's personal property. 

I remember criticism during the AI period, particularly them being called anti-American. But I feel one of the biggest reasons it seems like they're getting more shit now is that as others have said, the internet and social media have a huge presence. And Trump gave a lot of ignorant people a voice, so of course they want to cry out when someone says Fuck Trump. I think the coverage they get is funny...seeing those comments always give me a good chuckle. 

And, really, he's not a threat for minorities? Give me a break. I really don't want to get into this again, but that's not true. I get we've made some progress over the years, but it feels like he wants to take that away. I'm supposed to feel safe when this man was recorded saying grab them by the pussy they like that? It shows other people, hey that's okay! And it's fucking bullshit. And a lot of Trump supporters have shown how they really feel about non-whites, foreigners, LBGTQ people, etc. And yeah, it's scary. I hate having to worry about my LBG especially trans friends because they are at risk to getting hurt and in trans peoples cause, killed just for being who they are. And are we forgetting Mike Pence who is pretty much anti-LGBTQ? It's a shame. People have the right to be angry, because, again, this isn't about Hilary didn't win. It's about a bigot being in office. And she was a crook. Okay, they all are! But before this, Trump pretty much proved his bigotry. 

Getting back to Green Day, I'm happy they're taking a stand and it would seem wrong if they didn't, especially since their roots are in punk rock. I think others bring up an interesting point about those who don't agree with the band or who supported Trump...for whatever reason...feel marginalized. Interesting viewpoint, but I'm sorry, if anyone I knew supported Trump, even if they didn't agree with all his bigotry, it still changes how I see them. Because it's like saying oh I know he said this about women and stuff, but it's not that bad right? And I don't agree with it. If that's the case, why did you go with someone who so openly thinks behavior like that is okay? Not to mention the countless other disgusting things he said about other groups. Like others said earlier, Bush was dumb. Trump is scary. 

I'm happy that Green Day are standing up. It makes me and I'm sure, others feel like we're not alone and we have a right to be angry about what's going on. We don't need to get over it. We can fight against whatever bullshit he wants to pull because if you're in the minority group, you've been fighting all your life. And we'll continue to fight. And it's good to have a band like Green Day on our side. Still, I can understand why people want them to shut up about for a little. And I agree, sometimes you just want the music without the politics. 

Archived